Hortishorti's First Grow - Organic Bagseed 2017

HortiShorti

Hello 420magazine!

Welcome to my journal!
I'm a complete newb, and I'm several weeks into the grow.. I was resisting the urge to make a journal, but I couldn't keep myself from wanting to learn the techniques that make so many of you so amazing..

I'm already several weeks into this and I hope my experiences may help another grower or at least encourage a would-be-grower to take the chance :)

Alright.. let's get this started.

Materials:
Fox Farm Big Bloom Liquid Nutrient
Fox Farm Grow Big Liquid Nutrient
Fox Farm Ocean Forest Soil
15x seeds from local "dank"..
Complete home RO system

I also decided to order 2x Mars Hydro 300w plus a 24x24x63 tent. These items have yet to arrive but will be here by the end of the week. Very excited.

Currently, all plants are outdoors and seem to be doing very well despite growing somewhat slow. Outside temperatures reach roughly 100' Farenheit during the day and only cool to about 87-89'.

I have 2 plants(one I suspect is female) that are over 2 weeks old.

The rest are coming up on their first week.

I'll post pictures shortly!
(Using Chrome on an Android tablet seems a bit tricky..)

Hey all, sorry it's been quite a while! I had to go quite a while without Internet!

I am down to just 2 plants and a 10 day old seedling unfortunately. Only one is confirmed to be female!

Here's a picture with the lights off!
The one in the orange pot revealed itself to be a male this morning so it has been pulled :'( it stunk so nice though.

420-magazine-mobile1549310910.jpg

Here's a picture with the lights on now :)

420-magazine-mobile1042635339.jpg

It has been such a neat learning experience!!

This one is roughly ~33 days old and has been under 12/12 for 8 days. I flushed with RO water ph'd to 6.5~ using vinegar on day 28. Since then, I've been feeding her every other watering (I water once every 3 days to keep fungus gnats away). My feeding schedule consists of 3tsp Big Bloom + 1tsp Grow Big per gallon of RO water. This is so far the only confirmed female, with pistils first appearing 3 days ago.

420-magazine-mobile643356332.jpg

This plant is also on day 33~
Still no sign of flower or preflower, and unfortunately, I guess my vision isn't well enough to tell.. I am a bit wary of what it's gender will be, because as of now, all new growth has been entirely symmetrical.

420-magazine-mobile1657473845.jpg

I've followed the same schedule on both plants, I've also used a variety of LST(now removed) and Supercropping techniques. Despite having ran into PH issues (my RO hovers at 7.8 and I didn't have any sort of PH testing equipment until last monday) I think I'm doing pretty well for a first timer .

I'm also pretty happy using 2 300w mars in my little area. Plants have quintupled in size since I received them nearly 3 weeks ago.

Anyways, sorry for the poor pic quality!
Happy growing :)

420-magazine-mobile1637263891.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1503845605.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1765951271.jpg

I unfortunately had to pull the other plant I had, as it too, was male .

Seeing as I was using 1 Mars 300 per plant, I decided to move the other mars into a different room.. I now have the seedling and a cutting I'm attempting to clone under the Mars running a 24/0 schedule.

The cutting is currently sitting in a dim-esque corner in a makeshift styrofoam/soil/saran-rap clone cup. I have very little experience with cloning, I'm hoping it takes root. Anyone have any experience with Rootech gel?

420-magazine-mobile1122047695.jpg

Here's a picture of the cutting I'm trying to root currently. Roughly a day old.. I have it outside in the shade where it will never get direct sunlight for now. I'm happy to see that it's standing up. .

420-magazine-mobile215072162.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1802197494.jpg

My lady is starting to flower! She smells a bit like burnt rubber though?? Is this normal?

Can't answer that question about the burnt rubber smell but just figured I'd complement the little ladies cause they look good!
Thank you thank you :) I've done a little reading on the burnt rubber smell and apparently there are strains that give off such an odor. Should be interesting as it develops, very chemical/fuel-esque

Thank you thank you :) I've done a little reading on the burnt rubber smell and apparently there are strains that give off such an odor. Should be interesting as it develops, very chemical/fuel-esque

Did it by chance list the strain? That would be a pretty interesting trait to identify the strain by if it's only a select few strains that do it!

Yes they can take on some pretty rank smells, my Scotts og smelled like old tennis balls but was very good meds.
Old tennis balls sounds very appealing! . I'd imagine everything you grow turns out to be good meds! That's all I'm really hoping for is to grow good meds for personal consumption and to occasionally share with friends. I've had meds that smelled like cat piss/dirty diapers in the past that were amazing.

Did it by chance list the strain? That would be a pretty interesting trait to identify the strain by if it's only a select few strains that do it!
It would be nice to have an identifiable strain, but because I'll never be certain of the lineage I'm gonna have to wait until I get some certifiable genetics. Hopefully next time around I can

So, a friend of mine has a 250w hps he's selling for practically nothing - it comes with a digital 500w ballast that has 2 outlets on it.

I was thinking this could really benefit my flowering stage, any ideas?

I should mention that the setup does come with 2 fixtures, but he only has 1 bulb. I'm sure that could be easily remedied.

Part of me wants to stick with LED because of heat/electricity issues. The other part of me wants to just take it because it's such a great deal on it. Don't get me wrong.. I really do like the 2 300w mars I currently have, I'm just afraid of something going wrong with them.

I should mention that the setup does come with 2 fixtures, but he only has 1 bulb. I'm sure that could be easily remedied.

Part of me wants to stick with LED because of heat/electricity issues. The other part of me wants to just take it because it's such a great deal on it. Don't get me wrong.. I really do like the 2 300w mars I currently have, I'm just afraid of something going wrong with them.

If it's such a good deal I would snag it and try it out..if you don't like it you can always resell it. And if you absolutely love it you have two LED's you can use as side lighting or one for veg one flower..the options are endless! I wouldn't pass a deal like that up considering how expensive a new one can be sometimes

Back
Top Bottom