1st Time Grow With DWC Top Feed Burmese Kush

OntarioGro17

:welcome:Hello all and thanks for taking a look.:welcome:

Well, Let me tell you all about me. I've grown many outdoor grows over the years and after reading up on this site for the past few weeks, I've learned that it's actually unfathomable that I ever managed to get anything to grow let alone the yields I've pulled over he years.

So welcome To my noob experience with DWC topfeed. I built my own res from 10gal tubs with a manifold and pump. I have a double feed air pump feeding two long triangle shaped air-stones per tub(all 1/4" tubing is black) and have the drip feeding into 6 3' net pots per lid. I'm growing in a 4x4x6.5' tent with a 4" inline w/ carbon filter fan on a controller with 2 different brand led 600w panels one with bloom/veg options and the other with "full spectrum". I'd like to see which side ends up performing better and expand my collection from there.

Space - 4'x4'x6.5' tent
Lights - 2x 600w led panels 246w and 180w draw from wall
Room temp - 72f-76f
Room RH - 45- 55 %
Air movement - 1x 6" usb fan and 1x6" clip on desk fan and a cool mist humidifier.
Exhaust - 4"inline w/carbon filter in tent
Media - Topfeed DWC hydroponic in 3" net pots with rapid rooters and hydroton
Nutrients - Flora micro, Flora gro, Flora bloom
Supplements - Hydroguard and SM-90(i know they are to only be used alone as one effectively kills the other but
I wanted to have anything I need on hand.)
PH control - Ganja express ph up & down digital ph meter
PPM monitored - yes
Water used - Tap that sits for at least a day with its own air stone that bubbles off the chlorine and regulates the
true ph.
Strain - Burmese Kush (BuKu)
Type - Hybrid/indica dominant
Height - upto 100cm
Flowering - 7-9 weeks
#of plants - 6 seedlings/3 per tub. (fem seeds germed in rr in a dome. 6/6 on my first try:thumb:)
Current week of growth - 3 days since sprout
Light cycle -24/0
nutrients - Ph'd water and hydroguard for week 1.
Current ph - 5.65-5.75
Topfeed - 24/7

So this is my setup, its all from what i have cobbled together from a few weeks of reading what you fine folks have done over the years. I only hope for half the skill of any of you and i'll do just fine. One I figure out how to upload pics I have some that are from their first few days and i plan on taking a ton over the process. hope to have some ofyou along for the ride and happy growing!

IMG_267224.JPG
IMG_267022.JPG
IMG_266820.JPG
IMG_266723.JPG
IMG_266621.JPG
IMG_266231.JPG
IMG_266127.JPG

So this is my Tent and the 6 babies on the go, I will update every couple days and add some pics for comparison.

I just did a before bedtime check on the babies and I found the three on the left leaning in all different directions.
IMG_267324.JPG

I looked around to find i unplugged the air pump to that reservoir earlier today so the only oxygenating that water had been getting was from the top drip. Lesson one learned always check everything before work, bed, going out, etc.

just this afternoon
IMG_266232.JPG
IMG_266328.JPG

IMG_266128.JPG

So I have everything back up and running properly now. We shall see if they perk back up or not. I'm sure I'm going to make plenty more mistakes but thought I'd share my first. :cheer:

1st time grow w/DWC top feed Burmese Kush

Hi there ! Nice set up as you said, a lot like mine except the medium! Yep, that's true one check a day can save you some troubles by seeing the signs quickly because don't worry you're gone face plenty of them in a first grow where you try to have perfect heat, perfect humidity, perfect room temp, perfect ventilation around the plants, perfect light height hahaha so see I can name a few more! Air extractor giving up..... and more ! Well good luck I got seeds almost the same time as you so we will be following up I size I guess !
Have a good one.

Re: 1st time grow w/DWC top feed Burmese Kush

Hi there ! Nice set up as you said, a lot like mine except the medium! Yep, that’s true one check a day can save you some troubles by seeing the signs quickly because don’t worry you’re gone face plenty of them in a first grow where you try to have perfect heat, perfect humidity, perfect room temp, perfect ventilation around the plants, perfect light height hahaha so see I can name a few more! Air extractor giving up..... and more ! Well good luck I got seeds almost the same time as you so we will be following up I size I guess !
Have a good one.

Hey Mike thanks for stopping by, I checked in on them this morning and they seem to be perking back up so we will see. i'm staying inthe 45-52% humidity range and the temps fluctuate between 72-78F. I keep seeing all these soil grows looking so good, I was just scared of bugsafter a house plant we had a yea ago were a pain the ass to get rid of so that why i went with hydro. the manufacturer says 30 inches above the plants for my ligghts during seedlings so I've been following that. Once htey get some bigger fan leaves I plan to start lowering the lights a bit. I'll take some progress pics later today to see how much they've stood up compared to last night. Happy growing!

Another Canuck doing a dwc grow. Thats awesome. I'll join in too. I grow in a 4 pod RDWC system and use the GH Flora series as well, maybe I can assist with your nutrient schedule.

Another Canuck doing a dwc grow. Thats awesome. I'll join in too. I grow in a 4 pod RDWC system and use the GH Flora series as well, maybe I can assist with your nutrient schedule.

Hey thanks for the look, I was interested in that style but i wanted to keep it simple for my first run, and try to keep my costs down with the initial investment of lights, tent and all. Any advice you have with regards to the flora series is welcome. I have been wondering about my first res change and if i should be going in at 1/4 strength or just follow the bottle or what everyone else seems to do. I'm gonna go read your journal right now and see what i can find, but again thanks for the sub and look forward to watching your ladies grow.

If you haven't got nutes in there yet you should. Just a ml/L of each for now should be lots. I aim for 300ppm starting seedlings and clones in DWC so you could put 1ml each in 1L of water and test that to see what it gives you and tweak it to be around 300 tho 50 either way is fine. They will be starving by the end of a week.

That guff about don't feed for at least 2 weeks is for soil where there are already low levels of natural nutes for fresh sprouts to feed on but in rooters or rockwool there is nothing so they are starving as soon as they sprout.

Once they have roots thru the pots I'd ditch the top feed. There is no need for it and I've never used top feeding past the first few days and just use a turkey baster for that until roots protrude into the tub.

No need to change nutes for at least the first month if then depending on how big the plants are after then. I try to do a change after the stretch into flowering but sometimes don't change for the whole grow. RO water helps with that tho with tap water you should change once you've added back as much as the tub holds to prevent minerals in the water building up and causing problems.

I'm using AN 3-part, never used beneficial bacteria since I started DWC in 2001 and have done about 50 tubs with up to 16 plants/tub so I've tried all sorts of things with DWC. DWC ScroG is my favorite way to grow.

Good Luck!

:peace:

Hello. This set of yours looks so amazing. I may get the things from your equipment(so better light and ventilation, etc.), but it costs a lot, so not atm. I'm currently growing auto ak-47 femi, and it is growing so fast. And I have a question, cause you said you try to keep humidity over 40%. Mine is currently 37% - will the girls grow better, healthier, faster, if the humidity is higher(like 50%)? Should I improve it?

Oh, and about the nutes - on mine it says 1-5ml for 1L - so 1/4 strenght would be(assuming I would use 2.5ml) 0.625 ml for 1L? Or maybe just go 2.5ml?

If you haven't got nutes in there yet you should. Just a ml/L of each for now should be lots. I aim for 300ppm starting seedlings and clones in DWC so you could put 1ml each in 1L of water and test that to see what it gives you and tweak it to be around 300 tho 50 either way is fine. They will be starving by the end of a week.

That guff about don't feed for at least 2 weeks is for soil where there are already low levels of natural nutes for fresh sprouts to feed on but in rooters or rockwool there is nothing so they are starving as soon as they sprout.

Once they have roots thru the pots I'd ditch the top feed. There is no need for it and I've never used top feeding past the first few days and just use a turkey baster for that until roots protrude into the tub.

No need to change nutes for at least the first month if then depending on how big the plants are after then. I try to do a change after the stretch into flowering but sometimes don't change for the whole grow. RO water helps with that tho with tap water you should change once you've added back as much as the tub holds to prevent minerals in the water building up and causing problems.

I'm using AN 3-part, never used beneficial bacteria since I started DWC in 2001 and have done about 50 tubs with up to 16 plants/tub so I've tried all sorts of things with DWC. DWC ScroG is my favorite way to grow.

Good Luck!

:peace:

Thanks for stopping by my journal, I heeded you advice and added 1 ml of each of the flora series and i will continue to up it each day til res change on the weekend. Build them up to week one kinda thing. as for ScroG, thats the eventual plan and i assembled my screen today.
IMG_267419.JPG

it's 42"x42" with 3"x"3 squares, I built on adjustable legs so it has a bottom of 8" above the res and as much as 45" above. Made it have range until its needed.
IMG_267521.JPG

IMG_268516.JPG
IMG_268724.JPG

So anyhow you can see the babies down there,
IMG_268321.JPG
IMG_268221.JPG
IMG_268018.JPG
IMG_267824.JPG
IMG_267723.JPG
IMG_267624.JPG

Hello. This set of yours looks so amazing. I may get the things from your equipment(so better light and ventilation, etc.), but it costs a lot, so not atm. I'm currently growing auto ak-47 femi, and it is growing so fast. And I have a question, cause you said you try to keep humidity over 40%. Mine is currently 37% - will the girls grow better, healthier, faster, if the humidity is higher(like 50%)? Should I improve it?

Oh, and about the nutes - on mine it says 1-5ml for 1L - so 1/4 strenght would be(assuming I would use 2.5ml) 0.625 ml for 1L? Or maybe just go 2.5ml?

Hey thanks For stopping by and I appreciate the compliment:thanks:. I started out with a budget and when I hit it, I was basically ready to go. I advise to stay with what you can do and add to it as I plan to add more in the future but this was what I could afford to do now. if you have a journal pm a link and i'll sub up and watch your progress.:high-five:

I heeded you advice and added 1 ml of each of the flora series and i will continue to up it each day til res change on the weekend. Build them up to week one kinda thing.

If you've added 1 ml of each, you'll want to check and monitor your ppm, and then add more with res water to maintain the ppm you have now. Don't up the total ppm's every day at this stage. As said previously +/- 300 ppm is where you want to be and maintain for a while.

If you've added 1 ml of each, you'll want to check and monitor your ppm, and then add more with res water to maintain the ppm you have now. Don't up the total ppm's every day at this stage. As said previously +/- 300 ppm is where you want to be and maintain for a while.

The total res ppm is 275 for tub 1 and 265 for tub 2 ph for 1 is 6.01 avd tub 2 is 6.09 so i will leave them at that(check and maintain) til i res change on the weekend.

Sounds great OG. That's where ya want them sitting for now. What are res temps like?

Btw I'm subbed for this one. Good luck

Thanks for the sub man, the rez's are sitting at 71.1-71.9, I'll be switching them to 18/6 on Thursday and then it's day one of veg for 25 -30 days and then we will fill that scrog!

Great setup! Subbed for the show. .

thanks for taking the time to have a look, I installed a security camera inside the tent today to be able to check when i wantbut not disturb them :thumb:. I had a best buy card laying around from my birthday last year and i worked out perfectly. Now i'm never more than a button click away from knowing how they are :D

Back
Top Bottom