First Grow - AK-48 & Super Skunk Fem - Coco Coir & Perlite - 600W LED - Grow Tent

meumitsumgrow

-Hello, this is my very first grow. The seeds used were Super Skunk and AK-48 feminized. Both strains are Indica-dominant hybrids (approximately 65/35).
-Both plants are in the vegetative stage right now; the seeds were germinated around 5/13/2017 or 5/14/2017… I forgot to jot down the exact date at the time. The seeds were germinated in my grow tent using rapid rooting plugs, which were placed in solo cups that were about ¾ full of the coco coir/perlite mix. During germination and very early veg., the plants were kept about 30” from the 600W (245 actual draw) LED panel, and 24/0 lighting was used. I have since switched to 18/6 lighting. So, these plants are not quite month old yet.
-I’m growing indoors, using a 4x2x5 mylar grow tent. Using soilless medium of coco coir and perlite; I bought pre-mixed, did not make my own. I have a 6” inline duct fan for exhaust, but, I’m not using any ducting, the fan is fixed to the frame and running through one of the 6” drawstring vent holes at the top of the tent. I also have two clip-on mini fans inside the tent to help circulate the air. I moved the small plants from solo cups to 5 gallon smart (fabric) pots… next time I will transition from solo cups to 1 gallon and then maybe use 3 gallon for the final part of the grow, because going from the solo cup directly to a 5 gallon pot seemed to slow growth a bit, though the plants looked well enough. Still do, I think (and hope).
-The temperature inside the grow tent ranges from 75 to 83 degrees Fahrenheit, humidity ranges from 42% to 55%. On average, temp is about 78 degrees Fahrenheit and humidity is about 50%. I have not PHed the medium itself or any run off, I simply PH the water before each watering and it’s working out so far. For coco coir, I had to do a little research on PH and base on what I’ve read, it seems like PH range of 5.4-6.2 works, with 6.2 being on the high end. I have been keeping my water, with our without nutrients, at a PH of 5.7-5.9. So far, I have had no trouble with pests using this medium and this setup.
-I haven’t listed any brand names, because I’m unsure of how that works here. I’m using liquid nutrients, a 3-part set with the following values: 2-1-6, 5-0-1, 0-5-4. I’m also using a Calcium-Magnesium supplement, of which there are several well-known and recommended brands. During and just after germination, the little girls got only CalMag. Early, early vegging, I gave them a “seedling” strength dose of all nutrients plus the CalMag. From the get go, these have been bushy little plants. As of right now, I have yet to give my plants the manufacturer’s full strength recommended dose of nutrients; I’m following a schedule of sorts and right now I’m using about half of the recommended strength with what appear to be good results. For more information on my nutrient schedule, just ask me. ***Note: I do not give nutrients with every watering; every other watering is regular, PHed water with no nutrients.
-As of right now, the AK-48 plant is about 8-9” tall and 14-15” wide, and the Super Skunk is slightly taller at 10-11” but about the some width at 14-15”. Again, these plants are not quite a month old yet. Still vegging for a little while longer.
-Finally, I’ll stop babbling and get to the part of the journal that’s most exciting for us, the photos. Thanks for checking out my first grow. I appreciate any comments, criticisms, questions or just general conversation about this very fun process. Looking forward to hearing from you all!

-Stooby

**(AK-48 is on the left, Super Skunk on the right.)**

IMG_20170607_052808530.jpg

View image in gallery

*** These girls were FIMed about 1 week ago. Forgot to mention that. The Super Skunk has formed a nice pretty even canopy but the AK-48 still has a main stem that wants to be taller than the rest of the plant, so, just a few minutes ago, I used some soft coated gardening wire to bend (LST) the AK-48 main stem over just a bit.

Re: First grow - AK-48 and Super Skunk (fem) in Coco Coir + Perlite, 600W LED - grow

Quick note: I will be adding a second LED to the grow tent very soon. It will be a 450W LED panel (about 190W actual draw) to help the girls have a good flowering. I'll update photos once I give the plants time to respond to the additional light, which hopefully won't be long.

Re: First grow - AK-48 and Super Skunk (fem) in Coco Coir + Perlite, 600W LED - grow

Thanks, Nizzly! I just checked out you grow with Gs-400W from Mars... good stuff, buddy!! I very nearly got a Mars panel myself, but, this one is doing OK by me so far in veg. Like I said up above, though, I will have another 450W LED panel to supplement the 600W during flowering, I think it's a safe bet that the ladies will like this. We shall see!

Re: First Grow - AK-48 & Super Skunk Fem In Coco Coir & Perlite - 600W LED - Grow Ten

Heyyy Joe! Thanks man! I checked out your completed grow as well as the more recent on with the photo and auto plants. Loved reading through your first grow, that was some good work!

Re: First Grow - AK-48 & Super Skunk Fem In Coco Coir & Perlite - 600W LED - Grow Ten

Hey everybody. So, I've got a few questions that I 'm pretty sure you guys will knock out of the park here.

1) Since I'm using a tent that's only 60" (5 ft.) tall, I was thinking that I shouldn't let these ladies veg past about 16-18" tall. I did FIM each plant and will be using LST to keep them in check. Does that sound about right on the height to let them reach in veg?

2) We're having a muggy stretch this summer, so, humidity in the tent has been reading higher on the average (for about week) at about 53%, and it has gotten as high as 58% (today, actually). The air circulation within the tent seems good, definitely haven't seen any mold or mildew. Should I be concerned about the humidity, or am I okay as long the air flow is good?

So, here are a few more photos. After adding the second LED this morning, temperature in the tent is up to about 82 Fahrenheit when the lights are running (18/6). I have the panels about 26" from the tops of the plants. Let me know if you all think I need to make some adjustments here
Thanks! (Pictures coming in another post)

So, here are a few more photos. After adding the second LED this morning, temperature in the tent is up to about 82 Fahrenheit when the lights are running (18/6). I have the panels about 26" from the tops of the plants. Let me know if you all think I need to make some adjustments here
Thanks! (Pictures coming in another post)
420-magazine-mobile210516445.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1534203029.jpg
420-magazine-mobile139594827.jpg

Also that little white box hanging there is a thermo/hygro sensor. I hung it this way so I could get a reading from near the tops of the plants. I'm noticing that despite being lower wattage, this 2nd LED panel seems to generate a little more heat that the other. Maybe the other is just better construction? Better fans? Not sure, I'll keep me eyes on it though.

Hey meumit so I will try to answer some questions for you, and if anyone else would like to chime in that's cool too. As for your first question your sounding about right vegging to 18" you may be able to go a C hair higher as your limited to the 5ft height. you'll be able to tell as more time passes, Just do some lst like you said and you'll be fine. Your temps and humidity are actually good. I run about the same temps my max high is 81-82 degrees and a sleep time temp of 74, I wouldnt let the temp go any higher than 82 tho, with good air circulation like you said you have you should be fine your humidity is ok for now while you veg, for flower it may be A little high. It is for me anyways I try to run a constant happy medium of 50RH throughout veg and bloom it seems to work great as clones and seedlings like a high rh but also running a 50 in flower you won't have to worry about mold or bud rot hope that helps my man

Thanks Johnny. I'm thinking like you said I might need to bring that humidity down a notch or three when I flip to 11/13. You think I'll have to get a dehumidifier, or would maybe a 2nd duct fan for intake work? Or maybe I'm worrying too much. lol.

*Update as well: after 1 day of having the 2nd LED panel on the ladies, I definitely notice a response. Gonna give the girls a few more days and I'll add some photos. Cheers!

Depends how muggy it gets where you live. first I would try opening one of your vents but also Making sure no light can leak in that vent when lights are out this will cause more fresh air in For better air circulation as well

Well it's hanging around 53-54 RH. Today is kinda muggy but not the worst. I have yet to see RH hit 60. I'll open the top vent opposite the exhaust. If I can keep it at 50-55 through flowering, I'm hoping I'll be okay. Thanks for the quick advice Johnny. Much much love buddy

Quick update. I looked the plants over, decided it was time to give them a round of low stress training. Based on how they're growing, I'll probably be flipping to flower in a week or less. Also super cropped one stem that was getting long on me... Which actually began as an attempt to lst but I gripped the stem too tight and it gave a little, so, I gently finished the job. lol.
420-magazine-mobile415994075.jpg
420-magazine-mobile80741384.jpg
420-magazine-mobile112885577.jpg

**Quick update in writing, photos coming tomorrow**

So, yesterday I was looking the ladies over , definitely seeing the right kind of bends from the LST and the plants continue be very bush-shaped. I had a moment of sadness when I noticed about 4 or 5 white leaf tips, along with 2 leaves very, very low on each plant showing some yellowing. I did some reading and did my best to diagnose the problems, decided it was likely a PH issue and a nutrient issue given the very bushy growth and the little bit of bending I've done. So, I waited a half day and the girls looked thirsty enough. Mixed up my scheduled brew of nutes, which is very convenient as it 1/2 tsp of everything (for now). :) Like I said earlier in the journal, I have been PHing water (with and without nutes) to about 5.8. I decided to go a little further down and stick with 5.5. Girls are due another watering tomorrow, but I can see improvement in the formerly white tipped leaves... most have greened up and look fine, with only a few lingering white tips. And I still only see the original 1-2 very very low leaves on each plant looking yellow and now drying a bit. Nothing seems to be spreading. Hoping I guessed right on the issues.

I'm wondering about my flowering in a few ways, and the main one is my nutrients. Is it alright to clarify what brand and set of nutes I'm using, that way folks can offer advice to me on what I might need to supplement my current schedule with other stuff during flowering? I posted the NPKs up above, which might be enough for some folks to go on. Just wondering. :)

Back
Top Bottom