Second Grow - Let's Try This Again

DominaMortem

My first grow did not go so great, especially with some things that happened in my life. So time to try it again.

Strain and Amount: 4 Silver Jack (not feminized)
Planted on 10-4-17 but had already germinated.
Light is a 900W LED
This is not where I'm going to be keeping them the entire time, probably just a few weeks til I take them downstairs.
Nutrients will be the Nectar for the Gods line but won't start that until week 3.

Welcome to the show!
20171005_180041.jpg

Does the light seem low enough?

Welcome back DominaMortem! :)

That looks pretty low. The light is nominally 900 watts. What does it say it's actually drawing from the wall outlet?
Do remember that the light footprint under a lamp is not even, that the light is much more concentrated at the center than the edges.

What brand is the light? Seems too low to me. I got a 700w led and kept it at 1 meter or 3 foot for seedling. Then about 24 inch for early veg. That's the Mars hydro led.

I don't know what it's drawing from the wall. I just remember last time it was suggested to keep it low (just a few inches above the plant) because it doesn't get hot
Nah. I'm my experience it doesn't get hot so you won't get burn from heat but you get light burn. It will bleach the plant. The lights are powerful enough. What brand is your light bro? A few inches above the plants and you will kill it

I don't know what it's drawing from the wall. I just remember last time it was suggested to keep it low (just a few inches above the plant) because it doesn't get hot

The advice to keep lights just a few inches above the plants applies to household LED light bulbs (white light bulbs) and fluorescents but not to LED grow lights because LED grow lights have lenses that really focus the light which means you can get light burn if you get it too close.

The lamp should say how many watts or amps on the label. (I think that's required by law.) That would be useful to know. Some "900 watt" lamps are actually 450 watts and some are only 150, so it helps to know.

If the light gives you the amps of current (which is pretty typical), you multiply that times the voltage (110) to get the watts, so for example a lamp that draws 5 amps is 5 x 110 = 550 watts actual power draw.

Harrumph. Oh well, I guess the actual watts will have to be just a best guess unless you have some way of measuring. Figure maybe 400 actual watts.

You can save a little on your electric bill if you want by just keeping the babies/seedlings under CFLs or LED light bulbs until they're big enough to benefit from the new unit.

You could use them for seedling and early veg as scientific said. Then you can buy a plug at the hardware store that will tell you how many watts an appliance is using. Use that to see what your light is... let's see this bitch grow boi

You could use them for seedling and early veg as scientific said
You want them to have as much light as they'd have on a sunny summer day. When they be tiny, it's easy to get that much light just stickin' 'em under a fluorescent tube.

Then you can buy a plug at the hardware store that will tell you how many watts an appliance is using. Use that to see what your light is...
Amazon sells a gizmo called a Kill A Watt that works well.

let's see this bitch grow boi
Um, Ms Domina might have phrased that differently, but I agree that we're looking forward to seeing your girls grow and thrive under their new 1000-or-whatever-watt grow light. ;)

Back
Top Bottom