My Little Lazy LED Grow - Soil - Dwarf Autos From Royal Queen Seeds

ItWas

HI Guys, just thought I would do a journal to document my grow.

I have called it my Little Lazy LED grow because thats pretty much exactly what it is.

My space is a small kitchen cupboard 35cm wide 40 cm deep and 70cm tall.
My lights are a cheap £15 45W LED, I have a loads of various full spec fluro tubes and high watt cfls from vivariums and photography set ups but the LED panel is going to be my primary light and use the others if needed.
As my space and lights are so small i decided to go for a small strain and so opted for Royal Dwarf(mostly sativa) and Easy Bud (indica dominant) from Royal Queen Seeds.
As for the Lazy bit , well that's just me and the reason i opted for LED s and Autos. Im not going to be measuring soil samples, and balancing Ph levels, not that i think there's anything wrong with that but it just isn't me. I basically just want to plant, water occasionally, then harvest. So i thought I would document it to show the journey and results and hopefully it will be helpful to someone and even interesting to others. I look forward to comments and any advise that doesn't sound too much like hard work ;)

Germinated the seeds using paper towel under the router method. 2 seeds germinated within 24 hours. Popped them into some cheap BnQ compost and the next day the seedlings had sprouted. Cheap BnQ compost turned out to be riddled with Fungus Gnats so I actually went to a Garden Centre (instead of ordering from amazon) and got some Organic compost and some Vermiculite and re-potted the sprouting seeds. I put a layer of vermiculite on top of compost too to hopefully keep gnats out.

20170925_160412.jpg

20170925_160350.jpg

Ironically the Royal Dwarf is the Taller one on the right hand side. I will be using a larger fan when i drop the shelf level.

HI Guys, just thought I would do a journal to document my grow.

I have called it my Little Lazy LED grow because thats pretty much exactly what it is.

My space is a small kitchen cupboard 35cm wide 40 cm deep and 70cm tall.
My lights are a cheap £15 45W LED, I have a loads of various full spec fluro tubes and high watt cfls from vivariums and photography set ups but the LED panel is going to be my primary light and use the others if needed.
As my space and lights are so small i decided to go for a small strain and so opted for Royal Dwarf(mostly sativa) and Easy Bud (indica dominant) from Royal Queen Seeds.
As for the Lazy bit , well that's just me and the reason i opted for LED s and Autos. Im not going to be measuring soil samples, and balancing Ph levels, not that i think there's anything wrong with that but it just isn't me. I basically just want to plant, water occasionally, then harvest. So i thought I would document it to show the journey and results and hopefully it will be helpful to someone and even interesting to others. I look forward to comments and any advise that doesn't sound too much like hard work ;)

Germinated the seeds using paper towel under the router method. 2 seeds germinated within 24 hours. Popped them into some cheap BnQ compost and the next day the seedlings had sprouted. Cheap BnQ compost turned out to be riddled with Fungus Gnats so I actually went to a Garden Centre (instead of ordering from amazon) and got some Organic compost and some Vermiculite and re-potted the sprouting seeds. I put a layer of vermiculite on top of compost too to hopefully keep gnats out.

20170925_160412.jpg

20170925_160350.jpg

Ironically the Royal Dwarf is the Taller one on the right hand side. I will be using a larger fan when i drop the shelf level.
I get lazy but check water pH with tap water provider. I'm 7.5 so 3ml white vinegar (couple of shakes or 1/2 TSP) per litre works a treat.

Update

Decided that the small cupboard i was using was too small so I have moved these two into an old fridge. Re potted them into larger pots and separated them. I did put a heat mat into the fridge as they are in my garage and its starting to get very cold where i live, however the heat off the LED is pretty much bang on and keeps the fridge around 32 C. I am concerned about fresh air but at the moment they are small and the amount i check on them should provide enough fresh air into the fridge. I think i will cut a few vents in the bottom of the door to allow good airflow at some point.

20171001_133425.jpg

20171001_133348.jpg

Day 13

Im a bit concerned about the yellowing tips, possibly PH related so will probs have to get a meter. I also think i may have let the dwarf get a bit too dry so i give it a good water,hopefully not too much.
20171003_192001.jpg

20171003_191949.jpg

20171004_180750.jpg

ok so something kinda wierd just happened. When i got home today i checked my plants as usual and all seemed ok. I noticed my fan had turned itself off so i turned it back on again and took my royal dwarf out to take a pic, closing the fridge door. after a quick spray and photo I went to put it back in the fridge and when i opened the door my Easy Bud plant had curled its leaves up! it was literally fine a few minutes ago.

I took it out and give it a spray and its leaves started uncurling before my eyes and in a minute it was fine again.

Any ideas? i thought maybe temps too high was around 28 - 31c so i left the door open a crack, i also moved the fan so its blowing downwards to the side as opposed to directly into it.
20171006_173649.jpg

week 5 update

now sorted the fridge intake and filter. used 2 x 80cm fans running through a usb plug which can link with the main fan and run all 3 from one cable and socket. Built a carbon filter using pvc sheet box with a layer of carbon sponger , a layer of activated carbon and a final layer of carbon sponge. This fits into the fan housing and will be used when its starts getting smelly.

getting a bit tight on space, will only do one at a time in future. Wont be lowering the plants any further as i think im at the limit of this panel and they are just starting to stretch a wee bit.

Started pre flower just over a week ago.
20171024_130324.jpg

20171024_130343.jpg

20171024_130349.jpg

20171024_130402.jpg

20171017_191432.jpg

20171017_191855.jpg

20171017_191933.jpg

20171017_192535.jpg

20171017_192741.jpg

20171024_130423.jpg

20171024_130454.jpg

20171024_130500.jpg

20171024_130524.jpg

20171024_130429.jpg

Started to get a bit of leaf claw so recon its too much N so i will stop using the fertilizer ive have been using and switch to the bloom stuff not they just started to flower.

I also got a new LED panel which is 180W, a lot more powerful but is kicking out a fair bit of heat so i have turned on all fans and its sitting around 28 - 30C which should be ok i think?

When i started this off i imagined that i was just going to stick some seeds in some dirt and leave them till they are ready but i have ended up spending so much time peeking at them and wanting them to grow that ive actually put more time and effort into this than i would have thought, and loved every minute so far.

Started to get some serious leaf droop on the easy bud and even after holding off watering for a while it still persists. PH meter arrived along with the biobizz bloom nutes. Ph run off seemed a little high so will try and bring that down.

I think that i fucked up on my soil mix using too much vermiculite and no perlite. As a result the bottom of the pots are staying soggy. Even though i know its a bad idea, i changed the soil mix and added a load of perlite to the bottom and mix, then repotted them. hopefully this will not be the end of them.

DSC_3794.JPG

I just popped a new seed - royal cheese auto - so will start a new journal, hopefully a lot better than this one as ive now got better lights, pots, nutes etc...

haha yeah i know, i was so naive, my missus keeps telling me she wishes i paid her as much attention and tackled problems around the house as quick as i do with my plants lol. Its amazing how much motivation you have when its something you are really interested in:cheesygrinsmiley:

a few pics from this morning before watering and feeding. Give a mixed shot of veg and bloom nutes as the yellowing leaves on the Royal Dwarf and now Easy Bud suggest they needed it. After a few hours the Easy Bud has picked up and a lot less droopy.

Royal Dwarf
DSC_38132.JPG

DSC_38141.JPG

EasyBud
DSC_38151.JPG

Some nice little buds developing, starting to see the trics now.
DSC_38121.JPG

DSC_38112.JPG

cheers bud, she has had a pretty hard life as it was my first grow but I will be happy just to smoke my own for the first time and learn from my mistakes.

Back
Top Bottom