Juanbahama's Hydro Candyland & Skywalker Kush First Time Grow - 2017

juanbahama

Hello!

Welcome to my first grow journal!

Strain - I went with Granddaddy Purple Seeds regular Candyland & Reserva Privada Skywalker Kush since both have similar flowering times of 8-9 weeks. Germinated four Candyland seeds on 4/13 five days ago in rapid rooters. One of them is pretty runty so I started two more two days ago. Also started one feminized Skywalker Kush seed two days ago and it has already sprouted. Started the first four candyland seeds under a separate humidity dome and t5, but transplanted them as soon as they sprouted. The rest of them went straight into the system from seed.

Environment - 4 x 4 x 7 tent / Mars Hydro Pro II Epistar 320 LED / top fed deep water culture (following the roseman / growweedeasy guide) / 6" exhaust fan with carbon filter / 6" intake fan with carbon filter / 2 oscillating fans, all humming along at about 78 degrees with 60% RH. GH nutes.

20170418_225622.jpg

20170418_225643.jpg

20170418_225703.jpg

20170418_225712.jpg

re: Juanbahama's Hydro Candyland & Skywalker Kush First Time Grow - 2017

Since I dont have a veg tent and I only have limited space to grow, I was sort of concerned about having to sex the regular candyland seedlings 3-6 weeks into the future. By that time, the roots will have gotten bigger and potentially tangled with each other, and I dont like the idea of having to tear the males out, possibly leaving dead roots to deal with in the reservoir. The Skywalker Kush is feminized so no worries there. If only there were a way to sex them really early. Turns out there is! I ordered this from Phylos Bioscience in Portland. It's a sex test for four plants. It was around 60 bucks so not really cheap, but not having to grow out potential males is worth it. You just snip the round first leaves, send them in, and two days later they post the results online. Ill be doing this in a few days to a week.

IMG_20170417_190701.jpg

Did the first reservoir water change tonight. Seedlings have been in there for a week with plain RO water, added nutes for the first time tonight at about 1/4 strength, plus cal mag and hydroguard. Moved the lights a bit closer - about 30"

Since I dont have a veg tent and I only have limited space to grow, I was sort of concerned about having to sex the regular candyland seedlings 3-6 weeks into the future. By that time, the roots will have gotten bigger and potentially tangled with each other, and I dont like the idea of having to tear the males out, possibly leaving dead roots to deal with in the reservoir. The Skywalker Kush is feminized so no worries there. If only there were a way to sex them really early. Turns out there is! I ordered this from Phylos Bioscience in Portland. It's a sex test for four plants. It was around 60 bucks so not really cheap, but not having to grow out potential males is worth it. You just snip the round first leaves, send them in, and two days later they post the results online. Ill be doing this in a few days to a week.

IMG_20170417_190701.jpg

Wow this is a cool share, thanks for that. I'll have to look into it just for the knowledge.

Everything is looking good - but the rapid rooters are still having some white stuff issues. Plus a spot of green showed up on one of them. A bit of research and it looks like its probably a not so harmful form of mold and algae due to too much water in the medium. I think this is probably the one drawback of top feeding. Now that the plants have some roots reaching the water, Ill probably remove the top feeding tubes tonight and top off with some water and hydroguard.

To prevent this in future grows I'll soak the seeds and rooters in .3% h2o2 first, place the top feed tubes lower so they arent soaking the tops, and cover them with a paper plate or something to block off light. Hydroguard will go in the reservoir from the beginning instead of waiting to put it in with the first nutes.

Re: Juanbahama's Hydro Candyland & Skywalker Kush First Time Grow - 2017

Day 14 - changed water, noticed a couple plants leaning so I made some stakes with twist ties.

Roots are reaching the water now so I removed the top feed. Hopefully this will resolve the algae issue from the rapid rooters being constantly saturated.

420-magazine-mobile576132495.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1173477078.jpg

Mind if I sit in on your journal? I also grow with hydro and use GH nutes. Looks like your off to a good start. How many plants are you growing in total and will you finish them in these tubs or transplant to separate buckets later?

Mind if I sit in on your journal? I also grow with hydro and use GH nutes. Looks like your off to a good start. How many plants are you growing in total and will you finish them in these tubs or transplant to separate buckets later?

Yeah man welcome!

Right now Ive got 6 regular candyland seedlings and one feminized skywalker kush. Yeah, planning on finishing in the tubs. Depending on the sex of the candyland plants, ideally id like to keep two in the tent with the skywalker kush. If i have a third female, ill probably put it out on the balcony for cuttings and ambiance.

Day 18 - finally opened the plant sex test kit today... Instructions were to place the numbered stakes, pluck a cotyledon leaf from each plant, place it in the corresponding square in the kit and smash it into the paper. Looking forward to the results!

420-magazine-mobile1865420185.jpg

420-magazine-mobile2029710536.jpg

420-magazine-mobile443971457.jpg

Sunday morning - love this liquid transfer pump for water changes

420-magazine-mobile1453649715.jpg

I think I waited a bit too long to do the sex test, theyve been growing much faster than I had anticipated. My worry is that the roots will tangle before I remove males and extra females. To buy some time I transplanted one of them into a smart pot with some ocean forest and redistributed the net pots to give them a bit more elbow room. Tracking says the test will be delivered today, so I should expect a result by Tuesday.

Back
Top Bottom