Small Backyard Garden With Various Strains & Methods & More

Boatshoe

Hi and warm regards to everyone.

I am starting this journal to share some of my ongoing growing projects this season. There's about a dozen plants mostly in ground but also some container and a pretty indoor white widow auto that's in week 11.

I have been growing for only a few years but got more serious this year. This website has provided so much helpful information, and kudos to the mods too!

This thread will include everything I'm growing and it's a mix but there are some interesting things. Our weather is finicky and I am still learning some basics so I tried a few things. Plus variety adds spice. Please feel free to comment or suggest.

Of course it's summer and this garden is underway for sometime. I'll post some pictures. Currently I have 2 indoors, 8 outdoor in ground, and 2 outdoor pots.

White widow week 11 LED

Here are my two white widow auto under 350kW LED + 2x75W CFL soilless. I started the seeds on 4/20 so this is the 11th week. This is my first tent grow and first WW. It seems to be very close to ready but is still getting new clear hairs. There's more red on the WW than I expected. I've been decreasing the light duration and stopped nutes. These plants vegged for six weeks and are in their fifth week of flower.

White widow week 11 LED

Here is another shot of the WWAF, day 73. You can see how rapidly the fan leaves are going. Using three gallon pots and pipe cleaners for training after drilling holes around the rim. These are due within a week I would say. Some of the top nugs are looking ripe and I may need to harvest them first separately. I haven't tried that before but I heard it is a good technique. I'll post some close ups of the trichs in a few days.the buds have a very pleasant woodsy aroma with a hint of vanilla, maybe.

IMG_007886.JPG

White widow AF outdoors

This thread is titled backyard, so let's start looking at what's there. First here are two more white widow autos from the same batch as the indoors but germinated later.
The plant in the ground is in its 5 the week and was fimmed lightly last week. It slowed vertical growth but the new shoots are becoming defined. If these flower at the end of week 6 it still has a couple weeks of pure veg growth so I hope topping it works out. It has grow some nice looking under leaves.
The plant in the 5 gallon is 3 weeks old (I think). It may end up a little stunted because we had record heat the day after sprouting and I let it get overheated. It had some leaf browning and looked a bit shocked. I had planted another ww but lost it that day. Bad on me but the heat got to me too and it only took a few hours. It's growing now tho.
It will be interesting to compare the yields and other qualities of the indoor, outdoor pot, and outdoor ground plants..

The five gallon pot is 10 inches, so the larger plant is about 19 inches tall, about 50cm.

Here is some detail of where I pinched the tip. I usually read cautions against this for autos. We'll see.

My outdoor plants Main patch

The bulk of my plants are clones from the dispensary planted in ground in the spring. There are seven plants of three different strains that were planted different dates. They are getting to be about four feet tall and I have started training them. They are a bit crowded but I can't let them get too gigantic in any case.
There are 2 chem dog, two tangie, and three fire og. The chem and tangie were planted in the first week of April and immediately went into flower.the chem dog went back into veg and got super bushy. The tangie took until a couple weeks ago to start growing again and are stunted but since it is still July they have some time.
And I also have 3 fire og that I planted in may, so they did not prematurely flower. These are very robust and are eagerly preflowering. Maybe too eager.
I'll share some more detail of each one but here is the overall group...

The small one in front is tangie, above left are chem dog, there's another little tangie at the top, then there are three fire og.

Same plants from opposite corner, so chemdog is on the right, the fire on the left, and the tangie. You can see I am starting to train these out a bit, so all the bamboo stakes are a bit distracting.

The same angle as the first shot, a little more clear.

re: Small Backyard Garden With Various Strains & Methods & More

Thanks for the looks, guys. And yes this has been a fragrant grow already because as I said the clones I planted early flowered and took a couple months. They are all redolent strains, chem dog and it's family, and well named, they really reek like a dog that's been rolling in kerosene (in the best possible way :)

Here is what the tangie looked like about a month ago, still stuck in early flower. It had been in the ground for almost two months. I rooted them then planted in early April.

And here's the chem dog, which vegged a month earlier but still had a lot of terpene flower aroma until I finally trimmed it off. You can see the bizarre reveg transition forms. This picture is from about a month ago.

This should be a wonderfully aromatic grow. Fortunately this is legal where I live and I have supportive neighbors so I need to be discrete but not too secretive. Knock on wood.

A few things to attend to today. Some yellowing on the leaves, some is just fertilizer but some looks like fungus.
Also a few little bugs.

So today, first some bat guano for nitrogen and it is a fungicide also.
Then some pruning to improve air circulation and reduce the leaf crowding.
And I ordered some organic fungicide bacteria based and some insecticide soap, which I was out of.
I also cleaned up a number of nearby plants in the garden and sprayed some neem on some other plants that have mildew showing up.

I don't like to use neem on the mmj, even just the leaves during preflower, unless its desperate. We have a lot of fungus problems here due to the cool summer, lots of clouds, and fog. I treat the soil in the winter with sulphur but I don't use copper to avoid toxic buildup.

Here are some yellow leaves that just seems like the plant wants more nitrogen

This, however, looks like a problem, that I think is leaf septoria, a fungus.

And then there's these little buggers, two stink bugs doing the nasty on my plants. And where there's two, you know Plus some little things that could be thrips or something, I don't know.

Here's what was under all that luff that was left over from premature flowering. This looks like a decent shape, I've not had a big bushy reveg before. Pretty good main stem but thins out pretty quick. I crimped some stems to encourage thickening.
Removed all the leaves with spots, there were about 25. Left the leaves with yellow tips and edges. Side dressed with 8-3-1 guano last night plus the usual fish fertilizer 5-1-1 at 1 Tbsp/gal. In a few days it will be clear if the leaf side yellowing is nitro or something else. The chem dogs have a lighter load without all that extra foliage so that should help too.
Aall the plants got fed and they'r already greening up.
The fire og have started to flower so they got a half feeding. They will need bloom ferts next time.

Meanwhile back inside I've been on trichome watch as my white widows finish up. It looks like the smaller is ready, so Now's The Time.
I love the idea of starting the seeds on 420 and harvesting on Independence Day. There are 75 days between April 20 and July 4. This are my first indoors grown plants so I am happy with them.

Here they are, first time they have ever been outside. The smaller one on the left is ready. The bigger one still has developing trichome.

Here they are next to the outdoor version, that is six weeks later just for comparison. All are from nirvana seeds.

after a quick trim here is what the little one looks like underneath

I'll let it rest for bit then trim the buds off. The big one goes back in the tent for some days.

By the way here's an awesome cone joint roller I got for the holiday.

Here's the buds from the smaller WW after a little trim and ready to dry then cure. This was my first indoor grow and it looks ok to me. Plus there is a larger plant still finishing flowering.

There's the top, now what about the bottoms. Here's the rootball.

I will use a bigger pot next time, those roots look crowded. These were 3 g. Ihave some 5g fabric bags that I am trying out, I may use those.

the little indoor experiment is wrapping up, let's look outdoors.
Here's the white widow AF
The larger one is 5 or 6 weeks, the potted is 3 or 4. The indoor plants were definitely showing preflower at 6 weeks.

Here they are next to fire og.

I have been spraying with Serenade to avoid fungal problems and I think I let it pool and got a little foliar damage. I've checked for insects and the only thing I could find was a cucumber beetle. I will trim off those big fan leaves today in any case, they aren't useful and are shading the plant.

Those brown botches are on the WW but no other plants so maybe they are more sensitive. If I had not topped the WW it would be much taller so I hope it makes up for that with bushiness.

Here is the other patch with the bigger plants. The little tangies, the big shaggy chem dogs and the ever eager fire og.

The tangie is picking up the pace after getting back to veg. It really turned around fast when it was ready.

Here is the Fire OG. This has been in preflower for weeks.

Everything is growing well, Here are some unhappy sights, these look under control.
Nthis edge leaf yellowing is still here but it hasn't gotten worse. Maybe it's some kind of heat or sun damage, or it could be related to the other yellow spots. It's isolated and doesn't seems to be worsening. It's only on the chemdog near the concrete.

Here is the yellow spots. I've been spraying with serenade and I'll start with compost tea next week. This is mostly confined to the one chemdog but the other has a few spots and maybe one on the tangie. The bacillus is supposed to help.

I gave it a good nitrogen feed last week and it made no difference better or worse as far as the yellow edges but sure greened things up. That should be the last nitrogen rich feed they need in any case. This week I am switching to balanced npk.

More fungal spots. I took a few dozen leaves out that had spots and the plants needed thinning out. Sprayed with potassium bicarbonate and i h haven't seen much spread. Going to foliar with compost tea tomorrow.

Critters
It's a jungle out there.

Here is a cucumber beetle, muching on the surface of the leaf. I find one of these every day or two.

Like it thinks it's going to just walk away. It never made it.

Here's a leafhopper...

Here's a dead leafhopper...

Come in to my parlor said the spider to the fly

Spider and fly

And one of the good ones, aa little orange lady bug,

Thanks for the encouraging support, @Dinsdale :welcome:

Welcome to my garden. I have a good feeling about it this year.
Here is another visitor that came yesterday too, a swallowtail butterfly on the white widow.

Here is a better view of the white widow auto growing outside. It finished six weeks and started flowering right on schedule with the indoor ones. The plant in the 5g pot is WW also, three weeks younger. Behind the WWs are the clones, which are getting bigger than I expected due to uncharacteristic steady pleasant weather. The WW is at 32 inches high.

IMG_017966.JPG

Back
Top Bottom