Fuuji0019 Super-Skunk Closet Grow

fuuji0019

Hey guys!
So had a few problems germinating and lost all my good seeds, for some reason they just didnt sprout out of the ground, could of been many factors, such as the soil i was using, watering, heat etc...
So im back with some super-skunk seeds, 5 sprouted and growing nicely, but i've ran into a few problems which i hope people can help me out with.

Info:
Strain Type: Indica's [Super-Skunk]
Starting # of Seeds: 5
Room size: Closet Grow
Soil Grow: Perlite/Soil mix
Lighting: 400w HPS + Reflector
Water: Tap
Nutrients: [To be Decided]
Fan: 1 Small
Temp: Range 26c to 31c appx
Pot Size: 3 gallon
Desired Yield: 2 Oz+ pp.

Im also considering purchasing a Carbon Filer W. Extraction fan, to kill the smell as my last grow had no ventilation and my house became very potent!

The issue's im having i think are down to me having no nutrients yet, and the water im adding must have changed the PH, im hopefully getting some good nutes in about a week, but in the meantime, they'er getting worse, and not 100% sure what the problem is.

About 10 days old.
Photos:

IMG_3485_edited.jpg

IMG_3475_edited.jpg

IMG_3476_edited.jpg

IMG_3480_edited.jpg

:ganjamon:

Soil Grow: Perlite/Soil mix
Lighting: 400w HPS + Reflector
Water: Tap
Nutrients: [To be Decided]
Fan: 1 Small
Temp: Range 26c to 31c appx

1) What kind of soil?

2) Any reason you're using an HPS for veg? Or did you go straight to a 12/12? I didn't catch any mention of your light cycle.

3) Tap water can be "touchy" in that it can be fine for a while but one day when the water company decides to add chemicals and all it will throw the water characteristics way off. Assuming you're not on well-water that is. Distilled water is pretty cheap for a couple of liters, can't imagine it's too much more expensive across the pond :) This could be a problem with multiple larger plants though, that's a fair bit of water lol

4) Fan...small, how many CFM is "small"?

5) Temps...28C is pushing it imho, 31C is definitely too warm unless you're running CO2. This is most likely related to the small fan. What are your ambient air temps so we can determine your temperature rise?

Im also considering purchasing a Carbon Filer W. Extraction fan, to kill the smell as my last grow had no ventilation and my house became very potent!

Good idea...also check out Roseman's DIY odor scrubbing bucket if you're on a budget.

The issue's im having i think are down to me having no nutrients yet, and the water im adding must have changed the PH, im hopefully getting some good nutes in about a week, but in the meantime, they'er getting worse, and not 100% sure what the problem is.

With tap water, especially from a water utility, I'd check the pH every time before pouring it in with the plants. It could also be that they're simply getting too hot especially if you're pushing 30C+. I don't think that a lack of nutrients is your problem. Matter-of-fact, if you think the pH took a wild swing it is VERY possible that the pH is off far enough in your soil that the nutes that ARE available are being locked out. So before you go adding more nutes get that pH checked ASAP! If you do have a pH imbalance adding nutes is not going to help the plants and could actually make for more problems once you get the pH balanced again.

Overall they look pretty good for 12 days! Hope you fix this problem soon!

Hey Lil Neutrino

1) Soil, it was a mix from a friend, which he uses and says is fine but i cant remember what type he said. i'll have to find out asap.
Ive tried watering on alternate days and noticed the top soil goes crusty quite quickly :/

2) Unfortunately I only have a 400wHPS light, my last grow i started clones about a week or 2 old from my HPS but it was in a nicer closet with better ventilation. It seems to work fine, but ive got the light approx 90cm away as it is really warm in there, and although it should be closer, i dont know if its the best idea?? I could be wrong??

3) Ive been leaving a bottle of tap water inside the closet for 12-24hours before watering to try and level it out, but i dont have a ph tester yet.
I thought it was a lack of me having nutes because of this reason & I was guessing it was the water changing the ph, but i have nothing to correct/change the ph to sort this problem.

4) Im getting a new 9" oscillating fan this week, as the fan i have i havent been using much, as its on its way out, and doesnt seem todo much.

In the next week or two i can definatly purchase some good nutes/PH upper PH downer and a ph tester, just short of cash untill then :confused:
The closet is double the length im currently using, just not very deep, and with the HPS i think i will have temp issues untill i get the new fan.

I was also thinking maybe the perlite/soil mix is to much perlite, as the soils very light and loose so i was going to try and sieve some extra soil onto the top?
Going to be a poor mans grow untill i get payied in a few weeks. Im hoping they continue to grow, dont get worse, and i can fix the problems!

:peace:

Hey Lil Neutrino

1) Soil, it was a mix from a friend, which he uses and says is fine but i cant remember what type he said. i'll have to find out asap.
Ive tried watering on alternate days and noticed the top soil goes crusty quite quickly :/

Don't let the top crust bother you...it's what's underneath that matters.

2) Unfortunately I only have a 400wHPS light, my last grow i started clones about a week or 2 old from my HPS but it was in a nicer closet with better ventilation. It seems to work fine, but ive got the light approx 90cm away as it is really warm in there, and although it should be closer, i dont know if its the best idea?? I could be wrong??

HPS will work for veg, you can do an entire grow with either/or, just not ideal. As for the distance I wouldn't bring it any closer until you get those temps down a bit. Better to have a bit less light than some totally crispy and possibly dead plants!

3) Ive been leaving a bottle of tap water inside the closet for 12-24hours before watering to try and level it out, but i dont have a ph tester yet.

To let the pH settle or to let some chemicals in the water evaporate. If it's the former it's probably not going to change much unless you added something to it that needs time to react. If it's the latter read this post:

Chlorine will evaporate out of water...but NOT the chloramines​

I thought it was a lack of me having nutes because of this reason & I was guessing it was the water changing the ph, but i have nothing to correct/change the ph to sort this problem.

If the soil had good nutes in it to begin with in sufficient quantities you shouldn't be seeing deficiency problems at 10 days. Stress from pH lockout or large pH swings...yes, possibly.

4) Im getting a new 9" oscillating fan this week, as the fan i have i havent been using much, as its on its way out, and doesnt seem todo much.

*rubs hands together fiendishly*
Yessssssss.....yessssss, that will work niceeeely :reading420magazine:

In the next week or two i can definatly purchase some good nutes/PH upper PH downer and a ph tester, just short of cash untill then :confused:

pH meter first...because without it the rest is just a guessing game you don't want to start playing lol, but you know that.

I was also thinking maybe the perlite/soil mix is to much perlite, as the soils very light and loose so i was going to try and sieve some extra soil onto the top?

Do you know what the ratio was of perlite to soil? Roughly? You can add quite a bit of perlite before you get what would be considered excessive amounts...30% at least (1:3 ratioish).

Going to be a poor mans grow untill i get payied in a few weeks. Im hoping they continue to grow, dont get worse, and i can fix the problems!

Keep us posted and we'll help you out the best we can! :peace:

Day: #14

Thanks so far for all the info!
3 of the 5 seem to be doing well, 1 or 2 problems, but they're staying perky and growth is going great. Unfortunately 1 isnt doing too good, but im keeping it going for now, see how it turns out.

Still a little while to wait till i can buy more equipment, i probably started at a bad time, but im sure things will get better soon, for now, heres a few photos!

edited_IMG_3469.jpg

edited_IMG_3477.jpg

edited_IMG_3476.jpg

Day #17

So, good and bad... the 1 thats pretty ill, is close to dying imo, the leaves are mostly yellow and very crispy, its a shame, but theres really nothing i can do to save it.

The other 4, 1 is slightly smaller than the rest, but generaly ok. Some yellowing of the lower leaves + small brown spots in 1 or 2 areas, obviously from the PH of the soil still being off, but im having to wait for a week or so to stock up on new equipment.
Still dont have my new fan either, but im using the one i have currently, just brought it a big closer, and i think its helping make them stronger.

Also looks like i need to re-pot soon aswell, as the roots have reached the bottem of the pot, the ones i can see are nice and healthy.

edited_IMG_3487.jpg

edited_IMG_3473.jpg

With Flash:
edited_IMG_34771.jpg

just took a look at ur grow and it luks like bio-bizz soil like wot im useing bio-bizz grow,bloom,topmax and heaven are good combinations of nutes and are wot we use im told its the best. were ur seeds feminised???

Day #28

Havent updated in a while, but not much was changing, they still have a few problems, such as the bottem leaves going very yellow, with brown spots in areas.
Yesterday i transplanted the plants into bigger pots, added stakes and bought some new soil todo so; Perfect PH with added trace elements, and mixed this in with my left over soil/perlite mix. Hoping this will help out the plants to start off with.

Have got a nice new fan, but thinking its pretty strong for the small cloest, so got it bouncing off the wall, im thinking its helping with CO2 and heat though. Should be picking up a PH meter and nutes in the next day or so.

When transplanting all the root system looked healthy and it went well, im just hoping as soon as i get the neuts they'll pick back up.

Photos:

edited_IMG_3470.jpg

edited_IMG_3471.jpg

edited_IMG_3472.jpg

edited_IMG_34731.jpg

edited_IMG_3474.jpg

edited_IMG_34772.jpg

Problems??
edited_IMG_3478.jpg

edited_IMG_3480.jpg

Day #33

Since repotting the plants have shown great growth, and have become much healthier. Ive got the new fan working too which must have helped!

Ive bought some things finaly, Going to be using as of tomorrow;
Soil Ionic Bloom
Soil Ionic Grow
+ Co2 Tablets
PH Tester kit

Im going to be making up the neut solution tonight, and adding jsut after watering tomorrow morning. I hope i get the ratio right, as they're showing signs of progress now i dont want to mess up!

Photos:

edited_IMG_3490.jpg

edited_IMG_3482.jpg

Day #35

So started adding the nuet solution this morning, after mixing it last night.
I used 5ml per/L of water and made up a few bottles to keep, also added a 1/3 of a CO2 tablet. Hopefully should see some results over this week, and will be using the nuet solution twice a week.

I tested the PH of the tap water at 7.8, the neut solution is about 7.4, havent tested the water runoff yet but thats a job for today.

They're starting to bush out now, and going much better.
I started to measure them also:

#1 = 54cm
#2 = 40cm
#3 = 42cm
#4 = 41cm
#5 = 41cm

Photos:

edited_IMG_34773.jpg

edited_IMG_34781.jpg

Check your labels to see how long those mixtures you made will keep for...not familiar with that line but I know my EJ nutes say to use the mixture within three days iirc. I hope your pH of the run-off is a lot lower, at least in the high 6's, preferably mid 6's. Sounds like you're on your way though...looking forward to seeing the progress. Been wanting to use CO2 as well but just don't have the money for it atm. Would be awesome for summertime grows!

Im thinking that the soil at the moment is lower, about 6.8/7.1 and with the neut solution shouldnt go to high.

I hadnt thought about how long you could keep the mix for. Ive left it in the closet too, which probably isnt the best idea. What would be the possible outcome of using 'non-fresh' mixes, as my thought was to keep them for at least 24hours before use.

I've read and heard a few good reviews of CO2 tablets, so bought quite a few, only to find out that the ratio is 1/per100L !
So i used about a 1/3 of a tab, it didnt break up to good in the mix, but i was essentialy using more than needed anyway, so seems fine.

Just waiting for the days im happy with the flowering, if at least 3 they turn out female, i'll be so happy!

I hadnt thought about how long you could keep the mix for. Ive left it in the closet too, which probably isnt the best idea. What would be the possible outcome of using 'non-fresh' mixes, as my thought was to keep them for at least 24hours before use.

Aside from starting to smell...I dunno lol, good question, was just repeating what the labels on mine said. I'd say up to 72 hours you should be fine but not keeping them in the closet (lower the temp the better for storage of course).

Looks like your getting them balanced out now...Great job fuj. I just bought a 12 inch vortex fan and a fairly new type carbon filter atleast for me.
Its called
PHRESH FILTER 12"x39" 1700 CFM 1/2 the weight of reg filter Total cost was 845.00 But boy does it suck..Or is that blows...lol.. a little big for your place i would imagine.. Great job my man...

Back
Top Bottom