GreenThunder Grow Journal #1 - Four Strains In Coco - 1000W - Sprouted 8/15/17

GreenThunder

The Tribe:

- Bubba Kush; fem, auto; indica: Abby
- Unknown strain; bag seed; indica: JJ
- Sour Diesel; bag seed; sativa: Dianna
- Unknown strain; bag seed; sativa: Emily

My girls are in veg state; sprouted August 15 and put in 1 gallon felt containers August 20. Transferred to 5 gallon felt pots on Sept 10. I think I should have done this sooner and maybe skip the 1 gallon and just go right into their forever homes.

My material is "Tupur" brand containing coco fiber, aged forest materials, perlite, crushed basalt. For nutrients, I'm using "Hydroponic Research" brand Veg+Bloom N-P-K 8-5-13; feeding twice a day; and compost tea every other day. I have started a bit of LST on one of the sativa; and now I realize I should have learned more first and asked for guidance. I don't think it's a disaster, but I do feel I've stunted her a bit.

They started out in a closet with a T5 florescent, 24w/2000 Initial Lumens; 6400K full daylight spectrum (2 lights; 2 plants per light). At about 4 or 5 weeks, they will move into the tent: 4x4x6 with a 1000w HPS light with SunSystem Light Shield; Galaxy Legacy ballast (adjustable: 600, 750, 1000, turbo), and inline duct fan (120v ~60Hz .97A 115w).

I am a newbie; this is my second (3rd?) grow — I previously grew one plant which was harvested the night I posted this journal. I have found the BEST treatment for "Empty Nest Syndrome" to be a new hobby, complete with a tent and equipment. A great way to fill the newly empty space — both physical and emotional. I have been lurking around the forums for a few weeks and have learned so much — mostly that I have so much to learn! I am amazed at the generous sharing of info, knowledge, and experience.

I used to think that cannabis, being a 'weed' would grow with minimal care; while this may be true — a plant grown this way will produce a minimal harvest. A few years ago, I grew one in the closet with a cheap florescent bulb and rain water. There were buds but few, small, and light. Having seen some of the examples here, I want more, bigger and tight. With help I've found, I know I can do it.

Abby_and_JJ_Indicas.jpg

Dianna_and_Emily_Sativas.jpg

JJ_9_15_unk_Indica.jpg

Abby_9_15_Bubba_Kush_Indica.jpg

Emily_9_15_unk_sativa.jpg

Dianna_9_15_Sour_Diesel_sativa.jpg

Emily_9_13_17_too_much_pull.jpg

Re: GreenThunder Grow Journal #1; four strains in coco; indoor; 1000w; sprouted 8/15/

Welcome to 420 magazine. Your plants are looking great!

Re: GreenThunder Grow Journal #1; four strains in coco; indoor; 1000w; sprouted 8/15/

yeah looking nice ! going to pull up my chair if you dont mind passengers a journey awaits!

Hey GreenT, I'm along for the ride! Don't know much about indoor grows but wherever I can help I'll chime in.

What I do know is that you don't need anywhere near 1000 watts for your two plants, so save some $ on the electric bill. In order to use 1000 watts in that space you would have to be saturating the tent with CO2.

This from the 420 site:
Depending on the stage the plant is in, these values slightly differ, but generally speaking, these are the perfect values;

Light: 600 watt per 12 square feet
CO2: 350 ppm
Water: as required*
EC: between 1.0 and 2.0
pH: 6
Temperature: 77 degrees F
Humidity: 50-60%

With a 1000-watt HPS lamp, average 9.0 to 18 oz (36 for advanced growers) in a 5 x 5 x 8 ft grow room (with extra CO2 only)

Looking great so far!

The Tribe:

-Bubba Kush; fem, auto; indica: Abby
-Unknown strain; bag seed; indica: JJ
-Sour Diesel; bag seed; sativa: Dianna
-Unknown strain; bag seed; sativa; Emily

Update: still growing and appear healthy, despite the fact that I still have much to learn

Abby, our only known strain, Bubba Kush fem auto, has turned out to be the runt. Bag seeds are in the lead
Emily is shorter than her sativa sis, due to my fumbling LST man-handling but still looks strong.

In the past few weeks I've learned about pH Pretty major, and I'm thankful that I now know. And I was not watering/feeding quite enough... was still treating the coco as dirt (oops).

Getting some kinks worked out and still having a blast! BIG thanks again to all who have helped and continue to do so. Shout out to @InTheShed (do tags work here?) for awesome visuals on how to LST my gal Emily ✌ And I'll get this darn signature thing figured out yet... I'm usually pretty good with this kind of stuff

420-magazine-mobile1164816419.jpg

420-magazine-mobile140922444.jpg

I fell for a sales pitch Should I keep the ballast at 600 or 750? Or do I need a different bulb?

I'm sure that someone else with actual tent experience will chime in here, but the 420 site I quoted said 600w/12sf and your tent is at 16sf so you can probably stick to 600 for veg as your plants don't seem to be showing too much stretch, and not sure how high up the light is but you may even be able to lower it for now. When they're in flower I believe that's the time to raise the watts.

Indoor folks chime in and correct me if I'm off!

what are your projected light schedules for the auto and everybody else during veg and at what wattage?

Yes, 4 plants; 2 each sativa and indica, unknown strains except the one Bubba Kush fem auto.
They are on 24 with T5 florescents. 2 plants per bulb; 2 levels in a closet during veg. I don't know about watts.... the box says 24 but I'm not sure that's the same as what you're asking.
420-magazine-mobile1264208663.jpg

They are almost 4 weeks and I'm just guessing they will veg maybe 3-4 more? They will move into the tent for flowering on 12/12 light schedule.

Ok so that actual answers like 4 other questions I had lol. The t5s are ok I wouldn't use them for vegging if I was going to use a 1000w for flower. I would use the same light at 600w on 18/6 schedule then flower with the 1000w on a 12/12. And to answer your question yes the 24w is what I was looking for but again they will do better with more light.

I'm just trying to help lol

You're def helping! I'm just referencing stuff I've absorbed.

One thing I'm thinking might be a problem down the road is that there are 2 sativa and 2 indica in the same tent. The sativas will get taller than the indicas (and the LST indica will be even shorter!) which will make it more difficult to even the lighting to all plants. Plan ahead for the flowering tent to accommodate the different heights. Supercropping the tall ones might be a solution to look into.

Ok so that actual answers like 4 other questions I had lol. The t5s are ok I wouldn't use them for vegging if I was going to use a 1000w for flower. I would use the same light at 600w on 18/6 schedule then flower with the 1000w on a 12/12. And to answer your question yes the 24w is what I was looking for but again they will do better with more light.
I read early on that it's best to share as much info as possible.... I have been known to be a bit extreme
Thank you for the advice! I was wondering about the lighting and whether to continue with the t5. My instinct was it was time to retire them

Back
Top Bottom