420's Soil Purple Kush Journal

Herbshuttles

Growing 2 crop king Purple Kush plants in a 4x4x6.5 reflective tent in 5 gallon pots with Happy Frog soil. Currently using one 300W vipar spectra LED but I have another one ready for use once the seedlings hit vegetative stage. Lights are currently positioned at around 40 inches from the top of the plant. Will bring down to 24 once they are in vegetative. I use filtered water scaled to 6.5 on the pH. Temp usually stays around 79, sometimes will rise to 80-81. Humidity hasn't gone above 60% and I will work hard to keep it at an even 50% once the seedlings are in vegetative. I'm using flora micro, flora grow, flora bloom, floralicious plus, flora nectar, cali mag, liquid koolbloom, dry koolbloom and flora kleen.

It's been roughly 1-2 weeks since the seedlings have sprouted. One of the seedlings (which was slow at first) looks to be flourishing. The other (which was fast growing at first) seems to not be doing as well. Looks like it's folding down and dropping when compared to the other which is larger and flat.
IMG_52416.JPG
IMG_52408.JPG
IMG_523910.JPG

Trying to grow the best possible! Would you say I'm overthinking my concerns?

I'm all for growing the best possible!

I had great luck with just FloraGro, FloraMicro, and FloraBloom plus CALiMAGic, but I know GH has a ton of other stuff in their line. Lately I keep reading posts about how much people like silicon supplements...

I'm all for growing the best possible!

I had great luck with just FloraGro, FloraMicro, and FloraBloom plus CALiMAGic, but I know GH has a ton of other stuff in their line. Lately I keep reading posts about how much people like silicon supplements...

Not sure how I'd feel about silicon supplements. Doesn't sound too natural. Is that what flora nectar and koolbloom are? And by overthinking my concerns I meant with the way the one seedling seems a bit droopy/curled. Is this something to be concerned with?

Your seedlings look just fine. Maybe just a little bit stretchy like they want more light?

If ya wanna go natural, ya plant in manure out in the sunlight, or so it seems to me. :)

I don't know what's in flora nectar or kool bloom, but I'm an NPK+micros guy with little faith in the exotica. Maybe someday I'll come around. ;)

Your seedlings look just fine. Maybe just a little bit stretchy like they want more light?

If ya wanna go natural, ya plant in manure out in the sunlight, or so it seems to me. :)

I don't know what's in flora nectar or kool bloom, but I'm an NPK+micros guy with little faith in the exotica. Maybe someday I'll come around. ;)

Oh ok cool. Maybe I'll lower the light an inch or two or start up my other 300 watt. And if I have a good final product than I guess you'll definitely have to think about coming around! We'll have to wait and see. And one question; how can I tell when it's in vegetative stage?

Oh ok cool. Maybe I'll lower the light an inch or two or start up my other 300 watt. And if I have a good final product than I guess you'll definitely have to think about coming around! We'll have to wait and see. And one question; how can I tell when it's in vegetative stage?

Well strictly speaking, it's growing vegetatively from the time it germinates to the time that flowering starts. I think most people take it easy on seedlings for the first few days until they get established (e.g. humidity domes and moderate lighting), but I think yours are ready to rock n roll!

Well strictly speaking, it's growing vegetatively from the time it germinates to the time that flowering starts. I think most people take it easy on seedlings for the first few days until they get established (e.g. humidity domes and moderate lighting), but I think yours are ready to rock n roll!

So you think they're ready to start the 4 week cycle of vegging before flowering(starting nutes, and 18/6 lights)? Seems a bit early, i can't even start topping yet. I got them on just water (6.5 pH) and 16/8 cycle currently. Was going to leave it this way for another 1-2 weeks min. Am I misunderstanding something?

So you think they're ready to start the 4 week cycle of vegging before flowering(starting nutes, and 18/6 lights)? Seems a bit early, i can't even start topping yet. I got them on just water (6.5 pH) and 16/8 cycle currently. Was going to leave it this way for another 1-2 weeks min. Am I misunderstanding something?

Are you saying you have the lights off for 16 hours and on for 8? I've never heard of that being done. 15 on or higher (18/6 on/off or even 24 hours on) is what you want at this stage (Veg). When you switch to flower after Veg. You want 12 on 12 off. Best to keep things nice and simple ..

Are you saying you have the lights off for 16 hours and on for 8? I’ve never heard of that being done. 15 on or higher (18/6 on/off or even 24 hours on) is what you want at this stage (Veg). When you switch to flower after Veg. You want 12 on 12 off. Best to keep things nice and simple ..

No I have it on for 16 off for 8. Once I started the nute cycle I was going to increase it 2 hours so it would be on for 18 off for 6. Then after 4 weeks switch to flower and I'd have it 12/12 like you said. Basically whenever I could start topping is when I was going to start the nute cycle plus the 18 on 6 off

No I have it on for 16 off for 8. Once I started the nute cycle I was going to increase it 2 hours so it would be on for 18 off for 6. Then after 4 weeks switch to flower and I'd have it 12/12 like you said. Basically whenever I could start topping is when I was going to start the nute cycle plus the 18 on 6 off

Ahhhh ok. Yeah there's no problems with that. They would have no issues getting 18/6 now. I usually start my grows with 24 hours light then back it down to 20 then to 18 then 12 when I flip to flower. Just my own way of doing it lol. Looking forward to seeing how things go with yours .. They might ask you for some food sooner then you think ..

Ahhhh ok. Yeah there's no problems with that. They would have no issues getting 18/6 now. I usually start my grows with 24 hours light then back it down to 20 then to 18 then 12 when I flip to flower. Just my own way of doing it lol. Looking forward to seeing how things go with yours .. They might ask you for some food sooner then you think ..

How do I know when they are ready for the nutes? Am I on the right track with waiting until I can start topping?

New update. 2 more leaves have grown on top. The plant with slightly larger leaves is leaning and I'm assuming it's because I didn't have a mini fan blowing to ensure stronger stems. Getting one asap. Any other causes of this? Asides root rot. I don't water a lot at one time.
IMG_52497.JPG
IMG_524811.JPG
IMG_524711.JPG

High Herbshuttles,

Looking good so far. Sounds like you're looking for something to analyze. They'll grow fine with plenty of warning if something is wrong. All good so far.

How much lower should I have it at? It's currently at 39 inches away

How many watts is the light?

If it was my grow, judging by the stretch, if it's a 450 watt or less I think I'd drop it to a couple of feet, but why don't you ask on the Grow Lighting forum? Grow Lighting

(Be sure to tell them watts/model and post that photo. In fact, a full data dump with soil, nutes, etc is always welcome and helpful...)

<edit> I went back to post 1 and saw that it's a Viparspectra 300 which is just 136 actual watts, so you definitely need to (and can) move it way down. (And BTW you are going to need more light before you're done to get a good yield. That's a small light and cannabis love love loves photons. ;))

How many watts is the light?

If it was my grow, judging by the stretch, if it's a 450 watt or less I think I'd drop it to a couple of feet, but why don't you ask on the Grow Lighting forum? Grow Lighting

(Be sure to tell them watts/model and post that photo. In fact, a full data dump with soil, nutes, etc is always welcome and helpful...)

<edit> I went back to post 1 and saw that it's a Viparspectra 300 which is just 136 actual watts, so you definitely need to (and can) move it way down. (And BTW you are going to need more light before you're done to get a good yield. That's a small light and cannabis love love loves photons. ;))

Wow so 24 inches sound good? And does the 50 watt per sq foot apply to the 300 or the 136 in this case? Why is it labeled as 300 watts if that's not the case, that's frustrating hahaha. I had another light I was going to turn on during vegging as well

Wow so 24 inches sound good? And does the 50 watt per sq foot apply to the 300 or the 136 in this case? Why is it labeled as 300 watts if that's not the case, that's frustrating hahaha. I had another light I was going to turn on during vegging as well
18-24 is fine. The rule of thumb for wattage on LED applies to the actual draw at the wall. I've seen lots of people pull great yields from those and similar LED. You don't NEED to add more light, but they definitely won't mind it.

Back
Top Bottom