Prime First-Time Outdoor/Indoor Grow

Prime

Hey! Been watching around, and just decided to register and post considering I'm starting my first grow. Its mainly outdoor(bringing indoor at night to give more light.) First and foremost, when I bring them inside I'm keeping them under 2 CFL's that are 42w(says equivalent to 150w) & 2700 lumens. I'm really new to the growing scene too, so this could not even be helping :eek:. Anyway, I picked up 2 Teen's, a GrapeFruit Haze(BC Grapefruit x Super Silver Haze) & White Russian(White Widow x AK47).. I'm starting with just 2 to get the feeling for it, and hopefully I can score some tips and help along the way!

rsz_babygfh.jpg

GFH ^

rsz_babies.jpg

White Russian in the back..

Anyway, a few things If you guys could help answer for me.. About when do I start adding the nutrients to the feeding schedule? The label on the nutes says from 8"-24" 2 oz for 5 gallons of water, so I assume once the plant is about 8 inches? or should I start already?

and finally I guess this is the most important question before anything else, but is it even feasible to do this outdoor/indoor hybrid veg growth? Are my 2 42w(150w equivalent) CFL bulbs be enough to just keep it growing?

Thanks for checkin it out! :roorrip:

P.S: The plants are a day old(in my posession) but i'm guessing there a few weeks old(cut from clone and planted in foxfarms soil)

Prime

Re: Prime First-time Outdoor/Indoor grow.

Day 2 of the grow.. Little more sunny outside so they got a lot more sunlight today... Here is a picture of them outdoors, from all I can see they look pretty healthy.

outside7.jpg

Also, since I am new to the operation, If anyone has any good insight on when I should transplant them to a bigger pot it would be much appreciated. The plants are about 7" Tall right now, the white russian might be a little taller. Also, if I were to transplant, the people at the dispensary said its better to go to 3 gallon > 5 gallon > etc.

P.S - Using 1 gallon plastic containers I received from dispensary, but am going to transplant into 3 gallon Smart Pot and from there probably work up to a 5 or 10 gallon Smart Pot.

Again any criticisms/tips would be much appreciated. Thanks for stopping by, until next time!:cool:

-Prime-

Well.. Today I decided to convert my closet into a little bit better of a home for my ladies, and reconstructed the outside of it, and put a door on it. Hung some CFL's from the top shelf, will get another clamp lamp when the ladies get a little bigger.

So here's my closet on the outside... conceiling light pretty well.
Closet14.jpg

Here's inside the closet..
2011-02-21_18-47-10_346.jpg

And a picture of the girls..
2011-02-21_18-48-15_454.jpg

Anyone know if its about time to transplant? They are in 1 Gallon containers & they are both about 8" tall. Any input is appreciated!

-Prime_

Waddup Prime! Ill join your journal bro. :goodluck:

Quick tip, if your walls are painted white, use those instead of aluminum. Aluminum creates heatspots and it might burn a few holes into your plant, BUT then again, thats if your using powerful HPS/MH. You should be fine with CFLs. Also, use the daytime color bulbs 6500k color, it should be more of a white-bluish color, much better for the plant in veg than 2700k color, yellow, lights.

Like this color :)
IMG_08776.jpg

:Namaste:

hey man thanks for the tip.. I went shopping today for light bulbs to check out more different ones, and all I could find at home depot of the daylight ones say they are 5000K.. I didn't see 1 single light bulb with 6500k, and I checked almost every one. I did however see some 6500k at Walmart, and was curious as to if it makes much difference between the 5000k and the 6500k? They both say they are "daylight" bulbs... Heres a few new pictures to show a little growth.. unfortunatley the white russian looks as if it has a calcium deficiency or something.. maybe it got nute burn.. didn't show up till after i fed it nutes yesterday. Here are some pictures of everything.

Nutes:
nutes30.jpg

Grapefruit Haze:
grapefruit13.jpg

White Russian Leaf:
spots6.jpg

WR From top:
wr_top1.jpg

White Russian:
white_russian12.jpg

i just transplanted them today into 3 gallon smart pots, and misted the soil of where i put the root ball on top of, and the soil on the top layer after bedding it. Any tips for the White Russian? She's looking a little droopy

Nah, 5000k and 6500k, not big of a difference to matter as much, especially for vegging. :Rasta:

As for the White Russian, im going to call either over/under watering. I'm not a professional at identify the differences between those. I'm going to call over watering, just let the soil dry up so the roots can start expanding in search of water. The spots, umm, i wouldn't worry too much about that for now, but if it starts to spread and increase, then you've got a problem right there.

Your nutes has nice amounts of trace elements and what not, so I don't know why you'd be experiencing deficiencies so fast. :goodluck:

Other than that they look perfect man :goodjob:

:Namaste:

As for the White Russian, im going to call either over/under watering. I'm not a professional at identify the differences between those. I'm going to call over watering, just let the soil dry up so the roots can start expanding in search of water.

Yeah, I was thinking that too.. but from all the pictures i've looked up for either a) over watering or b) under watering, they all look very similar with the wilting/curling/drooping. But the thing is, I have had them for maybe 6 days and haven't even watered them "fully" i guess you could say until yesterday with the nutes... maybe I poored a little too much, because the WR was looking healthier than the grapefruit until i watered yesterday... So maybe I overdid it a little bit or put too much in at once...

regardless! my fingers are crossed, hopefully i transplanted correctly and they continue to grow! And thanks for sticking around for my first grow xbox! any plans for a new grow journal from you any time soon bud?

Um, over watering doesn't happen to easy, especially after 1 watering. And if your saying you havent watered that often, then it could possibly be under watering.

As for me, nah, not gonna have a new journal yet, ive just got a nice Blue Dream mother plant and im gonna be making clones out of her to sell back to clubs and give away for a while. I'll probably upload pics of the mother haha, it's a bush man!

haha thats bad ass! Only one dispensary I know of around here that has blue dream clones, and last few times I went they been out.. thats a keeper man! Yea I didn't think over-watering would happen as easy either, but i'm trying to figure out what could cause the drooping in it, because it was really perky until yesterday's watering.. oh well :) Hey quick question, did you still do the 3 cups of water per day even when u upped your container size? As they are in 3 gallon ones now. a lot more soil ^_^

Ughh... trying to study for my real estate exam I have in an hour, and all I can think about are my girls... this semester is going to be rough haha

Edit: You know, if the new lightbulbs i bought(bought some new 5000K ones*daylight*) and put those in yesterday along with watering... do you think the daylight light bulbs stimulated more growth in the plant and used more water? Just a thought of maybe how it got underwatered(if that is the case)?

Plants doest necessarily use 100% of the water. It uses some of it so that i can stay hydrated, and it absorbs the nutrients in the water to grow. The bulbs just simulate the correct lighting spectrum which the plant absorbs for photosynthesis. Thats why, when it gets larger, it requires more nutriens in the water, because it has more foliage to grow.

Alright, mini update, the white russians few bottom leaves still look burned, I wonder if it got nute burn... either way.. it made a good recovery, its not drooping or wilting nearly as bad as yesterday.. I'm thinking it was an overwater issue(maybe not too much water overall, but just too much in a short period.) Either way, both girls are looking pretty right now.

Plus i went to walmart and got some 6500K CFL's(2 of them), to go with the 2 5000K CFL's, which are all 26w(100w equivalent) & 1600 Lumens.. So I got 4 of those... a smaller one that is a 14w(60w equivalent) & 1 42w(soft white) 2,100 lumens..

So.. Using 2 6500k, 3 5000K, 1 2700K @ total 9300 lumens. my closet is like 2 1/2 feet wide, 4 feet tall, 2 feet deep. Is that good enough for light?

The general rule is 2000 lumens for every square foot. And keep your CFL no more then 6 inches max away from plants as their light penetration isn't the greatest

hey you seem well versed with the CFL route mardo, I was following your grows and you use em too.. how necessary would you say it is to make a hood/reflector for the CFLs? if they aren't that far from the plants, and its only 2 plants, i just have them hanging from one of those clamp lamps with a twin lamp socket attachment so I have 2 CFL's hovering about 4-5" away from the top of the plants. Would you say it would be more beneficial to make a reflector?

Well any way to can optimize the light with a CFL the better... CFLs are defiantly and the end of light quality/power when growing the herb. CLFs I find are fairly strong in veg but start doping the ball during flower. Hoods, reflective material and quantity is what you will need for CFL. Bouncing that light around will help but will still have penetration issues. When you think you have enough my rule has been add two more lol.

During flower you want to create a full spectrum of light. Going heavy with he 2700k but leaving some 6500k in the mix. What i was told for ever 2 2700k have 1 6500k.

Im watching your grow. Things look good

sweet. thanks for the tip MadMardo! I wasn't intending on doing the flowering indoors under CFL's, that was going to be done outside. Which is why I take them in and out(its just too cold to do all outdoor right now... average temps are 55~ during the day here in california.. lucky if i hit 60~ as a high) So I was thinking let them veg indoors ,then maybe end of march, beginning of april take them outside to flower. I guess my question was more aimed toward the vegging stage rather the flowering. Or would you still say the same for the penetration for vegging too?

CFLs are not optimum for any stage. They get the job done but lags behind LED, HPS and MH for sure. I am going from CFL to MH, HPS next grow. CFL is a cheap cost effective method but you wont see any records being broken. :)

Well heres a quick update. The girls were looking pretty healthy(yesterday) when I took the pictures, for some reason the top leaf coming out of the GFH right now is twisting and like flopping down... should pull thru though.. anyway heres some pics of the girls!

White Russian: Veg day 14.
WR_3-4.jpg

WR Top View:
WR_3-4_Top.jpg

GrapeFruit Haze: Day 15 Veg
GFH_3-4.jpg

GFH Top View:
GFH_3-4_Top.jpg

^ The yellow curled up leaves on the GFH were because I was an idiot and let the CFL get too close to the leaf and the fan blew it on -_-.. but there was no major damage, just a few singed leaves. Anyway, i'll go take a picture of the top of the GFH right now and add it in a little bit!

Back
Top Bottom