My First Time DWC Grow Journal CK Purple Kush & Green Crack

willgrowsit

Hey, guys, I'm totally new here and totally new to growing anything period. I just started and am off to a very rocky start so I decided maybe some guidance is needed from you experienced green thumbs. So here goes!

- I did a DIY RDWC with top feed and had water sitting in it for about 4 days to get rid of the chlorine.
- I germinated the seeds using the 18-hour cup of water soak and paper towel method
- I planted into PH soaked Rockwool cubes, placed into a humidity dome and they took off great for about 2 days. I put lights on them for 24 hours immediately and they really got going. Now things are starting to slow down tons and go south. The last 4 days the tips started to brown and leaves yellow. Last night i decided to put them into the DWC 5 Gal buckets and feed with light nutes in hopes of that solving my problems. My current PH is 6.19 and ppm 260 but i literally just started to feed yesterday. I have one plant that you will see below that is looking ok but still has some yellow veining going on. Im at a total loss right now and last night i switched to 18/6 as well hoping they would look better in the AM and nothing. Help me lol IDK what to do and my poor seedlings are hanging on by a tread. Lights are about 3 1/2 feet up and they are 3, 1000 watt LEDs in a 96x48x80 tint. Also the conditions are 88 degree air temp according to my thermometer and 16% humidity. I put a laser thermometer on the plant leaves and its showing more like 76 degrees at the top of the plants. I do have a AC runnig in the tint to help with high temps but its sucking all my humidity so not sure if i should keep it running since the laser says 76 degrees at plant tops. Ughhh what am i doing wrong here are photos.

Fin-3.jpg
Fin-2.jpg
Fin-5.jpg
Fin-9.jpg
Fin-8.jpg
Fin-7.jpg
Fin-13.jpg
Fin-6.jpg

Hey, guys, I'm totally new here and totally new to growing anything period. I just started and am off to a very rocky start so I decided maybe some guidance is needed from you experienced green thumbs. So here goes!

- I did a DIY RDWC with top feed and had water sitting in it for about 4 days to get rid of the chlorine.
- I germinated the seeds using the 18-hour cup of water soak and paper towel method
- I planted into PH soaked Rockwool cubes, placed into a humidity dome and they took off great for about 2 days. I put lights on them for 24 hours immediately and they really got going. Now things are starting to slow down tons and go south. The last 4 days the tips started to brown and leaves yellow. Last night i decided to put them into the DWC 5 Gal buckets and feed with light nutes in hopes of that solving my problems. My current PH is 6.19 and ppm 260 but i literally just started to feed yesterday. I have one plant that you will see below that is looking ok but still has some yellow veining going on. Im at a total loss right now and last night i switched to 18/6 as well hoping they would look better in the AM and nothing. Help me lol IDK what to do and my poor seedlings are hanging on by a tread. Lights are about 3 1/2 feet up and they are 3, 1000 watt LEDs in a 96x48x80 tint. Also the conditions are 88 degree air temp according to my thermometer and 16% humidity. I put a laser thermometer on the plant leaves and its showing more like 76 degrees at the top of the plants. I do have a AC runnig in the tint to help with high temps but its sucking all my humidity so not sure if i should keep it running since the laser says 76 degrees at plant tops. Ughhh what am i doing wrong here are photos.

Fin-3.jpg
Fin-2.jpg
Fin-5.jpg
Fin-9.jpg
Fin-8.jpg
Fin-7.jpg
Fin-13.jpg
Fin-6.jpg
I'm no expert on RDWC but I hope someone helps you out. I just started a grow using coco, it's a style of hydroponic. Hopefully some chimes in soon...️

My First Time DWC Grow Journal CK Purple Kush & Green Crack

Don't feed just use water and get rid of the rock wool use soil you cannot go wrong

I'm no expert on RDWC but I hope someone helps you out. I just started a grow using coco, it's a style of hydroponic. Hopefully some chimes in soon...️

For sure! Good luck with your grow as well. Last night i turned the A/C off and did night 2 of 18/6 and its starting to look better! Fingers crossed things continue on the up and up!

Hey man, how are the seedlings looking today?

They are doing much better now! Not sure what exactly caused it but I'm thinking it was a combination of the AC unit lowering temps too far and it removing too much humidity, In addition, i didn't know how important PH was. I have since had the tent temps at 83-88 and water PH consistently between 6.00 - 6.20 Also I turned off one of the three 1K watt LED lights. They are sitting about 36'' above tops. The laser temp, when pointed at tops are showing right around 80. Light schedule is 18/6 and things are doing much better! here are photos of all 5 plants. They are recovering nicely showing no signs of browning leaves on any newgrowth.

Fin-14.jpg
Fin-41.jpg
Fin-21.jpg
Fin-31.jpg
Fin-51.jpg

They are doing much better now! Not sure what exactly caused it but I'm thinking it was a combination of the AC unit lowering temps too far and it removing too much humidity, In addition, i didn't know how important PH was. I have since had the tent temps at 83-88 and water PH consistently between 6.00 - 6.20 Also I turned off one of the three 1K watt LED lights. They are sitting about 36'' above tops. The laser temp, when pointed at tops are showing right around 80. Light schedule is 18/6 and things are doing much better! here are photos of all 5 plants. They are recovering nicely showing no signs of browning leaves on any newgrowth.

Fin-14.jpg
Fin-41.jpg
Fin-21.jpg
Fin-31.jpg
Fin-51.jpg
Looking much better, they are growing and new growth looks fine so they will be ok, great job nursing them back...️

Fin-14.jpg
Fin-41.jpg
Fin-21.jpg
Fin-31.jpg
Fin-51.jpg

They do look much better today.

Are you using a ph pen or strips?

Yes I'm using the Dr.Meter PH 100 here is a photo. Got it from amazon pretty inexpensive and works great.

CBF47EC2-8F2D-4DCF-8734-5DABA660D964.jpeg

That's should work fine. A few pointers for you since your new to growing.

Try not to get carried away with your PH. Depending on your pump size you want to wait an hour or more to check ph after any adjustment. Use small amounts of Ph down/up until you get a better idea of how much it takes to drop/raise your systems ph. Long story short, you don't want to be adjusting your PH 5 times a day.

You may want to go with a little less light or a little more distance from the seedling. They looked like they were getting a little too much.

You need to raise those LED's that's too close for the seedlings. It's not the heat you worry about with led it's the light intensity

Let me rephrase that....I think 1000w LED's are a little too powerful to be kept that close to seedlings. Everyone I put powerful LED's that close to juvenile plants it always caused issues

That’s should work fine. A few pointers for you since your new to growing.

Try not to get carried away with your PH. Depending on your pump size you want to wait an hour or more to check ph after any adjustment. Use small amounts of Ph down/up until you get a better idea of how much it takes to drop/raise your systems ph. Long story short, you don’t want to be adjusting your PH 5 times a day.

You may want to go with a little less light or a little more distance from the seedling. They looked like they were getting a little too much.

Understood and thanks a lot to you both for the input! Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

So do you think they are still too close at about 36"?
I turned one off before they started doing better so there are only 2 lights on now.

I will add a photo of the whole room setup below so you can see what I'm talking about.

My baby gals look like they are doing well now. All have either started to recover or completely recovered. Temps in the room are around 72 at lights out and 86-88 during lights on. RH is between 32-50 not really tracking it every time I go into the tint if I'm being completely honest. PPM is at 298 and my question is should I feed again? I have not fed in 2 days now because ppm looks good and I think adding will be too much (correct me if I'm wrong) Should I add more nutes or wait until my res change on Friday? How often am i supposed to add nutes to res? Do i need to mix them in a seperate bucket first then pour in or can i add directly to res?

My next concern is the res water temps! It's sitting steadily at 75 degrees and when I add frozen 2 liters they melt in an hour (id have to have 100 frozen 2-liter bottles of water and be a stay at home husband to keep up). The 5 gal buckets are all wrapped in some sort of reflective stuff from the insulation section at lowes (although after feeling it I doubt it has any insulating properties other than reflecting light lol.) I don't want to buy a water chiller and I'm not even sure it will work in my setup. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Here are some photos of my baby girls!
Fin-52.jpg
Fin-42.jpg
Fin-32.jpg
Fin-22.jpg
Fin-15.jpg

Here are some pics of my room setup from both angles

Fin-16.jpg
Fin-23.jpg
Fin-33.jpg

The temp in your Rez is going to cause you problems. Your lights on temp of 86-88 is also too hot if you can get your room temp down it will help your Rez temp. Your running LED's so I'm not sure why your temp is so high. We need to start there. What's the white thing on the floor of the tent connected to the ducting?

The temp in your Rez is going to cause you problems. Your lights on temp of 86-88 is also too hot if you can get your room temp down it will help your Rez temp. Your running LED's so I'm not sure why your temp is so high. We need to start there. What's the white thing on the floor of the tent connected to the ducting?

That is a AC unit but when I run it the humidity went to like 16% although it brings temps down. And also I'm thinking the thermometer may be flawed because when I use my ladder thermometer and point it at the plants it's showing 79 degrees but when I point it to the reflective surfaces that's when it shows 85 or so.

That is a AC unit but when I run it the humidity went to like 16% although it brings temps down. And also I'm thinking the thermometer may be flawed because when I use my ladder thermometer and point it at the plants it's showing 79 degrees but when I point it to the reflective surfaces that's when it shows 85 or so.

Do you have a inline blower setup in the tent?

I'm not sure of your situation outside your tent but unless your going to run that A/C the whole grow you need to dump heat out of your tent. I would suggest getting an inline fan if you don't have one. Set it up in the top corner of the tent and discharge hot air from the tent. You could Use that black fan that you have to move the heat from the lights towards the inline fan so I can be removed from the tent. it looks like you have it blowing on your seedlings in the pics. You don't want a fan blowing down on the leaves of a small seedling, it will dehydrate them.

Next thing I would do is move the Rez outside the tent. You don't want it in there picking up the extra heat from the lights. Try and keep your air pump outsize the tent if you can as well.

Using some paper plates or something when the plants get a bit bigger to cover the top of the net pots will help keep light and heat out of your nutrient solution.

I'm not sure what your running for a water pump, but an inline pump is a better option than a submersible if you have the option. Submersible pumps transfer heat to your water.

Ultimately your canopy of giant buds are going to absorb a lot of the heat and light so your Rez temps should run a bit cooler in flower. Lol

Again I'm not sure of your situation so some of these ideas may be of no use.

Back
Top Bottom