Sphnx's Norcal Outdoor Season

Strains:
(5) Jedi Northern Lights x Triple OG
(1) Blue Dream x Triple OG
Started from seed indoors. Transplanted outdoors May 19th.
Soil: Worm castings, sea bird guano, carnivorous bat guano, fruit bat guano, composted chicken and cow manure, alfalfa compost, perlite, coco coir, fruit rind/peel compost, kelp compost, fox farm ocean forest, norcal red topsoil (for bacteria), mycelium, and added Mychorrizae
Boxes: 2 yards of soil
7x3 planter: 4.5 yards of soil
In ground hole: 5.75 yards of soil.
I dug into the red dirt a few feet under each box and pulverized the red dirt. Really softened it up, so the roots can continue into the ground. No bottoms on the boxes.

Im glad to be growing again! California said I can have 6. So I'll grow 6 monsters. :thumb:

Blue Dream x Triple OG
20170522_143701.jpg

Jedi Northern Lights x Triple OG
20170522_143718.jpg
20170522_143745.jpg
20170522_143759.jpg
20170522_143822.jpg

It's beautiful around here. I'm more than excited to run an outdoor season. It's going to be a change of pace from indoor.

Sub'd for the flowers!

If you wanna break up that hard pan soil, try broadcasting calcium carbonate in the form of Crustacean meal (lobster/shrimp/crab shell meal). It takes a month or 2 but your soil will begin to look more viable over time. I've been doing that with our yard and it was VERY hard compacted clay .... the calcium helps to loosen the clay get better drainage.

Those raised beds look great... good job. I know that's a lot of work. Put the ARM in farming bro. Those plants will be monsters soon enough.

How come only 6 plants I thought in Cali you could go to 99 plants ..... ??

Our medical cards are getting renewed pretty soon. We have more females ready, but waiting to be legit. Code enforcement is pretty strict around here. If we go anywhere close to 99 we'd probably have the feds here. They patrol blm every other day. Playing it safe this year until we have some stuff figured out and licensed. I actually used gypsum for the soil softening, it worked pretty well, but I did it during winter so once it started warming up it ended up hard again. It's clay... so not much I can do. The roots can still get down into it pretty far so I'm content :)

Tomorrow, my fiance and I are getting our cards renewed. Then I'm filling more boxes, we have 28 females that will get 2 yards of soil each in a box. Some may go into giant holes in the ground, still weighing my options. I'm not messing around this year, it's been too long since I've been able to grow (apartment living isn't for me.. I need garden space) and I need some monsters in my life. You know what I mean? Thanks for the welcome, I've been wanting to get on and chat but not being able to grow and looking at grow logs all day would have driven me even more crazy.

Some shots from today.

Blue Dream x Triple OG
20170523_111606.jpg

Jedi Northern Lights x Triple OG
20170523_111633.jpg
20170523_111704.jpg
20170523_111732.jpg
20170523_111749.jpg
20170523_111757.jpg
20170523_111818.jpg

The rest are:
Big ones in the back- Jedi Northern Lights x Triple OG
Blue Dream x Triple OG
Kryptonite
Purple Kush x Kryptonite
Purple Kush x LA Confidential
20170523_111841.jpg

Our medical cards are getting renewed pretty soon. We have more females ready, but waiting to be legit. Code enforcement is pretty strict around here. If we go anywhere close to 99 we'd probably have the feds here. They patrol blm every other day. Playing it safe this year until we have some stuff figured out and licensed. I actually used gypsum for the soil softening, it worked pretty well, but I did it during winter so once it started warming up it ended up hard again. It's clay... so not much I can do. The roots can still get down into it pretty far so I'm content :)

Good on ya for getting out into the country.. apartment living... meh. I need woods and some big ass gardens. The only grass I wanna cut is the grass that grows on trees .. boom.

You can break up the clay.. keep treating it with calcium carbonate ... Gypsum works too and the Sulfur in the Gypsum is important. Likely you need A LOT more calcium carbonate and that's a lot cheaper than Gypsum.. can mix the 2 together. Try your local AG store and ask them how much to use to help your soil. They will tell you or hand you a soil test kit that you send into Cal State or the like. That's the exact thing the soil test is for. You'd be surprised how you can turn a turd into a flower...

We had hard pan clay when we first moved here ... now our outdoor space is one giant garden of flowers berries fruits and veggies and a few trees. I spread crab meal around like it's chicken feed (they'd eat it too if we had em) like 4 times a year. It's slow release and that's what helps the slow release part. Gypsum will release its Ca much faster than Calcium Carbonate. So mix the 2 together... you'd be surprised and how much you need to use... why I mentioned going to the local AG store... they also have alfalfa for feed, that's a great amendment.

The Calcium will break down and do more work if you add in something like grass clippings .. cut the grass but let it get taller b4 cut ... so more material to decompose helps release the Ca and the S and your clay will become soil. Where you're growing raised beds the clay will naturally become soil.

Growing other flowers in the yard is good too... helps attract birds they shit and eat insects... double bonus.

That and it helps when authorities are looking at your garden and see you grow more than just cannabis. You'd be surprised how a few pretty flowers help make people feel more positive.

Thanks for the tips! Man, we have tons of flowers and plants (non cannabis) scattered around the yard. Poppies, bearded iris and other similar flowers, cactus, morning glories, sunflowers, mullein, mugwort, wild mint, grapes, 33 fruit trees and 4 kiwi vines, including a male for the females and 1 self pollinating kiwi vine that fruits resemeble grapes. We're setting up a 70' x 110' vegetable and fruit tree gardent out in one of the meadows. It's going to be very apparent that we're up here doing other stuff than growing and trashing the mountain. Plus we're working on finding a chill lawyer, just in case they do cruise by. If we hand them a lawyers card, they won't even bother.. there are so many other people up here blatantly breaking the law that don't have any legal back up... we wouldn't be worth the trouble to this broke county. I'm really not too concerned, just want to have all my bases covered before I commit fully.

Thanks for the tips! Man, we have tons of flowers and plants (non cannabis) scattered around the yard. Poppies, bearded iris and other similar flowers, cactus, morning glories, sunflowers, mullein, mugwort, wild mint, grapes, 33 fruit trees and 4 kiwi vines, including a male for the females and 1 self pollinating kiwi vine that fruits resemeble grapes. We're setting up a 70' x 110' vegetable and fruit tree gardent out in one of the meadows. It's going to be very apparent that we're up here doing other stuff than growing and trashing the mountain. Plus we're working on finding a chill lawyer, just in case they do cruise by. If we hand them a lawyers card, they won't even bother.. there are so many other people up here blatantly breaking the law that don't have any legal back up... we wouldn't be worth the trouble to this broke county. I'm really not too concerned, just want to have all my bases covered before I commit fully.

Nice... glad to hear about your gardens. It helps when folks see a lot of flowers, fruits and veggies....that's a full time job right there!! My wife would LOVE to have 33 fruit trees....

I saw hard pan in the pics and thought of a big giant fallow field of clay... that's what they look like here on the east coast after they grow corn in it for 20 years in a row... and use GMO corn with <spit> roundup.. the soil (not really soil) is completely useless.

Nice... glad to hear about your gardens. It helps when folks see a lot of flowers, fruits and veggies....that's a full time job right there!! My wife would LOVE to have 33 fruit trees....

I saw hard pan in the pics and thought of a big giant fallow field of clay... that's what they look like here on the east coast after they grow corn in it for 20 years in a row... and use GMO corn with <spit> roundup.. the soil (not really soil) is completely useless.

It is a full time job, definitely. Watering everything takes 5 hours or so, then weeding... I absolutely love it, though it's hard work, it's good for me. Ahh gmo, no good, round up is even worse... this clay is FULL of nutrient. I've been digging up earthworms for my savannah monitor lizard, and I've been noticing no matter where I dig I can pull out a couple hundred in a square meter. Stuff grows nicely in it once it's softened up a bit.

I would love to have that kind of land! Looks like a lot of fun - good luck with the grow!

Hey thanks Hydro Jay, I appreciate the kind words :)

Little bit of an update:

We renewed our medical cards! So more soil, more boxes and holes in the ground :) Also, I purchased a new pH meter. (I'm starting out with absolutely nothing from the past.. had to sell off everything after my business partner screwed me over) I had a very strong suspicion that the pH of the water out of the well was alkaline, glad I got a pH meter, it tested at 7.9! My goodness, that's high. Along with the pH meter, I grabbed some pH up and down, roots excellerator, and a few other necessities. Each plant was soaked this afternoon with roots excel and pH balanced water, until water leaked from the bottom of the box, to give the roots some water to chase out from the middle and help them get really established in there. The ladies I have in the pots are growing great, I'm excited to get those ones monstrous instead of keeping them in pots.

The potted ladies are growing nicely. The tallest are almost ready to go into the rock beds.. I have a strong feeling, that if these are already 3+ feet tall and veg season officially starts in june... I'm in for some trees. The jedi northern lights is growing so fast. All of these seedlings are the same age.
20170525_073917.jpg
20170525_073937.jpg
20170525_073946.jpg

You're gonna have a forest when it comes times to harvest lol

I can't wait... lol its been a dream of mine for over a decade to get up here and grow my monsters. I promised myself that I would be harvesting with a chainsaw this year. And damnit, I'm keeping that promise. It's been a couple years since I've been able to grow, so I'm basically making up for lost time ;)

I can't wait... lol its been a dream of mine for over a decade to get up here and grow my monsters. I promised myself that I would be harvesting with a chainsaw this year. And damnit, I'm keeping that promise. It's been a couple years since I've been able to grow, so I'm basically making up for lost time ;)

Not gonna lie, I'm excited to watch! *context* :rofl: and you gotta get some vid of you chopping with a chainsaw! I'm still amazed at how large these plants can get since I've seen mostly indoor plants.

These plants never cease to amaze me, indoors and out. I've grown a few outdoors before, but nothing like this. I'm planning on using most of my indoor nutrient recipe, too. So flowering should be very interesting...

Back
Top Bottom