My First Time: AK47 & Gold Bar Kush

MrGreene

I've never grown before and the only thing I've smoked is tobacco. Lets change that.

First one ready for liftoff.
20170209_231628.jpg

Aren't they cute when they're little?
20170214_172638.jpg

And here we are today.
20170219_002650.jpg

re: My First Time - AK47 & Gold Bar Kush

These are the lights for the tomato plants. Lol.

20170212_204643.jpg

I have 13 of the 50w flood lights. The plan is to use some of them for grow lights. There are 5 of the gray ones in warm white, 4 of the black in warm white, and 4 in cool white.
20170219_222240.jpg

I also have 10 of the 10w flood lights and a few strings of leds to use as side lighting as needed.

I haven't settled on where my grow area will be yet. It'll either be a 2' x 3' corner of a closet or a 2' x 3' set of shelves.....or both. For now a bathroom will work.

First through the door. :woohoo:

I don't believe I've ever seen anyone use floodlights for grow lights before. Will they give you the necessary spectrum?

Glad you made it Sue. Thanks for stopping by.

I hope they work out. They were cheap. I think they ended up costing me less than $5 each for the 50w and $0.55 each for the 10w.

The cool white are listed as 6000-6500k and the warm white are 2800-3500k. Seems like those are about the right color temperatures I've read about working ok but don't know if they will be adequate.

I moved them under one of the cool white lights yesterday and they are still looking ok. It's listed as 50w (33w actual according to the kill-a-watt) and its a cob so I'm hoping it'll work out. I don't have $500 or more to spend on a quality light right now. If it gets to looking like these won't work then my backup plans include a couple boxes of cfl that I have from when I switched everything to led and/or some old lights from a gas station canopy.

Glad to have you here Radogast.

Lets hope that my many ideas work out or someone wiser corrects me before it is too late. It wouldn't be my first hand slap or spanking. LOL

I am amazed at how much character they have right away.

Subscribed :)

I can see you are full of ideas.

Yes, seedlings are cute little things.

Thanks for stopping by DA.

The plan is for a 2 foot by 3 foot grow area with 4 of the floodlights. Cool white for Veg and warm white for flower. I haven't built the grow area yet, so they will just hang out in a bathroom until I do.

I bet they will work though to be honest it's just the amount of coverage. What size is your area?

Sent from my HTC One using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I thought it might be a little soon but decided to transplant anyway so they could be monitored a few days before I have to leave town.

They had some roots showing. AK47 had some fine ones showing and the GBK had the tap root searching.
20170220_225612.jpg

I hope they enjoy having a little more room and that I've done the swick correctly.
20170220_230200.jpg

They each have their own 50w cob flood light.
20170220_230229.jpg

Now I'll have to wait and see if they're ok with what I've done to them.

The IP65 50W appears to be rated at 4,000 lumens (250W standard light bulb, 60W flourescent)

That's a lot of light for seedlings.

I don't think that 2x50W lights will hurt them, but depending on the distance there might be too much heat from 100W.

How far away are the lights from the top(canopy) of the seedlings?
Do you know the temperature at the canopy?

P.S. You don't want to bury your pots in the SWICK. They will be OK for 3-4 days, but after you get back you should probably lift the pots above the perlite for a few days to let the soil dry out. From what I have seen (and done,) the #1 reason seedlings die is too much water.

When plants are in veg, you want them to grow roots more than anything else. To grow good roots, they have to go looking for the water. After they grow good roots, they can grow good buds.

Hi Rad,

I got the email about this message last night and was up checking on the girls a couple times through the night. They seem to be doing ok for now. I'm willing to change/adjust whatever is needed to be successful.

I don't know if the ratings of the lights are accurate. They could be but it's China ratings. Lol. 50w Chinese equals 33w in the rest of the world. I am clueless about how much is enough light and would appreciate any more guidance you can offer.

The temperature has been staying around 27c/81f.

Top of the plants are 3 1/2" to 4" below the lights.

These are strangely shaped pots, labeled as an orchid pot. They're pretty short for the diameter. I chose them because of the extra holes in the side at the bottom in hopes that it would allow the roots to breathe. I have fabric pots ordered but they haven't arrived yet. I think they are sitting about 1/2" into the perlite and the water level is another inch or more below that. I can raise them or add more perlite if you think I should.

This is all new to me, although I have spent the past few weeks reading a lot and trying to absorb as much as I can.

The IP65 50W appears to be rated at 4,000 lumens (250W standard light bulb, 60W flourescent)

That's a lot of light for seedlings.

I don't think that 2x50W lights will hurt them, but depending on the distance there might be too much heat from 100W.

How far away are the lights from the top(canopy) of the seedlings?
Do you know the temperature at the canopy?

P.S. You don't want to bury your pots in the SWICK. They will be OK for 3-4 days, but after you get back you should probably lift the pots above the perlite for a few days to let the soil dry out. From what I have seen (and done,) the #1 reason seedlings die is too much water.

When plants are in veg, you want them to grow roots more than anything else. To grow good roots, they have to go looking for the water. After they grow good roots, they can grow good buds.

Hi Rad,

I got the email about this message last night and was up checking on the girls a couple times through the night. They seem to be doing ok for now. I'm willing to change/adjust whatever is needed to be successful.

I don't know if the ratings of the lights are accurate. They could be but it's China ratings. Lol. 50w Chinese equals 33w in the rest of the world. I am clueless about how much is enough light and would appreciate any more guidance you can offer.

The temperature has been staying around 27c/81f.

Top of the plants are 3 1/2" to 4" below the lights.

These are strangely shaped pots, labeled as an orchid pot. They're pretty short for the diameter. I chose them because of the extra holes in the side at the bottom in hopes that it would allow the roots to breathe. I have fabric pots ordered but they haven't arrived yet. I think they are sitting about 1/2" into the perlite and the water level is another inch or more below that. I can raise them or add more perlite if you think I should.

This is all new to me, although I have spent the past few weeks reading a lot and trying to absorb as much as I can.

Seems I jumped to some conclusions 81F and 48% RH right there at the plant level - excellent.
I have seedlings at 81F and 53% RH right now. I wish I had learned that 3 years ago :)

Orchid pots! Burried 1/2" deep in perlite to make good contact with the soil and water 1" below. That is exceptionally good use of the SWICK.

Sorry to upset your sleep. You have everything well in hand for the next week or so.

---

I'll go hide in the corner now.

Thanks Rad. The way I see it is you are watching out for me and I appreciate that.

I wasn't positive if 81f was ok or at the limit of where we need to be so I followed your recommendation and raised the lights an inch last night.

I had them on 20/4 and changed it to 18/6 last night also since I sleep when they do. Maybe that will help with my sleep. It seems like I read that they can build roots better during lights off also.

I'm sure there's something I haven't thought of or that I'll mess up.

Seems I jumped to some conclusions 81F and 48% RH right there at the plant level - excellent.
I have seedlings at 81F and 53% RH right now. I wish I had learned that 3 years ago :)

Orchid pots! Burried 1/2" deep in perlite to make good contact with the soil and water 1" below. That is exceptionally good use of the SWICK.

Sorry to upset your sleep. You have everything well in hand for the next week or so.

---

I'll go hide in the corner now.

Back
Top Bottom