Stupidface's First Grow: White Widow Auto In Soil, LED, Advice Always Appreciated

Stupidface

Hello and thanks for stopping by. I have been doing research on this site for a few weeks now and most of my equipment has arrived and seeds are germinating so I decided it's time to start the journal. It is my first time growing in over 20 years when i had some random seeds in my bedroom closet as a teenager (they were terrible). So let's get started.

Grow space: Spare room in my basement. When i bought the house it had carpet which i quickly ripped out. Put down some insulation and some spare laminate floor left over from doing another room to keep tent off the cement.

Tent : 2x4x5 by IDAODAN. Went together easily enough and no complaints so far.
IMG_20171004_154615.jpg
IMG_20171004_154524.jpg

Light : VIPARSPECTRA 600 (imaginary) watts, 276 real watts, with veg and bloom switches. Will run it 20/4.

Soil : Promix organic with Perlite added
IMG_20171003_204619.jpg

Seeds : White widow autos from Crop King Seeds. Delivery was much faster than expected but did not receive extra seeds like others had mentioned. Oh well, tough to complain about getting what you pay for.
IMG_20171003_205422.jpg

Nutes : Will be using the Fox Farm trio. Should be arriving in one or two days. Also Calimag.

Pots : 5 gal with holes drilled in top for doing LST.
IMG_20171004_163810.jpg

Random stuff:
IMG_20171003_205405.jpg

Ventilation : Using passive vent in bottom left for intake with fan and humidifier and 6" exhaust fan in top right. Will be adding charcoal filter later when needed.
IMG_20171004_162032.jpg

PH and PPM testers arriving tomorrow or the next day. Seeds soaked overnight last night and in paper towel today. Hoping to get them in soil soon. Big thanks to my wife who is supporting me on this (although she doesnt know quite how much i have spent), as well as my son who took a 2.5 hour nap today so i could get all this done.

Subbed up, looks like you have a nice setup. You will love LST, it's alot of fun to train the plants and watch them respond. Just becarful with water, she won't need much water for a bit and it's easy to over water. Im sure you will figure things out and they are some very helpful members here that very helpful. Best of luck to you.✌️

Subbed in ya have all the credentials to get the show on the rd il stayed turned to help if needed bro if ya fo that is happy growin

Re: Stupidface's First Grow - White Widow Auto In Soil - LED - Advice Always Apprecia

Quick question for anyone who can help. My light says it provides full coverage at 24" in a 4x4 area, but with just the two plants i am only really needing to cover 2x2. Should I go with a lower height or stick with what they recommend?

Re: Stupidface's First Grow - White Widow Auto In Soil - LED - Advice Always Apprecia

Quick question for anyone who can help. My light says it provides full coverage at 24" in a 4x4 area, but with just the two plants i am only really needing to cover 2x2. Should I go with a lower height or stick with what they recommend?
Looks like you got a great beginning! Ready to ride this one out!

So I'd start it there for them as seedlings and then let them grow up to it and adjust as needed.

I just know when I had my LED real close the nodes were too stacked for my stunted auto, so I had to pull it up. As I've understood, the older they get, the more intensity they can handle from the LEDs

Another day, another delivery.

IMG_20171005_154343.jpg

IMG_20171005_154256.jpg

Purolater guy even said "see you tomorrow". Cheeky bastard.

Using tap water for the grow and i left some out overnight to remove some chlorine. PPM measured at 41. Not sure if this is good or bad and still trying to determine what i use this info for. PH is 7.1 and will be bringing this down to 6.3-6.5. Please correct me if this is wrong.

Left everything running overnight and maintained a stable 78F for temp with lights on, went down to 72F with lights off. Think this is good but again, chime in if it can be improved. Humidity went down to 45% without humidifier. Up to 65% with it on max. Will try it on med/low tonight to see if i can hold it around 60. Obviously this will need to be adjusted constantly once i have watered plants in the tent but I was happy to see i can cover whatever range i need.

Also, they are ALIVE!

IMG_20171005_153352.jpg

That's a good ppm for tap water and the pH ain't that bad either. I use rain water cause my tap water is over 300 ppm with a pH of almost 8. Your temp is also good. My seedlings seem to better and are happier around 80 degrees. You should be fine at 72 and you can always adjust it if need be.✌️

PPM measured at 41.
Pretty good water actually, above average.
That's great that your water is nearly naturally neutral too, I would suggest more on the 6.5 than the 6.3 side for soil. 45-65% RH would be just what I'd probably want starting out in my tent. 72f is maybe on the lower side of desired during tap-rooting stage though, maybe keep lights on the first 3-4 days 24x7?

:goodjob:

Seeds are now in the pots and I've bumped the thermostat in the room up a notch to bring tent temp up to 80F. Have taken the light off the timer to run non-stop until they are established. RH is holding steady at 60%. Ordered soil moisture sensors, and insecticidal soap just in case there are any surprises in my soil.

Thanks everyone for your advice and encouragement. Havnt been this excited about something since my son was born.

Subbed. Was trying to find a journal with a close start date/ same strain. I have an auto WW also. Maybe we can learn from each other. Good luck!

Came home from work today to find one of girls had popped out of the soil. Leaves curled down which means too much water? Otherwise looks ok. No sign of the other plant yet but when i sprouted it the tap root curled around the seed so it may be having a tough time getting everything straightened out. Temp held steady at 79F and RH at 58%.

IMG_20171007_210357.jpg

Yep, just had the light on so i could make adjustments to the humidifier and temp so the tent would be ready when they popped out. Otherwise i would have to keep the entire room at 80F, and then do the calibration after they pop out.

Relieved to see plant #2 has surfaced. Hoping she drops her seed casing without issue. Going to have to come up with some names soon.

IMG_20171007_232820.jpg

Also playing with zoom on phone. #1 is a hairy girl.

IMG_20171007_232802.jpg

Came home from work today to find one of girls had popped out of the soil. Leaves curled down which means too much water? Otherwise looks ok. No sign of the other plant yet but when i sprouted it the tap root curled around the seed so it may be having a tough time getting everything straightened out. Temp held steady at 79F and RH at 58%.

IMG_20171007_210357.jpg
How much water did you use? I didn't even water mine until they popped and I only gave them about half a shot glass of water.

Back
Top Bottom