1st Time Growing - Autoflower Strain - Tutankhamon In Soil - 240W LED

IndyRacerNick

This is my first grow. I hope this turns out, I totally think I am prepared and welcome you all on my journey towards rewards or experience!

I am growing 2 autoflower strains which makes for a quick grow when compared to photo's.

20170419_142843.jpg

SEED INFORMATION

Seed: Cheese Autoflower Fem (Canuck Seeds)Seed: Tutankhamon Autoflower Fem (Pyramid Seeds)
Seed Bank: True North Seed BankSeed Bank: True North Seed Bank
Variety: Indica/SativaVariety: Mostly Indica
Flowering Type: AutoflowerFlowering Type: Autoflower
Flowering Time: 8 Weeks (estimated)Flowering Time: 65 Days (estimated)
Yield: 650 g/600 WTT HPSYield: 550 g/m2
THC: 22%+THC: 25%+

Grow Room Setup
Grow Tent2.5’ X 2.5’ X 5.5’
3 X Bottom Air vents
1 X Top Exhaust/Inline Vent
1 X Hole for feeding cables (Closed off currently)
2 X Air Vents for Exhaust on sides (Designed for lamps)
1 X Door Window
Exhaust1 X 4” iPower inline exhaust
@175 CFM
Carbon FilteriPower Carbon Filter Odor Control
Australian RC 412 Activated Carbon
1050+ IAV Australia Charcoal
Pre Filter Attached
Dimensions: 20.3 x 20.3 x 33 cm
Weight: 2.7 Kg
Fan Speed AdjusterActive Air Fan Speed Adjuster for ducting exhaust speed
LightMars Hydro 240WTT LED light 430nm - 730nm range + 1 Infrared light
Pots Used2 X 5 US GAL bucket
Potting SoilFox Farms Ocean Forest Potting Soil
NutentsAdvanced Nutrients pH perfect (Micro, Grow, Bloom) @ 1L per bottle
Water4L Jugs of Distilled Ozonated Water (pH @ 7.5 before adjusting)
pH testerEtekcity pH Tester
pH AdjusterDistilled room temperature White Vinegar
RH/HumidityAcuRite Indoor humidity & temperature monitor
Internal Ventilation2 X 6” Clip on fans
Light AdjusterRope Ratchet for adjusting the height of LED lights

20170414_230743.jpg
20170416_194811.jpg
20170411_202032.jpg

Germination Method
Germination Start DateApril 20, 2017
Germination Start Time3:00 PM
Germination MethodPaper Towel between 2 plates
Germination Method # 2Placed seeds in glass of water

20170419_150422.jpg
20170419_150445.jpg
20170419_150502.jpg

When I started germination, I used the paper towel method. I got a paper towel and made it wet, removed excess water, and ended with a nice and damp cloth. I placed the seed in the middle of the damp cloth and folded it over the top.This was not working or it was working very slow. I had moved the seeds to a glass of water where they sank, and a tap root was exposed, where the seeds were then transferred to moist paper towel again for the final stages of germination

April 20, 2017 - Germination Update

Germination Environment @ 3:00 PM April 19, 2017:
  • Grow tent (2.3’ X 2.3’ X 5.3’)
  • Exhaust Fan = ON
  • Lights = OFF
  • ALL Air Vents = OPEN
  • TEMP: 20°C
  • Humidity: 23%
  • Paper Towel = Moist
  • SEED STATUS = NO ROOT
Decided that I could possibly get away with adding a 2nd pot into the grow space and decided to start the germination process for the strain Cheese Autoflower Fem. Seeing I was only a little over 24 hours for the first seed, I had lots of time to get them on the same schedule. Some take a day, some take a week or more..hopefully these two are in the same time-frame.

I never liked the temp going below 20 for the germination environment. It recorded the low on my monitor as 19 C with 23% Humidity. I have adjusted the germination environment 6 hours ago (4:00PM) and with the changes both conditions increased by 5.

April 20, 2017 - Germination Update
Current Germination Environment @ 10:12PM April 20, 2017
  • Exhaust Fan = OFF
  • Lights = ON
  • ALL Air Vents = CLOSED
  • Temperature: 25°C
  • Humidity: 28%
  • Paper Towel: Moist
  • SEED STATUS = NO ROOT
April 21, 2017 - Germination Update
Current Germination Environment @ 1:30PM April 21, 2017
  • Exhaust Fan = OFF
  • Lights = ON
  • ALL Air Vents = CLOSED
  • Temperature: 22°C
  • Humidity: 30%
  • SEED STATUS = NO ROOT
After checking on the seeds this afternoon there has been no signs of a cracked seed or anything obvious in terms of germination. I have changed the method from the paper towel to cup of water.

Added Ozonated Distilled room temperature water to 2 glasses. I placed each seed in its own glass. As soon as I placed the seeds into the glass the sank to the bottom upon entry. This is a great sign which means things are happening, just slower than I have expected, but its life and I am not GOD so I can’t control the timeline, just hoping to speed it up.

Glasses are placed inside the grow room and lights are ON hoping to generate some more heat inside there. Was not told to turn lights off so I will try this way and hope I get some signs of a cracked seed or roots later this evening

Seeds were placed in the water 1:40PM and will be there for no longer than 24 hours
Glasses were covered with cloth so there was no direct light on the seeds.

Current Germination Environment @ 1:40PM April 21, 2017
  • Exhaust Fan = OFF
  • Lights = ON
  • ALL Air Vents = CLOSED
  • Temperature: 22°C
  • 2 Glasses (1 seed per glass due to different strains) - Both seeds have sank to bottom of glass upon entry. Seeds probably slightly cracked or opened from paper towel method the past 48 hours but show no visible opening or cracks.
  • SEED STATUS = NO ROOT

20170421_131625.jpg
20170421_193106.jpg

Current Germination Environment @ 7:40PM April 21, 2017
  • Exhaust Fan = OFF
  • Lights = ON
  • Air Vents = BOTTOM 2 VENTS OPEN
  • 2 Clip On Fans = HIGH SPEED
  • Temperature: 24°C
  • Humidity: 25%
  • SEED STATUS = CRACKED SEED
We finally have cracked seeds. After checking on these seeds the tips have split and it has what looks like a small white hair on each seed, it is a sign things are moving along. I will leave the seeds until morning where I will check and hope to be potting them into their homes for the rest of the grow.

The humidity is something I would like to see increase. I know once the plant starts growing it will/should cause humidity in the growing environment. I flicked the switch and turned on the flower LEDs within the light system to add more temperature to the room.

April 22, 2017 - Germination Update
Current Germination Environment @ 5:30PM April 22, 2017
  • Exhaust Fan = OFF
  • Lights = OFF
  • Air Vents = BOTTOM 2 VENTS OPEN
  • 2 Clip On Fans = OFF
  • SEED STATUS = CRACKED SEED - Visible tap root on both seeds
So it seems that leaving the vents open, with no light on and no fans on did nothing but bring the temps down inside the grow room. Luckily the seeds are showing even more signs of growth when compared to the results from April 21st.

Current results show that both seeds have cracked and that the tap root is no longer looking like a hair and more like what one would expect when germinating seeds.

Steps taken today for the seeds
  • Remove seeds from water (28 hours in water)
  • Placed seeds on moist paper towel between plates and stored on ledge. Will check for moisture. If dry, I will spray them to keep the moisture on towels

CHECKLIST FOR April 22, 2017
Sanitize Grow RoomDONE
Prepare pots (5 Gallon buckets) - Drill holes for drainage on bottom, and a couple at the bottom base for airDONE
Turn all equipment on in grow room to check for issues or malfunctionsDONE
Double check airflow and be sure there are NO leaks coming from the carbon filter of ducting tube.

*If there are leaks in the airflow system, this will be corrected with ducting tape (foil tape)
DONE
Adjust LED Grow light to correct size for seedling stageDONE
Close tent with only the LED lights and 2 clip on fans running to help set the temperature of the environment for immediate planting. Carbon filter fan is not running yetDONE

20170411_202443.jpg
20170422_213031.jpg
20170422_182137.jpg

April 23, 2017 - Planting Update
Current Germination Environment @ 6:00PM April 23, 2017
  • Exhaust Fan = ON
  • Lights = ON
  • ALL Air Vents = OPEN
  • Temperature: 27°C
  • SEED STATUS = PLANTED
Still in the very early stages of germination, but I had a lot of activity overnight and during the day. The tap roots were exposed and great length and it was a sign they had to be potted.

When checking this evening I noticed the CHEESE strain was lacking some moisture on the paper towel. I added some and then I did prep for final transfer to their homes. Letting paper towel dry and have the tap root come in contact is not something to laugh about, keep it moist!

20170423_184441.jpg
20170423_184630.jpg
(Tutankhamon Germination)
(Cheese Germination)

Looking at the images above, Cheese and King Tut (Tutankhamon), has really shown a lot of life and are ready to be placed in their homes. Towels are moist and the tap root is getting very long. This is officially going to be day 1 of week 1. But before I can say this is the start, there are a few things I need to take care of before planting starts.

TEST pH OF WATER - April 24, 2017
Before I plant, I want to be sure that the pH of our water is still within a safe range for our babies. I had already pH’d the water several days before. I have tried normal distilled tap water, and the pH level was reading 7.7 which is excellent drinking water, but no so much for growing anything.

Instead of using tap water, I opted to try the distilled ozonated water from Walmart. These jugs come in 4L sizes are are about 0.80c per bottle. Not a bad trade off considering the water has been through an ozonated cycle.

I have tested the water from the bottles and I was getting a reading of 7.1, still too high for my liking. I have already invested money in more important things required for this project, and would rather not have to purchase the PH DOWN solutions available. I need to make my water more acidic, so I opted for distilled pure white vinegar.

I added 1.5 Tbsp per 4L of water which is just over 1 gallon. So I can safely say a safe dosage of 1.5 Tbsp per gallon will get you where you need to be.

I added the vinegar and gave the 4 liters a good shake. After testing again, our pH level was now sitting at a 6.32. I had a feeling that the pH will increase over the days where it was not placed into any soil and was just sitting there for maintaining room temperatures.

Now today I took out the pH tester out and tested the exact same water before placing it into the soil. I know the pH should change once it is in the soil, but I want to get a fresh reading of the water I'm working with before watering the soil.

20170423_175907.jpg
(pH of water is now 6.44 - Increase of 0.12)

We are in business!!! I have a pH reading of 6.44 from the water which was originally reading pH 6.32 from 5 days ago. I am happy with this number, this pH will be fine.

*Note: I am only going to be adjusting the pH of my water for the first 3-5 weeks. Once I start introducing nutrients to the plant, the pH balance will adjust automatically. This is done from the formula used in Advanced Nutrients PH Perfect Technology. I will be testing this formulated system with my water and checking the pH after to verify its results. Still waiting on delivery of the Advanced Nutrients Micro/Grow/Bloom. Update will be available once items are delivered.

HOW MUCH WATER IS NEEDED?
Next thing I am doing is trying to figure out how much water is needed during to completely soak our soil.

*Note: DO NOT place your germinated seeds in dry soil and then water. The water can push the seeds further down in the soil which can cause the seed to not grow at all or take a very long time to break the surface of the soil. ALWAYS water your soil first to make it moist before planting your germinated seeds!

Setup & Water

1. Fill up 2 X 5 Gallon Buckets with Fox Farms Ocean Forest Potting Soil a couple inches just before the rim of the bucket
  2. Place bucket in trays to collect water
  3. Add pH’d water until there is some runoff
Simple steps taken, and I wanted to give my soil a really good soaking. Over-watering does not happen from the amount of water you add to the pot, rather the amount of times you are watering your plants.

I used a total of 3 Liters of water give or take per bucket. This allowed for both buckets to give me a nice runoff, but not too much runoff to waste water.

After this runoff had happened, I decided to test the pH of our water after it was filtered through the soil
[/B]

20170423_192116.jpg
(pH results of soil runoff)

After I collected some water in the trays, I transferred that collection to a glass and did another test of our pH. Using the pH reader, I stirred the water for a couple seconds, placed the tester into the water and got a reading of 6.53. This makes me happy. I know I have a great foundation of soil and a pH level that is not overkill for the first few weeks of growth

I left the soil for about 15 to 20 minutes to be sure there wasn't a huge runoff happening that I may have to clean up. Runoff had slowed down quite a bit and I then decided to use my 3 in 1 tester to see how our meter was reading our moisture level

20170423_191656.jpg
(Moisture reading of soil)

Soil is nice and wet from top to bottom. Now before I make the final transfer I will be using this meter to give us a pH reading. It is not a digital meter, but if everything has gone as good as it has so far, the meter should give us a reading of a very pleasant pH level

20170423_191833.jpg
(pH level of our soil and water working together)

The meter is give a reading of above 6.0 but not passing 6.5, as water is making its way through the soil is soaking up, the pH levels are adjusting to a nice number for our grow.

The seeds have been planted into the soil about ¼ to ½ of an inch deep. Everything in the grow tent is in full force and turned on, now I just have to wait it out and be sure our top soil remains moist over the next few days while our stem breaches the soil.

April 24, 2017 - Planting Update
Current Germination Environment @ 6:00PM April 24, 2017
  • Exhaust Fan = ON
  • Lights = ON
  • ALL Air Vents = OPEN
  • SEED STATUS = PLANTED
  • Stem Status = NO VISIBLE STEMS YET
After a day in the soil with lights on and good temps, there still has been no sign of any stems breaching the soil.

I have purchased a water bottle sprayer and filled it up with our pH water and lightly misted the top of the soil with this water just to be sure it remained moist and to help the seed sprout through the soil.

Spraying 2 times a day for the first couple days until I see growth where I will then cut back watering to our 2-3 day schedule or as needed

20170424_164829.jpg
(Left - Cheese Autoflower Feminized - Right - Tutankhamon Autoflower Feminized)

*NOTE: Notice the tops of the buckets have several holes going along the rim. I have placed these there in advanced. I will be performing LST (Low Stress Training) on both plants as soon as I am able to. You will see this step later once I get there, but the idea saves me the time and work of having to drill holes with the plant growing inside.

April 25, 2017 - Seedling Update @ 2:50PM
There has been more action happening in the tent overnight. One of my seeds finally broke through the soil. There is no signs of leaves, looks to me either the seed shell is off the plant now with the leaves just needing to unfold. This strain is Tutankhamon which I am most excited about. There has been no sign of activity or breaching of the soil from the Cheese strain yet.

The leaves just done seem to be a good shape, and after looking more closely it is the SEED SHELL that is still attached.

Not sure if I need to remove this or not, I can see a little green from the leaf inside but the shell of the seed is still attached and roughly 50% off...back to doing more reading on this topic

20170425_124307.jpg

April 25, 2017 - Seedling Update - 3:00PM

There has been more action happening in the tent overnight. One of my seeds finally broke through the soil. There is no signs of leaves, looks to me either the seed shell is stuck to the leaves. This strain is Tutankhamon which I am most excited about. There has been no sign of activity or breaching of the soil from the Cheese strain yet.

Seed: Tutankhamon @ 3PM
I have reached out to the forums on here and added a video (see below) of what I was observing. I removed the shell after spraying a few times to moisten the seed cap to prevent any damage to growth. I was able to remove with a pair of tweezers safely, clean, and no damage. From what I was told, we should be good to go here as long as I dont let the top dry out and let the leaves get away from the goo that is visible.

Cheese Seed @ 3PM
The cheese seed was still showing no signs of breaching the soil as of 3:00 PM. The humidity is low in my tent, it is probably due to the season and where I live up north in Canada. Was told by some growers on here it is better to have a lower humidity than a high humidity and I would be fine with growing in 30% and once the plant grows it will give more humidity to the grow room.

I decided to make a dome. I have read about domes to help trap the humidity in during the stage where it is needed the most.This was a quick DIY fix I came up with rather quickly. I had no 2L bottles or anything laying around.

I used a blank CD Cover & Water

I took the spray bottle to the inside of the CD cover. Before doing any of this I sterilized the cover in soap and water to prevent any germs from getting into the tent, and the CD cover was laying around for quite some time, so better safe than sorry.

@ 3:00PM I placed the CD Cover over the middle of the pot as shown below

20170425_195430.jpg

April 25, 2017 - Seedling Update - 8:00PM

Seed: Tutankhamon @ 8PM
Checking in on our babies and oh boy has a lot happened in 5 hours. The Tutankhamon Seed i still in same condition and I would hope the leaves will open up soon.

Seed: CHEESE @ 8PM
Good news here! It only took a couple hours after making this humidity dome, and when I removed the dome I have a stem out of the soil with 2 nice leaves touching the soil. The leaves are probably touching the soil because I had the dome over it to help increase humidity. The dome is now removed and the leaves can now get the correct light they need. I would expect to see the leaves straight up in a few hours or by tomorrow at the latest

20170425_195451.jpg

WATERING SCHEDULE & ENVIRONMENT CONDITIONS
(Table is per bucket - NO nutrients added WATER ONLY @ pH 6.5 per every 4L of water)
WATER3L-
SprayMist spray
twice a day
Mist spray
twice a day
[td]WEEK 1[/td]
[td]DAY 1[/td]
[td]DAY 2[/td]
[td]DAY 3[/td]
[td]DAY 4[/td]
[td]DAY 5[/td]
[td]DAY 6[/td]
[td]DAY 7[/td]

(Temperature and Humidity numbers logged at time of feeding or daily checkup @ 6PM)
Temperature25°C25°C
Humidity30%31%
MoistureMoistMoist
pH6.2 - 6.56.3
[td]WEEK 1[/td]
[td]DAY 1[/td]
[td]DAY 2[/td]
[td]DAY 3[/td]
[td]DAY 4[/td]
[td]DAY 5[/td]
[td]DAY 6[/td]
[td]DAY 7[/td]

So after looking more closely at the seedling that has surfaced, it appears that it is NOT the leaves that are unfolded...rather it is the shell of the seed that is still there. The plant leaves are not getting any light because the shell is about 50% on there covering it up.

Should I water with spray bottle and leave it for a few minutes and try to remove the shell or should I leave it for a day or two and see if it falls off?

Current light schedule 24 hours on
Light Height: 24"

My fingers are crossed that the Cheese strain starts to pop out of the soil soon. This one took the longest to germinate, and is taking the longest to sprout. I hope its a good seed. In the meantime I have placed a plastic cover over the area of the cheese strain that has not sprouted. I sprayed with water and placed it over where it was planted..hoping to create some humidity there for the seed.

So I was doing some reading and from what I gathered it was wise for me to remove the shell off the plant.

I used tweezers to remove it, the shell came off very clean, nothing attached. I sprayed water lightly over it and waited a minute or two before removing. No damage done or anything.

Now...after removing the shell it does look very strange. I have been around a couple friends who have grown and they never had this issue, but the plant looks like its in danger

Maybe I am being too over protective over my girl, but I rather find errors now and fix them rather than later when its too late.

I took a quick 1 minute video for you to see what I am talking about.

Should I just leave it alone, or does something need to be done to this little one. Inside the fan leaves I can see the green, the outside or what you are seeing in the video is going to be the bottom of the leaves or the under side

Anyways, here is the video showing what is happening. If someone out there can please provide me with any information if this is normal or doomed...

Seedling problem? - YouTube

Had a member by the name of Buzzer777 provide me feedback letting me know all is well

"You are fine! That happens a lot these days, and you did right by removing the seed cap. Now the seedling will grow out of that gooey stuff by itself. I would gently mist it to help it along. Same thing happened to a couple of my seedlings, and by keeping the cap moist enabled the seedling to shed it by itself."

So that is that..shell is off and now the waiting game starts, hope that goo goes away as Buzzer pointed out.

April 26, 2017 - Seedling Update

Cheese Strain @ 3:00 PM
Cheese strain was showing some signs of life at 8:00PM last night. She was still laying on the soil but I could see the stem starting to work its way up in the air to get at that light.

I gave her a light mist spray at 8:00 PM last night before calling it a night on them and she is getting bigger every day now! Very exciting time!

20170426_144041.jpg

Tutankhamon Seed @ 3:00PM
This plant had the membrane of the seed still attached last night and I misted with water lightly a couple of time to get moisture there so it was easily able to be removed. As soon as I removed the membrane the 2 side leaves unfolded. Today, we have another set of leaves that have emerged. Things are going great with this one so far, she is standing tall and proud!

20170426_144059.jpg

(Table is per bucket - NO nutrients added WATER ONLY @ pH 6.5 per every 4L of water)
WATER3L---
WATERMist spray topsoil
2+ times daily
Mist spray topsoil
2+ times daily
Mist spray topsoil
2+ times daily
Mist spray topsoil
2+ times daily
[td]WEEK 1[/td]
[td]DAY 1[/td]
[td]DAY 2[/td]
[td]DAY 3[/td]
[td]DAY 4[/td]
[td]DAY 5[/td]
[td]DAY 6[/td]
[td]DAY 7[/td]

(Temperature and Humidity numbers logged at time of feeding or daily checkup @ 6PM)
Temperature25°C25°C26°C25°C
Humidity30%31%30% - 33%28% - 31%
MoistureMoistMoistMoistMoist
pH6.2 - 6.5---
[td]WEEK 1[/td]
[td]DAY 1[/td]
[td]DAY 2[/td]
[td]DAY 3[/td]
[td]DAY 4[/td]
[td]DAY 5[/td]
[td]DAY 6[/td]
[td]DAY 7[/td]

The topsoil seems moist because I am spraying it several times a day to be sure it does not dry up for the early growth. When I place the 3 in 1 meter in the soil a few inches deep it reads moist, if i stick my finger in soil stick to my finger. I will hold off on watering again, I am using 5 Gallon buckets so this could have something to do with it.

Thanks Mariwannna! Trying to keep it very detailed for those who need the info down the road, me included :)

I will go check your journal out and be sure to keep an eye on it as it grows!

I will be doing the LST method, I am not sure about topping, I heard bad things about topping autos, and where this is my 1st I rather not screw anything up!

Thanks for swinging by :)

Thanks Mariwannna! Trying to keep it very detailed for those who need the info down the road, me included :)

I will go check your journal out and be sure to keep an eye on it as it grows!

I will be doing the LST method, I am not sure about topping, I heard bad things about topping autos, and where this is my 1st I rather not screw anything up!

Thanks for swinging by :)

My Tutankhamen girls took to the topping very well - not even a slow down on growth. I believe in you!

April 27, 2017 - Seedling Update
Today I have been keeping my eye out on the soil. I have lightly misted because the top layer felt a little dry but the first few inches deep were moist. 5 days in now and since the last watering. Tonight I will be changing up how I water these plants, and it should take about an hour to do it.

Things to do:
  • Check proper pH level of water
  • Measure out 1L of water at a time per pot during feeding (nutrient free water)
  • Add 1L of pH balanced water to 5 Gallon pot, then repeat for 2nd pot
  • Wait 30 minutes before adding another 1L of pH balanced water
  • Wait 15 minutes before adding another 1L of pH balanced water
  • Wait 15 minutes before adding another 1L of pH balanced water
TOTAL FEEDING = 1.1 Gallons per plant

The reason I have decided to water like this is because I want to test for the runoff and see how good the water is able to escape from the pot when it needs to. If it takes a very long time to get any runoff then I need to correct this by placing more drainage holes to the pots required.

Had some really great runoff considering this is the 1st time I watered the soil with the plants living in it (2nd time in total)

20170428_021639.jpg

Not only did we get a great runoff from 4L of water, we also tested the pH level of this runoff and I had the exact same results (+- 0.1) of 6.60

20170428_015453.jpg

WATER3L---4L-
WATERMist spray topsoil
2 times daily
Mist spray topsoil
2 times daily
Mist spray topsoil
2 times daily
--Mist lightly
[td]WEEK 1[/td]
[td]DAY 1[/td]
[td]DAY 2[/td]
[td]DAY 3[/td]
[td]DAY 4[/td]
[td]DAY 5[/td]
[td]DAY 6[/td]
[td]DAY 7[/td]

[tdMist spray topsoil
2 times daily][/td]

Temperature25°C25°C26°C25°C27°C26°C
Humidity30%31%30% - 33%28% - 33%32%37%
MoistureVery MoistMoistMoistMoistDryVery Moist
pH6.2 - 6.56.2 - 6.46.2 - 6.46.2 - 6.46.66.5
[td]WEEK 1[/td]
[td]DAY 1[/td]
[td]DAY 2[/td]
[td]DAY 3[/td]
[td]DAY 4[/td]
[td]DAY 5[/td]
[td]DAY 6[/td]
[td]DAY 7[/td]

April 28, 2017 - Seedling Update
Seedling Update @ 9:20PM

Last night we decided at 12AM that we were going to start watering our plants. The soils was always moist from misting the soil during the day, knuckle deep the soil was dry, it felt cool, but was dry. We added 4L per pot, and let drainage happen through a watering schedule as you can on the previous post.

Today we examine our flowers. There was more runoff in the trays again when I checked. There was not a lot but it was enough for me to do a pH test and we were sitting strong at a solid 6.51

Below is the before and after photos of our plants from the last time we have photographed them

DAY 4 (Cheese)​
20170426_144041.jpg
DAY 6 (Cheese)​
20170428_195722.jpg

DAY 4 (Tutankhamon)​
20170426_144059.jpg
DAY 6 (Tutankhamon)​
20170428_195745.jpg

Im going to tag along if you don't mind, im also on my first indoor grow with autos, im on day 18 today. Best of luck to you.✌

Tag along as long as you like! The more the better! I invite anyone to chat it up or post suggestions to help me improve on my 1st grow..I am love this so far!

What strain(s) are you trying out?

Tag along as long as you like! The more the better! I invite anyone to chat it up or post suggestions to help me improve on my 1st grow..I am love this so far!

What strain(s) are you trying out?
I am doing white widow auto and thc bomb auto, the first and last pics are ww, the one in the middle thats missing a fan leaf is thc bomb auto. Looks like you have a good setup, i am a rookie also, maybe we can give each other some pointers. ✌

Attachments

• 53c7a0317b987cc9dfa79baae513a2a3.jpg
    53c7a0317b987cc9dfa79baae513a2a3.jpg
    423.8 KB · Views: 299
  • 20080a5c8f637635a932e3f7019ee787.jpg
    20080a5c8f637635a932e3f7019ee787.jpg
    369.9 KB · Views: 331
  • 45190c04aec3c39ad51637b8cc4622f2.jpg
    45190c04aec3c39ad51637b8cc4622f2.jpg
    446.8 KB · Views: 281
May 1st, 2017 - Vegetation Update
Vegetation Update @ 8:40PM
It has been a few days since I have updated on here. 3 days ago we seen more progress and did a before and after comparison to both plants. Today is day 5 of Veg stage (Day 8 since germination) and there has been some more activity in our room.

I have been noticing the humidity is no longer in the 20’s anymore, this is either because Spring is in full force or the plants are already giving off humidity. It is not a huge increase, only about 2%-5% but its better than nothing.

Today we also lowered the light from 24” to 19”, I am using an 240W LED light and there is not a lot of heat being given off from this unit. Since day 1 our tent has maintained a great temperature of between 25-28%.

The reason I decided to lower was one of the leaves looked like it was dark and pointing down. Almost as if there was no activity, either way we will see if it helps or not, and 18” - 24” is the recommended range for my light in Vegetation stage.

While also lowering the lights, I have also started to rotate the pots. I turn them 1/2 way each day just to be sure all areas are getting light. I know its very early stages but its better to start some good habits early as we continue to grow these ladies.

As we also end WEEK 1 we will be stopping all spraying of mist on our plants from now going forward. The light cycle is still 24/0 and I will probably keep it that way until the end.

Cheese Strain - DAY 5 of Vegetation​
20170501_210650.jpg

Lots of growth here from the Cheese, it’s almost 2” high and seems healthy. The stem was leaning to the left, I moved some soil around and left it and it's now straight and pointing up to the light without any bending in the stems.

Tutankhamon Strain - DAY 5 of Vegetation​
20170501_210455.jpg

Our King Tut is really progressing along. I was concerned about the leaf on the left side when it starts to point down then come back up, but so far there are no signs that really warn me. I am thinking it was lighting, and tonight we lowered our LED light down to 19” and

Today is also Day 3 since our last watering. I am debating on watering 1L per day or just continue with the 4L of water every 3-5 days. Read some articles about “Feed Less & Water More” and it's got me thinking for when it's time to introduce the 3-part nutrient system.

20170501_210744.jpg
20170501_210749.jpg

WATERING SCHEDULE & TEMPS
Week 1
WEEK1DAY 1DAY 2DAY 3DAY 4DAY 5DAY 6DAY 7
WATER4L---4L--
SprayMist spray
X2 per day
Mist spray
X2 per day
Mist spray
X2 per day
Mist spray
X2 per day
--Very light misting
LED Height24"24"24"24"24"24"24"
Growth StageVEGETATION
STARTED

WEEK 1DAY 1DAY 2DAY 3DAY 4DAY 5DAY 6DAY 7
Temperature25°C25°C26°C25°C27°C26°C28°C
Humidity30%31%30% -33%28% - 31%32%37%33%
MoistureVery MoistVery MoistMoistMoistDryVery MoistMoist
pH Level6.2 - 6.56.4 - 6.46.2 - 6.46.4 - 6.46.56.56.4

WEEK 2
WEEK 2DAY 8DAY 9DAY 10DAY 11DAY 12DAY 13DAY 14
WATER--
LED HeightLowered to 19"19"

WEEK 2DAY 8DAY 9DAY 10DAY 11DAY 12DAY 13DAY 14
Temperature26°C27°C
Humidity31%30%
MoistureMoist 1" deepFeels cool 2" deep
pH Level6.3 - 6.56.3 - 6.5

So I have been doing some reading on watering, and there has been a few people posting that its a good idea to water more but feed less...

Say I feed 4L every 4 days, they break that 4L feeding down to 1L feeding each day

They do this with nutrients when feeding, they cut back on the nutrients being fed and break it into daily feedings instead of every few days,so I will throw the question out...is this safe? I am concerned about over watering. But again, I am using 5Gallon buckets so the water I am giving is being used mostly by the soil and not the plant where she is still a baby with a small root system, and it would suck having to flush out any nutrients in my soil because of these large feedings I am giving my plant.

Any advice on this anyone?

so it's about 8 days above ground right? If you're in soil, Im pretty sure you dont need nutrients just yet man. Im in coco, but I've heard that soil should generally be good on nutes for at least a couple weeks.

With regards to watering, well I dont currently have any Cannabis plants in soil, but I have pepper plants going. And with them, underwatering is a much safer route to go that risking drowning the roots. I get that you're trying to keep the roots damp and avoid unnecessary water around the soil, but personally, when it's time for the next watering, I'd avoid watering, lets say, more than a 2 inch radius from the plant, but I'd water semi-thoroughly, avoiding run-off. But honestly, I'd like to emphasize that underwatering is not a huge problem, over watering is. You can kinda get a feel for how damp your soil is. If its dry as hell, water well. thats what I say man. Im not super experienced tho

Hi there,
Every thing looks perfect so far mate, you've simply over-potted your plants, not a big deal but without realizing.. you can easily over do it. As mentioned above, you'll need to only water around the the stem not all the soil and don't wait for run off, as the water will sit deeper and not be up-taken; which may lead to over-watering.
No need to feed yet, wait at least till the second set of "true" leaves and start very light.
I would also suggest against using B&W pictures as it's impossible to tell what the plant is saying/doing with no colour, you can tell when to start the feed by the leaves, until you know the strain.

g/l dude
peace

Hi there,
Every thing looks perfect so far mate, you've simply over-potted your plants, not a big deal but without realizing.. you can easily over do it. As mentioned above, you'll need to only water around the the stem not all the soil and don't wait for run off, as the water will sit deeper and not be up-taken; which may lead to over-watering.
No need to feed yet, wait at least till the second set of "true" leaves and start very light.
I would also suggest against using B&W pictures as it's impossible to tell what the plant is saying/doing with no colour, you can tell when to start the feed by the leaves, until you know the strain.

g/l dude
peace

Thanks for your replies guys

I dont plan on feeding at all until week 3 to 5..had no plans on feeding before then.

The reason I uses the 5 Gallon bucket is because it's an autoflower and I have been reading about how it's not at all recommended to transplant autos and to put them on the pot they will be finished in.

I totally get what you mean where the bottom soil is always moist. I will start to water using no runoff going forward until she is much larger. And thanks for the tip on the photos I will switch to color starting today..ocerlooked that :)

My original question about watering was raised when I seen a autoflower feeding schedule that has started in week 5. The user has a schedule created and has high praise how well his yields turn out. He says to feed less and water more. He would water 1L every day instead of 4L every 4 days. So that's where my question came from.

If you look at my water schedule I have only watered 2 times since they been in pots. Day 1 i watered the soil before planting seeds and 5 days later i watered again. Today I believe is day 5 or 6 since my last water I'm willing to wait as long as I need to water I was just asking if it would be good to try that 1L per day so I can start it in my next watering.

How much would you advise to water around the stem without overdoing it with the size it's at now?

Would you recommend I wait until all my soil top to bottom is dry before i start watering around the stem again? I want to correct this if its possible. I don't want this moist soil at the bottom causing issues if it's not being used.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom