Ripe1 Grow2 Lunar Planting NYC Turbo Diesel & Cheese CFL & LED In Soil

Ripe1

Hey Folks! It's time for the second attempt indoor! I am experimenting with Lunar Phase planting and am very impressed so far! We're going with regular seeds from AMS. The Setup will be the same with a couple of additions....
Where:
-4'x4'x6.5' Tent

Light:
-Seedlings and Veg under a small CFL
-Flower under an LED

Soil
-Fox Farms Ocean Forest, Black Gold Organic, Roots Organic, all about 1/3 parts each with 10% perlite and clay pellets at the bottom for drainage. All of this will be rewarded to 7 Gallon Pots.
-Seedlings are in FF OF and Roots Organic w/perlite and expanded clay pellets. Solo Cups are going to be the starting lineup.

Seeds: AMS Cheese and NYCTurbo Diesel. All Seeds>Shotglass>Solocup.(Except 1 of each were planted straight to soil.)

Bonus Cards: I added a seedling mat and a new CFL as the LED was rough on the seedlings last time. Also a little heat lamp was added.

Nutrients: General Hydroponics GoBox: BioThrive Grow and Bloom, CalMag, BioRoots, BioWeed, BioBud, BioMarine, Black Diamond and Great White every 2 weeks.

O.K. with all of that stated, I have been combing these pages like crazy since I joined and of the dozens of GREAT articles, I found something that piqued my interest above all. Garden with the Moon. Moon phases and the power it holds on planting!
Then go scour the internet for more, like the farmers almanac and Maria Thun's research from the 50's and 60's.
There can be so much to it and I am trying a few things and principles from the theory at a time. In simplest terms, plant flowering plants when the moon is waxing, rooting plants when it it waning. I encourage you to do your own reading on the subject as I know little on it and should not teach it. Or you can watch me.
I decided after my own research to plant on 12/22/17. The moon was visibly waxing and was also in the constellation Pisces, apparently one of the best signs for planting , transplanting, etc.

I was out of town for these days so a helpful hand aided the effort. Seeds went into a shot glass over night only as there are only 2 and a half days of the moon being in Pisces. The next phase was Aries, (Christmas Eve) is not good for planting but weeding and tilling is recommended on those days. Seeds had to be in soil before the 24th so they went in 12/23/17. The Moon stays in Aries longer than most constellations. Don't plant or transplant Da Reef in this sign.

All seeds but 1 cracked in the glass. The morning of 12/23/17 everything went into a paper towel. That night, they all went to soil to avoid being planted in Aries. By 12/26, all but the one that did not crack in the glass were showing Cotyledons. A few seed cases were manually removed, 3 of them by me yesterday. The first seed to pop out of soil was one of the NYCTD planted straight to soil. Hmmm...

As of now, everybody has Cotyledons and the first true leaves. The soil looked pretty wet when I got home yesterday, so I won't be watering for a couple days. The light was too high when I got home so there is some stretch going on, but I lowered the light and they should correct. I am off for pics and humidity control. For some reason it is just low right now. I think my humidifier broke????

re: Ripe1 Grow2 Lunar Planting NYC Turbo Diesel & Cheese CFL & LED In Soil

So here is a bunch of pics of the process so far, thanks to a real McKoy. Sorry to lay so many at once, but I was gone and making a journal like one I would want to learn from is my goal on here, even if I fail, I want you to know why I succeeded or failed. So...

Cheese and Shots! 12/22/17 5:30 A.M. Right before the Towel
Cheese_Glass_2.JPG

NYCTurbo Diesel in a Glass 12/22/17 5:30 A.M. Right before the Towel
NYCTD_Glass.JPG

Cheese in Towel 12/23/17 5:30 A.M
Cheese_towell.JPG

NYCTurbo Diesel in a Towel 12/23/17 5:30 A.M
NYCTD_Towell.JPG

The Current Setup
The_Seedling_Setup.JPG
Setup_13.JPG
Seedlings_Round_2.JPG

Breakfast Of Champions 12/23/17 5:38 A.M
Breakfast_of_Champions.JPG

Find The Seedling 12/26/17 3:47 P.M
Find_the_Seedling.JPG

The Little Ones as of today. 12/28/17 10:00 A.M.
NYCTD_4_2.JPG
NYCTD_4.JPG
NYCTD_3.JPG
NYCTD_5.JPG
NYCTD_2.JPG
NYCTD_1.JPG
Cheese_51.JPG
Cheese_31.JPG
Cheese_29.JPG
Cheese_16.JPG

A nice start. One of the Diesels had a Cotyledon plucked off during sprouting as it was stuck and my friend was new to the process, as was I, at least he got it off in time, not 2 days later like I did. I had 2 humidifiers in there but one sprung a leak so the other (R2D2) is SUPPOSED to be picking up the slack. Right now it's leaving me hanging at 40% humidity with the temperature at 88!! CRAP!! I'll figure it out.

A FAVOR TO ASK OF ALL OF YOU...Please don't re-post my pics when you reply with quotes. Some of these journals have tons of extra pages that are just replay with quotes. It's easy to loose your place, re-read things 10 times unnecessarily and waste valuable learning time when you have to re-read the same post with the same pics a few times. Just leave the part you are responding to and delete the rest of the quote. Thanks in advance for helping me keep my journal tidy. More importantly, A HUGE THANKS TO InTheShed, Scientific and Gee for the help on the last grow. They were the ONLY ones there for a Ripe1 looking to grow. I hope to see them here again! Happy Growing all!

Looking like you're off to a good start Ripe! Are those feminized seeds or are you going to have 10 plants in that 4x4 tent? How long do you plan to veg? Small CFL seems insufficient for anything more than sprouts. Get some T5's or T8s in there for veg. Any reason not to run the LED in veg? Growing plants need light too!

Looking like you're off to a good start Ripe! Are those feminized seeds or are you going to have 10 plants in that 4x4 tent?

How long do you plan to veg?

Small CFL seems insufficient for anything more than sprouts. Get some T5's or T8s in there for veg. Any reason not to run the LED in veg? Growing plants need light too!

Not fems buddy. Whatever males show are gone and even a couple of the weak females are going to get plucked. I want no more than 6 plants in here. TOPS!!! Nice strong 4 would be great!
No plans, just watch. Suggestions? I will be doing some LST.
As soon as they are stable I'll be introducing the LED. I'm also really kicking around the idea of building a smaller tent for the CFL.

Also the LED is on in there, up high, 48", and still at the opposite corner.

Not fems buddy. Whatever males show are gone and even a couple of the weak females are going to get plucked. I want no more than 6 plants in here. TOPS!!! Nice strong 4 would be great!
No plans, just watch. Suggestions? I will be doing some LST.
As soon as they are stable I'll be introducing the LED. I'm also really kicking around the idea of building a smaller tent for the CFL.

How long you veg will really depend on how many plants you end up with! Gotta have room for everyone :). I think that a well trained plant could need 2' square so that's just four. If you go with 6 then you might want to consider training for a scrog to make sure every bud is getting light.

Here is Bignstrange's 4x4 grow. He has 5 in there, all pulled flat in veg:
531992c3c233d3213fee82465dcfff3b.jpg

TheMadDabber's single plant scrog:
7091caa279abc8e0d399feb0e62ef459.jpg

And the Rooster's container-based scrog:
420-magazine-mobile489130340.jpg

Things to consider down the line!

Welcome Urban, good to see a new face in here. I'll check out your grows when I finish my current sub list.

Shed, good idea, if I do end up with more than 3, I'll definitely do a SCROG. I am going to need another LED when they go into flower either way, not because it's not bright enough, but because the lens on it is more for a 2x3 tent.

Day 4 12/30/17-retro Update (Today is actually day 7 for them)

Alright, after my son and I missed our plane on the 30th due to a crazy accident on the highway, I got him off to the airport the next day (for $110, they wanted $230 to change mine...F$$$ that, I only paid $250 for it, I still had to leave town. The ladies are back in the care of my Roomie. However before I left, I managed to take some photos and now that things are calmed down here's the update...from the 30th mostly. Since lowering the light, the stretching has slowed a little. The temps have been a bit higher than they have been and than I am comfortable with. Most of the time they are sitting around 81º-83º F. For about 3 hours or so, they get up to 86ºF.When I went to refill the humidifier once and it was 90ºF!!!. Since I was gone my Roomie bought another humidifier that blows cool air to help get the humidity from the high 40's & 50's to mid 50's & 60's, and bring the temp down. Reports say we're doing better in both departments averaging 81ºF & 56% humidity. I also had to put a straw around one of the stem as the leaves are getting huge and the stems seem to be lacking strength. Nothing is dead or light burned so far. Nice!! Oh by the way, BIG CORRECTION here, my light IS a T5. Whoops. I'll edit everything relating. My dude should be posting some photos too.

Day 4 Updates

T5
Got_a_T5.JPG

The Basketball Team
Basketball_Team.JPG

The light is 2.75" above making temps climb into the mid 80's.
Light_Level.JPG

Co-Ed Interracial shot
Interracial.JPG

The NYCTurbo Diesels
NYCTDs.JPG

The Cheeses!
Cheeses1.JPG

Overall Look (the light is raised for tent work.
Set_Up_11.JPG

Any advice on better temps or humidity is welcome.

Mid 80s for temps are ok but I'd keep working on getting the RH up, especially at this stage. Since the stems are so slim you should get an oscillating fan in there on low to get them vibrating in the breeze. And while it's oscillating, get a bowl of hot water with a towel mounded in the middle in the path of the air. That should add some humidity as well.

They look good so far!

My buddy, bless his heart, posted this update as a new journal yesterday. He did great with the plants as you'll see, but he hasn't figured out how to navigate the forum yet. So, I'm posting what he did and I'll do an up date in the morning.

Update 1-2-18
Here is an update and some photos for the ongoing Lunar Grow I've been attempting. The most recent news is the purchase of a new humidifier to help with both the temperature and humidity levels. Since the addition of this the temperature stays between 77-82 degrees (typically stays around 77-79 in the mornings and 82 in the mid afternoons) and the humidity has been consistently in the 50s (typically in the mid to high 50s).
The plants have been drinking straight distilled water with no nutrients added.
I've also wrapped a straw around some of them to help support the stem and keep it from bending over too much.
All in all they are looking fairly well and most of the plants are even contemplating growing a second set leaves.

Here's a picture of them all together as a family.
IMG_050338.JPG

Close up of one of the NYC Diesel:
IMG_050547.JPG

And a side view:
IMG_050943.JPG

Here is a close up shot of the Cheese I planted directly to soil.
IMG_050749.JPG

Here's a picture of the straw I've been using to help support:
IMG_050644.JPG

Any advice on better temps or humidity is welcome.

Get creative with your space. I have my carbon filter in the tent. The fan is outside pulling air from inside the tent, through the filter, then from the fan its pushed into my heating ducts to the third floor. Fresh air is pulled in through filtered circular vents in the tent. This took me a while to think of and 20 minutes to do. Might have been an hour or two. My memory is muddy.

I have a backdraft stopper in the line to prevent the tent from becoming a heated room. The cycling of air between the drier third floor and the moister basement helps lower humidity a bit for me. I think. Winter is helping a lot.

Not saying this would work for anyone but it gets the juices flowing for ideas. Each persons space and needs are different. What would the A-team do. That should be my 2018 go to problem solving tactic...

IMG_008670.JPG

IMG_021255.JPG

IMG_009065.JPG

IMG_009177.JPG

IMG_022462.JPG

Get creative with your space. I have my carbon filter in the tent. The fan is outside pulling air from inside the tent, through the filter, then from the fan its pushed into my heating ducts to the third floor. Fresh air is pulled in through filtered circular vents in the tent. This took me a while to think of and 20 minutes to do. Might have been an hour or two. My memory is muddy.
I have a backdraft stopper in the line to prevent the tent from becoming a heated room. The cycling of air between the drier third floor and the moister basement helps lower humidity a bit for me. I think. Winter is helping a lot.
Not saying this would work for anyone but it gets the juices flowing for ideas. Each persons space and needs are different. What would the A-team do. That should be my 2018 go to problem solving tactic...

Nicely done and creative idea too!

Nice Urban! My roomie seems to have found a good solution. He just replaced the humidifier that broke with a new one. Temps are back down in the high 70s and the humidity is now staying in the 60s. The lowest it has been since the new humidifier was added is 56. It does drop into the 30s when the door is open. They are looking great! BTW Shed, I have had a fan on the top of those plants the entire time. The straws seem to have helped get their stem strengths up, but the light just must have been too high and they stretched in the beginning. That also has slowed if not stopped. It feels nice to actually get some positive progress on these.

Yo Yo Yo All! Good DAY 9 too be alive! Everything is looking fair to great in there. There is a little yellow spotting coming about on a couple of these, not like it was on grow 1 though! Humidity has been way better as have the temps. I am going to have to figure out how to get all these lovelies and the tent equipment to fit in there. When there was only 1 plant everything fit with room to spare. No way are these all going to go in there after transplant. Even when they get thinned out to 3 or 4, it is still going to be crowded in there. Also, I think I am getting close to transplant. According to Lunar Gardening, the moon enters Libra ( an O.K. sign to plant and transplant in) on 1/7/18, 3 days away. It enters Scorpio (the 2nd best sign to plant an transplant in) on 1/12/18. Those are our 2 dates unless we can wait for Pisces on 1/18/18 or the best sign to plant and transplant in, Taurus, on the 24th. Thoughts folks?

Temps and humidity are nice. It only drops humidity when I open the door. Otherwise we're parked in the high 50s through low 70s.
Tempidity.JPG

Team USA!!!
Team_USA.JPG

"Droopy" Cheese
Cheese3_Chop.JPG

A Side view of "Droopy"
Side_Cheese.JPG

NYCTD 5
NYCTD5.JPG

NYCTD 1
NYCTD1.JPG

NYCTD 4
NYCTD4_YLs.JPG

NYCTD3
NYCTD3.JPG

NYCTD 2
IMG_014264.JPG

Cheese 1
Cheese_17.JPG

Cheese 5 with some yellow spotting
Cheese5_YLs.JPG

Thanks for spending valuable time with me guys.

So I did it again! God Damn it! Correct me if I am wrong, but this has to be light burn. It showed up like this in a matter of hours. The only other things I can think of is; A.) One of the humidifiers takes salt to get it going and there is too much salt in the air.
B.) There is something being absorbed from the pan (but I think this would take longer to show up if this were the case.)
C.) One of you guys will know

The light was 2.75" above the plants, now it is about 6.5" above. I'll wait and see. Not all of them are getting it though. One is fine for sure and two or three others are barely effected. I am going back to look at the other journal to see when the other ones got burned. Perhaps it is something in my environment that I am not aware of.

Cheese_5_Burn_2.jpg

Cheese_5_Burn1.jpg

NYCTD_4_Burnteded.jpg

NYCTD4_Burn.jpg

NYCTD4_Burned.JPG

NYCTD3_Not_too_bad.JPG

Cheese_1_barley_burned.JPG

Still_Droopy_Cheese.jpg

Nice Job TD#5
NYCTD5_Champ.jpg

I hope the light raised will solve this.

I'm not the tent guy here but if it were your lights wouldn't it be the top leaves to burn and not the lower ones?

From the nute chart it looks like Calcium or Boron deficiency or too much Manganese (no idea how you would get that). Blow that chart up for detail:

1661120382352.png

Someone else here probably has a better idea but I thought I would post that as a start.

Well calcium and Boron seem to be the most likely culprit if it is not the light. Good looking out again Shed. Funny thing is, it was ten days when things went awry last time. I looked ant those ones looked light burned for sure. These ones seem to be different. I wonder how they could be deficient this soon. They are only 10 days old???? So do I feed them a 1/4 strength of calmag and some boric acid this soon?

Hard to tell with your soil mixture. FFOF tends to run hot so we often see too much of something in veg (Moonshine had excess N in his last grow). Dunno what's in the Black Gold Organic and Roots Organic though. I'd start with the cal/mag and raise the lights a bit and see what happens on the next set of leaves. Adding boron is touchy on its own.

Shed, I think I got it. Here's what I just posted in "Ask us Anything"

I think I just figured it out. Do you see that Vick's Vapor Humidifier in the back and to the right? Ya know, the one that is pointed right at the plants. The very same one that requires an 1/8-1/2 tsp. of salt to get going and sometimes spits hot water out the front after I refill it, probably right onto my plants leaving them to cook in the light with salt water. Not all of them are effected as bad or at all as they were not in the line of fire. As for the younger leaves being all healthy and all (so far...)well they weren't around at the time of the incident so they check out Watson! Does the theory?

Side_Cheese.JPG

Probably directly in the line of fire
Cheese_5_Burn_2.jpg

Then not so much...
Cheese_1_barley_burned.JPG

And again, one in free and clear, the one that was in the closest corner to the "Vapifier"
NYCTD5_Champ.jpg

What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom