250W HPS Refrigerator Grow!

Islandish

Hi! First time grower here.

Setup;
Placement: Old refrigerator (140cmx45cmx45cm on the inside)
Light: 250w HPS
Ventilation: 4inch Inline with Carbon filter.
Medium: Soil in 15Liter/3 gal smart pots
Nutrion: Gold Label
Seed: Fast Eddy Auto (Sa 50% In 40% Ru 10%)
I will be growing only one plant at a time because of the small space.
Here is a pic of how it looks.
420-magazine-mobile288015720.jpg

Air intake at bottom.
Best placement for temp sensors?
Also placement of the temp sensor from the fan?
420-magazine-mobile583515323.jpg

I did a test run first time today and it gets very hot inside. 30 degrees Celsius with fan on max. (And it's not even summer yet!!)
Ambient temp is around 22C and Humidity is far too low between 20/30%.

So I'm thinking if I need to go get a LED lamp or 300w CFL?

Any help is much appreciated!

yeh i think hps too hot for space 300w dual spectrum cfl or led your call. nice you testing environment rather than jumping in with two feet.regards
Okay thank you for info.
I think I was a bit tired before coffee this morning when i tried the temps. Had both sensors placed at the top of the room. Because it's such a small space all the heat from the reflector transports right up.

Now I placed one sensor under some cover where fresh air enters. Is this the "right" way to get actual air temp around the soon to be plant?
420-magazine-mobile95514115.jpg

Thanks!

You'll want to have the temp sensor placed somewhere near the top of the plant. The temperature at the plant is what is important. Hope this helps.

You'll want to have the temp sensor placed somewhere near the top of the plant. The temperature at the plant is what is important. Hope this helps.
Okay nice, so it's the correct temp even if I let the sensor get heated from the radiation from the lamp, not covered under a book?
Thank you

420-magazine-mobile1584154193.jpg

Got some seeds today! Do you guys think I can manage 2 plants in that small space or should I go with just one? :)

Put the seed in the soil yesterday after a overnight bath in a small cup!
I have a question, my ballast is getting very hot after a while, can only touch it for a few seconds. I have it well ventilated by the window. Are they supposed to get that hot?
Its a magnetic

Magnetic ballasts do run very hot. Not surprising you can only touch it for a few seconds. They are obviously less efficient than the digital ballasts but should get the job done for you. I'd recommend going to digital ballasts when you replace.

Magnetic ballasts do run very hot. Not surprising you can only touch it for a few seconds. They are obviously less efficient than the digital ballasts but should get the job done for you. I'd recommend going to digital ballasts when you replace.
Okay that is good to hear, thought it was something wrong with it, thanks!
Will update if and when the seedling pop up!

420-magazine-mobile169645882.jpg

Look who decided to pop up!
How long do you guys keep the plastic wrapper over the pot?
Right now I'm just spraying the surface soil with a fine mist to keep it moist.
Cheers!

420-magazine-mobile1302329974.jpg

Day 4 on this little one! Just giving here a small dose of Root booster atm.
Do you think it's okay size for the youngling?
Temps are at 22 degrees celsius and rh is kinda low at 30% but I have trouble getting that number up. Should I at least raise the temps a bit?
Feeling like a real askhole here haha!

Temps are OK, couple of degrees more wouldn't hurt, humidity is low but thats common. I couldn't get my humidity over 15% on my last grow over the winter and still yielded well. Plant looks healthy, carry on...lol.

Temps are OK, couple of degrees more wouldn't hurt, humidity is low but thats common. I couldn't get my humidity over 15% on my last grow over the winter and still yielded well. Plant looks healthy, carry on...lol.
Okay I will raise the temps a bit when I get home from work then.
Nice to hear! Did you make a journal on your latest grow so I can go and check how you did? =)

Did you make a journal on your latest grow so I can go and check how you did? =)

Yes, the one I recently completed and my current grow are both in the links at the bottom of my signature. Feel free to pop in anytime.

420-magazine-mobile393750315.jpg

I think I got a small light burn now after I lowered the light a bit. So I put it back up again. Do you guys think it will recover?

Back
Top Bottom