Nu2grow

I finally made the decision to try my first grow. I have been on several tutorial sites to get basic instructions. I ordered 3 different strains of feminised seeds from an online seed bank My seeds arrived about 4 weeks later. One of the strains was missing from the package, after a few emails back and forth they are re-sending the missing seeds. :thumb: I ordered 3 Original Skunk #1 - 3 Northern Lights - 3 White Widow. The White Widow were the missing seeds. They also included some freebies 2 Critical Kush and 2 Amnesia X OG (couldn't find the amnesia on Leafly. I'm guessing that it is Amnesia Haze)

I germinated 3 of the seeds the evening they arrived 1 Skunk 1 Northern Lights and 1 Amnesia

on May 15th I put the seeds in Jiffy pellets and placed the pellets in 32oz plastic drink cups with drain holes punched in the bottom. I put a few small rocks in the bottom to help with drainage and filled the cups with Kellog Organic Potting Mix (from home depot)

The seedlings broke the surface 3 days later. so I guess they are 8 days old now.

Everyone looks pretty good with the exception of the Northern Lights. Her leaves are a little droopy. She has had the same care as the others. Any help would be greatly appreciated. (I chose Northern Lights specifically because I read that this strain is easier to grow)

I'll post the pics later tonight after I figure out how to do that :peacetwo:

you have chosen the coolest craft to learn.. I'm on my second grow and have learned from the first grow to never let light leak into the grow area during dark cycle and try using Botanicare's CalMag for calcium and magnesium supplements. if you're experiencing browning leaf tips edges go for a calcium magnesium supplement. I will follow your grow get those pics up! :D

How long were they in the Jiffy pellets before transplanting them to the cups? Reason I'm asking is because when I did my very first grow I put my germinated seeds directly into the grow medium and my plants didn't quite make it. But this time I used the Jiffy pellets and the greenhouse container and they took off. Left them in there for a week and a half maybe, misting them every other day, until the roots were coming thru before I transplanted.

Things to keep in mind; make sure not to overwater your plants, and don't fertilize for another 2-4 weeks or you could give severe nutrient burn and your plants could die.

Here is the skunk #1
420-magazine-mobile1465999309.jpg
420-magazine-mobile535892985.jpg

This is the amnesia haze
420-magazine-mobile1450677344.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1975628373.jpg

And here is northern lights.
420-magazine-mobile2039386559.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1251254860.jpg

Not sure why the northern started drooping a day or two ago. Anybody have an idea?

I also just realized there are fungus gnats coming from the potting mix. So I'll be returning that to home depot and hopefully getting something better. I don't think the roots are out of the starter pellets yet so I should be able to move them without too much trouble.

What type of growing medium do you plan on using when you transplant?

I would suggest coco coir, you can't over water them like soil, and you can control the feeding as the grow. What are you using for lighting? they don't need a lot for the first 1-2 weeks above the rooters, after that they will start to need more.

I was planning to use a good quality potting soil from Home Depot or Lowe's (trying not to spend too much$$$)
I have them under 4 24w LED standard screw in light bulbs... these are bright as hell! There is also a 45w LED Panel (not quite as bright as the bulbs.)

How long were they in the Jiffy pellets before transplanting them to the cups? Reason I'm asking is because when I did my very first grow I put my germinated seeds directly into the grow medium and my plants didn't quite make it. But this time I used the Jiffy pellets and the greenhouse container and they took off. Left them in there for a week and a half maybe, misting them every other day, until the roots were coming thru before I transplanted.

Things to keep in mind; make sure not to overwater your plants, and don't fertilize for another 2-4 weeks or you could give severe nutrient burn and your plants could die.

Actually I put the Jiffy Pellets into the cups before I put the seeds in and filled the soil up to around 1/4 inch from the top of the pellet. I used some water bottles with the bottom cut off to make a humidity dome. I removed the bottles after the seedlings broke the surface of the pellets. Humidity is not really a problem in my area. usually around 70% :thumb:

Can someone recommend a brand of soil to get locally from Home Depot or Lowes? I need to get my girls into some better soil before the gnats kill them.:thedoubletake:

you have chosen the coolest craft to learn.. I'm on my second grow and have learned from the first grow to never let light leak into the grow area during dark cycle and try using Botanicare's CalMag for calcium and magnesium supplements. if you're experiencing browning leaf tips edges go for a calcium magnesium supplement. I will follow your grow get those pics up! :D

:welcome:

Thanks for following! Hope I can get a decent harvest on my first grow!

To much water. Thats why they look droopy. I agree with pro. Let the soil dry out completely. Literally take your finger and put it in the soil up to your first nuckle if its damp wait another day or so. If dry then water just enough to wet the soil. Plants at this stage cant take in as much water as a bigger plant. There looking fine just lax on the water some. Im gonna sub to this journal. Good luck brother. We are here to help.

Just let the soil dry out about an inch down they will be fine. They like moist soil.

They were pretty dry before I watered them this morning. I'll probably hold off on water for 3 days or so. I don't want them to die from lack of water. It still feels like I got ripped off on the potting mix I bought. Can you suggest an AFFORDABLE potting soil I can buy locally?

To much water. Thats why they look droopy. I agree with pro. Let the soil dry out completely. Literally take your finger and put it in the soil up to your first nuckle if its damp wait another day or so. If dry then water just enough to wet the soil. Plants at this stage cant take in as much water as a bigger plant. There looking fine just lax on the water some. Im gonna sub to this journal. Good luck brother. We are here to help.

:thanks:

I'll try to let them dry out some more. I spent a good amount of $ for the few seeds that I ordered. I'd hate to loose one.

Im gonna say since you already have them started. Build your own soil. Take a bag of top soil, get some perlite, and throw some worm casting or guanno, if tou cant find guanno get some fish emulsions. You can buy these at lowes or home depot. Fish emulsions with have a npk value of .5-.5-.5. Which in this case will not burn the starts. But if you find guanno do not use fish emulsions or worm casting. As this could make the soil to hot. You can buy all this for under 25 bucks.

Then you take the chance of burning the plants.

Im currently doing a journal.on here myself, although this isnt my first grow, but i want better results so i came here. Your in the right spot to get answers.

Please check ph of water going in also. If you dont you will take the risk of getting nutriant block. At this ppint I wouldnt worry to much about , but you wanna get in the habit of being around 6.2 to 6.7 at the max. This will also help the ph levels of the soil. Your soil you picked will be fine just need to add a few things to it.

Please check ph of water going in also. If you dont you will take the risk of getting nutriant block. At this ppint I wouldnt worry to much about , but you wanna get in the habit of being around 6.2 to 6.7 at the max. This will also help the ph levels of the soil. Your soil you picked will be fine just need to add a few things to it.
Water ph is 6.8 right out of the tap. I have some ph up and down to use when I start using nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom