MadeInUSA's Soil Blue Dream Grow Journal 2017

MadeInUSA

Hi,
It's an honor to be posting my first grow to 420's readers who I have found to be a knowledgeable and good group of people. I couldn't have made it to this point without all the direction, tips and insights I've read over the past months as I've prepared for this. I'm hoping you can guide me to a robust harvest and share your experiences as I share mine.

On to the grow...

What strain is it? 2 Blue Dream, 1 Pineapple Chuck, 1 Sour Lemon
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? All are Sativa
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? Veg
If in Veg... For how long? 3rd week
If in Flower stage... For how long?
Indoor or outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? Soil
If soil... what is in your mix? 2 parts FFOF + 1 part perlite
If soil... What size pot? 5 gallon smartpots
Size of light? CREE 256 LED
Is it aircooled? Yes
Temp of Room/cab?
RH of Room/cab? 81
PH of media or res? 6.6
Any Pests ? No
How often are you watering? Once a week
Type and strength of ferts used? Only used once - FF Big Bloom, Grow Big per schedule, with CalMagic, but I have experienced what I think is burn of some kind so backing off as I think the FFOF can carry me for awhile.

I transplanted from Solo to 5 gallon at week 2, put above nutes in and burned the lower leaves, I think. Or they were root bound in the Solo. In any case, the plants are looking good in general and all have been topped once. I fed/watered them heavy on transplant day on 9/16 and today will be day 8 since I've given them anything. I trenched the pot good , putting in 1/2 gallon per pot until a good cup or two ran out, checking runoff at 6.6 After watching the bottom leaves (which I think sat in nute water as I watered). I'm learning alot here. I learned that the FFOF is a "hot" mix which is good, now I know. The nutes took them over the edge a tad. I should not let my nute water touch my plants....check. Next few feedings will just be water.

One important thing I have learned from all of you - the importance of feeling the weight to determine watering. I bought a cheap water/light meter but it does not tell me anything, maybe its busted. The first few weeks I was watering the solo every 3 days, and was using Clonex Clone solution as my only nute at 1/2 strength. I was just watering because it was day 3. I'm getting smarter about letting the roots seek out the water in the pots now.

I've raised the pots off the ground today with shelving to get air under the pots. I might get water if they feel ready.

It's a 4x4 with forced fan air in and out of the tent (both fans inside the tent) with carbon filters both ends. The room is air conditioned and the exhaust is vented outside the sealed room. It's in 18 hr veg, starting week 4 from seed.

I have my lights about 20 inches from canopy. I'm feeling this is too low after checking manufacturer stating 24 to 30. I'll change it to 26 today, this may help lower my temp somewhat.

I'm giving some thought to doing a homemade CO2 solution, I need to source a solution for that.

Hey been meaning to ask folks this - In my first 2 weeks I had two 4 hour power interruptions during my light cycles. Normally power is not a problem, but I wonder how people deal with them, if anything. I need to know if I need to be doing something to compensate in that light cycle, if anything. Just my lights alone for veg/bloom is 500/650 watts so UPS is not practical (Well It can be done for $1875 for 4 hr run time, but I'm not going there).

Thanks in advance for those that subscribe and those that post, your advice is welcomed. Best of luck to your grows. I will post pics of my girls. This is my 2nd post on 420, so please steer me to the light switch. Thanks.

@Pharmgreen, LOL yes the smell of fresh journal is like that of a young plant, teaming with potential. Welcome!

Well, today I had my power go out again 3rd time in 1 month, this time only for 2 hours at 8am. My 18hr cycle is from 6am to midnight. I would think anytime the lights to the plants go out, it confuses them. Last thing I want are a bunch of hermaphrodites . Even total eclipses are only 2-3 min. This time it was caused by "animal" I am told by power co. I have this image of a squirrel up on a pole messing with wires. I am shocked (no pun intended) by the lack of resiliency of our power grid. The wife may just get her whole house generator after all.

Goodluck man. I'm in! I'm on my first, finishing her up now. I had 2 blue dream autos in there and man I was impressed. Humboldt seeds... The first I chopped at 8 weeks which was early and I still got just over an ounce. I have a journal up. The second is drying and it was let go until she was ready.... Honestly looking like it's going to be double the last so I was really pleased. Look forward to following yours!

These 9/25 photos show the plants 9 days since their last watering, Leaves happy pointed up. Pots felt a little heavy in weight, but was dry to the touch, down to depth of 3 inches, yet I decided to wait one more day to water. I'm not used to waiting this long to water these 5 gallon pots but the plants seem to grow even better when I do less with them lol. . I've experienced better growth in the past week since moving the light from 18 to 26 inches from canopy, It's kept the temp down the day degree high to 81 with RH of 55% - it gets down to 72 when the lights are out. I run the intake/exhaust and clipfan 24x7.
IMG_315823.JPG

IMG_316024.JPG

IMG_316118.JPG

IMG_316219.JPG

IMG_316316.JPG

ok slowly figuring things out day to day, post to post. Today was 10th day since last water, 2 pots felt ready to water, the other 2 were a day from it, decided to pull the trigger on watering them all. No nutes this time, its their off cycle for that. I think this journal will be helpful to document what I am doing, seeing etc as I go along. So each 5 gal pot got 2 qt of water, mixed with only 2 TSP of CalMag Plus, since I feed them RO water.

As you can see in the pics it does not take more than 15 min for the plants to start to droop as they fill with water. Basing on pot weight, next cycle I will wait 11 or 12 days before my next water. I will base my decision of whether to use nutes based on what I am seeing of the leaves. Right now I am seeing some new growth coming in a lighter shade of green that old growth. I will be noting what I view is going to happen this waterming cycle, is the FFOF will give to the girls what I am needing. Time will tell.

As far as power goes, I am pricing out different whole house options.

IMG_316416.JPG

IMG_316713.JPG

IMG_316816.JPG

IMG_317020.JPG

IMG_317117.JPG
IMG_317220.JPG
IMG_317321.JPG
IMG_317413.JPG
IMG_317514.JPG

My girls are growing like....weeds. Stopped in to take a look them. Pots are feeling on the dry side but I feel they have a day or two moisture left in the bottom half of them so going to let them ride it out. Leaves are looking healthy and not seeing any stress or pests. I am considering topping them for a 2nd time perhaps (1st time was 09/15 and they all have recuperated nicely from that), anyone have an opinion on if thats worth risk or if I'll see increased yield doing it a 2nd time?
IMG_319320.JPG
IMG_319219.JPG
IMG_319115.JPG
IMG_319023.JPG
IMG_318918.JPG
IMG_318826.JPG

I've gotten rid of that cuttings cup in the center of the fabric pots, that was an experiment to see if I could take my tops and get them to take root (the answer to that is no), I was feeding them my clone solution. I've heard people talk of using clone gel. Cloning is completely foreign to me. Next time I may try putting them in coco to see if that would make a difference.

I've gotten rid of that cuttings cup in the center of the fabric pots, that was an experiment to see if I could take my tops and get them to take root (the answer to that is no), I was feeding them my clone solution. I've heard people talk of using clone gel. Cloning is completely foreign to me. Next time I may try putting them in coco to see if that would make a difference.
SweetSue is a pro at taking clones. I recommend swinging by some of the mounds of information she has on her journals. You'll be an expert soon! :D Your girls are looking lovely. I'm still catching up on your journal.

I am considering topping them for a 2nd time perhaps (1st time was 09/15 and they all have recuperated nicely from that), anyone have an opinion on if thats worth risk or if I'll see increased yield doing it a 2nd time?

Your could totally top again. I've read about being careful not to top too close to when you plan on flipping to flower light schedule, though. I think it's: if it's within 2 weeks of the flip, avoid topping because it can effect your bud structure. You'll get dorky two-pronged colas and your final weight may be effected.

Your could totally top again. I've read about being careful not to top too close to when you plan on flipping to flower light schedule, though. I think it's: if it's within 2 weeks of the flip, avoid topping because it can effect your bud structure. You'll get dorky two-pronged colas and your final weight may be effected.

Thanks FlowerNose, I'm not ready to flip to flower yet I believe, considering they just popped from seed on 9/1 but I didn't want to risk things, but your point is well taken - I either do it now, wait a good 3 or more weeks to start to flower, or hold off altogether. I'm noticing I am going to continue with new LST points as she grows out of the old ones. Made me really nervous to LST but I can see the benefits of overall plant growth at lower levels.

OK installed the new CO2 system last night and today it went operational. The plants were started from seed on 9/1 and the tallest is 19 inches including the 5 gal bucket its planted in. Because these are going through LST right now and were topped once this is keeping the height down spreading the growth out and creating a lower more even bush. I like that. I've decided not to top anymore, I have at least 8 or more main tops per plant. Managing the plants will become harder the bushier they get. Right now I have the luxery of being able to take each plant out one by one if needed like I did last night to get the CO2 system installed. I'm excited to see what CO2 will do for the grow. I have the intake/outflow fans turned off, watered/Cal Mag Plus them the night before with 1/2 QT per plant, and plan to let the sealed tent run to 90 degrees. To be honest I could not find much info from other CO2 tank grows here on terms of equipment, etc. I kind of pieced info from many thread replies, built a consensus. Those that did it felt it was worth the effort. I'll take pics of the system the next time I am down there. These pics are from last night before the CO2 system was installed. I have not figured out yet when and if I'll run my exhaust during light hours. If it gets too hot in there (what temp you think that is?) I'll turn on the fans and cycle off the CO2. Right now that part of this CO2 setup I have not figured out. The CO2 monitor will auto shutoff when dark, and when levels hit 1500 ppm. I have a fan blowing on the very bottom of the tent to move the CO2 around (since it sinks when dispersed) and the CO2 rains down from the very top. We'll see.

Back
Top Bottom