NoobyMacDooby's Grow: Less Nooby More Dooby!

Noobymacdooby here with the start of my 3rd grow. As the title states I'm trying to learn to be a better grower so help and feedback appreciated. This will be my 1st grow however with good genetics. Super excited but nervous too, don't want to mess things up but that is part of learning.

Some grow info:

Indoor grow size:
1.7 x 1.5m - good plant amount, about 6 of them and I can reach the plants

Indoor nursery:
1.2m x 50cm

Lights: LED diy cobs and quantum boards for grow room, flurorescent for nursery

I got about 95% of my information on led lights from Growmau5 and built myself some lights. Got the idea of a somewhat modular setup from GreenGenes Gardens where you use a frame and make the lights in bars which can move along the frame. And my oldman happens to be an electronics guru so he helped me verify that I got the right parts and although the wiring is pretty simple and done in series, he did it for me making it look rather spiffy.

Soil or Hydro?
Both, doing soil and a deep water culture setup

If soil... what is in your mix?
Organic compost, bonemeal, coco, perlite, worm castings, kelp powder, dolomite, rock dust, mycroroot, ocean grow organic fert.
For seedlings: 50/50 coco coir / worm castings

Temp: 25 - 28 degrees,
RH of Room: 60 - 70 5 during veg - 40 -50% during flower
PH - 6.5 to 7 for soil and PH 5.5 for DWC

Pests, bugs:
Freakin gnats

How often are you watering?
When needed

I'm based in South Africa so I am limited somewhat in the nutrient and additives department but hopefully I can find or make alternatives for the bits I can't buy. Using Bio Bizz nutes for the soil when needed and EHG nutes for the DWC. I'l aslo be doing sprout teas + FPJ's and other organic microbe additives on the soil side.

I set up the space for seedlings so I can have a sort of perpetual grow or at least save on veg time. Used some bag seed to do some testers under the lights and to check the height and spacing:

top:
P10408211.JPG

side
P10408221.JPG

top:
P10408233.JPG

side:
P10408242.JPG

P1040830.JPG

And these are happily growing under a cob floodlight I got given:
P10408251.JPG

Then popped some seed:

P10408331.JPG

already on the go.

So far one seed popped. I was a bit too eager to pop seeds and did not check the weather or the moon. Popped then on the new moon along with a 2 day cold spell..... hoping real hard the other sprout too but it's only been 2 days so maybe panicking too soon.

Can't wait to see it finished

Me too! But it'l look pretty similar to how it was before, just filled with more plants:
P10406021.JPG

Grow update:

The tester plants are chugging along apart from the fact I'm pulling out 10 paw paw seedlings a day. That will be the last time I scrape worm castings from the bottom of the box..... was going to give them to a mate for his grow but not sure now with all the seeded worm castings in there. On the good side though I've managed to make a SST from them and gave some to the testers, they didn't mind it. Also made some FPJ from a batch of them. Ironically the wife has been trying to germinate paw-paw seeds for a few weeks now...don't worry babe I got you on this.

I've moved the LED light up a few cm to see if the testers will stretch for it:
P10408603.JPG

Another loco cookies came up and a Cuvee came up, super stoked on that:

P10408613.JPG

Currently watering with tap water. Letting it stand in an open container for 48hr with an air pump to remove the chlorine and then PH'ed to 7. Will switch to RO asap but the shops are getting very busy here now.

Well hope you get to try some someday...not a huge fan myself but pretty much everyone else loves them. A payaya strain would also be awesome!

Grow Update:

I've numbered the plants I have so far to help keep track of them. Will be going a bit overboard at 1st with data capturing on the plants in this run just to see what is happening where.

Lights at 6.5cm

Today temps reached 31c in the room with a humidity of 40% low and 60% high. Not much in the way of environment control in the nursery currently. Will be putting up insulation over the weekend to help combat the high temps

Watering with tap water, letting it stand in an open container for 48hr with an air pump to remove the chlorine and then PH'ed to 7.

the current 4:

finally a good use for all the egg boxes:

P10408682.JPG

and waiting patiently on these hoping I didn't make them duds:

Oh wait the wife informs me it's called papaya in your neck of the woods. Apparently only us South Africans and the Australians call it paw paw
There you go.....papaya I recognize lol.

My cuvee are showing face now .. how are yours doing

Oh nice and can't see any action on mine yet, but the one that popped early is racing ahead. You ever use anything like a heat mat or so? I usually just shove the seeds in the ground and that's it. Any special trick or small religious ceremony I can perform or is it just hurry up and wait?

Will post an update on the 5 seedlings that are going, not much to see but they look happy and are making the 2nd set of leaves

Nah I just leave them out in the sun and lots of water

Oh ok...guess I better pack the pentagram making kit back then, wont need to sell the ol soul yet.

Garden Update:

All of the plants have leveled out at 3.5cm with the light at 6.5cm Quite interesting as the Cuvee was 2 days behind but manged to stretch to the same height and then even out so going to take a rough guestimate that at 6.5cm that's going to be the general stretch range.

Then the testers, so more investigation into the origins of these plants seem to indicate that a bud hermied or got pollinated as I was the only guy to find seeds in the bag (Did someone say Chemdawg?..lols). Mine was a larfy looking bag though but still a good smoke. If the plants keep going as well as they are now I might just hide them in the yard and see what comes from them.

Took these pics after watering them hence the droop"

P10408753.JPG

P10408763.JPG

P10408782.JPG

P10408791.JPG

P10408801.JPG

Am I'm quite amazed at how the 3 plants growing under the floodlight are doing so well. It's a 15w cob that plugs straight into the mains and costs $2.50. No cooling needed either.

Back
Top Bottom