Deep Purple in DWC

burrr

I've got this deep purple that germinated back on Oct 12th and has spent the last month and a half in a hempy dixie cup. She's the only girl in her litter, so she gets the closet all to her self. She's in a plastic storage box with a hydrofarm air dripper. It has about 4 gallons of nutes soultion to pull from. I'm running GH nutes at 500ppm and 5.8 ph. Lighting is a 400watt plantmax MH turned down to 250 watts and raised up high.
DSC007164.JPG

here she is a couple weeks ago w/ her brothers
DSC004284.JPG
shes back/right

My deep purple grow took an unusual turn, she's moved to a new grow room.
After harvesting my first medical grow of two plants I got way more smell than I was planning on, especially during the harvest and first day of dry time. My neighbors noticed, and I got nervous.
This got me reading up on medical marijuanta laws, just in case i got a knock on the door from Leo. I had tried to keep my grow 100% compliant, and thought I was good to go. I have a teenager living in the house, who is responsible and a non smoker. I read about a case where 2 parents were charged w/ felony child abuse for manufacturing a controlled substance in the home of a child, even though they both had cards. I enjoy peace and quiet at the house, and don't want Leo up in my biz, or taking my kid.
So after one grow, I've taken the herb garden out of the house and moved to the industrial side of town.
I've Co-Oped my grow with another card holder. He has a great 10x12 room for us to use. He has a couple scraggly looking old plants that have mites, fungus gnats, and were planted in dirt. We've transplanted the dirt plants into hydro and gone to war with the mites. We did a room bomb, folier azamax, and hydro azamax. Its been about 4 days since the bomb, and we still have live mites. I was scoping a leaf w/ a 60x magnifier and could see fresh eggs and even a live mite. It startled the shit out of me when I scoped the live mite, with his chompers biting away.

Room conditions- 65 degrees, 30% humidity
Nute mix- 10-10-5 ml of GH flora series. vegan blend, floralicious plus additives. Azamax added at the lightest recommended dose to the nutes.
running about 600 ppm and 5.9 ph. The Ph has been rising daily and getting corrected.
Also added a little hydrozyme, 2ml per gallon.
purplestepsisters.jpg

Don't know where you are from but it says " where it is cold" if that means Colorado yes it has come up a few times, parents with children getting charged for growing a "controlled" substance with minors in the house BUT !!!!!!!!

There are a few lawyers here in Colorado that specialize in MMJ law and have not lost a parent yet.

Far as mites, try neem oil and one of those blue maxx 4 mos hanging bug killers.

:peace:
WillyB

:goodluck:

burr, my brother! Much respect for moving proactively best to be out in front of trouble before it begins. I am sorry about the mites I recieved clones from my Caregiver that were mite infested also but did not know until much too late. I hate mites:goodluck:

We are at day 55 on the deep purple grow, and 11 days in the new grow room.
The assorted sativas growing with the deep purple are struggling, but pulling through. I've been having to do corrections to the ph daily, it climbs back 6.4 after I bring it down to 5.8. I'm guessing this is a result of the leftover organic matter from the soil to hydro transplant getting broken down. I have a little hydrozyme in the mix.
still running about 600 ppm of GH keep it simple.

I believe the azamax has put the mites in check, along with having the room moist and cool. I have predator bugs on order.
DSC007813.JPG
DSC007824.JPG

I feel your pain with the spider mite problem. I had no mite problem whatsoever until it started getting really cold at night and the 4th week into flowering I got a mite infestation and within a few days it had spread to all my plants and was beginning to invade my veg garden! Up until that point I had had a totally organic grow and had not even used fertilizers on the plants I had in soil. I went into attack mode but the mite problem was VERY serious. I spent almost 70 bucks on 2 pyrethrin fog bombs and set them off 3 days apart. Spider mites have a 3 day life span. I also ran my dehumidifier all night for a week to keep the room warm and to slow down the mites reproductive system so they would lay less eggs. I also bought 2 "NO PEST STRIPS" which is a chemical called Dychlorvos which I would not recommend using the strips for routine pest control if being used inside a grow room inside your house. It was taken off the market a while back because there were concerns about it being dangerous to people. After a week or so the mites were all dead and it was early enough in flowering the plants did not get too stressed from the whole ordeal and I hope it will not effect the taste. This is the time of year for mites and I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few people are dealing with them. If you get clones from dispensery make sure to do a soil drench with AZAMAX. I know it sucks and chemicals are expensive but AZAMAX is worth it and you can use it in your reservoir too for fungus gnats. Stuff is vegetable base. AZAMAX and Sensizym is what I use for average bugs but for mites almost nothing will kill them so i had to bust out the heavy artillery.

Hey Burr, welcome to 420 magazine! I feel your pain about the bugs, I am currently dealing with fungus gnats. Got my azamax in the mail today and have already used it!! Hopefully you will kill them all...............................

Things are looking pretty good at the garden. My bugs showed up very late, but my vendor gave them to me free of charge. I ordered triple threat predators, and lady bugs. Most of the ladybugs handled the long shipping, but i'm not sure about the predator mites they came packed in corn husk dust and looked dead.

I had sprayed some time release pyrethium concoction a couple weeks back, just on the floor and walls. It looks like it is still releasing because most of my lady bugs are dead after one night.

I have not seen any live mites on my plants for a couple weeks now, but I still find a few eggs when scoping the leaves. after the last lady bug dies I'll get back into the azamax treatments.

I moved the deep purple plant into flowering yesterday. I will give the other mixed plants some more time to develop new roots before switching to 12/12
I am hoping to get some stretch out of the DP in the next 2 weeks, so it can sit at the same level as the hybrids. I'll swap out the MH for HPS, thats suppose to boost stretch.
DSC008193.JPG
DSC008115.JPG

The deep purple grow is looking good. Ive raised my temps a little in the room, going for upper 70's to keep my clones happier. I just swapped out the bulb to a plantmax HPS. Its the only plant under the light, so I have the ballast dimmed to 300 watts for now.
DSC008404.JPG

I had sprayed another dose of azamax after moving to the flowering room, I think the mites are in check for now. I had some yellow spots appear on just a couple of the top leaves, I wonder if its from the azamax.
DSC008416.JPG

I cut 4 clones from the bottom branches before switching to 12/12, just in case this is some awesome pheno worthy of a repeat. Its been a slow grower, but that was in the description from TGA. I picked the seeds out thinking I was growing in a closet.
DSC008496.JPG

The scraggly girls from 3 weeks ago have all recovered, and are fattening up in the veg room.
DSC008515.JPG
DSC008443.JPG

Burrr, Nice journal! Sorry to hear about the mites, but it sounds like you are getting them in check. I haven't experience them yet, and I am near the end of my first DWC grow. I like your set up and the top feed deal. Your girls are looking good. Can't wait to see how they turn out for you. I too have started my other seedling and hope they veg out nice like your veg room:goodluck:. Oh yeah nice to hear the 55day old was and is some nice smoke, and will only get better with the curing. I am on day 51 with mine and had planned on going at least till the 26th before maybe chopping. But, I didn't want to rush things due to my 12/12 hempy in the same tent she could use more attention, although she is budding nicely for the last 6weeks. I'm subscribed and ++reps for the journal. :popcorn:

We still have a few mites running around, but they are getting eaten by the remaining predators. I'll keep up with the azamax treatments as well. I hope they are just freshly hatched mites, and not full on reproducing mites.
The Deep purple has been in flower for a week now, and we added to other girls from the scaggly bunch.
We are running, per gallon, 10 ml micro, 5 ml grow,10 ml bloom, 5ml vegan booster, 1ml floroliciuos plus, 1ml hygrozyme.
777ppm, Ph set at 5.8 using ph down.
day temp 77 night temp 63, res temp 64
DSC009043.JPG
DSC009027.JPG
DSC008515.JPG

Yikes! Mites!
I raised the temps a few days ago, and a new round of mites have hatched.
I hope these are the old eggs hatching, and not new mites that have survived the azamax. I gave them another good drenching today with azamax (5ml to half a quart of water). I also hit them with my free sample of liquid ladybug, a lemon grass oil product ( smelled like dr. bronners soap). I also gave a few blasts of a time release pyrethium, just airborne above the plants and on the walls and floor around them.
The infestation appears to limited to the old leaves, on the old plants. The deep purple leaves looked clean.

I was scoping the leaves with a jewelers loop, watching mites die in the ladybug juice. It took a good drenching to kill them. I also found that I could hold the loop up to my little sony digital cam, and get a good close up of the mites.
mites_yikes.JPG
DSC009366.JPG
DSC009423.JPG

The deep purple clones appear to be pulling through.
DSC009524.JPG

The flower room,with a fresh coat of azamax juice.
DSC009272.JPG
DSC009027.JPG
DSC009043.JPG
DSC009303.JPG

happy new year!
The plants are happy at the deep purple grow. The DP is about 2 weeks into flower, and the scraggly girls are about a week into 12/12.
Temps have been going from a high of 80 down to 63 at night.
Running 800 ppm, and ph is drifting slowly up from 5.8.
I was hoping to get some stretch out of the DP these last 2 weeks, but it didn't happen. she's still a midget. I've started tying down the other girls, to keep them at the same height as the DP.
DSC009854.JPG
DSC009872.JPG
DSC009863.JPG
DSC009882.JPG
DSC009891.JPG
DSC009902.JPG
DSC009931.JPG

I have not seen any live mites in a week now. I still hate to take any chances with the little fuckers, so I've ordered up no pest strips, and small amounts of floramite and forbid. I'll hit my vegging plants with either the forbid, or floramite.
I'll let the azamax and the no pest strips handle my girls in flower.

Three weeks have past since I switched the lights to 12/12 on my deep purple plant. The plant looks good and healthy, but she sure is short. She did very little stretching after the light switch. This should give me some very dense nugs over the next 6 weeks.
DSC010713.JPG
DSC010683.JPG

She has some big knobs where the branch splits in two.
DSC010233.JPG

The girls that looked so rough 5 weeks ago are now good and strong.
2 have been in flower for about 2 weeks, and I just moved the other two girls to the flowering room today.
DSC010741.JPG
DSC010721.JPG
DSC010651.JPG
DSC010643.JPG
DSC010643.JPG
DSC010273.JPG

I believe I have won this round with the spider mites, nothing but empty shells left. I hit them with just about everything over 5 weeks.
Doctor doom fogger
time release pyrethium
lady bugs
predator mites
azamax
high humidity
low temps
lady bug juice
floramite
no-pest strips

Still have the no-pest strip hanging.

I'm gonna try a week or two using flora micro hardwater, along with the local water source (250 ppm). I have 50 ppm water at home, but I'm getting tired of lugging 6 gallon jugs to the grow site. I'm also trying a little silica supplement, pro-tekt by dynagrow.

Mix for the plants in full flower
5 ml grow, 10 ml micro, 15 ml bloom, 2 ml koolbloom, 1 ml floralicious, 5ml florablend, 2.5 ml pro-tekt

I have 3 DP clones bubbling away in thier waterfarms for another round. I might let these veg for a real long time and see how large I can get them.
DSC010162.JPG

They r looking well now.good job never had mites ever.KNOCK ON WOOD!looking like a good harvest coming to u.Temps sound good got clone's ur good to go.b safe.
Godspeed,
DnR

Hey there burrr, awesome grow dude. Every journal I look at I am impressed.

But I have a rather dumb, out of the norm. question, where did you find that stuff on your walls that looks like silver bubble wrap, I have been searching for it but I dont know what its called and anyone I ask in the lowe-depot places look at me like I'm high (which I usually am, LOL).

Thanks again and very nice....

Back
Top Bottom