Indoor: 4x4 Tent
Hydro. DWC 5 Gallon Containers
1500W King Plus LED
Room Temps 70F-80F
RH 60% give or take
PH 5.8-6.0
GH Trio Plus Hydroguard

Starting my first grow!

Spent countless hours reading grow journals and information on the web. For every grow method there's a counter method so I chose what made the most sense to me. Keeping detailed journal and spreadsheets on the grow as well.

Seeds are Green Crack from Crop King. Germinated 4 and all came up. Used Xlr8's method. First leaves got a little twisty but they seem to be much better with 2nd and 3rd set. Figure this would be a good first strain to grow. Will be attempting a SCROG for them.

Location is in my basement. Steady temps and RH down there with radiant heat in the concrete. I can set the floor at 64F and have the pots on it. Air is 67F when I do that. RH is about 58%.

Tent is a cheap brand 4x4 from Wally World. Seems ok. Light leak check was good on it. Couple spots had to gorilla tape.

Right now running 4" carbon filter with 200cfm fan for extraction. 100CFM intake booster. 2x 6" static clip on fans and an 18" oscillating fan running on low right now. I know I may need to upgrade to 6" depending on what's needed. Temps are set for 75F with the intake fan coming on at 80F. Seems to sit steady around 79F.

1500W King PLus LED. I know it' s a cheap one but there were some good reviews so I figure a good place to start on the cheap. Running it at 30". Just lowered to 26" to see how they do. 20/4 Light cycle.

Home made DWC. EcoPLus 18W air pump for 4 buckets using 4" round stones. 6" Net pots. Hydroton media. Added side level hose with marks.

Seeds sprouted 8/22 in Rapid Rooters. Moved to DWC 4 days later on 8/26. Starting my weeks from 8/26.

Using GH trio and hydroguard. Following a schedule I found online which is basically 1/8th first week. 1/4 2nd, 1/2 third and on. Will let the plants tell me more/less as I go.

DWC Temps rose to 73F the first couple days so I'm doing 12hr 18oz frozen bottle swaps. Not a big deal and temps stay between 67F-70F by doing this.

Running a small Cool Mist humidifier to get RH up to 60%. Have a humidifier/dehumidifier controller but not using at this point. Refill it once a day.

Will post pics in a few. Uploaded some sideways so need to redo them lol.

Follow along if you like and join in/ comment on what I may be doing right or wrong! Thanks!

Will get some pics without the Blurple Light

IMG_531410.JPG
IMG_53116.JPG
IMG_53127.JPG

Here's my nutes feeding spreadsheet and my journal.
I have a bunch of different things I can change on the sheet to calculate my nutrient amounts by formulas in the cells. Also made one to calculate top off amounts but realized that there is no easy way calculate how much of WHICH nutrient the plants have been absorbing in order to replenish correctly. Will just watch the PPM's (or EC if you hate PPM LOL) and decide from there.

Day 9 (Day 1 was seedling transfer to DWC.

Did my water and nute change yesterday. Let water sit for 24 hours then PH'd again to 5.8. I had the water 1" over the bottom of the pot the first week and set at net level this time. One thing I noticed was some roots coming out the side instead of bottom and I assume this was from the water level. They didn't need to search? Hoping the lower level will encourage downward growth.

Day 10
Home early form work and was here for them to come out of dark cycle. First time I witnessed that. They were kind of droopy! Freaked me out a bit. As usual I checked the PH first and it went WAY high. 6.7. I ph'd each bucket back to 5.8. This happened last week as well. It took 2 days to stabilize. I am using my well water which has a PH of 6.8 and PPM of 79. Maybe I should let the soup sit for 2 days and see if it does that before changing?

One HUGE question I have had is where should my light height be set (King Plus 1500w). I have been at 30" but that's just a guess from the manufacturer on height. Was afraid to burn them. Finally found a video on my actual light by Cody Oebel and he had his 24" above his plants for 600 PAR. Finally something to go by! Trying it at 24" to see what happens. I have the uMol chart for it and according to the fall off I'd be at ~260Par on the edges of the tent at this height. For flower I'd need to bring down to 12" to get 600Par on the outside edges with over 1100 at the center. Might be better off getting a 2nd light for flower. Will deal with that when the time comes I guess!

One back and forth I was reading was about adding CalMAg to DWC under LED. 50% yes 50% not needed when using GH Trio. LOL. I have some I am using for a side grow in COCO but not adding to DWC right now. I don't see any deficiencies yet so am keeping a KISS attitude about it. Wait and see if needed. My well water could have these as also. Should probably get a friggin water test at some point LOL.

OK that's it for today!

IMG_53355.JPG

IMG_53369.JPG

Also I've just seen you plan to Scrog these? Have you thought about how you will do reservoir changes etc if you can't move the plant? I wanted to scrog mine but due to having to lift the plant up 6+ inches off the rim of the bucket to change the res I couldn't find an easy way to do it.

Yes I do plan to scrog. Hoping to maximize space and yield. I'm totally with you on how to change the reservoir challenge. Have read for hours about it. Found this one guy that uses a battery powered pump so bought one and it works great! I have been using it to transfer from 5 gallon bucket of mix into measuring pitcher for watering coco too.

I have a 2" hole cut in my lids covered by a duct tape flap that allows me access. (Fold the duct tap over onto itself leaving an inch to stick) It's working so far.

When in scrog I'll have to place through the canopy or else use another small transfer pump I own for draining the hot tub. Unfortunately I won't be able to clean them like now but I don't see how others would either.

If it becomes a huge pain for this grow then next time I might add an outside reservoir. Guess I'll find out!

The Sierra tools pump. $16

420-magazine-mobile37454668.jpg

Okay cool. Mine are a about 6 days post germination I believe.
420-magazine-mobile1469328690.jpg

Or maybe 5. I dunno.

That's about where mine were. My first set of leaves were all wavy and twisted which freaked me out but they grew out of it. Admittedly I kind of rushed my setup. Got my seeds and an hour later they were soaking I was so excited. I didn't even have my room finished and only 1 cfl build kicking around to put over them so I think they were abused a bit.

That's about where mine were. My first set of leaves were all wavy and twisted which freaked me out but they grew out of it. Admittedly I kind of rushed my setup. Got my seeds and an hour later they were soaking I was so excited. I didn't even have my room finished and only 1 cfl build kicking around to put over them so I think they were abused a bit.
That's what I did lol. Opened n went in water right away. 12 hours later poked an n they dropped then paper towel. No time wasted. Waaaaayyyyyy too much excitement.

Day 11

Hey all!
PH was better but still a little high tonight. 6.3 so brought down to 5.8 - 5.9. If it follows last week it will stabilize now. Had the light at 26" but they looked a little hagard from it so I raised back to 30". Tips looked curled down a bit. In the pics the front left one has great roots in the water and the other three are just getting theirs now so I think that's why they look a little droopy. Temps in tent and water are good. 78F in tent and water fluctuates between 68F-70F. I think they should all pic up in the next few days. When I saw the 4th node my brain said TOP!! Then my logic side cut in and said to wait for the 5th or 6th and when they are healthier and rooted well LOL. The clay in the pics looks wet because I took my turkey baster (mmm turkey) and wet them down. Read a journal where that helped while they were establishing roots. I will say the nodes are extremely tight and these look more indica than sativa right now but short is better in the tent for sure.

2nd set of pics is another room I built for vegging and clones when I did my setup. I thought "What the hell.. try some auto's in COCO while you wait" The plants are Black Jack from Sensible Seeds. One is a Super Uzi. Free seeds and only got 1 of 4 to germinate. Boo. Probably my fault. They are on day 11 from sprouting and one will be topped in the next day or two. 3 more a couple days after that. The #5 is a week old and the #6 I just soaked, put in Rapid Rooter and into the COCO to see how if it does better than transplanting like I did with the others.

Ok that's it for day 11!

Getting better at pics. :)

IMG_53466.JPG

Front left one looking the best.

IMG_53514.JPG

IMG_53529.JPG

So I lost track of which was the Super Uzi auto but I'm thinking the one with the pipe cleaner as it is just getting 4th node and will need to be topped in the next couple days. The other 3 at the same age all look the same.

IMG_53538.JPG

Back
Top Bottom