MMRC's Continuious Hydro Grow - Church-Lemon Skunk-PPP-OG Kush-GWS & More

MMRC Grower

I figured that I would start a new journal, since I cant re-name my other one. plus I cluttered that one up with a little too much information, like one too many pictures, daily PH, and PPM readings that no one reads and I already have two new cycles started, making what I'm doing now continuous, perpetual, or whatever you want to call it.

I'll still be finishing up my other journal until harvest but at the same time I'll be maintaining this one as well.

Here it goes........

Re: MMRC's Continuious Hydro Grow - Church-Lemon Skunk-PPP-OG Kush-GWS & more..

12-12-09

I started with some of the best genetics around...
11-22-098.jpg

I used the paper towel method to sprout them.
11-22-098-5.jpg

This is the light that I started them out with. 10, 23watt CFL. I grew a huge tomato plant under this light, So I knew that it would work well.
11-22-098-10.jpg

About a week later I ended up with 5 out of 10 sprouts. I would have gotten more but I over soaked the seeds in germination. The ones that didnt sprout were Hawaiian Snow and Strawberry Haze
11-22-098-12.jpg

11-27-09
I added a new plant to my collection. An OG Kush clone that I got from a local collective here in SoCal.
11-22-098-13.jpg

So this brought me up to a total of 6 plants of 4 different strains.
11-22-098-14.jpg

12-5-09
My Church decided to poke its head out, bringing me up to 7 plants and 5 different strains.
11-22-098-20.jpg

12-7-09
I stopped hand feeding them and hooked them up to a hydro drip system using General Hydroponics Nutes
11-22-098-23.jpg

Here's the specs....

Drip Feeder Hydroponics
30 Gallon Tote, filled up with 10 gallons of filtered tap water that my refrigerator filtered.
General Hydroponics Flora Series Nutes. Amount: Mild Growth. So we're talking 1 tsp of each of the 3, per gallon.
1 Flat Under-Bed Tote to put the plants in
1 strong submergable water pump
1 Dual fram air pump
2 air stones. One 12 inch long and the other is a 5 inch cylinder.
1 8 port dripper
8 drip nossles
some hoses and fittings and thats about it.

Nute Strength: Mild Growth, General Hydroponics Flora Series
Temp: 72-78 Degrees
RH: 25-50%
Light: 1-4 inches away from 10 32 watt CFL lights that are cool to the touch
PH: 5.5-5.8
PPM: Unknown due to tap water. GH's website say PPM for this nute level is 378 ppm, plus water the water is.
Light Cycle: 24 hours/constant

11-22-098-27.jpg

12-9-09
I started to have a little nute problem. probably because of the water I used. I flushed using RO water and everything fixed itself and came back together.
11-22-098-31.jpg

All 7 plants on 12-9-09
11-22-098-38.jpg

12-10-09
The roots are growing strong and looking good
11-22-098-46.jpg

The Church wasnt liking the stronger nutes that I was using for the others, so I had to move the Church by itself and continue to hand feed it.
11-22-098-47.jpg

12/17/09
Nute Strength: GH Flora Series. 62.5 ml Grow, 37.5 ml Micro, 12.5 ml Bloom, 5 ml Floralicious Plus, 50 ml FloraBlend for entire 10 Gal Res.
Temp: 77 Degrees
RH: 33%
Light: 1,000 Watt Metal Halide Light. 1.5 ft from plant tops. Air cooled hood.
PH: 5.7
PPM: About 540. Now using filtered Reverse Osmosis water.
Light Cycle: 18/6

I added some Hydrotron to the system. The roots starting to come out of the cubes and began to dry out, so I added the rocks for something for the roots to be covered in.

I realized, that I should have turn up the drip cycle. I had it dripping once ever couple hours, like it was a EbbnFlow system or something. I should have had it on a slow constant drip or at 30 minute intervals at the very most. I'm sure I slowed down growth a lot because of this.
11-22-098-60.jpg

12/18/09
Nute Strength: GH Flora Series. 62.5 ml Grow, 37.5 ml Micro, 12.5 ml Bloom, 5 ml Floralicious Plus, 50 ml FloraBlend for entire 10 Gal Res.
Temp: 78 Degrees
RH: 36%
Light: 1,000 Watt Metal Halide Light. 1.5 ft from plant tops. Air cooled hood.
PH: 6.0
PPM: About 540. Now using filtered Reverse Osmosis water.

11-22-098-63.jpg

11-22-098-65.jpg

Around 12-18-09 I also sprouted some Mexico Bagseed seeds that were given to me and said to have been very good for that kind of dried, compressed weed. So I thought I'd give em a shot and see how they turn out. I have plenty of room and light.
11-22-098-67.jpg

Here was my setup, back on 12-18-09
11-22-098-69.jpg

780 CFM Fan
11-22-098-70.jpg

I started to do some light LST training on my OG Kush to get it a little more bushy.
11-22-098-72.jpg

Forgot to water this little on. One unknown Mexico strain down.
11-22-098-74_-np.jpg

12-20-09
Temp: 75 Degrees
Reservoir: 10 Gallons
RH: 40%
Light: 1,000 Watt Metal Halide Light. 2 ft from plant tops. Air cooled hood.
PH: 5.9
PPM: About 540 ppm. Using Filtered Reveres Osmosis water
Grow Area: 169 Square Foot Garage
Ventilation: 780 CFM Inline Fan connected to 10" ducting. Plus Osilating Fan
System: Hydroponics Recirculating Drip

My unknown Mex strains
RDSC_0127.jpg

The Church hanging in there.
RDSC_0128.jpg

Here's the whole Family, besides the babys.
RDSC_0126.jpg

12-21-09
I decided to make a home made CO2 generator, with sugar water and active yeast.
DSC_01642.JPG

Here it is in action
DSC_01511.JPG

On 12-23-09 I decided that my little drip system just wasnt going to cut it, so I went and put together a Ebb and Flow system

Ebb n Flow/Flood and Drain
6 - 3 Gallon buckets
20 Gallon Res
Homemade Home Depot bucket controller

DSC_0177.jpg

DSC_0182.jpg

Transplanting from Drip to EbbnFlow system. Roots are nice a healthy.
DSC_01901.jpg

My water and nutes
DSC_0183.jpg

Here they all are, happy in there new homes. I put the seedlings into the drip system.
DSC_02132.jpg

12-24-09
1,000 Watt Metal Halide - Two feet from plants
18/6 Light cycle
Flood and Drain System - 20 gal res - 6, 3 gallon bucket - Floods 4 times per day
Plants in 4" rockwool cubes, sitting in hydrotron
6.2 PH
940 PPM
75 Degrees at plant level
20% RH at plant level
Nutes:
FloraGro: 187.5 ml
FloraMicro: 112.5 ml
FloraBloom: 37.5
FloraliciousPlus: 15 ml
FloraBlend: 150 ml
Cal-MagPlus: 100 ml

DSC_0225.jpg

Wohooo - first one in the new journal. Man, those roots are amazing. The plants are great too, but I'm a firm believer where the roots lead the plant follows.

Big props, tuned in for sure.
:yummy:

Looking nice man...a much easyer and more orginized thread :)
one of the strains i'm having on the next sett is OG KUSH. ;) waiting for seeds ;)

PEACE!!

Yesterday I finished up my rooms and put my plants into flowering!!! My room still needs a little work done to it, but for the most part all the marjor things are done. I need to get one more 1,000 watt light for my flowering room, a 600 watt for my vegitive room and a 6 inch fan to even out the pressure in my flowering room. Right now my 780 cfm is trying to suck the poly off the walls. So more to come, but this is what I have so far.

Oh... and I forgot to plug in my water pump the other day, so my plants are looking a bit droopy. I dont think it did any harm to the roots, but I havent had a chance to check and make sure yet, but the plants dont look too bad.

Here's my room. 10' x 13'
DSC_0428.jpg

My flowering room
DSC_0421.jpg

My ventilation... one for the light and one for the room.
DSC_0422.jpg

Another view of my room
DSC_0423.jpg

My girls....
DSC_0425.jpg

All 6 of my plants turned out to be females. Awesome!!
DSC_0426.jpg

I painted my res black to prevent light from getting in.
DSC_0427.jpg

My empty veg room.
DSC_0429.jpg

Once I get my light in here, Im going to cut the second duct in half and connect it to the hood.
DSC_0430.jpg

My seedling/clone room
DSC_0431.jpg

I got a bad algae problem because of these clear containers. I just bought black pots today that I'll transplant the plants into later today.
DSC_0432.jpg

... and thats it for now. Thanks for checking out my journal.

I got bored right now..... so here is a quick grow journal to catch this thread up to date.

I thought the music was appropriate. lol. I'm more of a Rock, Alternative guy myself.
MMRC Video

great video brother

So I finished up my room the other day and everythings going good. We're 4 days into flowering. All females.

The begining of this video is the same as the last one. It doesnt change untill the end.

Check it out and tell me what you think.

MMRC Grow Room

I still need to get a 600 watt MH for my flowering room, one more 1,000 watt HPS for my flowering room and a 6 inch fan. Then a few cosmetic details and my rooms are good to go.

Re: MMRC's Continuious Hydro Grow - Church-Lemon Skunk-PPP-OG Kush-GWS & more.

Got a question...... My clones are now 10 days old. I can see a lot of root coming through on some, a few roots coming through the cubes on others, and the rest I see no roots. Some clone have dead leaves, but for the most part, they all still look very alive.

My question is, what should I do as far as keeping the dome on. Should I take it off and leave it off?? Take it off only for a few hours per day?? Also what about light?? Should they be getting a more intense light now?? Should I tear the rockwool cubes apart so there not all stuck together??

I have no idea what to do next and there really isnt anything around that tells you. I dont want to take them out of there 80-90% RH dome and expose them to my 35% RH air and them all shrivel up and die. So I'm looking for a little advice here. I was successful with the rooting part. So far only one of my PPP's didnt make it that I know of. The rest seem to be doing good, with the exception of maybe one or two others.

Any help would be much appreciated.

So today I transplanted all of my clones that are rooted except for 3 (ran out of hydrotron rocks). About 5 of them didnt make it. I'm assuming that it was because of humidity being too low. The top wasnt on right for 2 days and the RH dropped pretty low.

Other than that, everything looks to be doing well. Here's some pics I took this morning.

My seedling/clone room
DSC_00472.jpg

DSC_00482.jpg

Here's some of my flowering room. I'm just coming out of the first week of flowering. I'm about to change out the nutes today.
DSC_00512.jpg

Added a little flash to this pic.
DSC_00531.jpg

DSC_00522.jpg

I'm thinking about making my own nutrient solution. I've searched and searched and I cant find anything that doesnt look like some form of marketing, when it comes to what nutes are better or the best. I hear GH is for new growers, or used because its one of the least expensive. So I think I might just mix up my own nutes and see what happens.

Here's what I found and plan to use as a backbone in the process.

There are sixteen elements which are generally considered to be essential for good plant growth. The macro elements are those required in "high" concentrations: Carbon (C), Hydrogen (H), Oxygen (O), Nitrogen (N), Phosphorus (P), Potassium (K), Calcium (Ca), Sulfur (S), and Magnesium (Mg). Carbon must be supplied to the plant as carbon dioxide gas (CO2). In a small operation or one with large amounts of fresh air movement, additional CO2 may not be required. Larger operations, or ones with high density plantings will need a CO2 generator (See CO2 enrichment, detailed below). Hydrogen is available in sufficient quantities from the atmosphere and oxygen is supplied from well-aerated nutrient solutions. Nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, sulfur and magnesium must all be supplied by the nutrient solution.

The micro elements are also essential for growth, but required in smaller concentrations. There is still some disagreement, but generally the micro elements are thought to be: Iron (Fe), Chlorine (Cl), Manganese (Mn), Boron (B), Zinc (Zn), Copper (Cu), and Molybdenum (Mo). Certain plant species may need others for good growth: Silica (Si), Aluminum (Al), Cobalt (Co), Vanadium (V), and Selenium (Se).

Small greenhouse operations often buy ready-made nutrient formulations, only water need be added to prepare the nutrient solution. Larger facilities prepare their own solutions. The commonly used salts and the required amounts to make 1000 liters of 1 ppm solution are given in Table 1. Multiplying the value for a salt by the number of ppm desired in the formula will yield the number of grams to be used per 1000 liters.

Table 1. Fertilizer salts (adapted from Jensen and Malter, 1995)
Fertilizer Salts element supplied grams of fertilizer needed per 1000 liters of water to provide 1 mg/l (ppm) of the nutrient specified
Boric Acid [H3BO3] B 5.64
Calcium nitrate [Ca(NO3)2·4H2O] (15.5-0-0) N 6.45
Ca 4.70
Cupric chloride [CuCl2·2H2O] Cu 2.68
Copper sulfate [Cu(SO4)·5H2O] Cu 3.91
Chelated iron (9%) Fe 11.10
Ferrous sulfate [FeSO4] Fe 5.54
Magnesium sulfate [MgSO4·7H2O] (Epsom salts) Mg 10.75
Manganese chloride [MnCl2·4H2O] Mn 3.60
Manganese sulfate [MnSO4·4H2O] Mn 4.05
Molybdenum trioxide [MoO3] Mo 1.50
Monopotassium phosphate [KH2PO4] (0-22.5-28) K 3.53
P 4.45
Potassium chloride [KCl] (0-0-49.8) K 2.05
Potassium nitrate [KNO3] (13.75-0-36.9) N 7.30
K 2.70
Potassium sulfate [K2SO4] (0-0-43.3) K 2.50
Zinc sulfate [ZnSO4·7H2O] Zn 4.42

Nutrient solutions need to be adjusted during the growing cycle of the crop and are different for each crop grown. Leaf crops generally need higher N, root crops need higher K, and fruit crops such as tomatoes or cucumbers should maintain relatively low N levels.

The nutrient solution for tomatoes is generally made in two or three levels for the various stages of growth (see Table 2, below). Only the macro nutrients change, becoming progressively more concentrated as the crop matures. The micronutrients remain the same throughout the growth cycle. The first stage of growth (Level A formula) is for seedlings from the first true leaf until the plants are 24 inches (62 cm) tall, when initial fruit is 1/4 - 1/2 inches (1 to 1.5 cm) in diameter. After that, Level B formula is used. While the formula in Table 2 has been standard for many years, some new tomato varieties may require much higher nitrogen and potassium. It is advisable for commercial growers to consult their seed company for the recommended nutrient formulas for the tomato variety grown. Optimizing the N:K ratio is important as the crop matures and as the available light and day length changes. Under high light conditions, plants use more N. High K during the fall and early winter months improves fruit quality. It is common practice to double the ratio of K:N during winter months when plants receive less light. The optimum pH of the nutrient solution should be 5.5-6.0. The pH of the nutrient solution can be lowered with phosphoric acid.

Table 2. Preparation of macronutrient and iron solutions for tomato (adapted from Jensen and Malter, 1995)
Chemical compound (fertilizer grade) Level A seedlings to first fruit set (g/1000 liters) Level B Fruit set to harvest (g/1000 liters) Nutrient Level A

(ppm or mg/L)
Level B

(ppm or mg/L)

Magnesium sulfate (Epsom salts) 500 500 Mg 50 50
Monopotassium phosphate (0-22.5-28) 270 270 K 199 199
Potassium nitrate (13.75-0-36.9) 200 200 P 62 62
Potassium sulfate (0-0-43.3) 100 100 N 113 144
Calcium nitrate (15.5-0-0) 500 680 Ca 122 165
Chelated iron 25 25 Fe 2.5 2.5

The micronutrients should remain at the same concentration throughout the life of the crop. Optium concentrations for tomatoes are: Boron 0.44, Copper 0.05, Chlorine 0.85, Manganese 0.62, Molybdenum 0.06, Zinc 0.09, Iron 2.5 ppm (mg/L).

Table 3. Preparation of micronutrient stock solution for tomatoes. Use 250 mL of this micronutrient stock in each 1000 liters of nutrient solution from Table 2, above. (adapted from Jensen and Malter, 1995)
Fertilizer Salt grams of chemical in 450 mL stock solution
Boric acid 7.50
Manganous chloride 6.75
Cupric chloride 0.37
Molybdenum trioxide 0.15
Zinc sulfate 1.18

If a concentrated stock solution is used for the macronutrients, then the calcium salts should be kept apart from the other salts in a separate solution. Nitric or phosphoric acid can be used to lower the pH if necessary; concentrated acid should always be carefully diluted before it is added to the stock solutions.

NEED HELP!!!! The stems on my clones are turning purple!!

Okay I have about 16 clones of 4 different strains. The clones are about 2.5 - 3 weeks old.

My PH has been up and down between 5.5 and 6.0.
My PPM around 480 (I think I might be too high, so I dropped it to around 390 tonight)
My Room temps... Not sure, but its been cold. I'm assuming mid 60's. Maybe Low 60's.
My RH around 50%
My Nutes are GH. I'm using clone/seedling strength with tap water.
Res size: 10 gal.
Lights: 4, T8 florescent 4ft tubes. 2 Blue, 2 Red.
Lights are cool to the touch. I have them about an inch from the plants. One or two plants might be touching the bulbs.

The only thing I can think of here, is maybe its too cold or maybe my nutes are too strong. Please help if you can. I dont want these suckers dying on me.

Here's some pics. I lifted the lights for these pics.

DSC_00962.jpg

DSC_00951.jpg

Purple Everywhere...
DSC_00971.jpg

DSC_0098.jpg

DSC_0100.jpg

The small ones are always giving me problems.

Back
Top Bottom