Crashdog's 1st Grow Journal - How To Torture Small Leafy Things - DWC

Crashdog

Welcome to my Journal
Let me start out by saying I am a HORRIBLE Gardner. Most of my shit dies. Outdoors, I'll plant 3 pots of cukes, 3 in a pot into 3 hills (9 F'n plants) and maybe get 15-20 cukes. My folks will take one pot, divide it up into 1 plant per hill - 3 hills, and get over 100 cukes.

So I decided to go hydroponics. I never even heard about hydro till Nov when i was reading about the new MA legalization laws. But reading about growing weed and Hydro was very interesting so I was hooked.

So here is the basic of my grow equipment
4x4 tent
2 - Mars Hydro 600's
4 — 5 gal buckets for DWC. 2 home made. When I was looking for parts I found a grow store 3 miles from my home so I bought 2 pre made Buckets.
Rapid Rooters
Fox Farm for hydro Nutes.

(lots of cutting and pasting from my offline journal)

Seeds
o White Widow — Nirvana
 Hybrid — Sativa high, energizing (60:40 sativa/indica ratio random web review)
 Height — Medium
 Flowering — 8-10 WKS
 THC - High
o White Widow — 420
 40% - 60% Indica dominant
 Height - Average (80/120 cm - 32"/47")
 Flowering - Average (60 days)
 THC - High at 18%
o Gold Leaf - 420
 40% - 60% Indica dominant
 Height - Tall (100/225 cm - 39"/89")
 Flowering - Average (63 days)
 THC - Very high at 21%
o AK-47 - Oregon Seeds
 Hybrid — Mostly Sativa
 Height - ? (39"-59")
 Flowering — 8-9 WKS
 THC — Potent (very strong order and smoke ((seriousseeds.com) (20%)

Our Journey begins on the evening of Feb 4th

- 2/4 — 8:00 pm - All Seed soaking in their own glass of WARM Water
- 2/5 — 6:30 am
o White Widow (Nirvana) and AK-47 sank with a finger tap 10.5 hours later. The other 2 did not.
o Gold Leaf sank by 8:00 AM the other White Widow did not
- 2/5 — 8:30 am - Planted seeds in upside down Rapid Rooter and put in small Dome. Put in tent on heating pad with lights out.
- 2/7 - 6:45 am — 2 sprouted - AK47 and WW-Nirvana
- 2/7 - Early afternoon the Gold Leaf sprouted with helmet attached
- 2/7 - Moved the CFL over the germination hut. It was about 10"- 15" away. Cord was too short.
- 2/7 - Turned on LED and left at 47" for about 6 hours. Dropped it down to 36" before I went to bed.
**edit* WTF was i thinking? why was i doing this in my tent? It was a CFL with a clamp. I could of done this anywhere and got the bulb closer.
o Put drops of water on GL casing and a little spit before I went to bed
- 2/8 - I pulled of the casing with my finger

Here is a picture with her helmet on.

GL_helmet_on.JPG

The 2nd WW never sprouted.
Pic of my 3 first born. ( **Edit** why did i use LED lighting for this pic?**)
3rd_sprouted_Gold_Leaf.JPG

2/8 I soaked another White Widow in a glass over night.

I had to move the other 3 gals to the DWC buckets so i could use the dome. (**edit** this is a lie. I put them in the DWC before dropping sowing that 2nd WW. Was I drinking?)

all_3_buckets.JPG

2/9 am - WW seed sank after a finger tap. Put her in a Rapid Rooter pointy side up and under the dome with a heat mat.

2/10 PM Added Less than ¼ strength nutes to buckets. Strength based of 3 gals. Buckets have closer to 4 at the moment
- WW sprouted but stem is curled.

2/11 - she still hasn't busted out yet.

2nd_WW_trying_to_come_out1.JPG

2nd_WW_trying_to_come_out2.JPG

2-12 - the AK47 (Alice) and Golden Leaf(Goldie) have started their 2nd set of true leaves. The 1st White Widow(Wendy N) has not. Moved Wendy back into the dome. * edit she should never been in the DWC yet in the first place. I have not seen any roots coming out of the RR yet**

Helped the 2nd WW(Wilma G) bust out. She is long and lanky. Should of done this earlier.
Helped_the_WW_out_of_her_hole.JPG

2-13 AM - Wendy liked the move back to the dome. Her leaves have gotten bigger. She is now hitting the top of the dome. (*edit* Why didn't i just use a solo cup and cut open water bottle instead of that cheap ass dome?)
2_WW_under_dome.JPG

2-13 PM - AHHH Crap, I forgot to water my gals. The WW 1 is doing ok under the dome but WW2 is laying on her side and the RR is bone dry. I did tucked her stem a little deeper in the whole and propped her up a bit. Gave them both a good spray of ph'd water.
She recovered well after a few hours

2-13 Pics of Alice and Goldie. They are doing well
Alice
IMG_104531.JPG

And Goldie
IMG_104444.JPG

2-14 - Alice,Goldie and Wendy are 1 week old.
Wendy and Wilma are looking better. Moved Wendy back in the tent. she is to tall for the dome. Turned on the 2nd Mars Hydro 600 for her with a height of 40" . I have a T5 4'/4bulb on the way that put in the tent tomorrow.

I officially named my plants on this day
- AK47- Alice Kay or AK
- Gold Leaf — Goldie
- White Widow (Nirvana) Wendy N.
- White Widow (420) Wilma L. Grow or Wilma G.

Lowered Alice's and Goldie's LED from 24" to 22"

- 2-18 — 3:00 pm
o Nute burn on Alice and Goldie. Why did I give them more nutes when they arnt even 2 wks old? Dumped some water out of them both and added tap water. PH'd after.
o Added some Hydroguard to Alice and Goldie
Both Alice and Goldie have a root coming thru the net pot

Built a stand and a cool "Wack-A-Mole" style game to help me get thru these boring winter months. I got bored with it very quickly. It didn't work very well, the moles wouldn't go back in their holes. I' guess I'll use it for growing Cukes and Tomatoes. Dog wanted his toys back anyway. I'll add another light for Cloning and Vegging.
Oh ya and the WW are back under the LED Yikes

Pics

Wack-A-Mole
Wack_a_Mole2.JPG

A little nute burn.
Nute_burn_on_tips.JPG

WOO HOO! A Crashdog journal! And it's off to an awesome start! (The journal... not the plants. hahahaha)
I'm digging the internal "WTF moment" honesty. This is going to be a good read.

Good luck, and I hope you can grow weeds better than you grow cucumbers. :)

Thanks Rider,
That means a lot coming from you. Reading your journal is the highlight of my day. Now I must get back to Russian Roulette.
Just Kidding. As a matter of fact one of my co-workers asked me "How the F can you be so happy all the time"? Obviously he had no idea that I was growing weed, torturing plants is a lot of fun. And it's possible the ugly divorce he is going thru might make him a little bitter. Who knows?

So lets get to the fun. It's 3 of my gals 2 wk birthday. Alice and Goldie are doing wonderful. They said to say high to everyone. ( the veno is kicking in me thinks) . Wendy on the other hand is the red headed step child of the 3. Even Wilma has out grown her. Granted she has been in and out of the grow tent a few times. Switched from LED to t5's then back to led then back to t5. Screamed at a bunch of times and apologized to almost as much. But hay, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger right? That works for weed also ? If she survives she is going to be killer.....I hope. On the other hand she might be dead already but just doesn't know it.
She still has no roots poking out of the Rapid Rooter. Yes, yes yes,, I fucked up. I know. I blame the dog. bad dog.

So here is our gal 4 days ago on the 17th. She is the one on the bottom

IMG_106937.JPG

Here she is tonight. She looked the same last night. She is droopy and her new leaves are much darker. I'm up for any and all suggestions for saving this gal.

Wendy21.JPG

Here are some pics of the other birthday gals Alice (AK-47) and Goldie (Golden Leaf). I dropped the water level down to 1" under the net pot and gave them 1/4 strength nutes last night. They have some good root growth going on.

Alice_and_Goldie_2wks_old.JPG

Alice

Alice18.JPG

Goldie

Goldie.JPG

Here is a pic of Wilma (White widow - 420) She spouted on 2-10 and has also been abused :( . She finally has some roots poking thru the Rapid Rooter and went back in the tent tonight.

Wilma

Wilma_1.JPG
Wilma_2.JPG
IMG_109450.JPG

:peacetwo:

I feel like a pimp daddy. Or maybe it's the Sailor Jerry, but if Wilma doesn't get her shit together then she's going to be bobbing knob on ugly dudes under a flickering old neon sign in a back alley. She should be your star performer! White Widow is every noob's dream come true. They grow despite everything we do wrong! Low light? No problem. High pH? They got this! Too much water? Bring it on, rubber ducky. Maybe if you smack her around and talk mean to her. That's what I do to my girls.

Or.... you could try watering the Hydroton two or three times a day without getting the starter cube wet to entice her to perform. That's why I went with a RDWC system. I'm way too lazy (and SQUIRREL!) to water on any kind of schedule so the pump with a perimeter drip system just made sense.

Easy thing is Dwc anyone can grow it with the right chemicals and a light and consistent monitoring of ph and root temp any question I'm here for yah

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Oh and make sure your hydroton is covering your tops of the rapid rooters.

I thought I said that. Didn't I say that? I should have said that. Hey Crashdog... what she said. ^^^

Back
Top Bottom