First Grow - 1200W LED - FFOF - Clementine Kush

Apbeast87

Welcome Everyone to my very first grow. I've never had a green thumb. In fact to my loved ones, most would describe my thumb as "The Black Thumb of Plague and Death" Soooooo previous attempts at growing tomatoes and pumpkins and other fun things have ended miserably. Cross your fingers that nothing goes up in flames for my first Cannabis Grow.

What are you growing?

2x Clementine Kush from CO. Seed Inc. Regular Seeds

From CO. Seed Inc. description:

Tangerine Sunrise x Gupta Kush
50/50 Hybrid
Flowering Time: 8 - 9 weeks
Yield: "High"
Density "High"
THC "21%"

Clementine Kush is a cross of two of our most well-known strains: Tangerine Sunrise (which was ranked one of the top ten Colorado marijuana strains of 2014), and our inbred line, the Gupta Kush. The combination yields a bright, very happy, and relaxing smoke.

The citrus notes and mellow Hawaiian vibes come through from the Tangerine side and complement the strength and earthy musk of the Gupta line. It’s a bright, functional, uplifting sativa that tastes like you’ve just inhaled an orange blossom. Beautiful trich-covered colas smell of oranges and kush weed. Most plants are taller and can be heavily topped or bent to increase yield.

1 x Blue Dream x Black Domina from Dutch Girl Seeds Regular Seeds

Flowering time: 9-10 weeks
Yield: "High
40% Indica / 60% Sativa

No Description, threw out the packing, Sorry!

Why these strains?

Looking for medicine that fits my needs, also looked for strains easy for newbies outside of northern lights and white widow

What's your setup?

8x8x7 Gorilla Grow Tent
Room Temp 73-85 F
Light: 1200w Full Spectrum Veg Power - 379 Watts/Bloom Power - 690 watts
400x3 LED PAR Rating 1440 @ 24"
Max-Fan Pro Series 8" 863 CFM from Can Fans with 8x24 Phresh Filter
Extech Indoor Hygro-Thermometer
6x small circulating fans

What's your grow medium?

Rockwool Cubes (Until taproot shows)
3 gallon smart pots
Fox Farm Ocean Forest
Transplant into 5 Gallon Smart Pots
Blue Dream/Domina in Water Farm

What's your goal?

Gain experience in gardening as a hobby, and produce good quality medicine for my needs

What's your plan?

Temperature and humidity: Temp changes throughout the day from 73 F @ Night to 83 F during day. Room humidity is kept at between 40-60%

Feeding: First 4 weeks of feeding was strictly based on the Nutes already in Fox Farm Ocean Forest. Afterwards I've been using Cultured Solutions Veg A & B and UC Roots. Supplementing Cal Mag, and Kelp as needed.
For Bloom I plan on using Cultured Solutions Bloom A & B along with Bud/Bloom Booster early,mid, and late.

Watering: I'm watering with RO water, and PHing to 5.8-6.2 No set schedule, using the "Knuckle Deep" Technique to determine when plants are thirsty

Germination: I started my seedlings in Rockwool Cubes with 5.8 balanced distilled water. I Originally Germed 6 Clementine Kush Seeds this way, however down the road 4 ended up being chopped due to being male. Blue Dream/Domina was added later to supplement. All were regular seeds.

Training: For Clementine Kush, I've decided to go with Mainlining/Manifolding the original Nugbuckets way, as described if you google it. Mainlining is a technique where you use even symmetry and only grow main colas to increase bud production. Less bud sites draining nutes that wouldn't produce much, therefore main colas receive all the energy and production. In theory producing very large main colas and yield.

Blue Dream/Domina is just being topped 2 or 3 times, and defoil lower growth sites. This is being done because it is currently behind Clementine kush by several weeks.

This Grow is already in progress.

Clementine Kush, From here on referred to as CK is 46 days into Veg and has been mainlined with some minor success as described below

Blue Dream/Domina, From here on referred to as BD is 19 days into Veg and currently has been topped twice.

Lets Get this thing Started!

CK Veg Day 46
BD Veg Day 19

Okay First up is an overhead view of the 4x4x7 space I'm currently using as my grow area. Sorry for the Blurple, it's honestly the best shot I could get with my camera as the space is 7 feet tall. On the Left is CK #5 "The one Momma Bonked" Early in it's seedling phase my wife "bonked" it by dropping a cup of water on it...never thought it'd make it! Its 1 of 2 females that made it from the original 6 CK Seeds I germinated. CK #5 is doing very well, however I did accidently supercrop one of the growth nodes, as you'll see later.

On the Far right, you'll see CK #6 "The One Daddy Butchered" The name says it all, it was the plant I first mainlined, and thus broke off 1 of the 2 original Grow sites after the 1st topping. On top of that, as a seedling #6 was a mutant, I topped early at just 4 nodes, because the cola...well I'm not sure how to explain it, instead of a cola...it was just 1 fan leaf. No damage was done to it prior...just a random Fan leaf instead of a Cola site. This has stunted it's growth, and it is currently about 3-5 inches lagging in height from it's sister.

In the Middle...which you cannot see in this picture, is BD #1. It's in a waterfarm with a block of Styrofoam over the top to use as staple training. It's currently a little sad because I just topped it for the 2nd time 1 day ago, and I overfilled the Waterfarm slightly, so it's a bit droopy and sad.
IMG_20170711_211523.jpg

CK #5 in relation to a Sharpie. I like the structure so far. I'm using tomato cages to help guide where I want the main colas to be.
IMG_20170711_211631.jpg

CK #6 definitely stunted due to the reasons explained above. Just defoliated 1 day ago, so it looks a little bare. This is supposed to be normal for the Mainline technique, I also took 3 clones from her.
IMG_20170711_211319.jpg

And Finally BD #1 I got the idea from Vex to use styrofoam to use with garden staples as a training tool...only 1 downside...
IMG_20170711_211332.jpg

BD #1 has started to show sex...at 19 days of veg, and although you cannot tell perfectly from the picture, the top/right pre-flower in person, appears to have a stem. Which would indicate a male...I will wait for awhile to find out before taking the axe out.
IMG_20170711_211209.jpg

I'd love questions, comments, and advice. I'm here to learn, and grow with all of you!

CK Veg Day 46
BD Veg Day 19

Whoot! What a great setup. Love that tent size! Im jelly. Lol

Very interesting strains, can't wait for the smoke review when all's said and done. .

Thanks for mentioning me. Hehe Glad it gave you an idea.

May I ask what the 1 down side is?

Oh, and its best to use solid foam. Which I bought, but was too lazy to swap out the "temporary" styrofoam, which sheds everywhere. Hense why I duct taped the shit out of it. . Home Depot sells the pink panther 2x2 solid foam.

Keep up the great work!

Hey Vex, welcome man. I read your journal along with a few other peoples before posting. Loved watching your plants man. You have really awesome DIY skills.

The 1 downside is BD #1 sexed already, or rather has shown preflowers as of day 19 veg. The preflowers in the photo look female, however there's a tiny little stem on the right one connecting it to the branch. It's too small for me to even get a good photo of...so I'm crossing my fingers it's not Herm.

Thanks for the tip about home Depot. I went to a local hobby store for the foam, and like you said it sheds everywhere. What garden stakes are you using?

I got the tent size because of the next grow I have planned. An 8x 13 gallon bucket RDWC with control HQ and Rez. It's made with 3 inch ID pvc piping, and I have a 1/4 hp water chiller for it. Just waiting on this grow to finish before I start the next.

CK Veg Day 47
BD Veg Day 20

Hey everyone, got some better pictures for you today, or at least I'm hoping they are better.

CK #5 is currently measuring in at 14 inches above soil, I'll be waiting until 20 inches to switch to flowering most likely, my guess is likely 7-10 days and we should be there. The other girls will be switched at the same time as I'm anxious to begin my next grow with my new equipment.
IMG_20170712_185706.jpg
IMG_20170712_185651.jpg
IMG_20170712_185635.jpg

#6 CK is looking a bit better today, still stunted. She's currently sitting at 10 inches above soil, I'm hoping to get her to 5-6 inches extra in growth by the time I flip the switch. On that note, does anyone have any ideas on how to quickly accelerate growth on her? I have Silica coming, and my Fumic acid just got in today, so I'm planning to feed all the girls in the next 2 days.
IMG_20170712_185848.jpg
IMG_20170712_185855.jpg

BD #1 is still very sad, I finally narrowed down the issue, it was PH lockout. My PH had snuck up to 7.0 over the last 2 days. I normally check every 3 days, however I'll be checking more often now. Her PH should be at 5.8 as of now. She will be getting pruned soon, hopefully to encourage faster node growth on her 4 growth sites.
IMG_20170712_185907.jpg
IMG_20170712_185903.jpg

I did these photos without the LED on, as the Burple looked bad, however it was a pain. I need to figure out how to mess with white balance or something. As I said above, any suggestions on how to quickly accelerate growth in the short term would be appreciated. I do plan on feeding them in the next 2 days with Fumic Acid and Silica added to their normal nutrients. BD had her styrofoam removed as it was a pain and shedding everywhere. I'll look into other solutions. Vex had mentioned getting some Foam board from HD or something.

Thoughts? Advice?

Hey Vex, welcome man. I read your journal along with a few other peoples before posting. Loved watching your plants man. You have really awesome DIY skills.

The 1 downside is BD #1 sexed already, or rather has shown preflowers as of day 19 veg. The preflowers in the photo look female, however there's a tiny little stem on the right one connecting it to the branch. It's too small for me to even get a good photo of...so I'm crossing my fingers it's not Herm.

Thanks for the tip about home Depot. I went to a local hobby store for the foam, and like you said it sheds everywhere. What garden stakes are you using?

I got the tent size because of the next grow I have planned. An 8x 13 gallon bucket RDWC with control HQ and Rez. It's made with 3 inch ID pvc piping, and I have a 1/4 hp water chiller for it. Just waiting on this grow to finish before I start the next.
Thanks, bud!

I'm using plastic coated copper wire. I found some Zebra wire on Amazon that will work for you too.

51_qW6bIAbL.jpg

Welcome Jay & Kevin! Happy to have y'all here for the journal.

And thanks Vex, I'll look into it. This is my first grow so I'm excited to have you here, many mistakes we're made prior to making the journal.

The wife brought in jalopenos and strawberries into the tent at one point that were absolutely infested with fungus gnats and fruit flies .I spent a long time getting rid of those.

Broken branches and accidental super cropping.

Overall I'll be happy when this grow is over so I can start anew. With hopefully less issues

Every grow you gain more knowledge and skill, and think of new and better ways of doing something. That's the fun of it all, well that and getting baked on some buds you put so much effort into!

Girls got fed today!

Cultured solutions Veg A & B 5ml per gallon
Diamond Gold 3ml per gallon
Mammoth P 1ml per gallon
Cal Mag 5ml per gallon.

PH'd to 6.5

CK #5 & #6 both drank 2 gallons with 20% runoff! They were super thirsty.

BD #1 had a modest 1/2 gallons added to her waterfarm. PHd to 5.8

This is my first time trying Mammoth P. And good God is it expensive. I've heard good things but we'll see. I decided to start adding it now as they plants are as trained as I want them to be, and I'm just waiting on vertical growth on CK #5 to reach the 20 inch above soil mark. They are listed as being a 50/50 hybrid so I have no idea what to expect for stretch, however 5 FT is my Max due to not wanting the colas to burn on my lights hot zone. So I figure worst case scenario if they triple I should still be good. If they double I'm sure I'll be happy with the yield, part of me is hoping for triple though! I'm glutton for punishment.

#5 CK is growing vertical very well. She's at about 17-18 inches, so she's gained some legs over the last few days. Not long now!

Alright, so here is the Update photos.

As this is still week 1, they are getting their Veg nutrients still, I'll be swapping them into flower nutrients on day 7 or 8. I did not do an extended dark period for the girls to shock them into flower as I felt it might already be a big enough shock going from 24/0 to 12/12.

CK #5 & 6 have veg'd for 64 days

We're now on Day 3 of Flower, or day 71 from seed for these girls.
Both girls were transplanted into 5 gallon smart parts for some extra room to grow about 2 weeks ago.

BD #1 Veg'd for just 34 days, and we're on day 40 from seed.

Clones are various ages, 2 of them I did top twice, and trained into a "Quick Manifold", the other two I'm leaving as is for just a basic plant. 3 of the clones are CK, and the one little baby is a BD...honestly I really like the structure on this one, and I think it's kind of cute.

CK #5 measuring in at 25 inches from the soil. Having some uneven canopy issues with 3 of the Colas, 2 seem to be catching up to the canopy, but one just can't seem to do it, At this point the overall length is too far spaced in my opinion for just tie downs. Reflecting on it, I let the others get too big and grow too fast ahead of the little one early during Veg, and it's had a hard time catching up, I attribute this to my lack of experience, and possibly cautious nature after some accidents with #6 early on.
New Growth seems to be a lighter green than I'm used to seeing, however I'm guessing this is due to the explosive growth rates I'm already seeing into week 1.
IMG_20170731_003133.jpg

CK #6 has recovered nicely from my original butchering, she's measuring in at 16 inches above soils. Canopy is uneven, honestly I didn't even know how to go about fixing this one as it was so uneven to begin with. While not ideal, I am happy with how she's turned out.
IMG_20170731_003141.jpg

BD #1 honestly I'm really digging the genetics of this one, it's very happy, easy to bounce back from mistakes, and just the leaf structure and node spacing is visually attractive to me. After my failed test with foamboard, I supercropped the 4 main colas, and tied them down to the irrigation ring in the water farm. While not ideal, the canopy seems mostly even at the moment, I'm keeping a close eye on it, as 3 look like they are growing ever so slightly faster than the other 1.
IMG_20170731_003146.jpg

Here is a picture of the CK clones, 2 were going to be mothers but I changed my mind as I got ahold of some really rare genetics that to my knowledge, no one has done before, so I'll be starting from seed next run. The clone mothers were transplanted into 3 gallons pots after their roots grew out from the bottom of their 1 gallon smart pots, very weird to see, I thought they had gotten infested with worms the first time I saw it haha.
IMG_20170731_003157.jpg

And Finally BD #1 clone, it's tiny, it's cute, and it's doing great.
IMG_20170731_003203.jpg

Also I hope the lighting is better. I upgraded lights to a 600w Timber Frame using COB 3950's It's currently set on max power, and sitting about 21 inches away from the highest part of the canopy (CK #5)

The 2 CK girls are getting huge, with #5 right at stomach height. Can't wait to see how they do during stretch.
I will be doing 1 more prune of leaves and shoots at the end of Week 1.

What do ya'll think? Opinions? Advice? Questions?

Back
Top Bottom