HedoneSpirit's First Pre To Post Indoor Grow Journal: 600W & Veg Bulb

Phalangeal_Worrior

Months and months of planning has lead me to only having a near choice of how I will grow. Starting from scratch is tuff, choice is crippling!

I must thank the 420 community. Not for helping me choose, but for opening my eyes to the unlimited combinations. Seeing experienced and inexperienced gardens was a kick start to my veg education.

So I will inform this journey what I have chosen to buy or thinking about buying. Reminder that I will not spend a penny until my student loan come in. Start date late September 2017

I'm in a weird position to start a journal, due to not even knowing what I'm going to grow or how, but I think it may make it more exciting

I have a Feminised Chocolate OG seed which I'll grow. Which leaves space for four more plants. I'm thinking critical+ (due to high yeild and good smoking experience) and/or super silver haze (due to good reviews)

Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? I want to focus on hybrids.

Is it in Veg or Flower stage? Once I get my seeds in to flower I would like to start a perpetual grow and nearly always be in both states
The timing of flower I want shorter but veg I don't mind a longer period, to give me time to dry the harvest in the tent

Size of tent = bud box 1.2 X 1.2 X 2

If soil... what is in your mix? Coco and perlite (maybe another?)
If soil... What size pot? Smart pots appropriate sizes
Size of light? Bay6 600w HID (Northstar reflector),, a digital ballast and a veg light (undecided)
Is it aircooled? Yes, with a eco 6" extraction kir
Temp of Room/cab? Not sure, will be in spare room. I can use house heating to warm it up but cooling it down would be tricky
RH of Room/cab? I'll try my best to control this
PH of media or res?N/A. Meter will be present
Any Pests ? Not invited
How often are you watering? I plan on watering once a day with disired nutes any extra will be with out nutes.
Type and strength of ferts used? Advice on this would be helpful. All the essentials and more

I plan to spend a fair start up amount to get a return (I hope)
If a GPW is good, I'd be over the moon to get 300g back from my 600w.
Quick question. if I'm veging with a lower wattage light would I expect to be loosing out of yeild? Would it be avoided if I just vegged for a longer amount of time?

I'm hoping you grand people will tune and chime in. It may be a slow start and there may not be a finish but there will be motion.

P.S. any advice on cost cutting would be a blessing.

Thank you community. HS x

re: HedoneSpirit's First Pre To Post Indoor Grow Journal - 600W & Veg Bulb

I'll start by posting my space. I've got opportunity.

420-magazine-mobile1667046906.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1475406020.jpg

I'll try to use the wardrobe as the veg room, however I rent so renovation is limited :/

re: HedoneSpirit's First Pre To Post Indoor Grow Journal - 600W & Veg Bulb

I forgot to mention I also have a seed of bubba's gift which I'll be interested to grow but not first time round as it's relatively low yeilding. But the effects are meant to be top notch.

a)

If using soil, my simple mix worked fine for me :
Mix == BM6 50% (can also be Pro-Mix) + Shrimp Compost(1-1-1) 20% + Perlite 30%
I did not feed any nutes (no need) for 3-4 weeks.

b) Pot sizes : I used smart pots in 3Gal. I vegged only 4 weeks. If planning to veg longer, 5 gal pots would be better. I will not use smart pots again because I'll try air pruning rigid pots. 5Gal.

c) Watering : I underestimated the chore it was to water so often as plants are often thirsty at different times. Bigger pots mean watering less often. It seems like nothing, but at the end of 4 months, it's a different story.

d) Pests are uninvited... but they don't care. Watering 1 per day ? IME when you think your plants are dry... they're probably not dry enough. I suggest testing their limits (be careful with seedlings in small pots) by observing them and waiting until you see a sign of distress (leaves dropping). Then you know their limit and back-off a bit. Watering often is an invitation for fungus gnats, witch I had.

Heat + RH + airflow + size of pot will influence how fast your soil dries.
==> Low temps + >60%RH + big pots = less watering.
==> High temps + low RH + small pots = watering often.

e) Strains : Mostly sativa hybrids like s.s.Haze (75% sativa) may grow quite tall. Others, mostly-indica, may grow small and more bushy. Having a single space with a single light, maybe focus on similar strains height-wise ? Also take into consideration the height of the plants from the floor + height of the plants in flowering + clearance for the light...

It is possible to grow a short sativa, with a short veg period as they will stretch a lot when put in flowering. Some plants could double or even triple in height after veg when put into flowering. Having different strains with very different final heights could be a p.i.t.a.

a)

b) Pot sizes : I used smart pots in 3Gal. I vegged only 4 weeks. If planning to veg longer, 5 gal pots would be better. I will not use smart pots again because I'll try air pruning rigid pots. 5Gal.

c) Watering : I underestimated the chore it was to water so often as plants are often thirsty at different times. Bigger pots mean watering less often. It seems like nothing, but at the end of 4 months, it's

Hello, thank you kindly for you insight. Always a pleasure hearing the tips of the experienced
I'm a bit of an all or nothing kind of person, and i am trying to figure a successful set-up. Whether I'm effective or not I won't mind (it's a learning curve) but I disire my initial equipment to be effective at its job.
So the research continues..

a)

Have you tried/thought about the other alternatives of grow medium e.g Coco?

Shrimp compost? New to me. If that's not a brand then I don't think it's a UK product. They'll be alternatives.

b)

Wow... Air pruning pots. Almost sifi, with a reasonable price. I'm fairly set on topping my plant to try and increase efficiency, however. I've learnt that topping your plant causes you plant to grow its root horizontally. Should I think about buying wider pots?

c)

I hadn't thought about this in the same way as you.

I have thought on big pot size, enabling me to choose to veg for longer whilst I flower/harvest another party.

Bud and growing bud is surely bringing out my inner geek. So many variables. :8

a)

c) Watering : I underestimated the chore it was to water so often as plants are often thirsty at different times. Bigger pots mean watering less often. It seems like nothing, but at the end of 4 months, it's a different story.

I see what your saying. Ill look in to more about not over watering. I need to find a method to suit a routine of checking on the plants twice a day max. This principle should be quite natural to learn as I'm exercised with simpler house/garden plants.
e) Strains : Mostly sativa hybrids like s.s.Haze (75% sativa) may grow quite tall. Others, mostly-indica, may grow small and more bushy. Having a single space with a single light, maybe focus on similar strains height-wise ? Also take into consideration the height of the plants from the floor + height of the plants in flowering + clearance for the light...

It is possible to grow a short sativa, with a short veg period as they will stretch a lot when put in flowering. Some plants could double or even triple in height after veg when put into flowering. Having different strains with very different final heights could be a p.i.t.a.

Exciting subject. I take what you say heavily. It would be wise for me to grow similar strains. I should avoid tall plants as it would be disastrous to run out of space. Would topping and other techniques enable my to control the height taller strains to be sustained in a 2meter space? I'm a fan of Ms Sativa. And idea I had with hight difference is just to simply raise the shorter plants whilst I can.

Since making this post I've been reading about genetics and concluded that buying a trusted strain from a highly rated source. Still yet to find a highly rated source.

Time to grow is coming soon. Unfortunately learning more isn't preparing me more. Ah well.

Now I'm considering The whole different selection of lights. Should I get a 1200 watt LED >£300 which uses less electric than a 600w HID it's rated well but there are complains about its use in the flowering stage. Hmm. Maybe I'll just use LED for veg since it has low energy costs.

My aim is to have the equipment to be able to attain the .5pg and my skills to follow.

Talk about unfinished journals, this isn't even decided.
Speaking to a national company about a discount bulk buy. Apparently that's a thing, save ten%

Coco medium ? No, I wanted organic soil. Coco is an inert medium, you need to feed nutes from the start, it's more like growing hydro. With composted soil, it takes a while before you need to supplement the soil with ferts.

Shrimp compost : Any compost will do (except forest/tree compost). You have to know what N-P-K the compost has. Mine was (1-1-1) witch I thought was perfect and not too hot.

Air pruning pot : No big sci-fi there. Just a regular plastic pot, but with holes to let it breathe. The result is similar to an Air-Pot. Check this video

You can also see one of my finished pots at the bottom of page 19 of my log.

Topping plants causing to grow roots horizontally ? Roots just grow where they can, and fill the space. In a hard pot they eventually get root-bound and circle the sides and bottom of the pot. In air-pots or fabric-pots (smart pots) or my air-pruning-pots : when the roots reach the air they prune themselves and no longer grow in that direction. The plant sends new roots from the center. You have more roots (and no root bound) in those kinds of pots. More roots = bigger plant.

Should I think about buying wider pots? I'd say minimally 5 gallons for a 4 month grow in smart-pots. I'd say 7 gallons in hard pots. Bigger is generally if you can fit that in your grow space. I grew a little more than 3 months in 3 Gal smart-pots and its smallish.

Sativa strains : Sativas get taller, they grow slower (flowering 10-12+ weeks), and may be more difficult for the novice I think. Your best bet for a first grow would be a robust-and-easy Hybrid. If you prefer sativas, choose some strain that has a more sativa-like effect, grows short (80-120cm indoors / 120-180cm outdoors), with short flowering period (7-8-9 weeks). Ex: Pinneapple-Kush is a robust hybrid of Pinneapple x O.G.Kush that flowers in 7-8 weeks.

The time draws nearer, my plan becomes more whole.

A new plan.

I'll will be growing hydroponically in a bubbler. This will save effort and mess. I've been told that it's not as easy to grasp as grow mediums but I don't see why.

My strains have been ordered.
- Kush (BP recommendation)
- critical +
They have similar growing times, climate and hight. I've never tried pineapple but is well reviewed

I've also added a 400+w T5 for seedling and young growth. This'll means I can start the next batch in the last month of flowering saving a wee bit of time.

After my first grow I want to create a veg area using LED as my energy source. Any recommendations of VEG lighting would be appreciated.

The time draws nearer, my plan becomes more whole.

A new plan.

I'll will be growing hydroponically in a bubbler. This will save effort and mess. I've been told that it's not as easy to grasp as grow mediums but I don't see why.

My strains have been ordered.
- Kush (BP recommendation)
- critical +
They have similar growing times, climate and hight. I've never tried pineapple but is well reviewed

I've also added a 400+w T5 for seedling and young growth. This'll means I can start the next batch in the last month of flowering saving a wee bit of time.

After my first grow I want to create a veg area using LED as my energy source. Any recommendations of VEG lighting would be appreciated.

I'll be interested to follow your hydro grow. I don't know sh.. about hydro.

Strains : Nice choice. Did you go with the [Pineapple_express x OG Kush] or the [Pineapple x OG Kush] lineage ? I know Royal Queen sells the second and others sell the first one, witch are different lineages. But anyway, the mysterious Pineapple is a kind of "legendary/unknown" origin.

Veg lighting : You know me... CFL's for me ;-) Check out MF's 2nd grow log, he's using CFLs with good results.
MotaFina - 2nd Indoor Grow - Damnesia & Special Kush - Supersoil - HID

The pinapple Kush is from RQS. I haven't found the second cross strain. Probably is just pinapple. The critical + is actually critical Kush as well. Both OG crosses.
I did want variety but I'll wait until a later time to try more extravagant grows.
These varieties are good for fighting anxiety :) probably the only thing I suffer when I smoke (apart lack of motivation and a disire for junk foods)

My partner has chronic back pain so body relaxers are a huge bonus. I'll need to find two suitable strains to grow together. One a body relaxant, the other a motivator for my studies.

Ah CFLs thats a very robust option. I'm struggling to find a suitable choice though. The higher watt ones are to big for me to use multiple and the smallest ones means I'd have to by a lot a lot. I'm hoping there's a 600w led that uses about 400w and gives good results but I can't find trusted information. Maybe a 400w MH light will have to work.
Alternatively I get a duel spectrum 400w and grow autos. This way I get a smaller crop every 2-3 months whilst waiting for my larger one. This way I get the variety desired... Hhhmmm choices

Im up in the air on this i have 2 1500 watt leds on 3 plants a piece im seeing small buds so im going to get a professional over to help get our stuff working correctly trellised correctly its weird you see grows with 300 watt leds get ounces confusing

Im up in the air on this i have 2 1500 watt leds on 3 plants a piece im seeing small buds so im going to get a professional over to help get our stuff working correctly trellised correctly its weird you see grows with 300 watt leds get ounces confusing
It's sounds like the wattage should be given you more. I here the expense spent on leds shows in the results. I've heard plenty people say that marshydro and VS don't quite have the spectrum you need. Reading reviews I've heard that LEDs at least are good for vegging and since they draw lower electricity seems like a good bet.

I like that HID has the two separate bulbs. This should mean that the energy I put into veg or flower it optimal whereas, LEDs have a set-up for both veg and flower. This may mean during veg the plants may be getting undesired red spectrum and vice versa for flower.
Therefore waste energy

I'm trying to grow the most with as little electricity draw. I've come to the conclusion to play it safe with HID in the future I'll advance to more advanced versions.

What company is yours made by? That wattage should definitely be an abundance.

Cheers, HS

Back
Top Bottom