Two 550 Watt LEDs on a Light Mover in a Tent

leonardo

High everyone!

I'm doing this grow journal to show the world, and see for myself, if LED lights are ready for prime time yet. And to get some great advice, since this is pretty much my first real grow I'm going to need all the help I can get.

Here's an inventory of what we'll be working with, and a video that shows it all and the grow room it's in.

- Lights: 2x Pro-Grow 550 watt (selective switch) by Hydroponics Hut. These two lights will be hanging from a Light Rail 3.5 mover.

- Strain: 20x "local" Kush (I can't tell the name of the kush strain without giving up my location), 22x Mystery Kush, 2x Headband. 44 plants total right now, will probably flower 40 of them.

- Pots and Medium: 40 plants are in 3 gallon Smart Pots, 4 are in 3 gallon plastic pots. Medium mix includes about 85% Roots Organics cocofiber, about 15-20% Glacial Humus and a dash of Mykos in the mix and a tablespoon under transplants.

- Nutrients: Humboldt Nutrients line (except Hum-Bolt);
- Master A & B
- Verde
- Sea Mag
- Sea Cal
- Big Up Powder
- Ginormous
- FlavorFul
- ProZyme
- Myco Madness
- Humboldt Roots
- Humboldt Honey ES

- Room Set-up: 4'9" x 9'6" tent inside a small plastic room. A 6" inline fan connected to a HEPA filter brings in fresh air, a 6" inline connected to a carbon filter takes air out, both run on dimmers 3 times daily for 15 minutes. A duel hose (not connected) 12,000 BTU AC/dehumidifier is in there to maintain humidity too.

If you want to watch the video in HD you can do that on the YouTube website.
YouTube - LED Grow Journal Start

Ok, I've got a quick update. I've also got a few questions in the video...

- Can you recycle dehumidified water from the AC/dehumidifier and use it for your watering solution?

- How's the CO2 set up looking? Flow meter is just below "2" on the setting (the lowest setting on the flow meter), and I think I want to get .35 CSF, which confuses me because there's nothing near that low on the flow meter.

- How many plants should I keep in the tent to flower? I'm having a hard time deciding what would be the best number and still be able to get in there to water and occasionally prune without hurting any plants.

If you have any advice, it would be greatly appreciated, many thanks.

YouTube - LED Grow Journal 10/19/2010

Ok folks, I know not many people are watching, but I have another update. I don't plan on putting up this many videos this frequently, but I'm having some trouble getting the grow room dialed in and could use some help.

Right now the number one priority is to get the humidity levels under complete control, then I'll do the same with temp. But right now, for some odd reason, I cant get the left side of my tent to cooperate and the humidity levels are staying much higher then the right side. The humidity level in the left side seems to always stay in the 70s unless I have the door completely open, while the right side seems to stay just a % or two higher then the plastic room with the dehumidifier and I have great control over it. So I've got to get the left side under control quickly, if you have any advice please let me know.

YouTube - LED Grow Journal 11/20/2010

What are you running for circulation fans?

You can equalize temps and humidity by using circulation fans in different places and pointing at different angles.

I don't like blowing my plants around too much, so I position and point them accordingly, and it keeps things even.

Yeah, there's an oscillating fan, two other fans and a little one, so the air is getting circulated well. That's why I'm so confused, I'm starting to think the temp/humid device is defective. So, a few hours ago I put the two "outside" censors right next to each other, next chance I have to look at it should tell me if one is broke if they are too far off each other.

I'd try putting the circulation fans in different positions and/or angles. You'd be amazed at how much even a small change in fan position can affect circulation.

After testing different positions, my favorite setup is to have fans blowing straight up at a 90-degree angle towards the lights, with additional fans as necessary.

You also have to remember that Co2 is heavier than the surrounding gases(air)! Make sure that you have a fan to "pick" the Co2 up off the floor and redistribute it back up to the top of the canopy!

As far as your humidity issues go. It looks like you have more plants on one side versus the other. If so, the transpiration of the plants is going to be greater. There is also more evaporation with the greater surface area(soil exposed). In turn your rH goes up!

On a side note! I love your videos. The one thing that is a bit of a problem is when the fans come around your way! It makes it impossible to hear what you are saying!

Thanks for the good advice guys! I can't get into the room tonight, but tomorrow I'll put one of the black fans on the ground at a 90* angle on the side that stays more humid and see if that helps, I'll also check the two sensors that I put right next to each other to make sure the barometers are working fine on them and are reporting the same numbers, I may buy another one tomorrow too.

I'm glad you like the videos, it's really easy to do and I can do it all from my phone, so I'll keep them coming frequently until I get this room dialed in. I noticed the fans and ruffling too, and I've been talking kind of quiet cause I'm trying to impress the landlord by not being noticeable at all. But I'll be more mindful of it and start talking louder too.

Great videos. I'm more interested in how you did all that with a phone.

As far as humidity is concerned, 70 isn't too high for night time lights off and is just a little on the high side for lights on but will be ok as long as you have good circulation.

I believe the tent should be cycled for air more often than you are so maybe check into more exhaust fan time.

I would not use water from a dehumidifier. I don't know one way or the other but I wouldn't do it.

Also regarding humidity you should be treating for mold and fungus regardless.

Sulpher is a preferred method for a lot of growers.

This looks interesting - was not able to get thru the videos - slow connection on my end I guess. Anyway, did you say that its a Growlab tent?

I don't have a lot of experience growing but I have used root and smart pots and I would make one recommendation - if you are going to pack them together so that the sides of the pots are flush together then the roots can and will grow from one pot to the other. No big deal if you are moving your pots around on a weekly basis. If you are not, then I would recommend a 1/4 turn every few days.

Just a suggestion.

Good luck - I am really interested the the LED performance!

:welldone:
:peace:

Ok, here's another video update...

So, I've been told the water that comes out of the dehumidifier is distilled and is great for watering, what does everyone else think about it? Has anyone else tried it? I keep forgetting to test the PPM when I'm in there.

Pop Kulture, yeah its a GrowLabs GL145L tent.

YouTube - LED Grow Journal 11/22/2010

How do you plan to water them when they are bigger?

I'm interested to hear what the PPMs are in the dehum water.

Looks like the fans are a bit strong? JMO.

I'll be taggin a long to see how this comes out. :ganjamon:

Saturn, I've got a wand and I'll be trimming off the bottom halves of them too. I'll talk about it in the next video update, I'm making some other changes to the room.

Back
Top Bottom