Jay's Move From SCROG To SOG - Jock Horror - Aurora Indica - & Papaya

JayCseed

Photo of the Month - Jan 2018
Welcome to my second grow journal here at 420magazine! My last grow was my first scrog and although I liked the control it gave me over training my plants I found it difficult to perform maintenance on the back portions of the plant because I couldn't move the plants around.

So for this grow I will be keeping the plants short with a quick veg time and using LST to even things out along with a topping or two... does that still qualify as a sog?? lol

Here is what I will be growing this time: All seeds are from Nirvana seeds
IMG_146444.JPG

Jock Horror - Regular} A three-way hybrid of Northern Light, Skunk and Mexican Haze.

Papaya - Regular} A cross of Jock Horror x Skunk #1

Aurora - Regular} A F1 half breed of Afghan and Northern Lights

I will be growing in FFOF mixed with some extra perlite and some Marine Cuisine 10-7-7. I haven't decided what size pot they will finish up in, thinking either 2-3 gallon.
I will also be using FoxFarm Dirty dozen pack for all my nutes.
IMG_146340.JPG
IMG_146236.JPG

Yesterday I prepped my veg tent with a good cleaning using mild bleach water. Its crazy how dirty things can get when their just sitting around. I'm running a 4 bulb T5 at 95 Watts and around 10,000 lumens. This is my starter and I plan to move everything over to my big tent under my 600 watt HID and 300 Watt LED once my current grow is finished in a few weeks.
IMG_146838.JPG

Yesterday I popped 2 seeds from each strain into some water to soak, I checked them 24 hrs later and all had cracked open.

IMG_146737.JPG
IMG_146641.JPG
IMG_146541.JPG

So tonight I put them into some straight FFOF soil and under the humidity dome inside the veg tent. Now we just wait to see what pops up!!

IMG_147339.JPG

So far so good.. just 3 days after planting into soil I have 1 of each strain fully sprouting out of the soil and the other jock horror starting to poke through the surface. It's only been 4 days since I dropped them into water. Probably the fastest sprouting I've ever had!

IMG_149330.JPG
IMG_149228.JPG
IMG_149129.JPG

As of now we have both Jock Horror up and running, and 1 Aurora and 1 Papaya.
It looks like the other Aurora isn't going to sprout, dug it up and it had some stringy mold /fungus around it. My past experiences tells me it probably won't germinate so I've started soaking another Aurora seed.
The other Papaya looked like it was breaking the surface but upon further inspection she was upside down with the tap root on top, I carefully dug her up and flipped then lightly covered. Not sure if she will make it or not, I'll know in a day or two.

I planted the new Aurora seed yesterday and its starting to make its way to the surface :thumb:
The Papaya seed that I flipped was just barely poking through the surface for the past two days so I knew something was wrong. Dug it up and the top was barely attached to the tap root, at first I thought it was rotting but after looking closely I could see it was hollow where the two were connecting. I broke the hollow area and what comes wriggling its way out?? A damn fungus gnat larvae!! If you look at the pic of the tap root you can see it sitting on the inside "u" with its little black head on the left. I smashed it with my thumb and let out a big F-you!
This was a brand new bag of FFOF that you would Joe and wish was free of pests, granted it could be from me current grow but I have not seen any signs of FG anywhere. I just hope that the other sprouts don't fall victim before they can get established enough to treat the soil.

Anyway, I popped another Papaya seed into some water to soak for round two.
IMG_15371.PNG

Aurora #2 is now up above the soil and only a week behind the others. I decided not to drop another Papaya seed, I got another order of seeds the other day, all feminized so I'm thinking of going with one of those or sticking with what I've got going now. Maybe in a month I'll start another rotation with some different strains.

IMG_155243.JPG

Week one update: Not a whole lot going on just letting the girls get acclimated to their new home. They are all working on their 3rd leaf set and growth has been steady. I will start the FF nutrient schedule tomorrow at 1/2 recommend strength and then bump up to full in a week or two.

IMG_15592.PNG

Fed today till slight runoff, which isn't much because the pots are so small. PH'd to 6.2. I used the leftover to water some of the plants on my patio.
1gal water
3tsp FF Big bloom
1/2tsp FF Boomerang
1/4tsp FF Microbe Brew

Two weeks above the soil, things are moving along. Fifth leaf set is starting to shower should be up enough for me to top them tomorrow. I plan to transplant into 2gal pots next week then take clones in 2-3 weeks. Then it will be flower time!

IMG_163730.JPG
IMG_163934.JPG

Topped all the plants today at the 5th node except for Aurora#2, she got topped at the 3rd node.
Also fed today with full strength nute, water Ph'd to 6.2.
1gal water
3 tsp Big Bloom
1 tsp Grow Big
1 tsp Boomerang
.5 tsp Kangaroots
.5 tsp Microbe Brew

I also picked up 6 2gal white square pots today from the local hydro shop. They fit perfectly inside the tent with a little extra room on the sides if I need it.

Transplant day! I ran out of my home made soil mix after 4 pots so I decided to experiment and see how the Jock Horror does in my mix and in just FFOF. They will have another 10 days of veg and then it's time to flip...

IMG_166238.JPG

Today is week four and day 28. I ran about 1 1/2 gallons of plain water Phd to 6.2 through each pot, I noticed a lot of salt buildup collecting at the drain holes so I wanted to flush out some buildup. I tested the collective runoff, (all the pots drain out of the tent into the same bucket) and the Ph was 6.4. Next flush I will do individually so I can make sure each plant is in the right range.

Tomorrow I am taking the two plants in front to my buddies, one Aurora and one Jock Horror. They are going into his aquaponic system, I am interested to see how they handle the transplant. We actually want to try some breeding so if they are male it's fine with us. With two plants leaving I will have room for 3 new strains. Now the hard part, deciding what to plant next!!

IMG_172637.JPG

And then there were 3, one of each strain. Today is day 34 and I started the 24 hrs of dark at 6pm. We will soon find out who's a she and who is not.

Front left: Papaya
Back left: Jock Horror
Right: Aurora

IMG_186337.JPG

One week post flip, new growth has been picking up and they all are filling out nicely. I am still running my MH lamp and probably will for another week or two. I was reading one some ones journal, can't remember who's about minimizing stretch by continuing to use blue vegging light spectrum in the first few weeks of flower. Thought I'd give it a try, so far all the plants have stayed relatively the same height as each other, we'll see if that continues. I did some defoling to both the Aurora and the Jock Horror, I didn't on the Papaya because I believe it's a male. I can already see what look like little balls on a few nodes.

Picture time...

Before the defol
IMG_191734.JPG
IMG_191835.JPG
IMG_191835.JPG

After
IMG_191940.JPG
IMG_192040.JPG

Day 16 of flower today, I went out of town for 4 days and when I came back my setup was off. At some point my main power strip tripped and shut everything down. I had a friend come and check on the plants in the tent and the one outside but he was there during the day when the lights are off and didn't realize that the exhaust fans were not running. Not sure how much that slowed them down but they seem to be doing fine and it could have been worse the lights could have been on the whole time instead of off and really fucked with the flower cycle!

IMG_198736.JPG

Here is Aurora, for starting a week behind the others she is just as tall. She doesnt have as tall of side branches as the others but she is doing great. No signs of female or male flowers yet but im sure they aren't fare away from showing.
IMG_199038.JPG

Here is Jock Horror, I saw 3 or 4 pistils on some of the nodes on top so I'm confident she is in fact a she!
IMG_198935.JPG

Here is Papaya, still not sure if what I am seeing is going to be male or female flowers. I will have to wait a little longer i guess.
IMG_198837.JPG

Back
Top Bottom