My First Grow Ever! Excited!

DominaMortem

So I made a grow journal a couple of days ago but I don't like how I did it (trying to get it deleted). So here is my new one. I hope to make some growing friends alone the way.

So here's my specifics.

I have 4 clones
2 Girl Scout Cookies
2 Sour Durbans

I also have 7 seedlings

4 are Afghani (currently 2 days old)
3 are Pineapple Chunk (almost 2 months old.

Now here's the story with the Pineapple Chunk....
I had done no research when I germinated them and just put them in the window. They were there for a couple of weeks and were so stared for light that hey didn't grow much. I put them in the basement but didn't monitor the temperature. And of course, temps got below freezing. Can't believe the poor gals are still alive. They aren't growing much taller but are starting to finally grow more leaves.

My grow room is a room in our basement. Two walls are concrete and the other two are wood.
Temperature ranges from 74.3-78.6.
For lights I have three fluorescent. One on the wall and two above.
Don't quite remember the wattage of the wall light. The overhead lights are 48W and 28W.

Just some personal notes:
I need to figure out a means of air circulation.

Question for anyone who can answer, are the youngest seedlings too tall?
pic21_May212017_.jpg
pic22_May212017_.jpg
pic15_May212017_.jpg
pic13_May212017_.jpg
pic20_May212017_.jpg
pic19_May212017_.jpg
pic17_May212017_.jpg

If you have room (soil is pretty high in the container already)..Move some soil up around the stem..That will help support the stretchy stems..ideal would be to leave about 1" of stem exposed.
Anything below the starter leaves can become roots..roots are the name of the game!
Also move the light down closer to the tops..Florescents should not burn them..maybe like 3-4" away..Put the back of your hand between the light and your hand..If you feel heat..lights are too close. Adjust as needed...

Looking good! I agree that the girls look a little stretched and the light could be a lot closer. ("Back of the hand" test to see if it's too warm.)

You probably know that you are going to need a lot more light soon, no? Lumens lumens lumens! ;)

Good luck and have fun. It looks like you're off to a great start. :)

Looking good! I agree that the girls look a little stretched and the light could be a lot closer. ("Back of the hand" test to see if it's too warm.)

You probably know that you are going to need a lot more light soon, no? Lumens lumens lumens! ;)

Good luck and have fun. It looks like you're off to a great start. :)
I know I'm going to need a lot more light just not sure how much...

So if you want to stay cheap a 8 bulb t5 454w fixture is about 100 used to 240 new. MH or HPS can range between 50 used on Craigslist to 300 new at a store. The amount of light you want is equal to the yield desired vs space. Minimum space in my opinion is 5x5 for a 1000w, 4x4 for 600w, 2x2 for 400w and nothing for any less. With those florescent single bulbs you have you should move the light to about 6 inches above the plant during seedlings stage (till it grows it's 5th node) to reduce the stretch. Cause remember when it gets to flower it will double to triple in size before it finishes. This is all info I have gathered off of members here and The Grow Boss who is teaching me to grow. I am fortunate and live near him. Check him out, The Grow Boss. Great for beginners and experienced alike.

1st Grow - SSH x 4 - 450 Watt 8 Bulb T5

So if you want to stay cheap a 8 bulb t5 454w fixture is about 100 used to 240 new. MH or HPS can range between 50 used on Craigslist to 300 new at a store. The amount of light you want is equal to the yield desired vs space. Minimum space in my opinion is 5x5 for a 1000w, 4x4 for 600w, 2x2 for 400w and nothing for any less. With those florescent single bulbs you have you should move the light to about 6 inches above the plant during seedlings stage (till it grows it's 5th node) to reduce the stretch. Cause remember when it gets to flower it will double to triple in size before it finishes. This is all info I have gathered off of members here and The Grow Boss who is teaching me to grow. I am fortunate and live near him. Check him out, The Grow Boss. Great for beginners and experienced alike.

1st Grow - SSH x 4 - 450 Watt 8 Bulb T5

So I lowered the light today and turned them a little. Thanks very much for the info on lighting :)

I'll bet you can still get that light a lot closer, which your plants will like. As long as the light doesn't feel too warm on the back of your hand when your hand is at plant level, it's OK. Remember, you want your plants to feel like it is a sunny day at noon. Bright! (A small fan blowing over the plants will also really help to prevent overheating.)

I would also suggest ditching the oversize saucers and get the plants in close and directly under the beam path of the light. That would also significantly increase the lumens.

And finally, that's a comparatively big open space with lots of room for the light to wander off. Getting everything close to the reflective surfaces you have and placing more reflective surfaces close to the plants will also get you a lot more bang for your buck.

Lumens lumens lumens! ;) Fiat lux!

(One more thought: You can get a light meter from Amazon for $16 that will tell you exactly how much light each plant is getting. You want about 50,000 lux or more. I'll bet yours in the photo are only getting maybe 15,000, and the one off on the right less than that.)

I don't mean to sing a one-note tune, but the difference between a plant that is merely surviving and one that is really thriving seems to be about 40,000 lux.

Back
Top Bottom