Health Canada Seed Stock Test Grow

Purple Goose

Okay well to start off I am a fully licenced patient on the canadian mmj program adminstered by health Canada and what I have in mind is Testing there seed stock .

Will be growing According to the packaging Strain F3: MS-17/596 Male x MS-17/338 Female Clone Harvested October 2008
Exclusively For individuals licensed or exempted Which I am if the administration of this site wishes to contact me for my licence number will happily provide it this test is also so others who may soon be licenced can follow what I did and hopefully avoid my mistakes .

As this is a grow for the entire community would like to get some more input from everyone especially experienced promix growers for tips.

Here is some more infor about the strain btw wich describes what its supposed to be able to produce.

The marihuana seeds have been culled from marihuana plant, Cannabis sativa L. 'Indica', cultivated and harvested by Prairie Plant Systems Inc. under a contract with Health Canada. These seeds are the first generation product of the hybridization of MS-17/338 female plants and the MS-17/596 male plant. The MS-17/338 breeding line female plants are used in the preparation of dried marihuana product currently distributed.

The packets of Cannabis sativa L. 'Indica' seeds should be stored refrigerated until sowing.

Description:
•The seeds are obtained from a strain of pistillate (female) Cannabis sativa L. 'Indica' (marihuana), which produced plants described as moderate in height (90-120 cm) with a moderate degree of branching (10-15 side branches) from the main stalk. The main stalk (branch) terminates in a dense, conical, resin laden flowering head of an average length of 25-45 cm, and the side branches bear smaller resin laden flowering heads.
•The plants are green to light green in colour and possess an aroma described as fresh and fruit-like.
•All aspects of cultivation and harvesting are done under strict and controlled conditions by Prairie Plant Systems Inc. utilizing standard operating procedures (SOPs) in order to ensure product consistency and quality.
•The marihuana plants are cultivated without pesticides, herbicides and plant growth hormones. All fertilizers used consist of water-soluble hydroponic vegetable fertilizers commercially available for horticulture. The plants are cultivated in a pasteurized soil-free medium and irrigated with potable water, which is monitored monthly for microbial and metal contents including heavy metals.
Okay sounds good so far doesnt it and this is the other info is on what they say this strain can produce.
Here is that info as well.
•Cannabis sativa L. 'Indica' MS-17/338 is a breeding line with THC concentration typically higher than 10%. The plant component containing the highest concentration of THC is mature flowering heads.
•Many factors may influence the cannabinoid concentration and chemical profile. Genetic stock of marihuana plant is a predominant factor as well as moisture content at the time of analysis, methods of cultivation and harvesting, and general chemical degradation of stored material.
•Despite the ease of cultivation of marihuana plants, the THC concentration of mature flowering heads and other plant materials may vary significantly due to lighting and fertilization conditions. A 12 hours photoperiod is recommended at flowering time.
Now according to there info on the dried product this is what they say they are producing with these seeds.
•The marihuana has been harvested from the selected line MS-17/338 and is comprised of mature flowering heads of female plants.
•The dried marihuana provided has a THC level of 12.5 ± 2% and a moisture content of approximately 14%.
So they say they get 12.5% thc up to 15% and only 10% as the low in my books that can be pretty good bud when you consider White Rhino or Great White Shark from GHS are around that level of thc.

No seeing as prairie plant says this is the strength of there bud look how dry they get it 14% water normally I see plants dried down to 20-25% of there wet weight but if they are drying theres down to 14% that has got to be awful damn dusty and they dont cure it they merely dry it to hay then mill the entire plant then irradiate it to kill mold and the guaranteed analysis and get 12% thc which isnt the strongest but its pretty good in my books but everyone I know of who has purchased there dry product says its terrible but look at what there product looks like if this picture is to be believed.

2590-flinflon2a.jpg

lg-cannimed-1.jpg

Now I think this stuff looks not to bad but I would say they are destroying it by how they treat it and would love to really find out for certain.

Anyways will give some info on my current plan which is to start 4 of there seeds and hopefully get 2 females they claim the germination rate is 80% and generally higher then 50% female ,

On October 26th I germinated 4 seeds using jiffy pucks at 10am in the morning on the morning of october 28th I woke up to 4 seedlings making there way out of the pucks and by that evening I had these.

S7301722.JPG

S7301723.JPG

S7301724.JPG

S7301725.JPG

So so far we have already 100% germination rate with a pretty fast rate I must say in less then 60 hours they are fully emerged from there seed cases with no presoaking in a glass or paper towel just straight into jiffy pucks.

So now I will grow them up over the next few weeks to provide a healthy mother Which I hope I will have within the next 4-5 weeks was wondering however If i move the plants into my flower room for long enough to sex them then return them to 24/0 lighting will they hermi? or will they return safely to veg?

Once I have a mom will take enough cuttings to get about 10 plants.

And finally for the grow I wanted some opinions on how you all would go about feeding them with general hydro flora nutes in promix bx soil.

My plan was to use the lucas formula every 3rd water so Feed water water feed. But very open to suggestions from the community on how they would use these nutes.

My setup is a very basic grow area a 4' 4bulb flourescent light for my moms at 24/0 lighting and for clones I will root under my 150w cfl bulbs then veg them for 14 days then move them into my veg room and put them under my 1000w MH for another 7 days then put them to flower under my hps.

The climate in this room holds around 78 degrees 42% humidity .

So there we go hope you find this interesting and really hope for some input on optimal feeding that will get good results so I can determine if this strain is of any medicinal use at all.

Re: Health Canada Seed Stock Test Grow.

Yep the big grow pics are from the flin flon mine you have to admit those are nice looking plants.

Nice, and yea they do look like some pretty nice plants, I wonder if they just crop the whole plant minus stems or something to get that 12% seems a little low for a high end grow.

Well according to there info they harvest the flowering heads and then mill them and dry to 14% water and all I can think is they have a big pile of untrimmed buds they dry them out till they would crumble to dust pretty much and then throw them in a wood chipper because the pictures I found once of there bag of finished product looked like a big bag of shake. But if it was really 12%thc which I figure after 10 years and all the people who have made the program who are activists at least one of them should have taken there supply to someone who is a major medical marijuana activist group and had them test the validity of this claim.Hell if anyone knows of any big time activists in Canada who I could contact I would check with a Lawyer relative of mine wether it would be legal for me to go to a testing lab and ask them to test a sample of my medicine to ensure it is what they say it is. Personally I think it would be well within my rights to have it tested .

But anyways point was originally they take a bunch of nice buds covered in trim and dry it to dust which will degrade the thc not to mention the flavour, they dont cure it at all to lock in the wicked aroma and flavour and then they grind it all up into powder , they grind it they say to ensure the potency is equal thru out so Dr's can prescribe it more accurately so if you have 1gram of pot at 12%thc the Dr knows there is .12 grams of thc and if you ever read there pamplet on bud they say an average high potency joint contains .05 mg of thc so one gram equals 2 joints of .06 mg if a dr is actually prescribing it like a regular prescription drug. But we know this doesnt work the only way to use cannabis properly as a medication is thru self tritation or in other words smoking untill you start to feel the effects put out the joint wait a few minutes see what happens if you need more smoke a bit more and after about the 4th joint of any pot you know exactly how big to make your dose and as we become tolerant to the strain we increase the size of our dose.

But I did send this question to the medical marihuana access division and received no response , I asked seeing as my dose per day is 10grams of smoked and eaten marijuana basically I smoke 4 grams and ingest about 6 which is made into tinctures,brownies,cookies etc, anyways I asked them do youthink it is as healthy for me to use 10grams of your lower grade marijuana each day as it would be to be able to buy high grade seeds from the seed banks in amsterdam which would allow me to double the potency of my marijuana medication and therby be able to decrease the amount I smoke by at least 1 half so instead of 8 .5g joints per day or 4 .5g joints per day?
I did admit as far as ingested marijuana goes the amount I have to eat doesnt really make a difference as there is no physical irritation from eating it opposed to smoking which everyone knows inhaling burning plant matter isnt good.

Well anyways they havent answerd yet and its been 4 months but I did see an article that showed that prarie plant systems is in a bidding war to continue to be the supplier it appears health canada is allowing other growers the opportunity to bid on the contract and they are taking into account the ability to supply multiple strains of varying potency as it appears they are starting to take into account that thc alone doenst determine medicinal value . Which I have personally always believed to be true because when I see people who smoke bud for anxiety and depression the majority I notice use low-mid potency bud that has incredibly subtle aromas and flavour and I have thought it must be a type of aroma therapy because when I am a bit axious or pissed off and I have to work in my grow room within 20 minutes of entering and inhaling the rich aromas I feel much more centered . Just wondering does anyone else find they feel more relaxed and centered emotionally after a bit of time in there grow room beside me.

Hey there Cat, long time no see I am very glad you got your Certification from HC. I remember it was not long ago you were buying off the street in your minivan if I remember correctly with much disgust and worry.
I also experience a relaxed and centered feeling while working in the grow room. I was Busted and am going to Trial Monday Nov 1st but will be sending new members by to see your progresss. I hope you have huge harvests never suffering from shortages or having to buy meds on the street again.
:bigtoke: :welldone:

Thanks Wingman It just sucks about getting busted specially when your a licenced thats why if obama really wants to protect medical marijuana patients and caregivers he needs to at least draft a law that backs up any state who adopts medical marijuana on a federal level basically if the state votes it in then the feds have to embrace that states law when it comes to medical marijuana patients and caregivers allowing them to use mmj as a defense it wouldnt be like he is legalizing marijuana or decriminalizing it would only be puting his policy into a formal law so federally the us govt acknolwdges medical marijuana laws in the states that adopt them, hell if he was smart he would realize that within 10 years its going to be legal anyways at the rate things are going.

But on the other hand for growing this health canada strain in promix how would you go about feeding them I was considering either full strength lucas then water twice before feeding again either that or lucas at 30% strength every watering and only watering enough to get minimal runoff and then doing a heavy flush type watering every 4th week to check ph and wash out any built up salts unless the plants show any type of lockout ,deficiency or nute burn .

But would love to hear what type of feeding schedule you and the rest of the readers of this journal would go with using the nutes I already have which is Gh flora 3 part, Maxibloom (mixed at 7.5g/gal =Lucas formula) then for additives I have very basic Gh floraBlend vegan tea, Floranectar(carb additive) pro silicate ,calmax and kool bloom liquid, and of course blackstrap I wanted to only use very basic nutes for a long while till I get really comfortable with growing then will try getting fancy but from what I have read the base nutes I bought the flora and maxibloom are pretty easy to use and the additives are also pretty basic

But if you only had these nutes to work with because of budget and using promix do you think I would be better using full strength lucas formula then watering twice or half strength lucas every other watering love to hear what you and every else thinks would be a good feeding schedule that will grow good healthy plants with the nutes I have?

Well here are the seedlings now after 2 days of 24/0 lighting under 200w bulb.
S7301818.JPG

S7301819.JPG

S7301820.JPG

Well all I can say is they are growing fairly vigorously alrady and as you can see they are definately are nearly pure indica.

Well just a little update I have decided that to really make this a fair test I was going to start a couple of other strains GHS Great White Shark and El Nino females will grow them up with the MS17 strain and see how they all compare .

And a pic update the new seedlings from health canada are doing wonderful here are some shots of t he group plus some macro shots to show how not only have they just started the 4th internode but they have started there lateral branching as well.
First shot is the Ghs Strains Top is el nino bottom GWS they are 2 and 4 days old.
Flower_Day_26_40_.JPG

And now Health canadas MS 17/338
Flower_Day_26_41_.JPG

Flower_Day_26_43_.JPG

Flower_Day_26_42_.JPG

Flower_Day_26_45_.JPG

Flower_Day_26_46_.JPG

Flower_Day_26_48_.JPG

Well there we go these seedlings are 7 days old as of today and have recieved there first feeding using maxibloom at 1/4 tsp per gal.

According the actual growers of these say that they produce 12-24" colas so I am hoping that the bad reports about it is because of how they process them.

Nice to see a grow with this strain, i'll be doing one soon as well :yahoo: I have to agree that the ready to smoke product they (HC) supply is quite pathetic, at least if it was whole bud's it would be much better i think :bong:

If they turn out anything like those pic's they should be sweet! :)

I have just been camera less and as they are in veg stage right now not much to really show as my plan is to get the plants large enough to take enough cuttings from all my plants to fill a 25 square foot space under my 1000w lamp. I should actually have access to some sort of camera this weekened I think so will get some picks to show the growth. But at 29 days and some topping fimming and pruning they are about 6" tall but have about 6 sets of branches and about 4 tops per plant but as you know the prunning causes quite a slow down in size development and increases maturity and overal vigor.
Where they are at now however they wont be pruned anymore for 2-3 weeks when I take cuttings, I can tell you however they outperform GHS great white shark and el nino strains by at least 75% more growth in the same period of time and when you pluck a top or fan leaf from the hc plants they smell strongly of fruit and skunk, will get pic up tomorrow even some shitty ones and an outline of the feeding they have received so far.

Figure I should do the Stat info on feeding and so on tonight and just post pics tomorrow .

Running all the plants on the same feeding schedule using Maxibloom as base nutrient throughout the grow with additives of florablend,floranectar,calmax,prosilicate,Greenup,molasses and during flower will only add liquid koolbloom to the mix,

At day 10 they received First Feeding 1/4tsp maxibloom/gal ,15ml greenup / gal ph 6.2
Day 12 Foliar feed Kelp extract 5ml/L , calmax .25ml per L
Day 14 Ro water ph 6.2
Day 16 Foliar feed Kelp extract 5ml/L , calmax .25ml per L
Day 18 1/2 tsp maxibloom/gal ph 6.2
Day 20 Foliar feed Kelp extract 5ml/L , calmax .25ml per L,5ml florablend/L
Day 23 10ml Florablen,1tblsp molasses, 5ml calmax ,2.5ml prosilicate ph 6.2
Day 28 Ro Water ph 6.2
Day 30 Foliar feed Kelp extract 5ml/L , calmax .25ml per L,5ml florablend/L

So Far growth has been excellent and all plants have responded well with only one of the Health canada Strain showing a very minute amount of nutrient burn which quickly went from the yellow to dead greyish tissue and then never spread any further only leaving the nutrient scars. The feeding regiment I am going by is based on the schedule I had good success with the indica dominant hybrid I found while on a walk and took a cutting of (awesome decison) anyways pics tomorrow.

Well some pics of all the plants as promised they have all been heavily pruned while vegging the past 35 days as I am attempting to make these plants grow into bonzai moms or at least nice short stocky ladys. As I said before To give me some room for comparison I am also growing out GHS Great white shark and El nino as well as cuttings from a strain I call Oliver Twist Hoping this will give me a good range to compare them too.

As for the health canada strain at 35 days the girls all have a nice fresh fruity/skunk aroma where the Green house strains have only a fresh green smell same as my Oliver Twist , so I think these have the potential to really stink up the place anyways on with the pics,

Test_Grow_Day_35_24_.JPG

Group shot of the HC plants
Test_Grow_Day_35_22_.JPG

Test_Grow_Day_35_21_.JPG

Test_Grow_Day_35_20_.JPG

Test_Grow_Day_35_19_.JPG

Test_Grow_Day_35_9_.JPG

Great White shark 28 days old.
Test_Grow_Day_35_14_.JPG

Test_Grow_Day_35_8_.JPG

El Nino 28 days old
Test_Grow_Day_35_7_.JPG

Oliver Twist
Well thats it for now Hopefully will be ready to take cuttings from the plants in about 2 more weeks hoping to time it so my cuttings will be rooted for a week by the time my Current Grow finishes.

Back
Top Bottom