OTM's DIY Bubble Cloning & Sprouting 40 Year Old Seeds & Current RDWC Harvest

Old TimingMan

:welcome:

First off, I would like to thank all of you that have encouraged me to start a journal, you all know who you are and your your words of encouragement is appreciated. I am quite new to the 420 family and over the last couple months have encountered so many great folks!:thumb:

My last grow was back in 1981, it was a 9 month grow that started indoors mid February, moved outdoors in mid May and was harvested in late October...that was how it was done since my 1st grow in 1975. I was pretty successful growing 12-24 plants that would end up being 6-8'+ and averaging 2-2 1/2lbs of dried product each. I learned a lot about growing under mother nature's rules and improvised many ways to cheat her when I could!

After 1981, I moved away and my love of growing and smoking was replaced by making a "honest living" and taking care of my wife & kids...the kids are all grown up and left the nest as did the wife, so now I can have my second childhood!:smokin:

I don't have access to the great outdoor growing experience any more so a unfinished room in my basement has been partitioned to a dedicated grow room, a room within a room for better control of the climate with-in.

My first grow in 35 years so far has been good with no major problems, I credit that to many hours of research, many watched videos online and reading many journals right here on :420: from the noobs like me to the pro's which there are many!:thumb:

I am the DIY type, this journal will show my DIY RDWC design, an idea of my grow room set up and how it is working, the $10.00 bubble cloner which will be up and running tomorrow, and my attempt to sprout and grow some 40 year old seeds which I found while visiting my dad last weekend.

Current grow of Photo Fem CKS White Widow & Purple Kush dropped in water on 4-22-17 and now on day 17 of flower;
plants_7-5-17_001.JPG

Widow gals;
plants_7-5-17_003.JPG

Purple Kush gals;
plants_7-5-17_002.JPG

Pretty little flowers;
plants_7-5-17_004.JPG

The clones will be taken tomorrow from these, 3 from each, I will post a update tomorrow with a couple process pictures.

The 40+ year old seeds look like this as found with my old sorting tray! I am quite sure we have Panama Red, Maui Wowi, and the one that is marked "Gold" is probably Colombian, but there was also Acapulco & Jamaican floating around at the time so these I am not 100% sure on, one thing I am sure on is the stuff was good or I would have not saved the seeds!;
seeds_0031.JPG

seeds_004.JPG

seeds_005.JPG

seeds_0061.JPG

seeds_0071.JPG

Right now they are in the freezer as recommended, I did sacrifice 3 of them (one of each) and split them with a razor blade, inside they are a off-white color and kind of wax like, I was expecting dried up stuff so this is encouraging;
splits_002.JPG

soaking_002.JPG

I threw a couple of the Maui Wowi seed in a shot glass of tap water to see what happens, I don't expect much on these two so I ordered some Gibberellic Acid (GA3) which is supposed to wake up old seeds.

Pull up a chair, give me your suggestions, comments, and encouragement...together we will have a good time!
:party::party::420::ganjamon:

re: OTM's DIY Bubble Cloning & Sprouting 40 Year Old Seeds & Current RDWC Harvest

I'm in too and hope for the best :thumb:

re: OTM's DIY Bubble Cloning & Sprouting 40 Year Old Seeds & Current RDWC Harvest

I threw a couple of the Maui Wowi seed in a shot glass of tap water to see what happens

This will be great since I'll be able to witness vicariously what I had planned to do in reality but can't, which is to say that when I moved, the seed stash in the back of my desk (the whole desk, actually) didn't make the move. And there were a whole bunch of genuine Maui Wowi in there that I know for a fact was actually grown on Maui. They weren't 40 years old but may have been 30...

In any case, it's a fun project. :thumb:

This will be great since I'll be able to witness vicariously what I had planned to do in reality but can't, which is to say that when I moved, the seed stash in the back of my desk (the whole desk, actually) didn't make the move. And there were a whole bunch of genuine Maui Wowi in there that I know for a fact was actually grown on Maui. They weren't 40 years old but may have been 30...

In any case, it's a fun project. :thumb:

Welcome aboard Science, I am going to rely on science and luck on popping these seeds, have 2 soaking just to see what happens until the GA3 arrives...It may be many attempts combined with different methods...hopefully one will work!:welcome:

Pulling up a chair!

I was really hoping you'd journal this OTM. If you can pull this off it would be amazing. I've seen a few other journals with 20+ year old seeds but they were just that, seeds with an "I think there are strain X" but not sure. This is the first where I've seen some certainty with the type of strain being attempted, and 3 of the best I might add. Best of luck and I'm on board.

I was really hoping you'd journal this OTM. If you can pull this off it would be amazing. I've seen a few other journals with 20+ year old seeds but they were just that, seeds with an "I think there are strain X" but not sure. This is the first where I've seen some certainty with the type of strain being attempted, and 3 of the best I might add. Best of luck and I'm on board.

Great to have you here Dawg, I read you first journal and picked up some great first hand tips on doing my scrog, and as you can see it is beginning to pay off!:welcome:

Awesome to see you started your journal.. everything is looking great. Those are some big ladies for being two and a half months old. The diy rdwc works well for you.. cant wait to see if the seeds you found pop for you. From what you have described of them, here and on pws thread, i think they will be good to go!

Great to have you here Dawg, I read you first journal and picked up some great first hand tips on doing my scrog, and as you can see it is beginning to pay off!:welcome:

Yes, I meant to comment on your scrog in my first post. It's looking near perfect.:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom