The BS Journal - Bag Seed - LED - Soil - Frankenpot - 1st Run In A Long Time

BoomShakalaka

Hey everyone,
BS here, it's been a LONG time since I planted a few beans (like almost 10 years? wow) But my state is legal for rec now. (At least grow your own, the gubmint thought the taxes proposed were too low, so they put the squash to the selling of rec until they figure out how to fleece you some more)

So, I decided to get a couple of tents, some LED's, since I will be in a small space and heat management will be an issue. I dropped 12 beans into water around 3/28 and by 3/30 they were in rock wool. (also a first for me, never used rockwool before)

This first run is just to dial things in, figure out what I am doing, and see how badly I F things up.. lmao. I know the awesome peeps here will help me not totally crash and burn. :)

So, First off the tents, I got a 2x4 and 4x4, right now only the 2x4 has stuff in it. The 4x4 will get some lights soon enough.
2x4.jpg
vegcab2.jpg
vegcab1.jpg

I used an old dell computer case panel for the shelf on the left. The seedlings get a 45 watt LED, and I have a 300 and 600 LED for the rest of veg.

I was going to get 2 1000 LED's for flower, but may get another 300 and 600, and run the two 300 in veg, and the two 600 in flower.

Out of the 12 beans I dropped, 9 sprouted, 2 got confused in the rockwool and tried to grow the wrong way..

this is them on 4-1
vegcab3.jpg

and this is them this morning
apr-4-4.jpg
apr-4-2.jpg
apr-4-3.jpg
apr-4-1.jpg

This is just some bag seed from some decent mids, don't have alot of nutes yet, just GH micro-gro-bloom
Plan on dropping a couple into soil, and a couple into some frankenbuckets I am tinkering with.

I guess we will see how they go,

Re: The BS Journal, BoomShakalaka, Bag Seed, LED, soil-frankenpot, 1st run in a long

This is my franken bucket setup, got the idea from the hydro bucket setup GH has...

I am using coffee buckets since I have lots of them....
face-of-frank.jpg

In the lid I cut out some holes for the main water tube and air tubes
top-of-frank.jpg

I made a jig out of PVC to drill out the water tubes.
jig.jpg

inside the bucket will be an air stone, and this contraption to send water back up the tube
inside-of-frank.jpg

I am thinking of putting 4 seedlings into pots and put them under the 300 tonight. 2 into soil, and 2 into the buckets, see how they respond, and probably do the rest tomorrow.

Re: The BS Journal, BoomShakalaka, Bag Seed, LED, soil-frankenpot, 1st run in a long

Nice. Looking forward to see what comes of it.

OK, so I decided it was time to move a few out of the tray and into their next home.

2 went into soil, (a mix of FF, pearlite, another organic soil, cant remember, and a bit or MG) I had it in the garage, so..
2 went into franken buckets. Will see how they do overnight, and tomorrow, I will move the rest, either 50-50 again, or if the buckets dont look so good, all soil.

the air lift system is working, but having a hard time keeping the feeders down, have to tie them down or something...

but, I put enough water in the buckets that the bottom of the netpot just touches it, so the rockwool will stay wet, and there are good roots poking through already. So, I figure if I keep it aerated, it should be ok

The ones that went into soil got distilled water only. The ones that went into the buckets got 1ml/gal of the micro-bloom-grow from GH.

well, they survived the night under the new light. 2 pointed themselves at the light and lifted their little leaves, and two curled down,,

4-5-morning-b.jpg

The others that were left behind want out, so they will get moved tonight. While under the 45, light has been on 24hrs a day. The 300 is on a timer for 18/6. The new transplants will get their first lights off today, well with a 45w night light still going from above.

4-5-morning-a.jpg

wow, good thing I moved the little babes, that rockwool was bone dry.. eek.

also made a modification to the frankenbucket,, works way better, will post a few pics.

oh, and on a totally unrelated note... sent my boy to get beer. lmao. feels so wrong. granted he is almost 23, but still, he's my baby boy and can buy beer. I feel so old....

OK, frankenbucket 2.0,, basicaly I got some 3/8 OD soft flexible tube and inserted that into the hard plastic tube (it is 3/8 ID) nice tight fit, and one a couple, I used a paper clip to hold the end..
frankenbucket-2_0.jpg
frankenbucket-2_0-side-view.jpg

it lets the water flow much better.
4-5-evening-c.jpg

three of the final 5 before removing from the tray,, man were those cubes dry!!!
4-5-evening-b.jpg

I put two into buckets, and three into soil, the 4 from last night are looking good, they did stretch a bit during their first nap. but otherwise look perky.

group pic..
4-5-evening-a.jpg

I ordered a viparspectra 300w led, and will run that and the hydrogalaxy 300 in there now for veg, I got two different makers because I wanted to see the difference in quality and if they made a difference on the plants...

I got a king led 600w, and will get a matching 600w for flower tent (a 4x4) before these girls move to flower.

"oh, and on a totally unrelated note... sent my boy to get beer. lmao. feels so wrong. granted he is almost 23, but still, he's my baby boy and can buy beer. I feel so old...."
Here's what I learned from raising five. It's payback time for running them around all those years. Work him while you can.:thumb:
.:peacetwo:

Good morning. Took a few pics, and moved the light up as much as I can. i might pull that shelf,, will wait and see. Right now its at 21", it was 19 and I think that was a bit close for the babies. Especially the ones that went into soil, they just seem stressed.

But that could have been my eyes and the red light, (not to self, dont stare at the babies too long,, man everything turns green when you look away) hahahaha I took pics under a puck light to get better pics, some were to blurry to post. sometimes it's hard to hold the camera still and push the button..lol

Group shot
4-7-AM-f.jpg

Three of the 5 in soil. The other two were too blurry
4-7-AM-a.jpg

4-7-AM-c.jpg

4-7-AM-d.jpg

The bucket babies
4-7-AM-i.jpg

4-7-AM-g.jpg

4-7-AM-b.jpg

The one with the specks on the leaves
4-7-AM-e.jpg

The ones in the buckets seem to be doing better, one has some specks on the leaves, will have to watch it, and I probably should label them,, names or numbers,,

you know, I never actually looked at that until now,, just saw most people referncing 24", so I went with it.

good call SL! it's 48" for germ/seedlings. yeah, I think I am killing them, got to run for work, but will nix the shelf as soon as i get home, and raise the light more. thankfully they go into their night real soon,

Hey SL, thanks again, good call.
I was sooo stressed out at work today, lmao. Got home ASAP, and even that small moving up this morning helped I think. A few were pointing their leaves toward the light, not away, and I could see new growth.

I got the new Viparspectra 300 in, yanked out the shelf, pulled the 600 (never powered it up, just had it in place) and will move that to the 4x4 tent.

I light the color of the Vipar better than the bestva, much more blue, so I am using that, and have the light a good 40" away now.

I also changed the water in the buckets and bumped up the nutes from 1ml/gal to 2m/gal. Directions say 1tsp, I am using half that, so I figure it should be good. also added 1ml/gal of calmag and ph'd to 5.7

The old water in the buckets (after 2 days) was at 7.2 so climbed quite a bit in two days.

4-7-PM-c.jpg

4-7-PM-bjpg.jpg

4-7-PM-a.jpg

So F***ing HAPPY right now!!!!!! :yahoo:

local hydro shop had a customer appreciation event, lots of reps from different companies. I got a TON of stuff for,,, FREEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

2 smart pots (1 gal)
1 frisbee (from smart pot)
1 smart pot clone from bloom boss (1 gal)
1 set of ratchet pulleys from bloom boss
1 cool ass T shirt
tons of literature and stickers
and..
score5.jpg

from elite..
score1.jpg

from GH
score4.jpg
score3.jpg
score2.jpg

Happy Dance!!!!!!!!!