Themaddabber's Hempy Bucket Bathtub Grow 2017

Welcome all to my second grow and first grow journal! After months of research and refreshing my knowledge of growing cannabis it is almost time to begin! I am just currently waiting for my strawberry kush seeds to arrive from 420, but am expecting them to arrive sometime this week *fingers crossed*

So a quick rundown of my plan for this grow and will list all the supplies, techniques, etc. In the subsequent post. After months of hint dropping and subtle persuasion my wife has agreed to let me use our 5 by 8 by 8 foot bathroom to grow in. I will primarily using the 3 by almost 5 foot shower/bathtub space to veg initially and it will become my flower area a few months later.

The idea is to start 1 or 2 seeds and develop a training method that will evenly fill out the entire tub space. But while the mother fills out that 3.5 x 2 foot screen (allowing another foot of growth in each direction during the stretch phase of preflowering) I will take 6 clones and just about as soon as they root flower 3 of them. Let the other 3 veg with mother a month or so before putting them ahead of the mother to flower with their little sister. This should give me a sort of perpetual harvest and allow me to get my growing bearings back as the plant sizes increase. Hopefully as the plant sizes increase so will my knowledge and experience :)

I am more than open to any and all suggestions and help from fellow 420ers!!! I'm going to compile my list of supplies and gear I hope to acquire throughout the grow. And my next post will have some some pics and details separated by category and sub category.

While I prepare for my next post I have already purchased sensi grow coco nutes A and B from advanced nutrients and rhino skin from advanced nutrients. I am looking to add other supplemental nutrients and as I have not purchased any yet, I was hoping to collect some suggestions from you all. I was thinking about b52, big bud, bud candy and nirvava from advanced nutrients as well. I like that they are pre Ph balanced and save me the cost of also buying Ph up and down as well as a Ph tester. But again am very curious to hear any and all suggestions!

Thanks all and welcome to my journal!

Grow on and grow strong!

-Dabber

I'm down for the journey! .
Hey great to have you! I'm just working on my follow up post with the grow supply details now should be posted here soon and hoping beans arrive today as I have reached the 12th day which 420 said was the average arrival time for shipments to the USA. But regardless shouldn't be long now!

Ok well I wasn't able to get my second part of my intro finished yesterday so here it Is!

SEEDS / GENETICS:

-I ordered STRAWBERRY KUSH seeds from 420. The description states 75% Indica and 25% sativa. High yielding easy to grow (resiliant) strain with a sweet taste and sandalwood aroma.

-I do plan on forcing a female clone to produce pollen and making feminized seeds at the end of this grow :)

LIGHTING:

-I mentioned yesterday I did some extensive research on spectra requirements for cannabis and have made my final decision to go with a HIGROW 600 watt from Am@zon. Yes, as we all know there are far better lights avalible but for the money I have and the blue coverage this light meets my exact needs for now. And also offered a 3 year warranty versus the 2 year average for most cheaper LED s sold by online retailers.
420-magazine-mobile1243018771.jpg

-I also plan to add a galaxy hydro when Flipping to 12/12 to add more red spectrum to the equation.

GROW MEDIUM:

As stated in the title I will be making my first attempt at a "hempy bucket". Since I successfully grew top fed DWC and ebb and flow on my first grow years ago, I thought it was appropriate to skip the easier soil route and go to something slightly more advanced yet not full blow hydro as there is extra work and cost involved.

-Top inch or 2 of bucket will be perlite
420-magazine-mobile1578477825.jpg

-Then I will use a mix of perlite and coco. I am thinking 1/3 perlite to 2/3 Coco, HOWEVER, IF YOU GET BETTER REAULTs WITH A DIFFERENT RATIO PLEASE POST YOUR SUGGESTED MIXTURE! That why this journal exists so I don't have to make mistakes others have and can quicken the learning curve!

-Finally 100% perlite from the bottom of the bucket up over my holes.

-The container is a 3 gallon sterile wash bucket

420-magazine-mobile1975700345.jpg

NUTRIENTS and SUPPLEMENTS:

-Advanced Nutrients Sensi grow A and B for coco coir.

420-magazine-mobile872796580.jpg

-I also purchased rhino skin from A.N. But realized it's active ingredient is already in the sensi grow formula so I emailed A.N. And am waiting on a response for whether or not it is needed as to exchange it or not.

420-magazine-mobile399238413.jpg

-Also as I mentioned I am considering 2 or 3 supplements to add to the above list. I was thinking bud candy and big bud also by A.N. because of the Ph perfect formula and saving the money on Ph up/ down and a tester. AGAIN PLEASE OFFER ANY SUPPLEMENT SUGGESTION YOU THINK WOULD WORK WELL WITH THE NUTRIENTS MENTIONED ABOVE. Thank you!

GROW SPACE AND TRAINING:

-Obvious but a bathroom and the tub area will be the flower area (and light proofed in time for 12/12 lighting)

- one fundamental reason for this grow journal is to develop a training method that will fill out the tub space in an ordinary bathroom and maximize the yield for 1 plant grown in said area. It will incorporate topping. Light stress tranning in a manifold/ mainlining style with influences of a flux method I have been following as well as scrogging. In total honesty I'm gonna kind of winging it, and do not expect the first try to be perfect! But more give myself a good idea of what to change so after 3 or 4 "bathtub grows" there will be more method to my madness. Regardless should be fun and at the very least I'm getting a chance to grow the medicine I so dearly love.

OTHER TIDBITS:

-I have a Honeywell desk fan I will use just to get started and plan on adding another like it as well as 2 small oscillating fans to the grow space as time progresses

420-magazine-mobile392710734.jpg

-With the growspace being in a bathroom with loud acoustics and bedrooms nearby I decided this inline fan was quiet and strong enough to add with a carbon filter when the stank becomes too much aka when wife begins to complain ;)

420-magazine-mobile623383248.jpg

-I will also obviously use a thermometer to monitor temperature and humidity. And TDS meter to slowly introduce nutes to the babies

.... And that's all folks at least for today! ...well for now lol. Thanks for putting up with my rambling and hopefully together we can make this an entertaining, exciting, and informative journal for new and experienced growers alike who share our love and dedication to growing!!! Grow on and Grow strong friends and until next time...

Dabber out!

Ok well sad news is. Still no strawberry kush seeds... And since I was feeling a surge of optimism and my sixth sense was tingling that they would arrive today I started rinsing perlite mixing coco (decided with 1 to 1 perlite to coco). Well I was sad when not so much as coupons arrived in the mail :/ I went out to blaze one and there it was like a diamond in the rough! A beautiful little bag seed from a 21% thc strain :) long story short the beans in h20 now!
420-magazine-mobile1628917319.jpg

Even if it doesn't pop I'm confident it will lower my anxiety about my other seeds for a while. Which puts my mind at ease.

So here are a few shots of the rinse and hempy bucket build. I still plan on topping it off with 100% perlite. Heard that helps bug probs so what the hell. Not sure if I will use the bucket for the bag seed but have a 30 gal container full so there are plenty of other options :)

420-magazine-mobile1230245665.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1101509936.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1066560986.jpg

420-magazine-mobile221094234.jpg

Some proof there too of why it's always a good idea to rinse your medium first eh? Yuck... Well hopefully she'll pop her in the next few days! Till next time

-Dabber

Well there was an unexpected ring of the doorbell and the beans are here they did show up just to the wrong address! Popped one of them into water. I will keep the bag seed and the S. Kush in water for 36 hours then into soil. It's like Christmas but better :) so stoked to be starting this adventure! I'll be dreaming of tap roots....

420-magazine-mobile1940194211.jpg

Here's the little lady freshly afloat. Seeds seemed a lol small to me but what do I know! I was gonna use the bigger one in the corner of the bag but a medium one slipped past. I didn't want to alter fate so we're going with the medium gal. 3 are good looking robust seeds one is like the 3 but bigger and them there is one little girl who seems a little lighter but certianly not preme by my guesstamation. Check In tomorrow.

--Dabber

I'm in.... looking to try hempy myself after this run... I heard you can get better yield than with soil
Yea I have heard that as well! Unfortunately I don't think I chose a large enough container and have been told it's hard to transplant hempy. I'm debating going to a 5 gal but I already have the 3 gallon ready to roll... I may just have to scale back the size I want her to grow to, and go with 2 plants in 3 gallon containers to fill the the tub space so I'm not worried about transplanting or not having sufficient room for root growth. And go bigger on round 2. But my training will need to change accordingly too.... so I dunno. Lots to consider. But yeah I've heard lots of great things about hempy! As easy as soil with a lot of perks of hydro. Think I will end up w. DWC but thought hempy is a solid place to start to get my bearings back :)

Quoted from sweetsue in the hempy headquarters thread.... jump over and take a look got some pretty useful information ...when I asked her about transplanting in hempy and how it works and if it was difficult this was her response. "This is one of the easiest parts of the process. You plug the hole, fill with water, grab the stem and wiggle it right out of the medium. Then you simply hold it into the next pot and gently fill in around with more perlite, water and go. They never show anything other than joy at gaining more root space. No transplant shock has ever occurred in my little hempire." Hope this helps you ease your mind of transplanting it sounds pretty simple
Yea I have heard that as well! Unfortunately I don't think I chose a large enough container and have been told it's hard to transplant hempy. I'm debating going to a 5 gal but I already have the 3 gallon ready to roll... I may just have to scale back the size I want her to grow to, and go with 2 plants in 3 gallon containers to fill the the tub space so I'm not worried about transplanting or not having sufficient room for root growth. And go bigger on round 2. But my training will need to change accordingly too.... so I dunno. Lots to consider. But yeah I've heard lots of great things about hempy! As easy as soil with a lot of perks of hydro. Think I will end up w. DWC but thought hempy is a solid place to start to get my bearings back :)

Awesome info I hadn't really thought of it like that I guess! Makes sense tho the collection roots just grow back down into new bigger resivour. Definitely gonna check that out. Thanks again!

Rinsed more coco and perlite

420-magazine-mobile1828359512.jpg

Prepared some homes for my baby girls tomorrow morning. With a higher coco to perlite ratio. Seemed wise as it will help retain moisture. After 36 hours in filtered water.

420-magazine-mobile834167694.jpg

Both seeds sank today. Good sign. S. Kush seed is swelling nicley and appears to progressing nicely. Cant wait to finally be posting pictures of plants instead of pictures of dirt.

Nice, MadDabs!

Love me some Strawberry Kush. Smoked it only once.

Sub'd.
Right on great to have you! Hopefully I can get my girls looking half as good as yours :) let the fun begin

Right on great to have you! Hopefully I can get my girls looking half as good as yours :) let the fun begin
Glad to be here. I'm sure you'll knock it out the park. Off to a great start.

Also, this wonderful community is an invaluable resource for experienced and rookie growers alike. Always great to learn new things and think outside the box.

I like the tub rig. May we see a shot of it? .

Catalina will be my first complete grow. I've had so much help and inspiration from awesome 420 members!

Drumroll please!!! And we have a tap root! :) sorry but I'm excited, weeks of waiting for this!!! I will update with shots soon. Today I also have the, dare I say pleasure, of cleaning the grow space AKA bathroom. Not my favorite part of the process but a vital and neccisarry one that should be a breeze with all the excitement pumping through my veins at 830 am!

Drumroll please!!! And we have a tap root! :) sorry but I'm excited, weeks of waiting for this!!! I will update with shots soon. Today I also have the, dare I say pleasure, of cleaning the grow space AKA bathroom. Not my favorite part of the process but a vital and neccisarry one that should be a breeze with all the excitement pumping through my veins at 830 am!
Found you.

A very good morning to all!! So the strawberry kush has officially popped :)

420-magazine-mobile1486249163.jpg

Didn't realize the pic came out so crappy but the white blurry bit is our taproot.

I buried her root down about 1/2 inch down in the coco dominant coco perlite mix.

420-magazine-mobile1514563635.jpg

Now the waiting game. Expecting her to make an appearance early next week. Debating whether to name her "tubitha" or "Harriet Tubbman"

Hopefully bag seed pops by tonight if not I'll transfer her to a paper towel to germ. I understand seeds can't drown till day 5 but maybe a change of environment will snap her out of it... her shell that is :)

A very good morning to all!! So the strawberry kush has officially popped :)

420-magazine-mobile1486249163.jpg

Didn't realize the pic came out so crappy but the white blurry bit is our taproot.

I buried her root down about 1/2 inch down in the coco dominant coco perlite mix.

420-magazine-mobile1514563635.jpg

Now the waiting game. Expecting her to make an appearance early next week. Debating whether to name her "tubitha" or "Harriet Tubbman"

Hopefully bag seed pops by tonight if not I'll transfer her to a paper towel to germ. I understand seeds can't drown till day 5 but maybe a change of environment will snap her out of it... her shell that is :)
Nice. Maybe hold off on the names till u think of something better lmao. I asked my wife to name the girls. She came up with some yesterday so I'll pick n give the names later

Back
Top Bottom