Stealth Grow Plan Setup - Opinions

mackdaddyerb

Hi all

I have asked a few questions lately but have finally settled on the bits I think I will use, would love to hear what you think before I go ahead and buy it all

I am limited on space so I cannot get a bigger tent, let me know what you think

Setup inside wardrobe -

Main Setup

Tent - Secret Jardin DS60 3.0 60x60x140
Inline fan - 6" Phresh Hyper Fan with speed controller
Carbon filter - Phresh/Rhino Pro 6" x 300mm
LED - Mars Hydro 300w LED OR Mars ll 400w
Silencer - Phresh 6" x 18"

Extras

Hygrometer
Clip on fan 4"/6" for circulation inside tent
Uninsulated duct (small setup > don't like health hazards of insulated/fibreglass > want grow to have no hazard - silly I know)
Aluminium/foil tape to connect CF>Duct>Fan>Silencer
Bungies to hang fan, silencer and LED

Passive intake > Carbon filter inside tent > duct > Fan outside tent (possibly inside?) > Silencer > bedroom + open window

Growing autos. Personal

What do you think to this?

Will I get an alright yield in this size space with autos?
Will I eliminate all odor with this equipment in such a small area?
Do you think my LED choice is ok?
Will it be pretty damn quiet?

Cheers

I think I'd try one short/medium height Auto at a time.

It is not possible to eliminate all odor but you will get most of it.

I'd wager you can get 4oz at a time out of this setup if you have a decent green thumb...

The 400 I'd recommend but the 300 is kinda small.

May be too noisy with fan outside but inside ought to do it.

Venting out a window causes problems

How will you control temp and humidity with the window open?

It is no small challenge to be truly stealthy.

Sent from a hand built ganja phone I made entirely out of cannabis buds.

I think I'd try one short/medium height Auto at a time.

It is not possible to eliminate all odor but you will get most of it.

I'd wager you can get 4oz at a time out of this setup if you have a decent green thumb...

The 400 I'd recommend but the 300 is kinda small.

May be too noisy with fan outside but inside ought to do it.

Venting out a window causes problems

How will you control temp and humidity with the window open?

It is no small challenge to be truly stealthy.

Great response bud. 4oz sounds awesome, I am already studying grow stages, nutrients, temp and humidity to try achieve a good grow first time round, anything you think i should be focusing on?

The hyper fan I chose is supposed to be fairly quiet, and I would drop the speed using the speed controller to make it even quiet, with the equipment I'm using (hyperfan 6, speed controller, silencer, bungies) do you think it would still be fairly noisy? or similar to having a desk fan on full?

in regards to the window, i planned on getting a humidifier/dehumidifier, but didn't really consider temperature. If i didn't have a window open, the tent would cycle the rooms air and that would cause issues, do you think?
What do you think is a better alternative?

finally, I was under the impression that with a top quality CF, one plant and a small setup i would have no smell or very close to, do you really think it is impossible to achieve? :( (the window would have helped)

- definitely tricky for complete stealth

Thanks man

Thanks, man! I know a few things from experience but I am still very much a beginner so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Focus on creating an environment you are completely in control of.

Temperature and humidity are important!

LED will keep the temperature manageable by not making a whole lot of heat to begin with.

Dehumidifiers are helpful but I have found that they put lots of heat into the room which costs money to remove with air conditioning.

I think if I were you, I'd try to use the room you're growing in as a "lung room"... but make no mistake, you will have big energy bills especially if you live where it gets hot in summer.

Seal it off with weatherstripping around the door and stuff. Maybe even make a slight vacuum in the room by blowing a little air out the window or a dryer vent or something like that if u can cut holes in the wall. That slight vacuum will keep the odor from spreading thru the house. The house will allow some nice warm air into your lung room through and gaps that aren't completely sealed....

I think cycling the room's air thru the tent will provide plenty of quality air to the grow.

That gives you the opportunity to air condition and dehumidify the entire lung room which should keep the tent nice and consistent.

I have never used a top quality carbon filter so I can't really help there.

I also feel that checking PH accurately is super important. Many people get away with never paying much attention to it and that's fine... but many new growers start having trouble with the plants and don't know what to do to fix it. At that moment, having a quality ph pen is critically important. I prefer the Oakton model which retails for around $50 US.

I assume you will start with growing in soil, correct?

Once upon a time, I tried pumping my exhaust air up into the attic. Not long after that, I figured out that it was getting odor into all of the walls in the whole house. I'd be unlocking the exterior door of my house and the smell would be quite obvious. Clearly unacceptable!!!

I also feel that checking PH accurately is super important. Many people get away with never paying much attention to it and that's fine... but many new growers start having trouble with the plants and don't know what to do to fix it. At that moment, having a quality ph pen is critically important. I prefer the Oakton model which retails for around $50 US.

I assume you will start with growing in soil, correct?

My 2 cents on this, start with soil growing I find it far more forgiving. And if you don't want to invest in a pen immediately shake tests that come with ph up and down in a kit are solid.
Weighing in on not checking the PH too... I've noticed that once I know my mix the PH is the same everytime I make a solution. Benefits of well water, my apartment wasn't like this at all and I had to ph every batch. Didn't know if it would be up or down or on point.

I think there was something else.. oh well ill make another post in a little while.

Thanks, man! I know a few things from experience but I am still very much a beginner so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Focus on creating an environment you are completely in control of.

Temperature and humidity are important!

LED will keep the temperature manageable by not making a whole lot of heat to begin with.

Dehumidifiers are helpful but I have found that they put lots of heat into the room which costs money to remove with air conditioning.

I think if I were you, I'd try to use the room you're growing in as a "lung room"... but make no mistake, you will have big energy bills especially if you live where it gets hot in summer.

Seal it off with weatherstripping around the door and stuff. Maybe even make a slight vacuum in the room by blowing a little air out the window or a dryer vent or something like that if u can cut holes in the wall. That slight vacuum will keep the odor from spreading thru the house. The house will allow some nice warm air into your lung room through and gaps that aren't completely sealed....

I think cycling the room's air thru the tent will provide plenty of quality air to the grow.

That gives you the opportunity to air condition and dehumidify the entire lung room which should keep the tent nice and consistent.

I have never used a top quality carbon filter so I can't really help there.

The room I am growing in will be my bedroom lol, the tent will be inside wardrobe, I definitely wanna make it the best environment for the tent (and me haha) and since i live in spain, its definitely gonna be a hot summer which is worrying me temp wise. hopefully i will be able to keep the humidity under control by either increasing airflow toward end stages of grow (to dehumidify, but if the air is too humid outside, this won't work, right?) or using a humidifier to increase it (i think with the warm temps i will mainly need to dehumidify, in the later stages)

As for keeping the tent cool enough, this is my main concern, if the air temperature outside (or in the room) is too high it might cause me some problems because i don't have AC in that room, only oscillating fans. When I have the door shut in that room and the window open, the room is fairly windy - If i have a window open in another room as well, there is definitely some kind of vacuuming going on, but hopefully not inward to the house! Unfortunately I can't cut holes in the room because its rented

in regards to clip fan, I chose one because my tent is so small so i am limited on floor space, wouldn't you agree?

The PH I'm gona check out right now :) thanks man

and in regard to your attic situation, I never though about that. I bet it seeped into the insulation and spread like wildfire through the house lol

Finally, are you saying that i don't need the window open? and exhausting into the room (door closed) then cycling back into the tent will be OK?

Thanks again man

My 2 cents on this, start with soil growing I find it far more forgiving. And if you don't want to invest in a pen immediately shake tests that come with ph up and down in a kit are solid.
Weighing in on not checking the PH too... I've noticed that once I know my mix the PH is the same everytime I make a solution. Benefits of well water, my apartment wasn't like this at all and I had to ph every batch. Didn't know if it would be up or down or on point.

I think there was something else.. oh well ill make another post in a little while.

Thanks for your input dude, Im going to check this out right now. If i have the money, would the pen be an easier/better option? is it worth it? or just less labour intensive

Thanks for your input dude, Im going to check this out right now. If i have the money, would the pen be an easier/better option? is it worth it? or just less labour intensive
pH meter on eBay for great prices. Just don't go cheap cheap!! I spent only 25 bucks on a pH/TDS/TEMP METER all in one. I forget brand name but as long as it doesn't fail on me and I calibrate it bi-weekly then everything goes great. Right now since I live in Seattle, it's cold so I keep my meter stored in my tent. I noticed when it gets cold then it throws the calibration off

my new dwc Afghan Kush run and flowering mothers

I had problems in soil - mostly due to my inexperience - and once the problems started, checking the runoff ph accurately was impossible for me using the "shake" style kit.

Since those kits require the user to match up a color to determine the ph, my issue with them is that nutrient solutions have a brownish color before you even try to test ph. That color makes the ph test impossible to accurately match the correct color. Same problem checking the runoff water.

I am sure it can be done by some but for me, the pen is a requirement.

I have experimented with cheap ones, and expensive ones (Blue brand) and all have disappointed me except the Oakton.

The room I am growing in will be my bedroom lol, the tent will be inside wardrobe, I definitely wanna make it the best environment for the tent (and me haha) and since i live in spain, its definitely gonna be a hot summer which is worrying me temp wise. hopefully i will be able to keep the humidity under control by either increasing airflow toward end stages of grow (to dehumidify, but if the air is too humid outside, this won't work, right?) or using a humidifier to increase it (i think with the warm temps i will mainly need to dehumidify, in the later stages)

As for keeping the tent cool enough, this is my main concern, if the air temperature outside (or in the room) is too high it might cause me some problems because i don't have AC in that room, only oscillating fans. When I have the door shut in that room and the window open, the room is fairly windy - If i have a window open in another room as well, there is definitely some kind of vacuuming going on, but hopefully not inward to the house! Unfortunately I can't cut holes in the room because its rented

in regards to clip fan, I chose one because my tent is so small so i am limited on floor space, wouldn't you agree?

The PH I'm gona check out right now :) thanks man

and in regard to your attic situation, I never though about that. I bet it seeped into the insulation and spread like wildfire through the house lol

Finally, are you saying that i don't need the window open? and exhausting into the room (door closed) then cycling back into the tent will be OK?

Thanks again man

I think you will definitely need AC in that room especially for summer but maybe beyond that.

I also think a dehumidifier will be necessary during summer and a humidifier in winter.

The setup you describe results in negative pressure in the tent. With the walls of tent sucking in, I find it's difficult to attach the clip fans to the framework of the tent... and they don't oscillate.

This fan is about 33 cm tall and it oscillates approximately 90 degrees so putting on a small platform in corner of tent works great

420-magazine-mobile537229372.jpg

But the clip fan will be ok. You can fashion something to attach it securely.

Regarding your window, I suppose if you keep an eye on the weather, you can open and close the window during the milder part of the year to keep the temperature where you need it.

Perhaps you can grow enough during the cooler parts of year to shut the grow down for the summer and avoid some major hassle!

I think you will definitely need AC in that room especially for summer but maybe beyond that.

I also think a dehumidifier will be necessary during summer and a humidifier in winter.

The setup you describe results in negative pressure in the tent. With the walls of tent sucking in, I find it's difficult to attach the clip fans to the framework of the tent... and they don't oscillate.

This fan is about 33 cm tall and it oscillates approximately 90 degrees so putting on a small platform in corner of tent works great

420-magazine-mobile537229372.jpg

But the clip fan will be ok. You can fashion something to attach it securely.

Regarding your window, I suppose if you keep an eye on the weather, you can open and close the window during the milder part of the year to keep the temperature where you need it.

Perhaps you can grow enough during the cooler parts of year to shut the grow down for the summer and avoid some major hassle!

So you don't think keeping the window open for 'fresh air' is necessary? I can just keep recycling the room?

The more simple the better for starting in soil... I crash coursed my way into growing with bagseeds. Used 2 bucks a bag potting soil, 20lb bags of ewc, cut 50% with perlite... fed seaweed based nutes until bloom... then used what I could afford back then that was high in P.... lots of failures in soil as well. But plenty more from other styles.

EBnFLO, my nutes tint it too. The go line are a pretty dark bunch. I use a piece of printer paper and lay it down so I know what true white looks like then compare. Just offering a solution that doesnt require electronics!

Some folks don't like dealing with calibration or getting into a routine of taking care of meters.

The shake tests run around 9-15 bucks, so even if you have electronics it can never hurt to have a manual backup right?

Not saying the pens aren't user friendly, everyone has a preference. I prefer to have less things to fail... leave as many problems as possible to human error only

Depending on how soon I start doing this, I will get a hygrometer to check out the environment in the room so that i have a rough idea :)

Also some more input, I'd say I'm on the stealth end for my grow size. Check out my journal and skim through the pictures. It's a converted closet that pulls air under the door into the first chamber, through duct into the top tent. The air then gets pulled through my fan and pushed into a 4 in carbon filter. If the fans on high you can hear it with the rooms door closed... on low its 30db or less. No matter what a company says, moving air makes sound and there will certainly be some

Back
Top Bottom