600W HPS Ebb and Flow NYC Diesel and Super Silver Haze

thistle3583

This is my first journal, and really my first grow. I've been lurking on boards and slowly building my grow room over the last 6 months. I ended up with a pre-fab tent for a flowering room with a 600W HPS cooled light. The light is cooled with a fan that draws air from the tent through a filter and the ducted hot air is exhausted out of the tent. I use 250W CFL's for veg/cloning and am in the process of building a bubble cloner.

Since this is my first journal, I'll copy/paste the questions listed.

What strain is it?
NYC Diesel and Super Silver Haze from a Dutch company.

Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid?
Both are hybrids, percentages unknown. The NYCD has indica growth habits and the SSH seems mostly sativa.

Is it in Veg or Flower stage?
Both
If in Veg... For how long?
Moms vegged for 30 days

If in Flower stage... For how long?
NYCD - 58 days
SSH - 30 days

Indoor, hydro, ebb and flow, 4' X 4' table, 40 gal reservoir

Size of light?
Aircooled, 600W HPS

Temp of Room/cab?
62-72 (78 middle of table)

RH of Room/cab?
55-65%

pH of media or res?
ph 6.0 ppm 1340

Any Pests ?
White flys

How often are you watering?
Moms - when they need it
Table floods for 20 minutes q 6hr
Water changed q 2-4 weeks

Type and strength of ferts used?
General Hydroponics Grow, Bloom, Micro

This is kind of a practice grow. I will post photos of the set up and plants tonight. I welcome all comments, but please remember I am very new and am learning on the fly.

I am learning about these strains. While lurking on boards like this one night wishing I had some weed I clicked on a seed ad and ordered some NYD Diesel without doing much more research than reading about it on a forum somewhere. I didn't know anything about feminized seeds so I just ordered the pot-luck 10 pack and nervously waited for the fuzz to show up at my door to ask about the suspicious package arriving from Holland. Fortunately, the internet does offer some degree of anonymity and the NSA has not trained it's sleuthing supercomputers on poor old doods that just want some relief for migraines yet so the seeds arrived packaged discretely. In addition to the NYCD, the company I ordered from sent along 5 seeds of Super Silver Haze.

I've spent the last several months growing these and selecting vigorous females to make into moms. I also have a strain from a bag that my friends and I call M&M because it was Medical Marijuana (still a rarity in our neck of the woods). The result is that I have three strains (NYCD, SSH, M&M) cloned to soil for a future perpetual harvest grow and two strains (NYCD, SSH) currently in the flower room at different ages.

The flowering NYCD was really treated badly early. I cloned her then had to go out of town after only 5 days, so I just put them in the flower room and figured they would be dead when I got back. The result is they are at Day 58 of flowering, Day 62 post cloning. They have struggled mightily and won't win any photo contests but they do have some nicely developing buds with crystals I'm gonna have to start watching soon.

The flowering SSH were also mistreated, but not as badly. I had to put them in the flowering room without any opportunity to veg. Some of them stretched alarmingly and some struggled to live due to crowding from a previous group of older plants. In spite of my attempts to move them around to balance light exposure, some of them were just runts that should have been culled. Remember I'm new at this and intentionally killing one of my babies that I've fretted over for weeks is not something I am good at yet. I did not know about low stress training, so I just bent some of them over at the side and wove them together to keep them from touching the light. I don't think this strain is suitable for my indoor purposes but I plan to train the clones I have of it to large pots and grow them with my tomatos on the patio.

The M&M has been a wonderful surprise. I grew out a half dozen plants and had an average of about 1.5 oz each that was very nice. It appears to be indica or indica dominant. Any educated guesses about it's actual strain would be welcome. I've heard from a friend who heard from a friend that it came from a SoCal dispensary and my friends and I theorized there must have been some herm qualities due to the presence of seeds. It's the only batch from a dispensary I've ever seen so I don't know if this is common or not. That story could be just b.s. and I somehow ended up with someones homegrow. Good homegrow though. I'm currently training her to produce the first set of clones for a perpetual harvest.

Going to post pics...

Attempt #2 to reference photos.

Here is the main grow area with the flower tent on the left and the cloning area on the right.

100_05131.JPG

The mom area - there will be more here soon.

100_05142.JPG

M&M mom D30 - I just transplanted and trained this one yesterday so she looks a little ragged.

100_05152.JPG

NYCD mom D30 - trained down today

100_05183.JPG

SSH mom D30 - I'm going to train this to a big pot and grow on my patio with my tomatos

100_05203.JPG

Flower room — NYCD D58 left, SSH D30 right

100_05221.JPG

NYCD bud - I know this is the one photo everyone will want to see and it's not a great one. I'll take them out of the tent tomorrow and take some better pics.

100_05231.JPG

SSH D30 flowering - I had to move all of the really stretched ones over to the far right and kind of weave them together to keep them from touching the light. I did this before I really read anything about training plants. I don't think it's ideal, but I don't think it's hurting anything right now. They have stopped stretching.

100_05271.JPG

SSH flowers

100_05283.JPG

OK. That's it. I am trying to learn, so criticism is welcome.

Some photos.

NYCD D59 of flowering. Ruler in the back to show that the top of the plant is about 8” high
100_05301.JPG

Closer view of cola
100_05311.JPG

Looking up
100_05331.JPG

Trying to demonstrate crystals
100_05361.JPG

This woven mat of SSH has me a little concerned about what will happen when the nugs start getting big. The NYCD should be gone by then so I can spread them out more and raise the light
100_05391.JPG

Lesson learned. Plan your garden to have similar plant height if you can’t raise/lower your pots :Rasta:
100_05402.JPG

Looking over the light down on the fan pulling air through the carbon filter
100_05412.JPG

Thanks for the bonsai suggestion. I've trained them a little and I'll release them and bonsai them - may have some interesting shapes.

I'm thinking I'll just keep my bonsai'd mothers in my living room under some nice little lighting arrangement. They don't look like the bushes people expect to see when they hear of an mj plant, I bet you could fool many into thinking it's something else.

Hey I am also doing a perpetual and have a ebb n flow table that I would love to use in the near future for my perpetual. The way I look at it is water is way less expensive then having to buy coco constantly and watering by hand. Thats just it though, I water them by hand and each plant in different phases of growth gets their own tailored nute mix.

Now if you grow all the plants in one ebb n flow table you obviously feed them the same food from start to finish. I always wondered, how does that work? You know I been thinking that all the supplements and PK booster I use might be a gimmick, or just all in my head because with the right base - you simple should not need it. I guess to find out is do a grow using the same food from start to finish.

Hey I am also doing a perpetual and have a ebb n flow table that I would love to use in the near future for my perpetual. The way I look at it is water is way less expensive then having to buy coco constantly and watering by hand. Thats just it though, I water them by hand and each plant in different phases of growth gets their own tailored nute mix.

Now if you grow all the plants in one ebb n flow table you obviously feed them the same food from start to finish. I always wondered, how does that work? You know I been thinking that all the supplements and PK booster I use might be a gimmick, or just all in my head because with the right base - you simple should not need it. I guess to find out is do a grow using the same food from start to finish.

Well, my plan is to clone 4-6 babies, start veg in ~ 10 - 14 days and veg for 14 days under 24 hours of 250W CFL light. I will hand feed the veg plants for now - I have a 3X3 table that I plan to use for veg when I have the funds and time. At 14 days of veg, I'll put them in the flower room where my ebb and flow set up is with flowering nutes. I always use the GH flowering formula for the flowering tent - I don't boost with bud booster or anything, but I'm new to this and that may change. I hope to put new clones in every 2-4 weeks with a resultant bi-weekly or monthly harvest.

Thanks for looking!

:welldone:Your grow is looking good man! One of my favorite strains is the Diesel, I love it's smell and taste. I'll keep checkin back to see how this goes for you. (looks good so far!):grinjoint:

I had a buddy come to town today so I chopped one of the little diesel plants. The trichs are only now becoming cloudy so it's a little early for harvest, but we wanted to check it out.

Here is a pic of the entire trimmed plant. This clone was put in the flowering tent after only five days of being cut from the mother. You can see how stumpy they are. I guess this is a little like lollipops I've heard reference to (maybe taken to an extreme).

100_05502.JPG

100_05473.JPG

We dried one of the secondary buds on the back of the stove to enjoy while watching basketball today. Very nice for speed dried bud - certainly already very potent.

I had a buddy come to town today so I chopped one of the little diesel plants. The trichs are only now becoming cloudy so it's a little early for harvest, but we wanted to check it out.

Here is a pic of the entire trimmed plant. This clone was put in the flowering tent after only five days of being cut from the mother. You can see how stumpy they are. I guess this is a little like lollipops I've heard reference to (maybe taken to an extreme).

100_05502.JPG

100_05473.JPG

We dried one of the secondary buds on the back of the stove to enjoy while watching basketball today. Very nice for speed dried bud - certainly already very potent.

That's going to taste soooo sweet when it's dried!

My that looks tasty. Make sure you dry and cure properly! Have you thought about growing several small plants like that? Don't have to worry about bottom nugs and whatnot.

Anyways, keep up the awesome work, and I'm looking forward to the SSH.

The NYCD finally started showing amber trichs and I cut them the other day. I hang them in the shower to dry and they look pretty pitiful.

100_05544.JPG

But up close you begin to see how crystalline they are

100_05552.JPG

I’ve also tried a few different ways to train my moms. One way, I pulled all of the first 6-7 branches open by tying them and allowed each to develop four nodes before pinching them back. I hope this will develop into a nice little compact bush.

Top view:
100_0556.JPG

Side view:
100_05572.JPG

The other way I’m trying is using a coated wire made for gardening that I saw in WalMart. I’ve spiraled it along the main stem of the mom and used this to bend the mom into a graceful shape that I hope will be an interesting bonsai.

100_05582.JPG

Well, thanks for visiting. Leave me a note if you came by :p

Great job bud. Have you thought about posting in other peoples journals and threads w/advice or questions? Other people will start checking out your grow if you've got the link in your sig (which you do). It helps to have the positive feedback and different perspectives.

Back
Top Bottom