Sour OG Clones Indoor Soil, 2017

Well, here goes...! I picked up a few Sour OG clones about a week ago. Unfortunately, one of the ladies was damaged in transport so I immediately tried the cloning method I'm familiar with and put her in a Bio-Dome. She has been in there for 10 days now and I'm not sure if she's rooting, but she's green so I'll let her chill for a while longer. As for the other two. I've got them under flourescents and they are about 2 inches away from the light. I've got a mini split system AC and heating system in my garage and this is providing me my circulation and a bit of stress on the plants (just enough to thicken up the stalks and branches. I'm using straight Happy Frog Soil, the brown bag. I transplanted the two ladies into 3 gallon pots a few days ago and there was no shock. I've been spraying the leaves with RO water and the minimal amount of super thrive the back of the bottle says to add (1 drop per cup of water). I've got some Flora Nova but have not used it yet. I'm not sure of the nutrients within the Happy Frog and how long it will last, but I don't want to burn the ladies some I'm monitoring them. The leaves are a nice solid green with a little burning at the tips, but nothing serious. I topped them yesterday and am hoping to train my plants with 8 tops. Think about a Menorah... Keeping things simple my first time around, I'm just back to my green thumb. Thanks for any recommendations, thoughts, advise, etc.

IMG_75013.JPG

https://www.420magazine.com/community/gallery/1333829

I've decided to keep a written journal in my grow area as well. I will keep more of the mundane details, observations, training techniques etc. So far, as stated, I'm keeping it pretty simple. Where I live we have natural spring water that is fed out through the cities water system, the ph is about 7.6 from the tap. I'm going to use tap water with the Flora Nova, Super Thrive, and use Cal Mag to get the PH down to 6.0. I will test the run off to see what I'm getting. I'm also planning to fertilize every other to every third watering. That's all for today. I take daily pics but I'll likely post update photo's once a week, unless something miraculous happens; like my damaged clone pulling through!

Edit: I decided to try something new. Well for me anyway. I have a window that faces east, nice early morning sun with no exterior weather nastiness.

Here's a picture of Mary & Jane (original right...?) in the sun.

I'm gonna try this method for my plants. Nebula's Manifold Tutorial - More Efficient Main-Lining! | Grow Weed Easy

IMG_750410.JPG

Put Mary & Jane back into the sun this morning. I'm not sure if I topped them or FIM'ed them. Seems more like the second. In any case I'm waiting to see the results of that process. I mixed up some super thrive and balanced the tap water to 6.2 last night and gave each plant a cup of the mixture. Even though the soil was still fairly moist, I have seen no side effects from the watering. New tops are forming quite well at the lower nodes. I tied one last night to get growing out instead of up, within 10 hours it has adjusted and started pointing up again. Leaves are Dark Green and Waxy, I'm a happy grower!

I noticed that I did not really give you guys any specs on my grow room setup.

** I have one 8 foot CFL on ropes and pulleys, I try to keep it between 2-3 inches above the tops. I also
move the ladies into the sun for a few hours in the mornings. Still inside the house though.
** I'm using Super Thrive, Flora Nova, and PH down. My tap water is pretty good so I'm lucky there.
** I have an AC Unit in the garage for moving the air around and the plants are positioned to get really good
air movement.
** I have a spray bottle with RO water and Super Thrive in it, I spray the leaves several times a day. I spoke
with my friend who gave me the clones and they are about 5 weeks old. Right now I am focused on
helping the root system develop so I'm only giving Super Thrive.
** I am going to start regular nutrient feeding at 6 weeks. I have not decided whether to feed every 3rd
time or every other.

OK, now you know what I know, ya know what I'm sayin...

FIM SITE

IMG_75076.JPG

Update for today. I did a bit of research on the Mainline/ Manifold Method. I wasn't feeling quite right about what I'd done so I topped again, but a bit more aggressively this time. I snipped at the stalk. Here's the evidence...

IMG_752210.JPG
IMG_75239.JPG

Well I made through the night and so did the girls. I checked this morning and it's like nothing even happened. I'm loving these clones. I've started some LST while I wait for the results of my first attempt at mainlining. At this point it seems a waste to cut off those low tops. 5.5 weeks old and I've done no pruning just topped the one (two) times on each clone.

I still have the damaged clone in the bio dome. I poured out the water that was in there and added the PH correct water that has a standard dose of super thrive for 2.6 qts. I swear in just a few hours I saw a difference. Although looking into a bio-dome is not easy with all the condensation. The plant is green so I'm just gonna leave it a while longer. I'm afraid to check for roots...

My wife just hired a house keeper so I won't be able to put the girls our for full sun on Thursdays. I'm really hoping the 10 - 12 hours of sunlight for 20 out of 28 days will help the ladies veg out. My plan is to get the tops up around 2 feet and then flower. 4 foot colas... yes please.

If anybody is listening what do you recommend for flowering. My girls are young so I have time, but their are so many options out there. Also what type of feeding schedule would you recommend for the veg? For the Flower?

Here's some pics of the top sights. Yes I know they don't look much different but I'm excited...~!

IMG_75274.JPG
IMG_75254.JPG

If you don't mind a little insight from a long-time cloner; your clones are much older than 5 1/2 weeks as they are part of another older plant. Your roots are only 5 1/2 weeks old but your plant's growth stage is already mature, it just needs bulk. The natural sun light is great but it's filtered through a window and not providing as much light as your plants need in the artificial environment you are growing them. I am not experienced with CFL lights but I would expect they are providing more nutrients to your plants than the window sun and I would advise you just leave them 18 to 24 hours under your grow light and you'll see much faster growth. My clones at 5 1/2 weeks are very large and ready for my flowering room. You can give them any nutrients you want right now to motivate growth, just use 1/2 of what the instructions call for as long as you have good dirt, good water, and good light, they should be growing at an average 2-4 inches in a 24-hour period!

I've decided to keep a written journal in my grow area as well. I will keep more of the mundane details, observations, training techniques etc. So far, as stated, I'm keeping it pretty simple. Where I live we have natural spring water that is fed out through the cities water system, the ph is about 7.6 from the tap. I'm going to use tap water with the Flora Nova, Super Thrive, and use Cal Mag to get the PH down to 6.0. I will test the run off to see what I'm getting. I'm also planning to fertilize every other to every third watering. That's all for today. I take daily pics but I'll likely post update photo's once a week, unless something miraculous happens; like my damaged clone pulling through!

Edit: I decided to try something new. Well for me anyway. I have a window that faces east, nice early morning sun with no exterior weather nastiness.

Here's a picture of Mary & Jane (original right...?) in the sun.

I'm gonna try this method for my plants. Nebula's Manifold Tutorial - More Efficient Main-Lining! | Grow Weed Easy

IMG_750410.JPG

Pretty little clones!

I appreciate what you're saying. My bulbs are T12 I'm not sure how those are for growing, just what I have. They are 8 footers and I can't find any T5's in that length. CFL's are producing more beneficial lighting than the sun? Filtered or not that's hard to believe, plus the sun is double the strength of the CFL's; actual fact, I checked it with my light meter.

Is there any scientific info about the sun through a window? Not trying to be a dick just wondering. Have you tried this method before?

Your point about the plant vs. roots I had not thought about, I will mix up a batch today and use it next water cycle. I've also been foliar feeding but just with Super Thrive, at this stage I want a strong root system.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience, I appreciate it!

:thanks::thumb::cheer::thanks:

It's been 11 days since I got home with the damaged clone. Whether it was dumb luck, listening to the guy at the hydro shop, or a combination of both, my clone has roots, which is far better than it was when I plucked it from it's plastic coco contained womb. I've transplanted it into a ceramic pot (3 gallon maybe). Fingers crossed for my third lady and her pulling through. We are through the darkest hour but still need healing love and smokey prayers. Here's some pics.

IMG_75328.JPG
IMG_75336.JPG
IMG_75345.JPG
IMG_75354.JPG
IMG_75376.JPG
IMG_75388.JPG
IMG_75396.JPG
IMG_754010.JPG

I found an article written by Ed Rosenthal. He sounds like he knows what he's talking about. Has anybody heard of this guy. Seems to ring a bell with me but I'm not sure why.

Window gardens | Cannabis Culture

And I found another article about Foliar Feeding, but this ones by Danny Danko, his name is familiar too. I'm currently on 24 hours and spray the plant several times a day. Pretty much whenever I see the leaves are dry. My mix is the standard early veg ratio for Super Thrive and water, balanced to 6.2 Ph.

Grow Q&A: Foliar Feeding Pot Plants – High Times

March 30th, 2017 - I've had the plants for 11 days. All seems well, I started with the nutes last night. I gave Mary & Jane 1/2 cup of 50% nutes solution PH about 6.34. Woke up this morning and they seem fine. I don't know is the nutes were able to get into the plants yet, but I'm keeping a close eye on them. LST for almost every top on M & J. Plants are looking a bit distorted, I'm literally pulling them in all directions... Here's a couple more pictures, I like pictures, I was a photographer in my former life.

Also, I ordered a new PH tester last night and the calibration solutions. The first one I got is a POS and I sent it back.

Here it is: PH Pen Tester,THZY High Accuracy Pocket Size PH Meter with ATC (Automatic Temperature Compensation) Backlit Light LCD 0-14 pH Measurement Range, 0.01 Resolution Handheld pH Pen Tester

1666580882573.png

FullSizeRender_45.jpg
IMG_75497.JPG
IMG_75459.JPG
IMG_754410.JPG

I appreciate what you're saying. My bulbs are T12 I'm not sure how those are for growing, just what I have. They are 8 footers and I can't find any T5's in that length. CFL's are producing more beneficial lighting than the sun? Filtered or not that's hard to believe, plus the sun is double the strength of the CFL's; actual fact, I checked it with my light meter.

Is there any scientific info about the sun through a window? Not trying to be a dick just wondering. Have you tried this method before?

Your point about the plant vs. roots I had not thought about, I will mix up a batch today and use it next water cycle. I've also been foliar feeding but just with Super Thrive, at this stage I want a strong root system.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience, I appreciate it!

:thanks::thumb::cheer::thanks:

I'm certainly no expert on sunlight but the following link does include more scientific information (not much). Your plants look awesome, they love natural sunlight, just from a want to get the best frost and quality marijuana to smoke perspective; keeping their environment perfect and consistent will give you the best results. I do like to give my new clones (really little ones) some natural sun light in front of the window but they can't handle the HPS until their new roots have around 7 days of growth to them, then under the HPS lights they go so they grow grow grow :bravo:.

Daylight vs. Grow Light | Home Guides | SF Gate

March 30th, 2017 - I've had the plants for 11 days. All seems well, I started with the nutes last night. I gave Mary & Jane 1/2 cup of 50% nutes solution PH about 6.34. Woke up this morning and they seem fine. I don't know is the nutes were able to get into the plants yet, but I'm keeping a close eye on them. LST for almost every top on M & J. Plants are looking a bit distorted, I'm literally pulling them in all directions... Here's a couple more pictures, I like pictures, I was a photographer in my former life.

Also, I ordered a new PH tester last night and the calibration solutions. The first one I got is a POS and I sent it back.

Here it is: PH Pen Tester,THZY High Accuracy Pocket Size PH Meter with ATC (Automatic Temperature Compensation) Backlit Light LCD 0-14 pH Measurement Range, 0.01 Resolution Handheld pH Pen Tester
1666580832006.png

FullSizeRender_45.jpg
IMG_75497.JPG
IMG_75459.JPG
IMG_754410.JPG

My only suggestion; hope you don't mind a little advice for what it's worth... Why just give them one cup of water/nutes? Usually, I just mix my nutes by the gallon (used milk jugs in my case) and then water the plant thoroughly until you get some runoff. The give a little water / nutes and then a little more water / nutes might create some issues.

I'm certainly no expert on sunlight but the following link does include more scientific information (not much). Your plants look awesome, they love natural sunlight, just from a want to get the best frost and quality marijuana to smoke perspective; keeping their environment perfect and consistent will give you the best results. I do like to give my new clones (really little ones) some natural sun light in front of the window but they can't handle the HPS until their new roots have around 7 days of growth to them, then under the HPS lights they go so they grow grow grow :bravo:.

Daylight vs. Grow Light | Home Guides | SF Gate

We are talking about two different types of window lighting. Let me show you what I'm talking about. In the article I was reading from Ask Ed, he talked about south facing windows and how much great quality sunlight they can receive during certain times of year. I live in Southern California with an East and a South facing window. The article you referred me to shows a plant receiving indirect light or ambient light reflecting in from outside. I'm not using reflected light it's direct sunlight. I also check out the UV part of the scenario and its a moot point. Plants grow outside so they are adapted to using or dealing with UV light. The absence of it is actually beneficial for the plants. Although the best wavelengths of red light at 640 & 680 nano meters will help them to photosynthesize the most efficiently and they will grow at their optimum capacity.

All that being said, I'm glad you brought it up cause I would not have done the research to share the knowledge. I was just thinking well plants grow outside, there is no better light than the sun, lets give it a shot.

:thanks: :thumb:

IMG_75555.JPG
IMG_75535.JPG
IMG_75528.JPG

My only suggestion; hope you don't mind a little advice for what it's worth... Why just give them one cup of water/nutes? Usually, I just mix my nutes by the gallon (used milk jugs in my case) and then water the plant thoroughly until you get some runoff. The give a little water / nutes and then a little more water / nutes might create some issues.

Back tracking on the responses here... I thank you for your suggestions and advice! Ok, now that I've made that clear.

The soil was still fairly moist and I didn't want to run into an over watering scenario and any slowing of progress that may add. My soil was still pretty moist not soaking wet but the dipstick test came out with some color change and so I didn't want to over do it. Plus, right after I finished mixing that solution, I dropped the PH meter, it got wet and stopped working. FPOS!!!! Fortunately I just got it and Amazon is taking it back, in the mean time I ordered one last night and it will be here tomorrow. I will calibrate and mix a: plain water solution; retest my super thrive solution, as well as my flora nova.

The soil is still plenty damp so the plants can probably go another day or two without anything but light. I don't want to do a flush just yet, I added the nutes into the soil but not very much and I want to be sure the plants get some of it, so I'll likely only do a cup of the super thrive solution for each at the next watering and then on the third do a full flush with water PH'd at 6.0-6.2.

Back
Top Bottom