300W LED, Northern Lights & Pineapple Express, Auto, Hydro, 2nd Grow With Love

PopoPipo

420 Member
Hey Friends and Family! :love:

I am pleased to finally have some time to sit down and start this second grow journal. For everyone who hasn't seen my first grow yet, check it out. It might be helpful to understand some of the stuff I'm about to mention =)

300W LED - Hydroponic - Moby Dick - First Grow - With Love

But let's get right to it!

This time I'm trying to grow two plants at once, since the last time I actually had quite a bit of room left in my closet.
The first choice of auto strain was Northern Lights, which is simply one of my favourites and usually gives me very vivid, visual impressions during my high! And the second one was out of sheer excitement for my setup. Pineapple Express! I've never had it, but since I can grow my own bud, and reviews praise it, I decided this was the right one to go for.

P10709621.JPG

So, I started off the same as last time, by putting the seeds in water.

P10709671.JPG

P10709701.JPG

Then, about 24 hours later, I saw them opening up.

P10800483.JPG

P10800462.JPG

It was time to move them onto a demp paper towel, inside a paper plate.

P10800493.JPG

Three days later the roots were long enough to transfer them into a 50/50 mix of coco coir and perlite.

P10800832.JPG

P10800842.JPG

P10800861.JPG

My last baby actually suffered quite a bit in the beginning, so I learned from my mistakes and cut slits in the side of the plastic cups for fresh air exchange. then I put them inside my (empty) grow closet next to a dialed down fan and my 50W 6600k LED corn cob light.

P1080087.JPG

The closet was empty, because I had to make some crucial changes to my setup! The first thing I upgraded was the water container, or to be more precise, the way to access it. My idea was to somehow have the water move through two containers. One for the weeds and one for simple access to check PH and give nutrients.

I got the right sized containers and modified thema bit. During my last grow I noticed severe algae growth inside the bucket, which could result in clogging of tubes, or pumps. Thus I decided to cover the entire water cycle as good as possible with aluminium foil (and tape to prevent rips).

DSC4130.JPG

DSC4135.JPG

DSC4140.JPG

DSC4145.JPG

The smaller container needed a non-see through "trunk" to cover the the opening where the tubes would enter/exit.

DSC4099.JPG

DSC41001.JPG

DSC41011.JPG

DSC4115.JPG

DSC41181.JPG

DSC4119.JPG

DSC4124.JPG

DSC41221.JPG

DSC4127.JPG

DSC4129.JPG

Afterwards I spraypainted everything white and moved onto the next problem I had before - cooling -

I did some research online and found out about Peltier cooling/heating. It's basically a chip which heats up one one side and cools down on the other, when you run electricity through it.
Just check out this video for more info.:
www youtube com/watch?v=Ipt8xqKbCSw

I actually just stuck to that tutorial and put together this cooling device.

DSC4095.JPG

DSC4096.JPG

DSC4097.JPG

I enhanced the idea though, by insulating the coolers with styrofoam.

DSC4143.JPG

Then it was time to install it all veeery professionally with toothpicks and double sided tape ^^

IMG_222020.JPG

IMG_222119.JPG

Notice the styrofoam. The back wall of the closet is actually so thin, it would be constantly fighting a battle of cooling down from the inside and heating up from the outside if the styrofoam wasn't there. So, if you're planning of copying any of this, make sure you take some time to think about heating dispersion and direction of air flow. SUPER IMPORTANT!!

IMG_222530.JPG

A few days later (day 19 after putting the seeds in water) I decided my babies had become big enough to say hello to their new home.

DSC41051.JPG

DSC4110.JPG

I started by putting 4 plastic bags inside the smaller container, because it was put together from two smaller ones and I didn't want to risk any leakeage.

IMG_223123.JPG

Next, I added an extra tube on the intake of the water pump and cut a few holes in it, because I didn't want a piece of the plastic bag to clog the whole thing.

IMG_223428.JPG

I also did the same to the end of the "compensation tube" (I'll explain it in a second)

IMG_223729.JPG

Okay, so basically waterpump and the end of the "compensation tube" sit in the smaller container...

IMG_223625.JPG

The water pump will pump the water through an added splitter to each of the flower pots. There it will drip down into the big tank and raise the water level. Inside of the big container is the intake of the "compensation tube" which is on both ends submerged in water and fully filled with it (no air, important!). Whenever the pressure on one side rises, the water will automatically flow through the tube and intend to create equal pressure on both sides. (google "Siphon" if this is hard four you to understand. It's a neat concept, especially if you're thinking of growing hydroponically)

IMG_223928.JPG

IMG_222622.JPG

Next to the "compensation tube" you can also see the stone of the air pump, which helps oxygenize the water. I also applied silicone to the hole where both tubes access the tank, to prevent leakeage in case the "compensation tube" gets clogged by roots or anything. Also worth mentioning:
The water needs to rise a bit in the big tank until the pressure is high enough to flow back to the smaller tank, so keep that in mind, if you plan to build a similar setup!

All the tubes that have water run through them are covered in a layer of aluminium foil and tape, to keep light out of the whole cycle.

IMG_222924.JPG

After figuring out these things it was finally time to put my babies into the bigger pots. I added perlite and put them in the holes of the lid, which I prepared.
(I will switch to using pebbles in the future. The perlite is too small and gets everywhere where it's not supposed to!)

IMG_224226.JPG

And my setup was so far finished! I was anxious for a few days, if the whole thing would leak or the siophoning would work, but so far I only had a bit of trouble with the splitted tubes that go to the pots and apparently needed smaller nozzles, or else the water would only come out on one side.

IMG_226324.JPG

I also added some wire to the tubes, to have them stay in place a bit better and a holder which you see in the pictures later.

IMG_224524.JPG

IMG_225621.JPG

The peltier cooler works quite well. It's connected to the temperature regulated fans, that start up when it gets over 24°C / 75°F

Some of these pictures were taken a week later (I messed up the dates on my pics a bit)
(Day 26 after germination) and as you can see, the plants are healthy, but not growing quite as fast as one would hope.

IMG_225228.JPG

IMG_224622.JPG

IMG_225027.JPG

IMG_224921.JPG

IMG_636312.JPG

IMG_636410.JPG

This is the Northern Lights three days later. (Day 29 after germination)

IMG_63818.JPG

A few days later I noticed brown spots again!! This was the same pattern of weak growth which I had seen on my Moby Dick before and I searched the internet one more time to look for an answer. I had before tried out adding more magnesium, keeping the PH more steady, lowering the overall temperature, but nothing worked. Then I found out about calcium deficency, which looks very similar to all of those other plant problems.

IMG_640912.JPG

Hence, I decided to add (way) more MagneCal than my general hydroponics nutrient chart from growweedeasy dot com had suggested and holy shit you guys... This fixed the problem!! Just a few hours later I could tell, they were doing much better. This is them only five days later (Day 36 after germination)

IMG_643511.JPG

The brown spots stopped occuring since I give them more calcium and apparently it is also crucial for stem development and coping with higher temperatures.
Day 39 after germination)
(Notice the hanging leaves at nighttime)

IMG_645015.JPG

After a bit more research, this actually seems to be a ccommon problem for hydro growers who keep the PH low. I have mine at around 5.75, but honestly I am just happy I figured it out in time and can watch my babies grow a few centimeters each day! (Day 41)

(don't hate me for all those pics, I smoked some Moby Dick and am desperately in love with my new babies!)

P11201312.JPG

P11201281.JPG

P11201172.JPG

P1120111.JPG

P11201272.JPG

P11201221.JPG

P11201251.JPG

P11201382.JPG

P1120140.JPG

P11201431.JPG

Here are some closeups of the leaves. I just wanted to test the limits of my macro lens :p

P1120149.JPG

P11201551.JPG

P11201571.JPG

P11201601.JPG

Other than that, I haven't really been very active. Just adding nutes every day and watching out for any problems. There are a few more things I'd like to upgrade on my setup, but as long as everything works, there is no rush really. Either way I will keep you up to date.

Okay, that's it so far. I think the experience I gained during these past four months have helped me quite a bit and I hope to be able to show you a greater yield and fatter buds this time! =)

In case of suggestions, or questions please shoot, I'd like to hear your thoughts on what I have going on at the moment.

For example, I also want to try trimming some of the smaller, lower buds in advance, to have less but bigger ones in the end. - Thoughts on trimming autos?

Much Love,

- Pipo

Re: 300W LED - Northern Lights & Pineapple Express - Auto - Hydro - 2nd Grow - With

Sooo...
It's been a while. The plants have already been ripe and processed, but I haven't had much time for the documentation. So here it is:

(Day 82)

For a bit over a month I didn't take any pictures, but they had become, what I started lovingly calling "the bush".

P1130044.JPG

They had used up the entire space, which the wardrobe had to offer, but they were thriving!

P11300611.JPG

Out of uncertainty I decided to not trim the bottom buds, but retrospectively I should have done it. Look at all the little budlets on the bottom, that don't get much light from the top.

P1130057.JPG

P11300601.JPG

I had also noticed, that the Nortern Lights (on the left) had grown a bit bigger than the Pineapple. It's a hard to tell, but most of the branches in this picture are actually from the Northern Lights.

P11300591.JPG

The Pineapple had much bigger buds though and, to my pleasent surprise, was covered in sugary goodness. I had only seen this before in pictures online!

P1130058.JPG

Pineapple big and fat:

P1130067.JPG

Northern Lights, big in numbers, not so much in size. (relatively speaking ;-)

P1130056.JPG

They turned out to be much bigger than my first grow, because I actually installed two further lamps, which added my wattage count to 900! (real wattage around 370. But those intense LEDs still got me some foxtailing and slights burns)
Here we can see, that the Northern Lights was slightly sooner mature than her closet companion. (There are a few amber trichomes)

NL:

P11300331.JPG

P11300361.JPG

The Pineapple was at this point just milky white:

P1130040.JPG

P11300411.JPG

(Day 89)

A week later they were already flushing and maturing as planned.

NL:

P1130175.JPG

Pineapple:

P1130180.JPG

P1130183.JPG

(Day 93) Harvest!

They had been flushing for over a week and I decided to harvest the NL. People will say I should have waited longer, but I'm not a huge fan of Indica and it's couchlock, hence its few amber trichomes.

P1130195.JPG

Pineapple:

P1130197.JPG

The rest was pretty standart I just cut her down...

P1130214.JPG

P1130212.JPG

and trimmed branch after branch.

P1130200.JPG

P1130204.JPG

Like seen before, the buds were plenty, but comparitively small. I need to def. trim the lower part when they hit the flower period.

P1130225.JPG

Cutting her down was a little bit more work, but she was still really nice to smoke. Intense couchlock for the first few weeks!

A day later (Day 94) I harvested the Pineapple Express. Look how lonely she looks, all by herself in the corner.

P1130229.JPG

P1130228.JPG

As if her other half was missing :)

P1130231.JPG

Unfortunately I couldn't find the pics that I took from the full jars of ganja. The Northern Lights brought me 120g dry weight in total and the Pineapple around 65g.

What I do have, are pictures of the biggest and most delicious Pineapple buds! =)

IMG_0019234.JPG

IMG_0022217.JPG

And this is a whole dried and trimmed NL branch.

IMG_0026197.JPG

Alright alright. In conclusion I'm really glad that this grow turned out the way I did. I definitely made some improofments and mistakes, which I will try to undo the next time. I am actually already working on tweeking my setup for the next grow. It's gonna be 3 different plants this time and I have no idea how this will turn out, but I'm confident. I will also try to post more often, but I can't promise you guys anything X-)

Okay that's it. Leave a comment if you like, I'll also answer questions about my setup. LED hydro is a tricky thing, especially in a tight space, but I made it work and I'm proud as shit about it!

Keep it up guys!

- Pipo

Re: 300W LED - Northern Lights & Pineapple Express - Auto - Hydro - 2nd Grow - With

Found some more pics!

Slaughterhouse!

IMG_68776.JPG

Always strange seeing this much weed at once.

IMG_68799.JPG

I dry those leaves and mix them with dope. Fuck tobacco!

IMG_68805.JPG

Biggest Pineapple Express bud!

IMG_68827.JPG

Peace,

- Pipo

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

You can use the Report feature found at the bottom left of every post and we'll move it for you right away.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom