Mysterious As Batman - First Time Grower

Fab Ink

Everyone thinks Batman was mysterious, and he was often seen in plain sight...well this is my first grow and the seeds I am using are a mystery strain. I was on a road trip from Washington State and drove all the way to the East coast. During our travels, we stayed at a dear friends in Ohio for a night and I was given a bag of appx 100 seeds. For the remainder of the ride home, I found I had countless hours ahead of me, so I began my research.
Once I arrived to my home, the thoughts and research I began to put to work. I was going to be creating an environment where I could go to get away from the daily hustle and escape from the everyday stress from work.
I began ordering what I thought would make me a decent novice grower and wouldn't break the bank. Over the next few weeks, my purchases were becoming evident that I was going to do this, and you know what I may be successful if I pay attention and LISTEN. Upon arrival of my final purchase, my 4x4 grow tent, it had finally sunk in, "I am going to do this, I am going to learn how to do this, and I am going to seek the advice from anyone willing to share. I want to be good at this, NO, I WANT TO BE GREAT"!
This being said, I cleared an area of my basement, and began to create my escape. I set up my 4x4 tent, hung my 1500w led, plugged in a timer to control my light, readying my humidifier, dehumidifier and digital barometer, and hung a fan to move the air. The only thing missing was a plant!
The following day, I place 20 seeds on a paper towel, wetting it with tap water, placing it into a Ziploc bag, and placed it under a stack of t-shirts in my closet for a couple days. When I returned for the seeds, the had sprung from their shell. They were no longer dark brown, slightly stripped and spotted kernels, they were a new living breathing thing, that I created and was going to grow and nurture until I had to kill it, either because it was male, or for the simple fact...it was time...the right time...to die!

More tomorrow...getting late...will explain my situation and grow with pics.

Nice backstory, Ink!
I'm proud to be the first to subscribe to your journal!
I left you some pointers on adding a sig with link to this journal on your introduction thread.
Looking forward to following your grow! :high-five:

Good day to all.
So let me continue...

Now that I had so many germinated seeds, I purchased a cheap degrading planting kit, featuring a thin plastic base, 20 bio degradable square planters, and a thin 4 inch tall dome. I used traditional potting soil that I had left over from potting plants in the yard.
To this date, that was the silliest.and biggest waste of time. The seedlings began to grow, but under a small 35w LED grow light I purchased online. I guess it did the trick because I was seeing signs of life.
Soon after, the mini pots were apparently to small. I went to a large box store and purchased 3 inch planting cups. Here they would live for 2 weeks. I placed the seedlings into the pots and added just enough soil to support the main stem, as to leave room for growth (and just add more soil as needed.
During this process, I lost a few to, what I'm guessing is the stress of the transplant and possibly over watering. Over the next few days I had some odd growth. Some of the plants leaves were growing in a spiral direction. At this point the plants were moved into the grow tent and put under 1500w of LED light. They took off pretty well. I found myself back online ordering 8 inch, thin plastic pots and I found a deal on 3 gallon cloth root bags. The bags came in a bundle of ten. ($36.97)
It was once again time to transplant. I lightly watered the soil to help keep it compact and easier to transplant...well it didn't go so well...some of the root hairs were growing into the bio pots.
Upon completion of the transplant, I was down to 14 plants remaining. Two of the weekest looking plants made their way into the wild outdoors for mother nature to do her thing. Now twelve remain.
Continuing to research and gather information, I began to see many patterns involving nutrients, pH, and ppm. Once again found myself buying things I had to learn of. I now have Humboldt micro, grow, and bloom. I purchased a mid level pH meter, and like company ppm meter. Calmag and Fox farm soil are the current resting media.
The 4x4 grow tent was going to be all I would use but have recently decided, I was going to do a two tent cycle. I will be fostering the seedlings into veg in the 4x4 tent and once they mature and are topped, they will be moved into a 4x8 tent.
Right now the plants grow in soil.
The pH of my watering is 6.2-6.6
My heat is set at 68, but with the minor heat produced from the LED light, the text is between 72 and 77 degrees.
RH is appx 72-75%
I keep the mini dehumidifier running on a remote on/off sensor (just in case the humidifier supersedes the average tent RH)
I have been feeding the plants appx once a week seaweed extract and Cal mag. (I did have some yellowing of the leaves. Wasn't sure if it was over watering, a nutrient lock out, to much light of calcium deficiency)
The fan is a 6 inch clip on fan, just enough to move the air and aims towards the back wall.
I leave one of the upper side ports open to environment, as there won't be any light once the timer shuts off the light.
I have 1500w LED app 30 inches above the plants.
They get a squirt bottle splash twice a day. Once in the morning and once at night.

(I have not began feeding with micro, grow, bloom until I relocate into the 4x8 grow tent...needs to be set up)
Fan runs constant and light runs 18/6.
I am currently day 34.

I will continue later and I will be posting pics from the grow later.

NO FRONT...GROW YOUR OWN

Hi Fab, just a little tip for now. Instead of posting links to your gallery, try to include the pic directly to your post. People are more likely to view and respond.
Also, and I know it may seem like nitpicking, but you might also get more response if your signature looked like below.
How to do it? When you post the link, copy and paste the url that appears when you first go to your journal, not to the first new post. Then when editing your signature, use the link avator (on website, it looks like a blue ball with a little link at the bottom of it. And that's it ;)

It will look like this:

Click on it, it works :thumb:

Once again, thank you. I'm still trying to figure this site out. I appreciate all of your guidance.

No problem friend ;)
There is a bit of a learning curve, but you will find your way around.
It took me a while to when I first got here.
Keep us updated on the grow :thumb:

I'm having trouble simplifying my signature...it will only come up as http
If you copied the url, you just have to paste it over the "http" that shows in the box

ive tried on my phone, now on a computer...doesn't work. I open my blog. copy the url. open my settings. click on edit signature. click on the globe with the link. paste url over the highlighted http. I then click previev and it still dispalys as a web address...im more frustrated than growing the plant itself.
By blog, you mean your journal, right? The blog is a separate area.

Copy this:

And paste it in "edit signature". Not 100% sure it will work, but worth a try.
Remember, it's the link to your journal page that you want to add to the "http" if that copy and paste doesn't work.
You don't even have to type anything.
Good luck friend! :cheer:

Enough with signature issues...back to the grow.

Her is a simple pic of the a couple of the seeds after 24 hours.
IMG_20170422_100914983_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

I don't have any pics from the propigation set up. I did however use a heating mat to keep the seeds around 75°f.
Once the seeds made there way into the j-pots under the light, the began to reach for the light and dramatically changed.
IMG_20170506_155530310.jpg

I left them in the little pots for a short period of time the moved them into 3inch j-pots.
IMG_20170520_182818055_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170521_205637773.jpg

From there I moved them into 8 inch pots. My transplant was into FF SOIL.
IMG_20170529_142646566.jpg
IMG_20170601_202449674.jpg
IMG_20170601_202452810.jpg
IMG_20170601_202535292.jpg

This brings us up to speed with my story told so far. The next picture is a day or two old.
IMG_20170601_202650647.jpg

Tomorrow, I will be transplanting my mystery plants into 3 gallon root bags. Today was a busy day building the PVC stand for my 4x4 plant tray. I will post images and document daily from here on out. My next grow, I will drag everyone along from seed.

NO FRONT GROW YOUR OWN

Today is Sunday...so much to do.
I mentioned relocation of weaker plants to mother nature...the following pic was as basic as any seedling. It was really small in comparison...so it made its way to the planter for mother nature to do with as she please...check it out,
the base split immediately...I'll get more pics up later
IMG_20170603_154209272.jpg

Basically it looks healthy but odd, some nodules are (imagine a pie chart)1/4 from one another, not opposite.

My new 4x8 tent is officially set up. I placed it adjacent to my 4x4 tent.
IMG_20170604_093558902.jpg

Currently the 4x4 houses the plants in veg.(week 5) once I am done building my frame support for the 4x4 tray, I will be setting everything up in the 4x8 tent. Once things are in order, I will transplant from 8 inch pots to 3 gallon root bags (cloth).
IMG_20170604_093610080.jpg
IMG_20170604_093653574.jpg

I'll be back on later to show the progress of the watering setup and build.

I have completed my stand, glued it (to keep out water and bacterial from growing...plus added strength) I am painting it black (because, why not) and will be putting it to use shortly.
IMG_20170603_173617670.jpg
IMG_20170604_094122058.jpg
IMG_20170604_094139808.jpg

Notice on the bottom of the last two pics a recession. This is where I am placing a catch bin for run off. I am putting a ebb and flow drain to the catch, and inserting a small valve to shut off the drain if the catch bin becomes to full for emptying.

Back
Top Bottom