Dinsdale's Perpetual Grow - Exotic Thai - Flo - NYC Diesel & More

Dinsdale

Hello everybody!
Here's a quick introduction. I'm a home grower since December and I learned a lot on this forum. I don't really care about yield, because I vape about 5g per month and I harvested about 50g in April (my first ever indoor grow). So even with low yields, I still harvest more than I need and I pretty much grow for fun at this point. It's an addictive hobby, that's for sure. :)

Without further ado, here's my current setup:

Flowering tent:
  • 3x3x6
  • 125W Cree COBs full spectrum
  • 11 hours on, 13 hours off
  • Soil: Biobizz Light Mix
  • Organic nutrient: NPK 2-7-4
  • Strains (from clones):
    • 1 x New York City Diesel (already harvested)
    • 1 x Flo
    • 1 x Motavation x Headband
    • 1 x Headband x T-Master
    • 1 x Unidentified CBD strain (1:1 ratio)

These plants are from clones. It's my second indoor grow ever, first time with clones (first grow was from bagseeds). I started them in the 2x2 tent, before I got the 3x3. Since the 2x2 tent is only 4' high, I used the ScrOG technique to keep them as low as possible, in 2 gal pots. That's why their quite small in the tent. Also they had a severe case of nute burn and a mild case of thrips just after 11/13 flip (successfully treated with pyrethrum) which stunted their growth. The NYCD, the Flo and the CBD strain had a particularly rough time: transplant shock just before 11/13 flip, so their growth was even more severely stunted, which sucks because NYCD and Flo are two of my favorite strains ever. So I kept them anyway just to get a few grams of buds, and I took a few cuttings around day 18 of flowering in order to save the genetics and try again in the next run. Those "monstercropping" clones are now in the veg tent (see below).
All in all, this run was pretty bad. Those crippled plants are now at day 59 and I expect less than 15 grams, but like I said, that's not really a problem for me.

Veg tent:
  • 2x2x4
  • 45W LED bulb + 25W CFL
  • 24 hours on
  • Soil: Biobizz Light Mix
  • Organic nutrient: NPK 4-3-6
  • Strains :
    • 2 x Exotic Thai (from seed)
    • 1 x New York City Diesel (monstercropping)
    • 3 x Flo (monstercropping)
    • 3 x Unidentified CBD strain (monstercropping)
    • (+ Cayenne pepper, Lemon Chili pepper, Patio Cherry tomato, garlic)

The two Exotic Thai are from feminized seeds and they're at day 28 since germination (paper towel method), in 1 gal pots. The seven other plants are monstercropped. I never cloned before, so it was quite an experiment for me: first cloning and first monstercrooping at the same time. Like I said above, I took the cutting around day 18 of flowering. I used rockwool cubes as well as Root Riots, cloning gel and a humidity dome. They all rooted successfully in less than 12 days (the Root Riots ones rooted a bit faster) and reverted to vegetative growth about 14 days later. They're now at day 38 and they're starting to grow fast now, except the NYCD which was the smallest cutting (1 inch long).

My plan is to wait for the current flowering run to end and to flower the monstercropped clones next. Before that, I'll just take a NYCD clone and a Flo clone, in order to keep a total of four mother plants: the two Exotic Thai, one NYCD and one Flo. I will choose which Exotic Thai plant I'll keep as a mother when I finally flower some clones from them (after the monstecropping run).

There you have it. I hope I didn't forget any relevant information. I feel it's gonna be a bit chaotic until I find the right rythm for perpetual grow. In the meantime, I'm sure I will have a lot of questions for you!

Thank you for your attention! :Namaste:

---------------------------------------------------

The 2x2 veg tent
CIMG8686.JPG

The 3x3 flower tent
CIMG8687.JPG

PS: What's the preferred way to post photos? Original size like this or thumbnails?

re: Dinsdale's Perpetual Grow - Exotic Thai - Flo - NYC Diesel & More

Now here's my first question: I'm starting to have heat problems in my flowering tent, because the outside temps are high and my lights are on during the day (from 1pm to midnight). I know, it's dumb, I didn't think this through when I started this run. So I need to offset the pattern and have the lights on from 10pm to 9am.

Can I do that without stressing the plants too much? Should I turn the lights off at midnight and then turn them back on at 10pm the next day and start the new pattern (which means 22 hours of darkness that day) or should I do the transition over the course of several days (turn the lights on at 3pm instead of 1pm, then at 5pm the next day, then at 7pm the next day, then 10pm the next day)?

I hope my question makes sense!

Here's a few more pics fro the 2x2 veg tent.
(If you see anything that looks wrong, please tell me!)

Exotic Thai is a cross between a Thai sativa and New York City Diesel, from Exotic Seeds in Spain.
29 days from seed, topped 7 days ago.
She's very symetrical, with nice new growth.

CIMG8691.JPG

CIMG8692.JPG

Unidentified CBD strain, 39 days from cutting.
Very messy growth with weird leaves and a lot of branching due to monstercropping. No need to top this one! :laughtwo:
CIMG86931.JPG

I transplanted three more clones (two Flo and one CBD strain) into 2 and 3 liter pots.
The last CBD and the NYCD are still a bit small, so there's staying in solo cups for a few more days.

CIMG8696.JPG

Here's a close-up of the weird transitional leaves growing before the monstercropped clone reverts completely to vegetative growth.

CIMG8704.JPG

Hey man! Good looking journal!
I'm totally the same, I produce more than I vape so after my grow I'm going to stop for a while to go through my 100g+ stash :)
I also grow because it's so much fun and it became a main hobby. I tend to focus on yield a bit too much but that's also part of the fun ;)

Here's a small update after two days away from home. Everything's okay, the plants didn't stop growing while I was away. :laughtwo:

The Flo clones are now in full vegetative mode. The new growth is healthy and developing fast. I guess I'll let them veg untopped and untrained for two or three more weeks before putting them in the flower tent to start the next round.

CIMG8708.JPG

The NYCD clone is slowly reverting to vegetative growth, with two new tiny branches and tiny leaves. This one was really a long shot: It was a 1-inch cutting taken on a severely stunted flowering plant. But it looks like she pulled through! I'll let her grow stronger and I think I'll be able to take some cuttings in a few weeks. :slide:

CIMG8707.JPG

The two topped Exotic Thai mother plants from seed are doing well. Here are the two nice growth tips I'll cut in a week or so in order to get clones (Root Riot cubes + cloning gel + humidity dome). I plan on taking two clones per plant, so four clones total that I'll put in flowering four or five weeks later.

CIMG8705.JPG

:Namaste:

All looks good according to your plan, keep up the good work :thumb:

Thanks! Yeah, I think it's going pretty well so far.

In yesterday's update, I didn't talk about the unidentified CBD strain clones (day 46 from cutting). They grow mostly normal leaves now but they still show some weird looking leaves here and there, like this:

CIMG8715.JPG

Also, I didn't show my veg lights yet. So here they are. Just some regular household 15W LED bulbs and one 25W CFL bulb. It's not much but it seems to do the job. The Exotic Thai didn't stretch at all when they were seedlings and they stayed very compact (the bulbs were just lower at that stage). I like the fact that it's modular and cheap: I can temporarily turn one or two bulbs off if the temps get too hot, I can easily add one or two more if needed and I can easily replace one if it dies. So far, it works for me.

CIMG8718.JPG

And here's a family picture of the veg tent.

CIMG8717.JPG

Those are some weird ass looking leaves, they should correct themselves soon enough :)
Hey if you can keep your electric bill down and grow at the same time, why not? Keep doing what you're doing mate :thumb:
I might add that your plants look like they need some magnesium, looking a bit yellow between the veins.

I might add that your plants look like they need some magnesium, looking a bit yellow between the veins.

You're absolutely right. I gave them almost no nutrients so far. I had severe nute burn in my last grow, so I'm very wary this time around. Maybe too wary... :laughtwo:

Subbed and watching i have a problemed chiesel that i decided to take clones from but they didnt pull through

Welcome Jfault20! Make yourself comfortable!

I guess I had a bit of luck with my clones, because it was my first try ever and they all rooted quite fast. Did you take cuttings from a flowering plant too?

Welcome Jfault20! Make yourself comfortable!

I guess I had a bit of luck with my clones, because it was my first try ever and they all rooted quite fast. Did you take cuttings from a flowering plant too?
I had a lot of luck cloning before using simpler methods but for some reason my germinating/cloner hasnt worked for me. Im just going to start a new seed. When i initially started cloning i was just using two cups and soil worked 100%. I even left a clipping in some water under a light on accident and it grew roots

Gonna follow along, I'm always amazed by what just a few cfl and household led's can produce, also interested in the monster-cropping was just reading about that (taking clones from 3 weeks or so into flower right?), seems the way to go especially if perpetual setup like yours.

Gonna follow along, I'm always amazed by what just a few cfl and household led's can produce, also interested in the monster-cropping was just reading about that (taking clones from 3 weeks or so into flower right?), seems the way to go especially if perpetual setup like yours.

Welcome knighthawktfc!

Yes, I took those clones around day 18 of flowering, but it seems you can do it pretty much until harvest (it's gonna take longer to root and to re-veg though). I don't know if I would do it all the time (I think I'd rather take clones just before flowering), but it works if you're patient enough and it's a great way to save genetics if something went wrong after flowering has begun (that's why I did it).

Back
Top Bottom