Hologram Hydro - 315W LEC - Blueberry Kush

hologram

Hey this is a first time grow for me and needed somewhere to vent so decided to make a journal. I'm growing Blueberry Kush out of bagseed, and i dont trust it so i'll see what it is in flower. I'm currently into week 4 of flower so this is a journal that will hopefully be completed. I'm a natural winger of things and have proof that you can turn the weakest plants into monsters aha.
At the beginning I had no idea how to grow but have learnt along the way. Now i have somewhat of an idea how to grow. The lights i'm running are 315w LEC sun system, but effectively 315w CMH.

I'm am in the process of dumping all my pics, these are what i will do for now, ~bear with me =)

I'm growing 2 indica's and 1 sativa.
They are all in week 4 flower (28 days)
Started these outdoor until i could buy a light. 3 months outdoor and 1 month indoor then i flowered my 3 best. Started out with 9 seedlings, all turned out to be female. I have 6 remaining. I had to kill all the healthy plants as means of space, so it was a gladiator matchup for killing plants.
Growing in 100% Coco Coir because i'm a lazy water'er and cant afford pumps. The nutes are Grow Research Parts A and B for vegetative growth and Parts A and B for flower.
315W LEC Sun system, cooltube/hood
Growbox
It's starting winter now so temps during the day are cool'ish

Lights ON~29 degrees, 59% RH
Lights OFF~22 degrees, 68% RH

So i'm going to update this fairly regularly.

The things i've got wrong during this grow has been a good learning curve. You can only read so much and there is a major difference between reading and doing.

I trained the plants for a scrog grow, but that turned out to be a skeleton support, so i guess that this is a skeleton grow haha is that even a name? Went away for 3 days and that was all it took to outgrow the scrog.

The plants are growing into the light so i'm working out alternatives to keep them from burning (open to any ideas?)

The things i got right: grow medium, light, grow conditions, feed schedule.
i'm expecting a lowish yield i suppose from the plants growing into the light.

The funny thing is though is that its not burning them at all. The cooltube is cool to touch.

20170330_220224.jpg
20170330_220246.jpg

Before lollipop
20170401_121926.jpg

After lollipop
20170401_132121.jpg
20170401_210712.jpg
20170401_212217.jpg

20170429_220256.jpg
20170429_220304.jpg
20170429_220315.jpg
20170429_220323.jpg

So all these pics are 39 days flower, had to bend most of my colas over to keep the plant from growing into the light. I used 6 bamboo sticks to use as anchors for my stem bending, and bent everything i could at week 4 at the end of stretch. As of this post it is week 6 day 42. i have a feeling this is a 13 week strain. Its mostly sativa dominant leading me to believe its blueberry haze, its very fruity(mango smell) and the sugar leaves have slight purple overtones.

~Week 12 Day 84
20170612_220509.jpg
20170612_220540.jpg
20170612_220609.jpg

It has been a while. I have been busy, but here is an update. I guessed at the beginning of the grow that these would be 10 weekers, I was wrong. These at the moment are at week 12 and dont look like stopping. I have 3 phenotypes flowering at different times. One pheno has fat buds and looks like its 3 weeks ahead of the other 2, so i'll most likely harvest it first. Now that i have a better idea of what i'm growing, i'd say these are a 20 week strain from the first day of 12/12. Another 6-8 weeks left

3 different phenos (brown colas, skinny colas, fat/white pistils colas)
20170612_221321.jpg

20170612_220558.jpg

Update ~Week 13, Day 94~

The first pheno that has all its pistils amber, is throwing nanners late into the flowering phase. So i'm going to begin flushing it for a week. I checked and at least 10% trichs are amber on it anyway so harvesting now isn't too bad. The nanners were a result of a sudden change in light period. I dropped from 12/12 to 11/13 and while my 2 other phenos seemed to not mind the change, the 1 pheno stressed into finishing.

For the sake of not getting confused, i'll name the 3 phenos Brown cola, Grinch fingers and White cola.
I'm going to harvest Brown cola in about 2 weeks. Hopefully this will provide more light for Grinch fingers and White cola to finish off.

Update ~Week 19, Day 135

Harvested plants 2 & 3, Brown Cola and White Cola. Now both these plants got harvested at day 130, that being said, they were no where near finished. I think i could have gone to 24-28 weeks to finish proper. I was under growing constraints so had to cut early.

I got 9.2 ounces from the first plant dried.

I'm guessing i will get 7-9 ounces from Brown Cola dried (plant 2), and 4-5 ounces from White Cola (plant 3), because of heat stressing and pheno type.

All in all, the first plant smells like mango and smokes like mango. Takes about 2-4 cones to feel baked,so thc content is maybe 14% from a guess, but the high is very pleasant. Being maybe 70-80% sativa dominant, the high is incredibly pleasant and energetic. Feel it in your face and not your body.

I will dry for a week, and then jar.
20170801_210254.jpg

New Beginnings

Okay so, Clean Up was a 2 day event, and was very thorough. The reason i haven't been as active is because all the fun got taken out of growing for me. The reasons were

1) i grew in a cramped space, should have grown 2 plants but even then that's pushing my growing parameter. My box is meant for 1 big plant, but i'm greedy so i'm pushing for 2 medium sized plants.
2) My light burnt the shit out of 6 potentially good colas. Also as a crazy side effect of heat stress, you can see in my photos the plants are responding by throwing out crazy amounts of long single bladed sugar leaves, instead of focusing on bud sites. Also crazily stretching into the light, ironically trying to escape and grow above the heat, instead growing into the heat which is my light etc..
3)Aphids. Faarkin aphids. Whitefly/Blackfly, whatever you want to call them. I had a small, but modest infestation at the beginning (weeks 4-6) , and it took me a long time to even figure out what the frick they were. At first i thought they were spidermites so i sprayed tomato insecticide for spidermites. The spray kinda works a little bit on aphids, on the fully mature adults but not the eggs under the leaves. So the cycle magnifies brutally. At first the infestation was modest. Then by weeks 12-15 i estimate at least 3k faarkin carcasses. Mostly on the leaves, some on the buds. I shook and cut as much of them away as i could. They were all in the buds if you looked close enough. I still smoked them though, they just made a cracking noise haha. Just try and not to think about it too much.

New Beginnings

20170618_213445.jpg
20170618_213649.jpg
20170618_213500.jpg
20170803_192902.jpg

I took clones at week 3 of flower from plant 1, which had the pheno to finish at week 20 instead of week 30 for plants 2 & 3. The cycle begins again. Hopefully i do a better job at scrogging, wish me luck :Namaste:

20170805_220703.jpg
20170805_220733.jpg

Transplanted from a 3 Gal to a 7 Gal 2 days ago. The plants responded well immediately. The main taproots were starting to grow up the sides of the pot, so the change to 7 Gal pot and bigger growbox space was well received by the plants. This time around i'm growing 100% coco.

One of my Rooting problems from the last grow was, i started seedlings in dirt, and then transplanted into Coco. The dirt rootball didn't mix well with the coco and seemed to retain moisture and nutes at the rootball base, this caused slight rot and rootbinding as the roots couldnt grow as freely in the dirt.

As a mental note to myself :Do not mix mediums. IF you do, wash all the dirt off before transplanting into Coco.

~Day 6~ First Week

Before Lollipop
20170809_204837.jpg

After Lollipop
20170810_183326.jpg

Plant 1 (left)
20170810_183526.jpg

Plant 2 (right)
20170810_183552.jpg

~Day 6~ First Week
These clones are going strong. I cloned these from the same mother so the phenotype is the exact copy. These 2 plants are identical, but why do they have different plant structures? The reason is because i topped Plant 1 prematurely. Plant 2 i let grow out longer before i topped, allowing more side branching to grow. Had i let Plant 1 grow for 2 more weeks it may have grown more like Plant 2.

These clones are monstercropped so share the same growth hormone found in preflower that focuses on stem and branch building. Plant 1 has a tendency to grow 1 thick main stem regardless of my stem bending attempts to break the apical dominance whereas Plant 2 has the apical dominance broken. The reason this is important is because a even percentage of growing energy means same sized branches so same sized buds come harvest.

Lollipop should be carried out before week 5 of flower. That being said it's all upto the grower and the health of the plant. I have read grows where the grower has lollipopped throughout the entire course of the plants life. IMO i choose first or second week of flower, once i know what stems are going to reach the top of the scrog canopy.

Defoliation can be done pre stretch or post stretch. All depends on how tall your plants are growing and how fast. In my case last grow, i should have defoliated week 1 of ALL major fan leaves but i didn't, which resulted in plants that grew too tall and burnt. I should've also used LST during stretch. This second grow i will defol as needed.

Looks like a good grow. I would love to do a sativa but worry about the height. I'm in a 5' tall box right now. How high did you end up at?

Sorry to hear about the infestation, that's scary for a grower, not sure i could have smoked the buds after that, crackling would have been a killer for my high.

Back
Top Bottom