EndItAll's Ongoing Organic DIY Adventure

EndItAll

Since my grows are overlapping and I can't be bothered to keep starting and stopping journals, I'm just gonna go with an ongoing journal of whatever I have going on.

For those of you just joining my ravings, here's the important details.

Main overhead lights:
-1x 200w (actual watts, not equivalent, this thing is a beast) Sunblaster cfl at 6400k center hung.

-2x home-made 8-socket cfl array, each currently sporting a mix of 25-27w bulbs in 5000k, 3000k, and 2700k, approx 200w each for 400w total, 1 on each side of the Sunblaster.

600 true watts total.

Supplemental lights:
4x vertically mounted 32w 4' tubes, 2 in each front corner, currently all 6500k. 2 shown below.

1x vertically mounted 54w Sunblaster 2' tube+nanoreflector, center of rear wall, height adjusts up and down on sliding mount. Also 2x 32w 4' tube horizontally hung over rear area, currently in 2700k

246 true watts total.

Overall light in box around 850w, all fluoros.

Ventilation:

-exhaust is handled by my 280 cfm Vortex 4" fan combined with my new Phresh activated carbon filter, ducted to another floor to save house heating costs.
-new air is brought in from outdoors (canadian winter air) via disguised dryer exhaust, which is rigged to an UGLY, Apollo13-worthy kludge involving a repurposed 50cfm bathroom exhaust fan, a heavily modified thick plastic shopping bag, and ALOT of duct tape. It lets out around the lights and gets caught and mixed by the circulation fans inside. This is on same timer as lights so it stops cooling at lights off.
Also have some passive intake from house, box is not air-tight and exhaust keeps it at just slightly negative pressure in there relative to house, which is exactly what I wanted.

Lights on temps hover around 70-75 F,as high as 80 F when outside air is warmer, lights off around 65-70 F

My growth medium is a hand-mixed "soil-less" blend, similar to SuperSoil but different enough:
-%33 Sphagnum Peat Moss (provides structure, water retention, capillary action, and Ph regulation.
-%33 Vermiculite (pretty much same thing as Perlite, for porosity and water retention)
-%33 mixed organic composts, cow, sheep, chicken, deer, shrimp and fish, general vegetable matter, worm castings, etc.
-%1 various amendments, powdered eggshell, used uncomposted coffee grinds, blood meal, bone meal, epsom salts.

420-magazine-mobile300033858.jpg
420-magazine-mobile885436323.jpg

My current guests. All Crap King Seeds autos. (No that isn't a typo, cks has turned to shit since new owners took over. Won't ever get another penny of my money)

4x Northern Lights, 4x Candy Cane, 2x Early Miss.

Buds on last round were much better than the first, tho that's only to be expected with an extra 450 watts of lights and a better spread. Heat was a serious issue for a bit, will absolutely need to get some sort of AC in there after winter when the outside air stops being cold enough.

Had a warm spell a few days ago and it got HOT in there, poor seedlings all got heat damage to varying degrees but they all seem to have recovered and new growth is all nice and healthy looking, maybe a touch more lime than I would like but I did just give them their first flood watering. I expect that to stabilize tomorrow based on past patterns.

I also have another salvaged 6 socket bathroom fixture waiting to be wired, mounted and bulbed. Don't think I'll do splitters with this one tho, 12 more bulbs would put my amps a bit higher than I would like. Got a 15 amp circuit but it's already carrying at least 9 or 10 amps load and I like having a buffer. Thinking I might do 6 of these.
420-magazine-mobile164452278.jpg

Really starting to feel that 3tbs dose now, definitely not for the unhabituated. Trying to get a handle on it so I don't overfeed friends and family. Each cookie uses 1/2 a tbs. My dad will be good with 2 cookies. My step mom should stick with one. I'll stick to 4. 3 tbs is too much, I think I'll be using a personal day tomorrow. Know for sure in another hour or so.

Christmas cookies, with a twist.
Made with butter, coconut flour, and erythritol. A natural non-intoxicating alcohol which dried and powdered can be used as a sugar substitute.

Each cookie only 60 calories 1 gram of carbs. Bit heavy in fat but still better than anything store bought.

420-magazine-mobile222721798.jpg
420-magazine-mobile566616788.jpg

Temps are holding right where I want them but now humidity is low. Yay for leaving out bowls of water....

Yup. Thankfully I'm already planning a run into the city tomorrow, the thrift store where I grab the salvaged lights usually have a few humidifiers. Got enough utility space I can squeeze a small mister in I think.

Virtually every piece of my box and lights, with the exception of the bigass 200w CFL beast and the exhaust system, is either from a thrift store, from RE-Store (habitat for humanity's hardware and construction materials store, stuff left over from their own builds, contractor donated leftovers, and refurbished demolition salvage, all proceeds right back to their projects so you're even helping build houses for the poor by shopping there), or straight out the dumpsters etc.

The most expensive parts have been all the organic composts and the actual electric bills.

Virtually every piece of my box and lights, with the exception of the bigass 200w CFL beast and the exhaust system, is either from a thrift store, from RE-Store (habitat for humanity's hardware and construction materials store, stuff left over from their own builds, contractor donated leftovers, and refurbished demolition salvage, all proceeds right back to their projects so you're even helping build houses for the poor by shopping there), or straight out the dumpsters etc.

The most expensive parts have been all the organic composts and the actual electric bills.
And why not? Top Notch medication and cheap equipment to do it. Even building things yourself save money. You and I are alike in so many ways. That's why I always enjoy seeing you and I on each other's journals. Even with soils. Lol

I have a work "friend", we see each other outside for a game night now and then, share smoke during breaks.....he also grows, but as a "business", in amounts that are hard to get a Crown Prosecutor to be reasonable about....but I digress. I really liked his analogy last time we traded stashes. As close as I can recall, quoted below.

"Think of chairs. I'm the guy that makes 1000 chairs a day in a factory, and they do their jobs just fine. But you're the guy who only makes 2 chairs a year, and those chairs are works of art."

I really liked that perspective.

I have a work "friend", we see each other outside for a game night now and then, share smoke during breaks.....he also grows, but as a "business", in amounts that are hard to get a Crown Prosecutor to be reasonable about....but I digress. I really liked his analogy last time we traded stashes. As close as I can recall, quoted below.

"Think of chairs. I'm the guy that makes 1000 chairs a day in a factory, and they do their jobs just fine. But you're the guy who only makes 2 chairs a year, and those chairs are works of art."

I really liked that perspective.
That's a good way of looking at it. But we also grow for ourselves, it seems hes growing for profit, by the way it sounds anyways lol

That's a good way of looking at it. But we also grow for ourselves, it seems hes growing for profit, by the way it sounds anyways lol
Yeah. I don't exactly disapprove, I mean I've done business with him myself in the past, and I'm no hypocrite. But there a line where one can argue "I'm a heavy user with a hobby and I don't like funding criminals, let's get the slap on the wrist over with". And then there's "please don't seize my house, take my kids, and lock me away for 20 years".

I may be crazy, but I ain't stupid. And the fact that I know what and where, means others know what and where. And even after July 1st, if Mr Trudeau can keep his word (I'm waiting for the chickens to hatch before I start counting) that's still stupid without at least getting an artisan license (my application is pending) and you're still begging for mold and related health issues having that shit in your basement. A climate controlled box with dedicated ventilation is one thing, what he's doing is a recipe for disaster.

/end rant

Back
Top Bottom