Bullitt's Rookie Season Outdoor Nukehead 2017

Frank Bullitt

Hello 420
I am in my rookie season as a MJ grower & have decided to scribe a grow journal in the hope I can receive constructive criticism from those of you who are more advanced at growing this particular plant. I am not a beginning gardener however, as I have been feeding my family out of my garden(s) since I was a rather young tike.

Earlier this year I did get started on the very 1st grow of MJ I've ever done. Unfortunately, both plants turned out to be male plants. That was obviously frustrating for a rookie MJ grower. So, I sought out some feminized seed and found an interesting strain called Nukehead.

Here are the particulars. The strain, per the breeder, is a Hybrid. I am growing outdoors and will utilize fabric pots. I realize it is a bit late to get started in mid July, but I am at 27° north latitude which should give me enough time to get a plant going. I am also intrigued by the strain, plus tired of over paying for my med. I'm growing in a mix of 2/3rd FFOF and 1/3rd Coco + I will top dress with my compost. I will elaborate on my compost & compost tea when we get to that point in the journal.

My 1st, and only at this point, interesting observation with this strain is that when it sprouted overnight on July 18th it already had its 1st real leaves very visible when I took this picture that AM.

nuke_start_1.jpg

View image in gallery

Looking forward to a successful grow & all of your input.

Date: 26 July 2017
Strain: Nukehead
Type: Hybrid
Stage: VEG Day 8
Style: Outdoor
Media: ⅔ Ocean Forest ⅓ Coco
Current Pot: Solo Cup
Nutrients: N/A so far

Hey 420 Community. I wanted to post a short & quick update. The photo below was taken on 7/26/17 which is Day 8 in Veg. She’s looking fine so far IMHO. Mother nature has watered her 2X. Once on the 20th with a light rain & on the 24th with a serious soaker rain. She seems to have handled that with ease. I have a couple questions for the more experienced growers. My evening humidity levels are quite high where I am. Many nights my outdoor humidity is 90% to 95%. Do you think it would be beneficial to bring her in the house during the photo dark period where she’ll be in 78° temps with 45% relative humidity? Thank you for any input.
Cindi.jpg

Date: 29 July 2017
Stage: VEG Day 11
Current Pot: Solo Cup — to 1 gal
Nutrients: N/A so far

Hey 420 Community. I wanted to post another short & quick update. The photos below were taken on 7/29/17 which is Day 11 in Veg. I noticed a root tip pooped out of the bottom of the Solo — So it became transplant day. She was perfectly moist when she was placed in her new temporary home. This is the last plastic pot she'll ever live in. I watered her in with her 1st inoculate, Recharge. Unfortunately, Mom Nature soaked her with a hell of a rain storm on the same day. She has been able to dry out a bit in the sun over the last couple days. Since I was unable to solicit a response to my previously posted question & because of the humidity levels, & the amount of rain she's been getting, I decided to take her in at night to a much lower humidity level during her photo dark period. Not to worry she's back outside a bit before the sun is creeping over the morning horizon. Comments are appreciated! Thank you for any input.
Cindi_day_11.jpg
Cindi_day_11_2.jpg
Cindi_day_11_3.jpg

Date: 12 August 2017
Stage: VEG Day 24
Current Pot: 1gal – to 5 gal fabric pot
Nutrients: compost tea on day 24

Hey 420 Community. Sorry Its been a little bit. Went on Vacation. Here’s another update. The photos below were taken on 8/11/17 which is Day 24 in Veg. I noticed a root tip pooped out of the bottom of the 1 gal – So it we come to our 2nd transplant. She was moist to semi dry when she found her new pot. So far I am pleased with the performance of this plant. She responded very well to the first transplanting by growing that 1 gal out in just 13 days. If I had not been on vacation I believe she could have been transplanted again earlier.

My 1st question, given the late start on this plant I am wondering if this will be her final home? I truly hope she’ll blow this pot out in the next 3 weeks or so. I want to take her up into a 15 gallon fabric pot I have available for the last 60 days or there about. I topped this plant on 8/9, and 2 very tiny shoots have appeared already. I am hoping to push this plant to give me 4 main colas. Any input regarding the calendar & advice on further topping is welcome.

I watered her in with 1st feeding of compost tea. I mentioned in an earlier post I would scribe out my compost tea recipe for this journal. I also mentioned I am not a new gardener, just new to this plant. If the information seems a it over the top, sorry, that's just my way. I want pure organic meds. I generally brew either 8 gallons or 24 gallons depending on time of year & what is growing in my gardens All my teas begin with the humus that I compost myself. For an 8 gal batch, I use 1 cup of humus.

I also run my own small worm factory. The only food my worms get is certified organic, or vegetable peels and scraps from my garden, period. It produces the best worm castings you can imagine. I use 1 cup of worm castings for an 8-gallon brew.

The final part of the recipe is amendments. The amendments help to supercharge the tea and produce excellent results over the growing season. The amendments I add are, kelp meal, soybean meal, alfalfa meal, langbeinite, greensand, rock phosphate, leonardite, basalt, sea minerals, nutritional yeast, liquid amino acids, worm poop juice, organic unsulphured blackstrap molasses and a dash of Yucca. I brew this mix for 24 to 27 hours and then immediately use all of the tea. This plant got 1 gallon of my tea after this transplant. Comments and questions are appreciated! Thank you for any input.
Cindi_d24.jpg
Cindi_rootsD24.jpg
Cindi_TransD24.jpg

Date: 20 August 2017
Stage: VEG Day 31
Current Pot: 5 gal fabric pot
Nutrients: Rain on day 29

Hey 420 Community. The photos below were taken on 8/19/17 which is Day 31 in Veg. Now we can really start to see the indica dominate trait of this strain. She is also just beginning to put off a fuel pheno when you put your nose right on her and give it a whiff. She has responded to the transplant with flying colors. No transplant shock what so ever. Look at the bountiful growth she has put on in just 7 days. She has aggressively responded to the compost tea she got watered in with at time of transplant. This really doesn't surprise me given how aggressive these plants can be and I know my tea formula is A++.

A few problems did however rear their ugly heads this week. As denoted on the 2nd photo, we had some insect damage. Not sure if it was caused by a cabbage looper or a cutworm. Whatever it is/was got a dose of my insecticidal soap on the 15th and the 18th, and will get another on the 21st. It already seems to have taken care of the initial problem. Now I just need to make sure any remaining eggs are also killed off. My insect soap recipe is simple. I emulsify 1 tsp of pure whole organic neem oil with ½ tsp soap nut powder then mix with water. The neem smells but it works. At next transplant I will also be working neem meal into the soil. I plan on transplanting into a 15 gal pot on Sept 1. I'll also be upgrading the soil mix to my own mixture which I will delineate in that posting.

The nutrient issue has me a little puzzled. I do not notice any fungus gnats or larvae in the soil which is why I believe those brown spots and slight leaf curl are a nute issue. Could it be a lack of boron? It doesn't seem to be a calcium issue especially since I add cal to my compost tea. I would love some feedback on this issue. I will continue to monitor for fungus gnats in case I am wrong on that issue.

Comments and questions are appreciated! Thank you for any input. — See you next week. Enjoy the eclipse!

bull8_19.JPG
bull8_18.JPG
bull8_17.JPG

Pretend those last two comments never happened. Your organic nutrient system you're running there is fantastic, and your plants are going to kill.

Honestly man, you know what you're doing and you're going to be fine. Your brown spots on the plants are probably from the neem, or an insect. Are you spraying the plants before sundown? I know if I ever wash my plants during light period they burn like crazy from the solution.

Something tells me that I thought the same thing for a long time, but I did some research, and after several grows I'm going to change my mind on that. My plants thrive hard, my stems are thick and green, my root balls at the end of the grow, are massive, my yield is above average, the quality and taste :) I'm not put off in the least by it being synthetic. The high is cleaner, the vapor is smoother, my lungs feel better, I can breath better. And I think I made a very good choice, you might get a great deal of what your plant needs with organics, but your not going to get everything! Trust the experts... I'm not going to tell you that you need to buy this one or that one, I'm just going to tell you that your organics are only giving your plants about 1/3 of what they need, and when they get that 1/3. It's awhile before it's broken down into food the plant can uptake.

Something tells me that I thought the same thing for a long time, but I did some research, and after several grows I'm going to change my mind on that. My plants thrive hard, my stems are thick and green, my root balls at the end of the grow, are massive, my yield is above average, the quality and taste :) I'm not put off in the least by it being synthetic. The high is cleaner, the vapor is smoother, my lungs feel better, I can breath better. And I think I made a very good choice, you might get a great deal of what your plant needs with organics, but your not going to get everything! Trust the experts... I'm not going to tell you that you need to buy this one or that one, I'm just going to tell you that your organics are only giving your plants about 1/3 of what they need, and when they get that 1/3. It's awhile before it's broken down into food the plant can uptake.

Just remember, what works for you may not work as well for others and vice versa. I am glad your methods are working great for you.

Hey 420 — Very happy to see some comments on the thread. I would kindly ask that we do not get into a discussion regarding nutrient programs i.e. synthetics v. organics. Both methodologies have pro's & cons.

I am completely confident that my methodology will be more than sufficient for this plant. It is for the pumpkin pictured below which weighed in this past weekend at 457 lbs. I fully expect, if it doesn't burst, that it will be 650 -700 lbs by Halloween. If you are unfamiliar with growing giant pumpkins, they too are Phosphorus, Potassium, Calcium and Magnesium hogs. I mentioned in my initial posting here, I am new to this plant, not new to gardening. I've been a certified master gardener for a long while. I know what's what and how to grow.

I have figured out the mistake I did make. The brown spots are burn. When I transplanted this plant into the 5 gal pot I used very fresh compost. Compost that had not been aged enough, therefore it was a bit 'hot'. When the roots finally hit the nitrogen, it was beyond what the plant could take at this point in its life cycle, thus the burn.

I am not going to get into any discussion regarding buying products from the breeder. My interface with them was brief via Email & they seemed very pleasant to trade with. See you at the end of the week with another update. Thank you for the comments and following this journal.
17pumpkin8_20.jpg

Back
Top Bottom