Skoondawg's Coco Grow - GSC and Lemon Haze - SCROG - 400w HPS - 2nd Grow

skoondawg

Hello again fellow stoners and everyone on this glorious forum!

Im back for my second grow:thumb:.

Last grow ended well but im ready to kick off the next grow with (finally) some good genetics, a stronger flowering light, and decided to try coco for its increased yields and quicker growth. Naturally i feel i'm a soil grower but im interested to try coco before choosing a preferred medium between the two.

I was keen to my second grow to consist of a DIY COB set up, however my plans for that have been put on hold as im considering moving to Europe for employment after graduating. Therefore im sticking to HPS but going to upgrade from my 250w to a 400w and scrap the 200w worth of CFL i had in the 1st grow scattered around the 250w bulb. I felt it didnt really add much to the yield but did add a whole lot of extra heat watts. Therefore i feel the 400w will increase overall coverage and hopefully yields too! :cheer:

So lets get into all the info:

What strain is it?
1 X Royal Seeds Feminised Lemon Haze
1 X Feminised Seeds Girl Scout Cookie

Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages?
LEMON HAZE:
Lemon Haze Feminized is as dank as they come with a quality level that can't be denied! She only needs 8 to 9 weeks of finish to deliver up to 475 gr/m2 of extra-large, lemon-scented buds coated in gleaming trichomes, vibrant red pistils and dots of glistening gold. This weed seed is a real beauty!

• Lemon Haze Reaches 21% THC!
  • Clear Citrus Flavour & Aroma
  • 8 to 9 Week Finishes with 475 gr/m2 Yields
  • Large, Elongated Buds - Green & Gold Hues

Girl Scout Cookie:
FAT, DENSE, AROMATIC BUDS - LIKE RESIN-ENCRUSTED ROCKS!
Girl Scout Cookies Feminized Seeds need no introduction - she's been a fan favourite and a highly guarded secret for years. Until now, you had to have a hookup if you wanted to get your greedy mitts on a cut, but the Feminised Seeds Company just changed all that by reversing a genuine GSC clone so that anyone and everyone who wants this premium gear can get their own feminized seeds. You have to love that!

• Girl Scout Cookies THC = Very High!
  • Euphoric to Start Followed by Deep Physical Relaxation
  • Recommended for Pain and Nausea
  • 65-75 Day Finish - Sativa-Dominant

With a yield that kicks ass, this Sativa-dominant blend of OG Kush & Durban Poison is a tall strain that requires 65 to 75 days of flowering to deliver either thin mint or cherry pie scented buds. After the cure, Girl Scout Cookies' only get better with age as the swollen calyxes go from firm to rocky and still glisten with a thick layer of visible crystals. Break one open and you'll get an instant burst of the truly intoxicating aromas that made GSC a household name!

Is it in Veg or Flower stage?
Just sprouted - not quite yet veg

If in Veg... For how long?
Day 1 today

Indoor or outdoor?
Indoor

Soil or Hydro?
Hydro - 90% Coco, 10% Perlite

Training?
Plan to do similar as the last grow. Going to scrog the ladies out, get lots of tops and a nice even canopy of about 30-40cm. Also considering potentially supercropping into the scrog to get extra power flowing through the stems :p

Size of light?
  • Seedling: 85w 6500K CFL
  • Veg light: 250w Metal Halide
  • Flowering light: 400w HPS

Is it aircooled?
No, bare bulb

Temp of Room/cab?
Currently with only the 85w CFL running temperatures are about 23 deg C lights on, 22 lights off.

RH of Room/cab?
Hovering around 60%. I do have plastic baggies over the ladies at the moment just to keep humidity a bit higher.

PH of media or res?
Ph 5.8

Any Pests ?
No

How often are you watering?
Once roots are established will water up to 3 times daily.

Type and strength of ferts used? Will mention actual amounts and ratios as i go along!:Namaste:
Easy Hydro Grow Nutrient line: Grow, Bloom and Micro - will start off about 1/4 nutrients to what the schedule recommends.
Calmag nitrate for the extra Calmag
Kelpak Seaweed extract
Silica
Here is the nutes schedule of the trio of nutes along with other info provided by the manufacturer:
EHG-Nutrient-Guide.jpg

Now for some pictures! I know everybody loves pictures :cheer::cheer::cheer:

Here are the seeds:
IMAG35733.jpg

IMAG35722.jpg

I germinated using the paper towel method, has been my method of choice since i started growing. I watched LEDRF's (Neil from Perfect Sun) paper towel video just to touch up on it to not fuck up my awesome genetics that managed to make it across the border (no more bag seed :D) big ups to Pat999 for that! :circle-of-love:

Paper towel for 24 hours and the seeds were cracked, left them another 24 hours to let some of the taproot grow to about 1.5-2cm as seen in the picture. Both seeds had a taproot of similar length. Then planted into rinsed coco and covered with plastic wrap. The next morning they were ever so slightly peaking through the coco, but 5 hours later they were happily sticking their heads out. Awesome to see the progress. Here are some shots of that:
IMAG35802.jpg
IMAG35812.jpg
IMAG35841.jpg
IMAG35861.jpg
IMAG35871.jpg
IMAG3588.jpg

Talking about progress, setting up a camera which will take pictures every hour so i can make a nice little timelapse at the end which should look pretty.

Thought i would also give everyone a look at my DIY grow box for anyone curious

This is the current 85w CFL, this is the same place the 250 and 400w bulbs sit, under a fan that pulls heat from the lamp:
IMAG3589.jpg

This is the other side of the reflector
IMAG35901.jpg

My extractor fans, small but strong industrial cooling fans from a lazer cutting machine
IMAG35911.jpg

This is the top of my box. Sitting on top is the ballast and behind that is my DIY carbon filter which currently is not attached. Basically connect ducting from the silver vents to the sides of the filter. Its so big as to create greater surface area for the air to escape through therefore allowing for slightly less powerful exhaust fans and without added resistance to the airflow (no increase in temps).
IMAG3593.jpg

Aaaand here are the ladies on (officially to kick it off) DAY 1:
IMAG3599.jpg
IMAG36001.jpg

Thats all the pictures, updates and news i have for you. Welcome to everyone in advance, i hope you enjoy my journal and i hope we can engage on some cool topics together. This is my first ever coco grow so any tips, advice, criticism is welcomed and appreciated even if its not something i wanna hear.

Till next time everybody, super excited to be growing with proper genetics this time round!!

Keep it irie:Namaste:

I can see why you were lazy to start goeie nai that is alot of info :rofl: first one to be stalking yer new journal! LoL blessings bru

It is a mission hey. Either you do it on the PC but then uploading photos takes a while. Or you do it on your phone, but who the fuck wants to type out so much! So yeah, sat down, got stoned and just started typing. Glad i did, looks like a good start. Hopefully we can get this grow going smoothly from start to end (touch wood) however im ready for lots of troubleshooting!

Thanks for organising the genetics homie :circle-of-love:

Subbed in for the show!
Welcome CK! Nice to have you along :D been lurking through your brix journal at the back of the class . glad to see it going well, hopefully mine will go smoothly too :D
Subbed up bro. Also just popped some lemon haze. Keen!
Thanks for stopping by brother :) do you have a journal going? Would be cool to watch them grow side by side. You growing in coco too?

Day 2 today. Nice to see them growing. Feels awesome to be growing again!

This is them prior to a little watering
420-magazine-mobile1945606275.jpg

420-magazine-mobile654142283.jpg

I mixed up some tap water with seaweed extract to help stimulate root development. Was about 5L of water with 6ml per L, recommended dose is 25ml per L. Had to add some ph down too. Ph of water coming out the tap is around 9, after adding the seaweed I was sitting at about 6.5 so 4 drops of ph down got it to 5.7 which I was happy with.

In this first week I'll only use water and the seaweed, from week 2 I will begin the trio of nutrients I bought. The ppm of my nutrient solution was 189ppm and ph 5.7.
420-magazine-mobile766981467.jpg

Can I expect my ph of the 5L mix to drop or rise? I've left it standing in room temp with the lid off.

I'm hoping there's enough in the tap water to keep the plant happy for 5-6 more days. What are your guys thoughts on that? First time coco so just going on what ive read here and there. I think the ppm is good for first week of growth.

Here are the girls in all their glory after water and covering them with the bag. I'm keeping plastic baggies over to keep RH up. Box is usually around +- 60% RH but this morning it dropped to 40 so kept the bags on.
420-magazine-mobile1865561639.jpg

Got the 85w cfl (power of about 4x 20w cfls) about 10cm above the seedlings. Is this too close or too far or just right?

That's it for today:)

Peace and love to everyone. . .

Great looking babies! I have some seedlings that aren't too far in front of yours! Looking great man!
Thank you :D looking forward to it. What strains are those seedlings of yours?

Thank you :D looking forward to it. What strains are those seedlings of yours?

Pakistan Valley and 2 CBD Indica Mix. My CBD strain I wanted kept herming and wasn't stable so I need a new CBD strain to replace her!

Pakistan Valley and 2 CBD Indica Mix. My CBD strain I wanted kept herming and wasn't stable so I need a new CBD strain to replace her!
How do you feel after smoking a CBD strain? I'm yet to experience it. Pat is going to grow a CBD strain soon so I'll try then:D

How do you feel after smoking a CBD strain? I'm yet to experience it. Pat is going to grow a CBD strain soon so I'll try then:D

I love them! Great for pain and things like that. Its not a stoney high but very clear and functional. I think I will make a lot of my CBD bud into capsule form though from now on and start just taking a daily dose.

I wanna try some CBD strains as well, but i was also thinking about combining regular concentrates with hemp cbd concentrates as legal hemp has almost 2 percent CBD over here and a pound of buds cost only 120bucks.

Hey Skoondawg i am in. Waiting for my girl drying. Meow. Have slow connection and cant load pics atm but i will go back and check on your babies soon

I wanna try some CBD strains as well, but i was also thinking about combining regular concentrates with hemp cbd concentrates as legal hemp has almost 2 percent CBD over here and a pound of buds cost only 120bucks.

Hey Skoondawg i am in. Waiting for my girl drying. Meow. Have slow connection and cant load pics atm but i will go back and check on your babies soon
Nice to have you along again Seymore :) hoping for a fruitful journey .

Hey guys :)

Day 3 now. Not much change in the seedlings, a little taller though.

Wanted to get opinions if possible. My humidity is around 41%, added some bowls of water with a small towel and got it up to 45%. Is this fine for seedlings? Should I take the ziplock baggie off of them already and let them grow in 45%? Temps are around 22 deg C. I know 60% is better but I imagine 45 is fine, I would like it to be perfect but I don't have a humidifier yet.

420-magazine-mobile1601785700.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1169460253.jpg

GSC on the right. Lemon Haze on the left
420-magazine-mobile90359034.jpg

How should I be watering at this stage in coco? I'm keeping the medium moist. Not watering every day as I want the roots to develop a bit before upping the frequency of feedings. Is this fine?

Bru you then have to water daily, LoL for sure homie we gonna try that Euphoria CBD out pretty sure it us going to get us feeling soothed out. Only waiting to grow that under the 600w. For now we gotta enjoy these buds and the Gorilla I am gonna start.
Yeah keen for that gorilla grow to start brother

Day 4

420-magazine-mobile864901435.jpg

Took the ziplock bags off, trying to get the humidity up a bit but it's still around 40-45. Going to hang wet towels tomorrow.

Also thinking of maybe adding a few small 20w cfl bulbs to increase temperature and thus also increasing humidity? Or am I wrong on that?

Also set up a camera to take a picture every hour so can put together a time-lapse. Will post the first bit of it when it's actually worth showing. So maybe a time-lapse from seed to just before putting the scrog over them :)

Back
Top Bottom