Ripe1 Grow#1 - Cheese Auto In Soil Tent LED Fall 2017

Ripe1

Welcome, have a seat, smile and say Cheese!!! Auto Cheese. Free Auto Cheese! What is on the menu?

Strain: Cheese Auto Fem. (free from AMS as I spent $117 on regular Cheese and NYCTurboD)

I/S: 75% Indica 25% Sativa

Seed Medium: Jiffy Pellets

Soil Medium: Fox Farm Happy Frog %, Black Gold 25-30%, Roots Organic 20%, Expanded Clay Pellets about
5% with the bottom of the pots being lined with a layer of pellets for better drainage.

Pots: 7 Gallon Smart Pots

Lights: 700W LED, Red, White, Blue are all able to be dialed in how I want them to be. (My light
company is not a sponsor here, but I wrote the an email while writing this, requesting that they
do become a sponsor...we'll see.) Be Proactive right? 24 hours on for germination, 18/6 when
they get to VEG/Flower. 24 Hours seems to be the recommendation for Autos, but I'll save a
couple bucks not running them for 24 hours a day.

Tent: 4x4x6.5 feet, same company as light.

Average Temp: 73-79 degrees.

Air Circulation: No AC to start out, 4 inch inline fan, on top of carbon filter, on floor outside tent pulling air from
top of the tent. AC will be added when necessary and most likely just before summer time. This
grow will be past complete at that time.
Fertilizer: General Hydroponics Grow Box (after two weeks in VEG)
Pesticides: SNS sent me some free samples of their Mite 217 C and some Fungicides when needed. I will be
taking preventative regimen rather than chasing my tail like I did in the Greenhouse last summer.

Why: I am a medical patient with a rare blood disorder called Hemophilia. My bones are now close
cousins to SpongeBob in appearance. Moving North West was a great idea! Legal states are a
blessing. I reside in a legal state. Look Hemophilia up if you don't know what it is.

So Far: Well, already I have 5 Seeds down and they were started in a shot glass of tap water. 12hrs later
I tapped them and they sank. 12 hours later they were put in paper towel to germinate. 12 hours
later 3 of them had a tap root visible and were moved into Jiffy Pellets. 24 Hours later the other 2
joined them. Yesterday the first one popped out and is a cute little seedling. I labeled them 1-5
based off of who show Tap Roots first, the 1st 3 being ranked by the size of the Tap Root. #2 was
the first to breech soil. Timeline has been Friday night-Thursday morning(Now).

Plans: If/when the other 4 pop up, I'll take them out of the humidity Dome supplied with the Jiffy
Pellets and wait for roots to show through the sides of the pellet and then move them into
the Smart Pots. Light cycle then goes to 18/6. I may give 1 feeding of GH Grow after 2 weeks,
then move to bloom after a flush of the soil a couple weeks later. Problems should be
ample as this is my first indoor grow and I also have doggies. I'll be using insecticides and
fungicides in soil and foliage as soon as the plants look healthy enough to keep pests at
bay. Lavender and Peppermint oils will be mixed and sprayed outside the tent parameter
along with Neem Oil to discourage pest entry. When seedlings are transplanted, I'll dip them
in a vat of pesticide to maximize leaf coverage.

Training: LST bending is being considered, but given the short VEG cycle of autos, I may just forego training
and let the girly s go and be beautiful with no makeup on.

420 Members: HELP!!! If you have experience with anything outlined above, please weigh in! As above
mentioned, this is indoor grow Numero Uno! Pest and fungus help and regimens you use that
are effective for you are welcomed by me. That's why we're all here right? If I left anything out,
or you have questions, let me know and I'll update. Pics soon. Thanks in advance! Ripe1 Grow#1. :Namaste:

It's the morning of Day 9 from Seed. Five were planted, 4 have sprouted so far and the 5th is just not coming up. I'll give a couple more days but hopes aren't High. The healthiest has had no issues so far and has done everything expected in half of the time expected. The next healthiest had the waxy cotyledon sheath stuck on the tip for about 3 days so this morning I carefully removed it. Now the other two look like there might be trouble. If you look at the photos, one of them was also stuck in the wax but also looked like it might have a damping off issue. I also carefully removed the sheath from it. The cotyledon leafs are a bit yellow on this and the next seedling I'll describe. The stem of this one is Zig-Zaggy and discolored/pale with a brown leaf tip. The last sprout looks like something straight out of the first Mario, one of those Piranha Plants. Same sheath problem and fix. Does anyone see a reason to worry? Did they Damp off or am I over-thinking? The camera icon is not doing anything when I click it so I'll just put the image locations until I figure it out. Thanks everybody!!!
https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/3_s_a_Company.JPG
https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/ZigZag4.JPG
https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/Mario_Piranha_Plant1.JPG
https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/Blue_Mario.JPG

Hey Ripe! I'm just going to jump in to say I highly recommend LST for your autos. I got over 4 ounces dried off my blueberry auto outside (13 tops):

20170809_0749451.jpg

And check out Blazin Waffles latest plant in the Plant of the Month (you will see it referred as POTM):
420 Magazine's Plant of the Month - November 2017

420-magazine-mobile1789006595.jpg

And Moonshine17 has two blueberry autos he's got trained as well. Here's one:

8AB894FA-793E-47CD-8CD6-027942A512A7.jpeg

Do at least one of yours this grow and I don't think you'll grow straight up again!

Do at least one of yours this grow and I don't think you'll grow straight up again!

If I get the chance, I am going to do 2 of them as such! You'll see in just a minute, I just got done cleaning the tent so....Updates! Some good, some bad.......

Friday update time Folks!!! The # naming system has been changed since everyone has a character/personality now. 5 Chesse Auto Seeds Star in this show.
#5 is DeadGirlZombie. She still hasn't popped up and is assumed DOA, if she pops up, she's a Zombie and I might have to kill her.
#4 is Mario Piranha, or Piranha as I'll be affectionately "reefer"ing to her now.
#3 is Zig-Zig since she Zigged, then Zagged, the hit the floor(More on that later in the episode).
#2 is be The Old Lady since her first true leaves are turning white.
#1 is The Flower Girl and my money is on her

What a week! So much to tell and where to start. I'll try to keep it chronological.

Since liberating 3 ladies from the cold grasp of their shells, they have been very slow. I think I might have aggravated them when getting them out of their shells. Zig-Zag had cropped to the ground backwards by Tuesday morning. Piranha had no true leaves showing that same day and those 2 made me think it was dampening off for sure! I wanted to pull them but in a last ditch effort I did 3 things that I'll get back to in a minute. The Old Lady and The Flower Girl came out and then just sort of stopped doing anything for those same few days too. SO!...Noticing that the healthy ones weren't doing anything along with the sicker two, I realized it had to be in part, an environmental thing. Temps have stayed in the 73- 79 range consistently. Humidity had bee hovering about 29- 35% so I brought in a small humidifier to help out, now we kick it in the 40-46% range.

The Jiffy Pellets always felt cool to the touch to me so I put a bladder with hot water in it and set them on that. It didn't transfer enough heat and by this time Zig Zag was laying the ground suffering and choking so I had to act fast! I contacted a friend who grows around here and had him drop by. Together we determined that the LED's are too strong for the seedlings at this point & not generating enough heat to help them along so we raised them to about 40 inches above them. I had a metal CFL, round light thing around so I hung that up to give them some heat. Then I grabbed a couple small boxes and put the peat tray on top of the boxes under the CFL. I turned the LED blue and white intensity down and the red off for now. Next I wanted to make sure there wasn't Damping Off so I put a few drops (.03cc) of hydrogen peroxide in a syringe and filled the rest with water. I normally don't top water the girls but I put a few drops around each stem. Lastly, I had been running lights 24/7 and my buddy advised..."despite the autos doing better with 24/7 light, these ones might fare better with a bit of rest. Turn them off and let them have night" So, Tuesday night I turned the lights off for 6.5 hours.

Wednesday Morning I go in to find 4 happy girls with Zig-Zag's head off of the ground, head high in the air!!! YAY!!! I think I cost myself a week worth of growth by not giving them enough heat, rest and wrong amount of light, if not the wrong light.
I am having to water more since there is more heat. A couple of the peat pellets are cracking like a fault line even when wet so I hope the roots show soon and I can get them in their cloth pots.
All of them now have white cotyledon tips with yellowing closer to the center, some worse than others, but especially with The Old Lady having it on her true leaf tips.

So!!!! Now for the questions directed at the public opinion part of the show(you guys).

1. Regarding the White and Yellow leaves; Am I now burning them with the light? Are they asking for Nutes? Is this Powdery
Mildew, Damping Off, or is it normal and I'm overthinking again? What is this???
2. Why is the Old Lady turning into The Old Lady?
3. Seeds dow 10/27/17. Seeds popped up 11/2&11/3/17. Today is 11/10/17. 7&8day out of the ground. Is it time for nutrients?
4. Is it too early to treat with some SNS217 and the likes if it is powdery mildew or damping off?
5. Anything you guys see in the pics that I am not or not see anything that you need to see?

Check out InTheShed's stuff if you want a great and suspenseful show! I might be with you on thet start over InTheShed!

You can see Ziggy straightening up in this one.
Zig-Zag_Straightening_Up.JPG

The Collective
Young_Ladies_1_Week_Later.JPG

Mario Piranha trying so hard to get some true leaves out! Why with the yellow cotyledon?
Yellow_Piranha.JPG

From up Top
Top_View_of_the_Ladies.JPG

Piranha View 2
Mario_Piranha_Struggles.JPG

The Flower Girl
Cheese_1_Happy_Green.JPG

The Old Lady, is she sick???
Cheese_2_Yellow_Yellow_Cotyledon.JPG

Cheese_2_White_Leaf_Tips.JPG

Clean the grow room every week. This muck has accumulated since I cleaned last Sunday.
Cleaning_101.JPG

Thanks for everything and for dropping by!

I don't grow under lights but it looks like light burn to me! I can't see powdery mildew happening for any number of reasons: you're indoors, your RH was incredibly low, and they're only a week old. I would plant them in their final homes now. Normally there's a tap root sticking out of the peat pot within 24-48 hours of showing above the soil, but if not yet it's no harm to get them planted. I cut off the cover on those pots as I have seen photos of grown plants stunted by that casing.

I wouldn't start over yet though you are def behind the grow curve compared to a perfect world, and seeds are expensive. Give them a week of a good environment and see how they do. And I wouldn't start nutes yet. I don't start until day 20 or so.

Also, it looks dry in those peat pots. I go with distilled water this early.

Thanks guys! InTheShed, I'm a bit nervous moving them into their final homes right now. Right after I posted those Pics my clip on fan fell on Piranha and Zig-Zag. I think Zig-Zag is OK but Piranha might have died. Also, I was kicking around the idea of ordering some Great White mycorrhizae to add into my soil mix. I had the bug today and wanted to mix the soil up but after thinking about it I figured I had better ask.

Thanks guys! InTheShed, I'm a bit nervous moving them into their final homes right now. Right after I posted those Pics my clip on fan fell on Piranha and Zig-Zag. I think Zig-Zag is OK but Piranha might have died. Also, I was kicking around the idea of ordering some Great White mycorrhizae to add into my soil mix. I had the bug today and wanted to mix the soil up but after thinking about it I figured I had better ask.

Ah the dreaded something-fell-into-my-plants thing. Happens to everyone so chalk it up to being in the club! You can plant them in their final homes now because Great White is water soluble and goes in with the nute water. Mykos is mixed in with the soil but you don't need both.

You can plant them in their final homes now...
Thanks Buddy. I'll get on it tomorrow evening, it's getting a little late to start the process now.

I did the transplant ritual last night. RIP little Piranha. I'll never get the chance to walk her down the Isle of Jars :morenutes: Ha! there she is in spirit! I'll post some pics a little later today.

Hi Ripe1✌ Hows the grow coming? I see in your 1st post you said you got some free samples... fungicide being one of them. If your growing organically then keep that out of the tent as it will kill all fungii... mycorrizae being fungii . So Great White or any myke is killed and everything stops.

Oooh! That had not occurred to me. I think SNS claims to be organic...don't quote me on that...but you are right, it would kill mycorrhizae in the soil. What about spraying the leaves later on when she is bigger? SNS 217+? Good lookin' out Gee!

Hey Folks, another crazy week! Gee, welcome. So since our last episode this happened.
Dead_Dead_Zombie_Girl.JPG
That is and was the little seedling that didn't pop, Dead Zombie Girl and I was right, I had to kill her. Well...not me... She came up with fervor and then tragedy struck!!! Yet another badge on my "Something Fell On My Plant" jacket...This time a screw driver dropped by a nameless third party!! She was doing so well too...no light burn or anything! You probably can't really tell what she is in the pic, I am sure she is dead but will hold out for a week before definitively culling her. I've seen some miracles on here, and not. Bringing me to my next point...Everyone else DIED too!!

Zig Zag did not survive the fan incident bringing the total death count in that country to 2.
Dead_Zig_Zag.JPG

Flower Girl, who my money was on, did not do so well with transplanting.
Dead_Hippy_Girl.JPG

But guess who is still with us? The Wise Ole' Lady!
Ole_Lady_Survives.JPG

Still slow but she seems to be starting her first branches. I fixed the light burn by dialing the light back even more and then moving them out of directly under the lights and off to the side. You can see I have a small light providing warmth off to the side and above Ole Lady.

Rough_Setup.JPG

Rough_Setup2.JPG

I also had to cut a small square of shade cloth for them all as the light was still a bit much even after turning it down. I have to head out of town for Thanksgiving so the same friend will be dropping in on the lady to keep her fed and such. When I come back, I'll get all the dead ones out and make room for the next seedling attempt, which will be NYCDiesel and regular Cheese. I need to get a warming mat and most likely a CFL or something to start them under. Hopefully this auto-Cheese will at least make it to flower so I don't have to wait for 5 months for those Sativas to finish. Also a quick question; Those other 3 plants that died, can I reuse that soil on the next grow since the plants were only in them for a week? I never fertilized them. Well, they got some mycorrhizae once. Thanks guys!

Damn, that's a hard start to a grow! As they said on NYPD Blue, I'm sorry for your loss. You can definitely reuse the soil since there was nothing using up whatever goodness was in there.

I start my auto seeds in the peat pots under a CFL (like 3" away) and as soon as it sprouts above the soil it usually has a tap root sticking out of the bottom. At that point I carefully take the wrapper off the peat and it goes into the final pot (soil and perlite) in the sun. Dunno about LEDs though. I water with distilled water right around the peat (no nutes) and also about 6" circle around to get the roots looking for water.

Don't give up on Flower Girl yet tho, if she survives you may end up with a SPOG® out of her!

You are The Man Shed! Thanks for the encouragement. LEDs are so intense right under them. They aren't so much like a regular light in that they don't loose as much intensity when they get farther away. I saw a video the GrowBoss did and it explained it pretty well. If it's all you have and it's not for seedlings then it's going to burn them. I am finding they work, but you have to have the right one and or set it up right. Hence my plants are on the parameter. Distilled water all day. My friend is sending me an RO filter soon for the nice price of free! Have a Happy Turkey Day everyone!

Hey Everybody! I hope the Holiday Turkey put you to sleep. That or your great meds! As always, good news and bad. Modus Operandi, bad news first; Actually it's about the same, the other 4 are dead for sure. The stems turned black and leaves wilted and died. Ole Lady is getting pretty strong however. I left her for the weekend with a friend. I came back and she had new leaves on the 2nd set and is starting the next set of true leaves. Her first true leaves are about 70 to 80% yellow. I am wondering if it is too soon to cut the off. There is still a small bit of green toward the stem for the plant to leach out. Day 29 Shed, nutes now? I actually gave her less than a 1/4 strength CalMag BioRoots and BioWeed last week before I left, that was on Tuesday night. She did fine it seems. It seems like NPK could be started soon. I also picked up an I Pad to get better pics. I hope they help you see any problems better, hence helping me be a better grower. Be cool Y'all!
Last of the Marihicans
Coming_Along1.JPG

2nd Leaves returning to green and 1st leaves yellow further
Lady_Leaves.JPG

Another View
Lady_Leaves_2.JPG

And Again...
Lady_Leaves_3.JPG

Have a good week folks! Next week, about the middle or the end, I'll start those regular Cheese and NYCTurboDiesel seeds and hope for some healthy ladies. New CFL and Seedling mat will be on the way by then so things should be better than these poor little ladies had. I'm sure it'll be the same for me though...lessons 'pon lessons 'pon lessons! Love!!!:circle-of-love:

Back
Top Bottom