AtmozFear's Perpetual Coco: Purple Crack, Granddaddy Purp & Two Autos

AtmozFear

I started growing with RDWC seven years ago, which was also my first growing experience overall, and I came to one important conclusion with full-on hydro: not only keep the ph under control, but use nutrients themselves to bring up, bring down or, most importantly, keep the ph level and stable without resorting to using any ph-up or ph-down chemicals.

I started seven years ago using Stealth Hydro's Bubbleponics six-site, ten gallon tub in my bedroom closet and had no idea what I was doing. I could hardly get past the germination because I kept putting the seeds upside down, thinking that the pointy part was where the taproot would come out. With no success this far (unaware that I was making such a simple mistake at the time), I purchased and later modified Hydrofarm's HomeGarden systems, cleared out the area under the basement stairs, moving old puzzles and board games with spider webs and cobwebs all over the place- out of there. I then went to Home Depot and bought four cinder blocks and a 4' x 4' long, thick piece of ply wood to set the two HomeGarden systems on and then I began to design my own version of the systems so that I wouldn't have to climb all the way to the back of the space to work with and drain the reservoirs of any bucket systems. This is what I came up with (though these particular plants are from a more recent grow):

DSC0106510.JPG

For all DWC grows now, I use General Hydroponics' WaterFarms in a much larger room in the back of the basement. There, I have a utility sink, a freezer, a refrigerator, and plenty of space to keep used and unused equipment and supplies. In fact, I will be growing tomatoes, peas, and peppers at the same time as this grow, in four WaterFarms, but obviously I won't include them in our discussions.

I have maybe a dozen hydro grows under my belt, and this will be my first real shot at growing perpetual, which is sort of a change in attitude and lifestyle towards growing because it shows I want to always be growing, no matter what stages my plants are in. So now, I am using that space under the stairs as a veg and autoflower space, and I am using the back room for flowering. Sprinkling in autoflowers just becomes a little bonus and fills in little harvests between bigger ones. My two autos are Blue Dream and Gigabud. I will use them both entirely for extraction.

autos are starting and finishing in the same 2.5 Gal plastic pots

Purple Crack and GDP are starting in .5 Gal plastic pots and will be transplanted later to 5 Gal Smart Pots.

medium consists of store-bought uncompressed, loose coco with super-coarse perlite

When I throw the Purple Crack and GDP into flower, I will take two or more clones and place them in a 24-site TurboKlone under the stairs alongside the autos.

Purple Crack and GDP take 8-9 weeks til harvest, and clones begin to root in the TurboKlone within a little less than a week, which will give the clones a little over two months to grow until they themselves are ready to flower. The autos will be grown during the entire veg of the first wave of PC and GDP, which will be two months, plus half the time it will take for the second wave to be ready.

So, it will go like this:
Autos, PC, and GDP all sowed at the same time.
PC and GDP veg for two months, autos veg AND bloom for three months.
When PC and GDP are ready to flower, I take cuttings and veg those cuttings for two months in the veg room while the first two PC and GDP are left in the flowering room for two months.
When half of the that time has expired, I will be harvesting the autos, and then immediately begin sowing two new autos.
When the second half of that time has expired, I will be harvesting the first two PC and GDP, and will be moving the second two PC and GDP, which have been under the stairs all that time, into the flower room. Before I do this, I will take at least two clones from THOSE two PC and GDP and leave them in the veg room with the two newly sowed autos which will have been growing for one month at this time.

So, the pattern will go like this:
initial sowing + two months: flower
one month: harvest
one month: harvest
two months: harvest
two months: harvest
Then, it will recycle. That's four harvests every six months, eight harvests a year.

Right now, all plants are in seedling stage, which I am keeping in the flower room under a 400watt Metal Halide

veg room is under 600watt Mars veg and bloom LED, plus a 120 watt flower LED

When I throw the first wave of Purple Crack and GDP into flower, I will be using a 600watt Digilux HPS, powered by a digital Nanolux ballast, and the Digilux bulb will be mounted onto a medium Adjust-a-Wing reflector... this will be the main light I use for the newly established flower room.

60% of the nutes I will be using are synthetic.

At this point in time, all the seedlings are about two weeks old and I just gave them their first dose of FMicro, FGrow, and FBloom by General Hydroponics, and they are all looking great. I gave Purple Crack and GDP a slight overdose, flushed once, and now they are fine:

Auto Blue Dream:

DSC010699.JPG

DSC010699.JPG

DSC010709.JPG

Auto Gigabud:

DSC010719.JPG

DSC010728.JPG

Purple Crack (left), Granddaddy Purple (right)

DSC010738.JPG

One thing I am new to is this forum, but here is my treasure chest of information, all of which I have read many times over:

DSC010747.JPG

-not to mention endless digital and paper issues of High Times and Skunk!

re: AtmozFear's Perpetual Coco - Purple Crack, Granddaddy Purp & Two Auts

oh... I just found out the option had opened up on a fresh instance of my browser that was hidden all this time!! Nevermind, sorry!

re: AtmozFear's Perpetual Coco - Purple Crack, Granddaddy Purp & Two Auts

Cool! Lol... and my lights just came on two mins ago! Lighting period is 8PM-2PM, in order to avoid the hottest times of day.

Re: AtmozFear's Perpetual Coco - Purple Crack, Granddaddy Purp & Two Auts

Purple Crack (left), Granddaddy Purp (right)
-notice they are waking up from what must have been an uninterrupted sleep that had taken place in total darkness, with no light leaks in the room (room, not tent), both now exactly two weeks from putting seeds into germination (1 1/2 weeks from visible sprouting):
DSC0107910.JPG

Purple Crack (notice the indica traits, as the genetics are supposed to be near 50/50):
DSC010848.JPG

Granddaddy Purp (notice slight sativa traits, or at least more so than the PC, even though GDP is supposed to be mostly indica):
DSC010867.JPG

Auto Blue Dream (same exact size as the two photo-period-strains above, which indicates slower growth):
DSC0108010.JPG

Auto Gigabud (same exact size as the two photo-period-strains above, which indicates slower growth):
DSC010826.JPG

These observations indicate that the two auto-strains, which have no similar genetic background to each other whatsoever, are growing more slowly than the two photo-period-strains.
The good news is all four plants are the same exact size at this point, which indicates that their first feeding regimen of General Hydroponics three-part Flora-series fertilizers was spot-on and in proportion to the container size, between the two photo-period-strains in the .5 Gal pots and the two auto-strains in the 2.5 Gal pots!

Auto Blue Dream - four weeks from putting seed in for germination...
If you notice, not only has Auto Blue Dream caught up with the two photo-period-strains (in number of nodes), it has also stayed very short and compact like an indica:
DSC010937.JPG

Auto Gigabud - four weeks from putting seed in for germination...
I did not know until recently that this strain is also of purple variety. This was the weakest of the four plants as of last post, but has turned out to be a champion seedling. It's gonna be interesting to see how this grow, a multi-strain grow, will be a tight race with one plant pulling ahead and falling behind all the time. I have not lowered or raised the light at all, yet some phenos have stretched and some have not:
DSC010957.JPG

DSC010966.JPG

Purple Crack - three weeks from visible sprouting...
This is a nutrient-hungry strain so far, as I have had to feed it twice as often as its neighbor, GDP. I am still feeding all plants with low ppm solution mixed with General Hydroponics three-part Flora-series, which is 100% synthetic:
DSC010987.JPG

Granddaddy Purple - three weeks from visible sprouting...
As you can see, as I was feeding this one, it toppled over as I bumped my hand into it as I watered it, about which I have something to say... I have had enormous success especially in the seedling stage, with pouring water or solution through a medium wide funnel, where there is enough coming down fast enough that it "knocks out" old and depleted solution locked up in the medium. I have tried this with several grows now. I point out that this is only of viable importance in the seedling stage with small containers because you are not giving it much at one time. Obviously, with bigger containers you have enough that you are trying to pour on where it doesn't matter how fast it goes through as long as you flood the top. This ties into knocking the seedling over because that's what I was trying to do when I was watering, and you must be very careful when dumping not to destroy the seedling by bumping it. Luckily, I had some small plastic stakes and plastic ties to prop it up and save it:
DSC01099.JPG

An observation:
The GDP is stretching and focusing too much energy on growing more stem and not enough energy on new branches, as I have concluded that this is what happens when plants stretch too much.

I chose to FIM the Granddaddy Purple to stop the stretching, while at the same time taking advantage of certain perks, like keeping a tall enough stem as a good mainline for water and nutrients. I never like to top or FIM too early anymore in order to develop a larger stalk:
DSC011017.JPG

Hope all is well in your world.

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom