My 2017 Outdoor Soil Gurls

Renegade69

My 2017 Outdoor Soil Gurls...

26 Apr 17, Wednesday

I'm a bit late getting this out but did want to post something in case I needed to reach out and axe some questions...lol.

I'm actually not sure when I started but it was the week of the 12th...LOL.

Hope we all enjoy the show... And without further delay....

I'm late because I didn't have a good spot to germ, my seeds hadn't arrived and it was still too cold out. Once I found a spot to germ I realized I could have started sooner.

So our gurls are late bloomers. Should have 2' gurls by now and instead I have seedlings. I'll make up for it with 24 hour LED till a couple weeks before they go outside then put them on a schedule. Whatever current sunrise to sunset schedule they are at. Night time temps are still in the low 40's which is another reason they will be delayed going outside. I could chance it if I had those 2' plants. Shooting for mid May to go outside or once night time temps average above 50 degrees.

First the preliminary stuff out of the way...
Strain's are an unknown mix of outdoor strains from B.C. Bud Depot. Which could include: Texada Timewarp, T.H. Seeds Lambo, Pinewarp, Purple Star, Mighty Mite, Egmont Outdoor, Island Sweet Skunk and Pamplemousse.
Currently in seedling stage, second set of leafs for most of them and a first set for a few
Soil outdoor
Germination: Aerogarden and paper towel
Light: P300 till they are ready to be potted outdoors
Soil: Nectar of the Gods
Nutrients: Nectar of the Gods
Growing style: Strictly set it and forget it. Nutrients every other week or so.

So I lost my seed bank when I left NC. Had to start over. Reached out to BC for some outdoor strains. They had an "Outdoor Mix". Which means any of the above listed outdoor strains.

I started with 6 in the AG but panicked when I couldn't get the pump to work. So I immediately germinated another 7 the old fashion way. Paper towel. Went back to figure out the AG after the paper towel gurls went in the drawer and got the AG working proper. So I had 13 going at once. Only needed 6...lol.

Paper towel seeds popped in a day or so. 3rd day tap root was present so I put them in the soil. 4 of those popped. 3 of the six AG gurls popped fast. Maybe same strain. The last 3 were slow to come out but finally broke thru.

The gurls will be planted out in the back forty somewhere and down by the lake. The lake spot is nice because it's got all day sun. Both spots are in legal states.

Have already potted up 3 of the gurls from the AG. The early bloomers. They are on their 3rd set of leaves. All others are on their 2nd set. I'll pot up the last 3 AG before the weeks out.

First nutrient feeding the weekend of the 29th. That's about 2 weeks from germination. Strength will be 25%.

The LED will play around 18".

Since this is primarily an outdoor grow with little to no attention, updates will be at a minimum as well.

Welcome to my garden....

30 Apr 17, Sunday....

So it has begun...LOL.

Temp in grow room between 66-72. I know I need to get it higher. Working on that.

The gurls are in 6" pots for now.

The water...

Tap (well, non artisan) water at 066ppm, 7.0ph. Distilled water for the testing solution: 001ppm, 6.0ph. Tester calibrated to 6.9 using 6.86 solution powder and distilled water. 1305ppm. Tap water was at 7.0 after calibration. Ph, 5.5 and 770ppm after solution. Adjusted with PH up. Started with .5ml which took it to 5.8-5.9. Another .5ml took it to 6.0ph. Another 1.0ml took it to 6.3ph. Another 1.0 took it to 6.5.
Each gurl took 1/2 to 1 cup of water. Soil is very moist to touch. How often should I water? Till the soil is dry?

Plants look healthy.

That's it...lol.

04 May 17, Thursday....

Well moving along. The gurls are now at week 3 and all but one seem to be fine. One has a slight leaf curl and coloration. Too soon for nutrients (hadn't added any up till this last weekend) so maybe LED burn....ie cal/mag issue. In soil? This early on? LED has been 2-3' above the plants from the start.

Temps suck because the room is in the basement and I through the area together in a hast. My averages are barely above 75. Still not concerned. Once they hit the outside air and temps they will be just fine....I hope...LOL.

All gurls have had a cup of nutrients. 1/2 on sunday and another 1/2 on tuesday. Soil is no longer moist but feels cold when touched.

Interesting note about this soil is that when it's dry the top crust will lighten up a bit. For me that's an indication that the soil is dry down low. I've tested this on a couple pots to get an idea of when it's dry. It helps me anyways...LOL.

So nutrient question. I'd love to hear from anyone who has used Nector For The Gods nutrient line. How long can I hold left over nutrients? Made a batch and only used half of what I mixed. Next question, how much per plant per pot and how often. I've been playing the dry on top game and just wanted another's input. I also water till I see some run off starting. They are in quart pots and will be potted up to gallon pot's till they get planted outside. One will be left in a pot thru the season. It will eventually end up in a 10 gallon pot. I'm also reaching out to NFTG for some input on usage.

I'll post pictures this weekend which will show 3 of the gurls ready to be moved outside. These 3 are working on thier first set of true leaf's. I'll take the chance with the outside temps with these gurls. The others will remain in the grow room but will go on a light schedule. Which I will adjust to the current sunup/sunset times. The next 3 the next weekend till only one gurl remains. She will be my pot princes. 10-15 gal pot that I can drag around the property when I need to. I'm figuring a gal of nutrients per plant when they get moved outside in the dirt.

Good luck with your grow, I'll just sit back and observe, thank you. Sorry I can't offer much wisdom right now. :)

Welcome Juggr... I normally do hydro but have been venturing outdoors with a couple of gorilla grows. This is only my third. First year sucked...LOL. Last year was pretty good. This year I'm reaching out for input...LOL.

Hope you enjoy the show....

Really nothing going on but the rent...LOL. Almost 4 weeks old and the gurls are barely working on their 2 set of true leaves. Of the 10 1 seems to be a runt. I may keep her inside till the solstice. The rest are looking great but compared to my hydro gurls (which includes the last 2 seasons of gorilla grows) these seem to be coming along very slow. At 4 weeks in hydro they were well established and flourishing. Dam New England temps are a bitch to say the least. From highs in the 70's with lows in the 50's we had to scrape windshields last weekend. The up coming week only get's the day time temps around 60 with the night time temps in the 30's and 40's. Ugh...should have started these gurls last month.

Ok, enough whining....

Here's a few pics. Not impressed at all.

IMG_095639.JPG

IMG_095539.JPG

IMG_095446.JPG

IMG_095148.JPG

IMG_095054.JPG

IMG_094951.JPG

09 May 17, Thursday....

The gurls are moving along nicely. The weather isn't. Outside temps are in the 60's with the low's in the 30's and 40's.

So they took some nutrients. Full strength per schedule.

Tap water ph7.0, ppm110
Calibration solution ph6.9

Nutrient solution up'd from 5.5 to 6.5 with ppm at 685

The triplets are getting bigger so they'll get potted up to gal pots this weekend. Tiny is still with us and I'm hoping she'll make it.

This is what they looked like this morning...

IMG_095843.JPG

IMG_095747.JPG

I hadn't grown in 40 years, and never in containers outdoor or indoor, only in an outdoor garden. the 1st year of trying again in 2014 was a major screw-up.
2nd year was quite an improvement and 3rd year outstanding, 4th year looking very promising. The learning curve isn't steep, pay

attention(a little OCD goes a long way) just the simple bs one doesn't think about until they see it happening to their little girls is what

makes the difference. Me and my two surviving brain cells need to see it to believe it and learn it. I could read about this stuff all day,

basically don't mean much until it enters my eyeballs(seeing it grow in person) and rolls around in my brain trying to find those two severely damaged units I have

left. Guess that is why you people who can do this grow stuff indoors have my respect & admiration, I couldn't get past day 1, fortunately

indoor stuff & outdoor stuff share a lot of common concepts so any news is good news, even bad news after a while becomes good news.

side note: until the girls start shading their root zone with foliage(or even after) putting a layer of burlap around the root zone
out past the drip line helps maintain even temps and slows down evapo-transpiration. can use a 8-12" piece of tie wire or copper wire, bend in a U shape like a big staple and use it to hold the burlap firmly in place around the plant. all my shite is in 5-20 gal
buckets above ground with this method, had a severe wind & thunder/rain storm yesterday, not one girl had her skirts ruffled.
be

I hadn't grown in 40 years, and never in containers outdoor or indoor, only in an outdoor garden. the 1st year of trying again in 2014 was a major screw-up.
2nd year was quite an improvement and 3rd year outstanding, 4th year looking very promising. The learning curve isn't steep, pay

attention(a little OCD goes a long way) just the simple bs one doesn't think about until they see it happening to their little girls is what

makes the difference. Me and my two surviving brain cells need to see it to believe it and learn it. I could read about this stuff all day,

basically don't mean much until it enters my eyeballs(seeing it grow in person) and rolls around in my brain trying to find those two severely damaged units I have

left. Guess that is why you people who can do this grow stuff indoors have my respect & admiration, I couldn't get past day 1, fortunately

indoor stuff & outdoor stuff share a lot of common concepts so any news is good news, even bad news after a while becomes good news.

side note: until the girls start shading their root zone with foliage(or even after) putting a layer of burlap around the root zone
out past the drip line helps maintain even temps and slows down evapo-transpiration. can use a 8-12" piece of tie wire or copper wire, bend in a U shape like a big staple and use it to hold the burlap firmly in place around the plant. all my shite is in 5-20 gal
buckets above ground with this method, had a severe wind & thunder/rain storm yesterday, not one girl had her skirts ruffled.
be

You lost me at hello Jive but the one thing I agree with is the burlap. I won't be using burlap but when the gurls go outside in their plots I will cover the area with gardners plastic to keep the weeds at bay. All gurls will pot up to 1 gallon pots unless the weather changes drasticly around here. The longer I keep them in the pots and under the LED the better. I'm shooting for 2' at the least before going outside. Again that is weather permitting. And the LED is still at 24 light schedule. I just don't have the heart to change it with their slow growth. I do want to adjust that just before they go outside so maybe this weekend.

Thank you for dropping by and your input is greatly appreciated.

Side note...gonna take some white light shots and send to BC and see if they can identify the strains for me. I ordered a bag set of outdoor gurls and have no idea what is what. The Triplets look the same and like I said Tiny stands on her own.

Another side not...LOL...Tiny is moving along after her feeding yesterday. She's finally working on her first true set of leaves. Side shoots are going crazy on the Triplets.

Dude that sounds like miserable weather. I'm from Washington state I moved to the desert southwest. Brrr

Welcome Outdoorsman....LOL. Yea, it's crazy New England weather. We should be in the 70's at least. It does give me some time for the gurls to get some more stretch to them though so a plus.

Outdoorsman, where you at?? I'm in Las Cruces, nm area. do 3 more quick posts & you will be able to communicate privately if ya want to.

need a close outdoor person to harass and laugh with.

1st off your not to late to plant outside in fact you are right on schedule. You mentioned that this was going to be a gorilla grow which means supplemental light is not an option. I live in Oregon and have planted outside as early as the end of March but I had to use supplemental lights to keep them from switching to flower. Today there is 15 hours and 29 minutes of daylight but back on say April 14th there was only around 14 hours of daylight. I have always heard the rule of thumb for planting out doors is Mothers day. Gee guess what, thats this weekend!

Best of luck with your grow

1st off your not to late to plant outside in fact you are right on schedule. You mentioned that this was going to be a gorilla grow which means supplemental light is not an option. I live in Oregon and have planted outside as early as the end of March but I had to use supplemental lights to keep them from switching to flower. Today there is 15 hours and 29 minutes of daylight but back on say April 14th there was only around 14 hours of daylight. I have always heard the rule of thumb for planting out doors is Mothers day. Gee guess what, thats this weekend!

Best of luck with your grow

Welcome OG...and thanks for stopping by. Yes, gorilla grow with about 3-6 plots. 3 others will be tended to on the lake. And at least 1 will stay with me...outside but tended too by me.

Funny, we're getting rain with the highs in the 60's but next week we're finally in the 70's.

Yep, regardless most of the gurls are going outside within the next few days.

Back
Top Bottom