Outdoor Scandinavia

Dali

Hello,

My first post here and my first time growing ladies.

Living up in Scandinavia with long dark winters and short summers with a lot of daylight.

The problems are many, but I have to give it a try. I guess I am not the only one growing in a northern climate?

Ordered some seeds from Nirvana last week and got them on friday. Went out with bicycle on Sunday to the place I spotted in Google Earth and it looked lovely. Also got some nice wildlife sights during my work. (Moose, Raw and Hawk) Less pleasant visitors in mosquitos and ticks!

However...

My line up is as follows:

3 Kaya Gold Feminized
3 Blue Mystic Auto
3 Jock Horror Auto
1 White Widow (Got it for free)

I digged small holes, filled them with some dirt for herbs and put the seeds right in. Finished with some water and a plastic transparent mug with ventilation holes on top. (Will serve as a small greenhouse until plants are some 10-15 cm tall)

I will try to visit my ladies once a week. Here are some pics of the spots.

420-magazine-mobile332600193.jpg
420-magazine-mobile957726773.jpg
420-magazine-mobile445163254.jpg
420-magazine-mobile926800110.jpg
420-magazine-mobile488165414.jpg
420-magazine-mobile538008922.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1715901520.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1417365828.jpg
420-magazine-mobile867760796.jpg

Below you can see expected daylight hours for the ladies.

June
18:26 to 18:27

July
18:25 to 16:42

August
16:37 to 14:07

September
14:02 to 11:31

October
11:25 to 08:50

Looking at this I guess the KG:s will start their flowering period in mid September. Hopefully they will be ready for harvest in mid to late October.

It will be a run against the clock. Next year I will start a couple of weeks earlier so the plants get some extra weeks in vegetative stage.

Looking forward to pay my ladies a visit coming weekend. Hopefully some of them have been able to break through the earth.

I also plan to fix some kind of metallic net to protect the small ladies from hungry animals until they have grown in size.

Holding thumbs!

When it comes to the autos (Blue Mystic and Jock Horror) I hope they will be ready for harvest in mid September.

The bonus White Widow is a real outsider. I don't expect her (or he) to fix it through the whole period, but you never know?

10 seeds in the soil and I will be happy if 40-50% survive all the way to harvest.

Went out to see my ladies today and how they are doing after 6 days in the soil.

Remember I put the seeds right in the soil without any pre growing inside.

KG1: Up from soil, tiny but alive
KG2: Up from soil, tiny but alive
KG3: Up from soil, tiny, pale but alive
BM1: No signs
BM2: Up from soil, tiny but looks good
BM3: No signs
JH1: No signs
JH2: No signs
JH3: Up from soil, tiny but alive
WW1: No signs

50% of the seeds have seen daylight. I still have some hope the others might catch up. Well, White Widow is probably screwed, but you never know.

All plants got some more water before I had to leave back home.

Here are some pics...

420-magazine-mobile280288199.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1967923577.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1733842372.jpg

420-magazine-mobile875492222.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1334775801.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1180076951.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1922728865.jpg

Looking forward to next weekend. This is really fun!

Short update before sleep.

I just put two seeds in a pot in my balcony. One Blue Mystic Auto Fem and one Jock Horror Auto Fem.

My plan for these two ladies is to grow them 5-10 cm tall and then plant them out in the forest.

I do this because I want to see what tactic works best and to have a little bit more control over two autos than the ones out in the forest.

The seeds are planted in a pot with special soil for herbs. I think it will do good.

Next visit to the forest will probably be on friday. My plan is to get some net around the tiny ladies to protect them from mooses and Bambis. I might also save some egg shells to spread around the spots. I have some mint seeds, maybe I will plant these as well. I read those guys keep rodents away and I know they grow pretty quick.

Sleep tight!

As another one growing far north, I can tell you right away the photos are gonna struggle. If you get them to harvest I shall salute you. The auto's however. They have a fair chance. Was planning to put out auto's myself this year but so far it's been too cold. Now they may have a chance.

Below you can see expected daylight hours for the ladies.

June
18:26 to 18:27

July
18:25 to 16:42

August
16:37 to 14:07

September
14:02 to 11:31

October
11:25 to 08:50

Looking at this I guess the KG:s will start their flowering period in mid September. Hopefully they will be ready for harvest in mid to late October.

It will be a run against the clock. Next year I will start a couple of weeks earlier so the plants get some extra weeks in vegetative stage.

Looking forward to pay my ladies a visit coming weekend. Hopefully some of them have been able to break through the earth.

I also plan to fix some kind of metallic net to protect the small ladies from hungry animals until they have grown in size.

Holding thumbs!

You can force them to flower earlier by wrapping them in dark plastic for 12 hours every day. It's an alternate route that lets you finish before the frost kill off the plants

Does anyone have experience from drying buds outside?

I will not be able to dry at home, so I have to build a hidden shelter in the forest for this purpose.

My first option is to build something under a fir (x-mas tree) in a hard to reach place in the forest. I don't want casual blueberry and mushroom hunters to discover it.

Option two is to build a bigger birdhouse and put it up in an old fir and use it for drying/storage.

I will probably have 2-3 drying locations to reduce risk.

I might take an extra stroll in the forest this weekend to mark up some potential good spots.

Hi, Dali

This is what i'm busy experimenting with re protecting the young ones:
420-magazine-mobile906621038.jpg

Stuck some cardboard tubes around the babies.
420-magazine-mobile38398233.jpg

Same bed, same strain, same age.
Ones with the tubes look better, right? It's super low tech, but outside in winter (here) it actually works. Plus it doesn't really draw as much attention as a fancy expensive net would... idk, just an idea that's worked for me

Hi, Dali

This is what i'm busy experimenting with re protecting the young ones:
420-magazine-mobile906621038.jpg

Stuck some cardboard tubes around the babies.
420-magazine-mobile38398233.jpg

Same bed, same strain, same age.
Ones with the tubes look better, right? It's super low tech, but outside in winter (here) it actually works. Plus it doesn't really draw as much attention as a fancy expensive net would... idk, just an idea that's worked for me .

Not a bad idea you have there. I will take it in consideration when/if my ladies grow in size.

Yours look really good, what strain? How old?

Do you grow in your garden or out where the trolls and gnomes live?

Thanks, Dali.
Honestly, i don't know exactly what i'm growing. It could be any one of about 5 strains locally available, but it is an African Landrace and definitely a pure sativa.
These babies are about 4 weeks old, born in the middle of a winter frost.
I am lucky enough to grow in my own garden. I have the space, and I grow lots of herbs and vegetables for my business (catering). My neighbours are used to seeing me work out there, and used to seeing strange and interesting plants here. They don't pay attention any more . I wish i could grow where the trolls and gnomes live... *sigh*. I would offer them 1/2 of my crop if they chased all the blueberry hunters away....

Thanks, Dali.
Honestly, i don't know exactly what i'm growing. It could be any one of about 5 strains locally available, but it is an African Landrace and definitely a pure sativa.
These babies are about 4 weeks old, born in the middle of a winter frost.
I am lucky enough to grow in my own garden. I have the space, and I grow lots of herbs and vegetables for my business (catering). My neighbours are used to seeing me work out there, and used to seeing strange and interesting plants here. They don't pay attention any more .. I wish i could grow where the trolls and gnomes live... *sigh*. I would offer them 1/2 of my crop if they chased all the blueberry hunters away.....

Winter frost four weeks ago? Seems like you also live up north?

What experiences do you have from growing outdoors? Could be interesting to know since we might share the same climate.

Must be comfortable to be able to grow in the garden. I grow ordinary herbs at my balcony. Safe play. :)

I hope my ladies look like yours after 4 weeks!

Hi, Dali. I don't live up North, I'm in the southern hemisphere, sorry . Our winter climate is about the same as your summer climate, looking at your weather charts ( i love that you add those, it makes it so much easier to follow for someone who doesn't live where you do). MMJ is being legalised where i am, but we're not there yet. I am very lucky in that my whole family knows what i'm doing, and they support my efforts.
I spent a long time building a garden that nourishes and protects itself - lots of different herbs help to keep the pests away and, because i'm out there so much of the time, i am on top of any problems immediately. I imagine that it's different for you, having to grow where the goblins live.
When i first started out, i learned about companion planting, which is where you plant different types of plants together in order to keep pests away. Marigolds are great - bugs (and my dogs) think they are stinky, so they ignore the yummy veggies planted close by. I really don't like pesticides, so this worked great for me.
If you're worried about deer eating your girls, maybe look for types of plants that deer don't like? Plant a few close to the ladies?
Remember, people tend to live in their own heads, and they rarely notice things in the world around them. If you plant a few tall plants that screen your babies, and that grow wild in those forests of yours, your crop will probably be left alone (by humans, not sure about the gnomes...)
Good luck, i'm anxiously waiting to see more photos!
✌&❤

Hi, Dali. I don't live up North, I'm in the southern hemisphere, sorry .. Our winter climate is about the same as your summer climate, looking at your weather charts ( i love that you add those, it makes it so much easier to follow for someone who doesn't live where you do). MMJ is being legalised where i am, but we're not there yet. I am very lucky in that my whole family knows what i'm doing, and they support my efforts.
I spent a long time building a garden that nourishes and protects itself - lots of different herbs help to keep the pests away and, because i'm out there so much of the time, i am on top of any problems immediately. I imagine that it's different for you, having to grow where the goblins live.
When i first started out, i learned about companion planting, which is where you plant different types of plants together in order to keep pests away. Marigolds are great - bugs (and my dogs) think they are stinky, so they ignore the yummy veggies planted close by. I really don't like pesticides, so this worked great for me.
If you're worried about deer eating your girls, maybe look for types of plants that deer don't like? Plant a few close to the ladies? .
Remember, people tend to live in their own heads, and they rarely notice things in the world around them. If you plant a few tall plants that screen your babies, and that grow wild in those forests of yours, your crop will probably be left alone (by humans, not sure about the gnomes....)
Good luck, i'm anxiously waiting to see more photos!
.&.

Nice for you to be able to grow during winter, here it is impossible unless there is a strain that enjoys snow.

I am not a heavy user, but I am fond of seeing things grow and this is a fun experiment. I only use natural things and will not experiment with pesticides. I will try plant some mint from my balcony, it grows easy and and has a strong fresh flavour.

I planted some of my seeds in a small sloped clear cut area where it grows a lot of bracken. I think those will serve as a perfect camouflage.

I really hope some more of the autos has popped through ground when I do my next visit. After all they got (in my view) the best spots.

A good thing going stealth in a forest is you get in shape, haha. Good work out to bicycle and then walking around under the trees.

Back
Top Bottom