First Grow Ever - Crop King Seeds Sour Jack Feminine

SpacemanSpiff

First of all, I'm happy with my purchase. My seeds arrived exactly one week after my order. Communications were good, explaining what to expect, and CKS sent 2 Freebies, so I received 7 seeds total. So far, I have had 100% germination (four seeds), put the other three in storage. That being said, I think I have killed three due to carelessness on my own part, going from germination to soil. Hoping that some of you can help me complete this grow successfully.

First, my grow area is extremely small, so I think that I will use a SCROG and I have a single LED Grow Light. The light was listed as 300W, but looks to draw only about 140W and part of that is for the cooling fan. That's OK, we will see what I can get! I am a lite user and really only want one plant at a time and a single oz could last me a year, if I didn't share so much.

Because I am a new grower have very few preconceived notions on how this grow should go (No real idea what I should do), it is great to find 420 Magazine's site. Since my original failures (see below) I have started to read grow journals and I plan to be very flexible, share whenever I can and consider (not always take) any input others can provide. The best that I can tell, my failure moving from germination to soil was in my soil selection and a little bad luck. I wanted to grow organic and thought a soil grow would be a good first grow, so I simply put some organic soil in cups and put my first two little sprouted seeds in the soil. Then on a sunny morning, before work, I sat them out to grow. Unfortunately, there was an unexpected afternoon thunderstorm that blew up while I was at work. Never saw that coming and it washed them right out and I haven't seen them since. I was a little more careful with third seed and kept it indoors, in a window seal, but I think the organic soil was too heavy and it never broke the surface. After some looking at what I had done and considering some articles that I had read, I started soaking my fourth seed and went back to the store and found some vermiculite. I mixed this 75% vermiculite with 25% organic soil in a cup, watered with rain water and my fourth seed popped up fine. I also prepared a 12" pot with a 50/50 mix of vermiculite and organic soil and have it in my grow room, waiting until it is about time to transplant before watering it.

Below are a couple of pictures, the first are my soils and the seed soaking in a paper towel, just before being placed into the cup. The second is few days later, the day after my seed sprouted. She is under an 18/6 light cycle now, to keep the heat from getting too hot and looks pretty good to me.
Soil36.JPG
Day_1V.JPG

Re: First Grow Ever — CROP KING SEEDS Sour Jack Feminine Order # 633949cks

Good luck on the grow. They will flower for 115+ days!

Re: First Grow Ever — CROP KING SEEDS Sour Jack Feminine Order # 633949cks

Thanks Torst! Wow! That's longer than I was anticipating! What are the benefits of long flower? Better bud development? More potent buds? Or is it just slow?

Based on this information, if I veg until end of October (Halloween), I may be able to harvest near the end of February? By time I cure them, I should have something good by April Fools Day? Of course based on the way that I cook, I will have to "test" some before then! This is really going to be a test of my patience. (Part of the reason that I am growing anyway...)

Week #1 Seems like my girl is doing OK, but I was a little concerned about the heat. Since starting my lights, the room starting hoovering between 80-90F, so last night I installed a new vent fan that I was planning to help control odor anyway and vented this outside. Then I added a make-up air source from an AC/Heat controlled part of my house and have this blowing right on the little lady. This morning, after 12 hours of light, the temperature was 76F, so I hope this helps her grow even better. The good news is that fall is coming and it should time well with the cooler fall/winter for the budding. (Pure luck on my part, but I will remember this timing.) Not 100% sure, but I think that I saw a second set of leaves developing last night, but didn’t get a picture. I will snap a picture when I get home and share.

Thi is what I have so far;

MG- seed starting potting mix- nitrogen( 0.03%) AV phosphorus- 0.03%, and soluble potash - 0.03%

MG sphagnum peat moss - nitrogen (0.19%) AV phosphate- 0.11%, Soluble potash-0.15%

Sta-Green Vermiculite

Miracle grow perlite - nitrogen (0.07%) AV phosphate - 0.07, soluble phosphate 0.07%

I live in the Deep South and this was the best I could come up with. My question is will the miracle grow seed starting soil be okay to use through the entire gro? It does not have the time released nutes like other MG products

P.S I am using crop king Auto flower northern lights growing them in 5 gallon buckets

MrSwishaa, I'm probably not the one to ask, since this is my first grow. I live in the deep south and understand trying to find good soils and other resources. Had a friend tell me to just grow them like tomatoes. One thing that I have read is to not start them in the 5-gallon buckets, because the roots will simply grow to the edges and not make good use of all the soil. I started mine in a cup, plan to moove to small pot next, then to the 5-gallon buckets. Good Luck!

Took these pictures Friday, but went camping and just now getting the chance to upload them. I think she is looking good and I have always heard that trichomes cover the plant, but didn't realize that there would be this many just one week in.
Week_1a1.JPG
Week_1d1.jpg

First, Thanks to the CannaCountry and Icecreamman for following my grow! Knowing others are watching helps me to put more consideration into my decisions before jumping to change things.

Alright, looks like she has four new leaves coming in right on top of the original four, and I am ready to see her stretch a little, so I raised the light from 7" to 14". Honestly, I thought I had the light a little higher already, but putting a tape measure to it tells the truth. I figure that doubling the distance quarters the light, so I also changed the light cycle from 18/6 to 24/0 to help make up for the dramatic loss of intensity, but I'm hoping this encourages her to stretch.

Probably the hardest thing for me is not over watering. Because I understand that too much water is bad for root development, I'm trying to wait until the cup feels almost empty before adding water. This method is going to get tough as I move her into larger pots, so I'm looking for an old spring style bathroom scale to place her pot on before the initial watering. Cheap bathroom scales are tougher to find than I thought they would be. If anyone has other suggestions, I would appreciate them!

Good Afternoon Spaceman,

Hope all is well.

I don't use LED's...so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I would be careful with your light distance. It's clear to me from what I've read and seen in other grows, the LED's, even though they run cooler than a conventional HPS or MH, have a propensity to burn / bleach plants if they are too close. Perhaps you can research what the manufacturer of your light recommends and /or perhaps some of the good folks here who use LED's can comment further.

In terms of watering; it can be difficult to get right and the solution you're proposing is seemingly a good one. I have in the past did the ol' pick up and see if the pot feels light or heavy. However, as you noted, once you start up potting into larger containers or if you decided to do a SCROG, this tactic isn't the easiest to do or it's impossible. Here is what I do...I take my hand and place it (palm down and palm up) on top of the soil and feel for the presence of moisture. It will be cool to the touch if your medium is wet and if it's dry, you'll notice almost no difference on your hand. This is a lot like feeling a fever on your child's or loved one's forehead. If I'm still unsure, I'll poke a finger an inch or so into the soil and see if the soil feels wet or not. Watering too much is always a concern, but if you're paying attention, and it appears you are, you should be good as you learn.

Hope this helps...

CC, thanks for the quick response. I've found all sorts of distances for lights, but looks like minimums for LEDs run from they can touch the lights to 10" and the manufacturer recommends 15-25" minimum. I was starting to see just a little brown on a few edges, but not bad. Today when I took her out into more natural light, I noticed one of the older leaves was more yellow then the dark green that has been normal up until now. I plan to keep paying attention and will let you know what happens and maybe post more pictures or comments.

As for the watering, I have been feeling the soil similar to what you suggested and I think that I will start using this method more as I move into larger pots. My grow space is very tight and it is going to be tough to keep larger distances between my plants and the lights by the time they begin flowering. Thanks for the details, I'll learn!

Now time to go research when and how to repot.

CC, thanks for the quick response. I've found all sorts of distances for lights, but looks like minimums for LEDs run from they can touch the lights to 10" and the manufacturer recommends 15-25" minimum. I was starting to see just a little brown on a few edges, but not bad. Today when I took her out into more natural light, I noticed one of the older leaves was more yellow then the dark green that has been normal up until now. I plan to keep paying attention and will let you know what happens and maybe post more pictures or comments.

As for the watering, I have been feeling the soil similar to what you suggested and I think that I will start using this method more as I move into larger pots. My grow space is very tight and it is going to be tough to keep larger distances between my plants and the lights by the time they begin flowering. Thanks for the details, I'll learn!

Now time to go research when and how to repot.
Spaceman,
I know that with my LEDs I have been trying to keep getting them higher. I had some bleaching starting on mine below 24".

StonedVet and Derbybud, I took a little from each of your ideas and have my lights at 22" right now and we will see how she does. My lights are only 300W and I was initially concerned because they only really draw about 125W, thus the lower start. Thanks for the input!

She is doing well! Last week I transplanted her and the roots were looking good, so while she is still small, I think she will be fine. Anyone else have experience with this strain? CKS Sour Jack? Seems very small for three weeks in. She is also bushing out instead of growing up, which was a concern when I started with a sativa. Next time I will plant more, so that I have something for comparison. Now that she is in the larger pot, it is harder to move to natural light, so I may set up another light that I can use for pictures. and inspection.

Back
Top Bottom