Indoor Soil Multiple Strain Journal - 2011

bambee

Casey Jones, Lemon Skunk, Purple Kush, Sour Diesel, Jack Herer, Apollo 13
Grow Journal

@tKhrist and @bambee

Just joined the forum, but I don't have earlier pictures of our grow setup and plants. Two of the strains we grew from germination, and images of that would have been nice but I completely forgot about documenting everything in the beginning. Our oldest plants are Casey Jones and Purple Kush at about 9 weeks. Next are the other clones Jack Herer and Apollo 13 which are around 7 weeks. Last are the seedlings Lemon Skunk, and Sour Diesel which I believe are about 5, maybe 6 weeks.

Our original grow room layout had Casey Jones, and Purple Kush hogging most of the 1000w light. But, now that both of those plants are reaching greater heights we have moved them to the back of the room under the lower lit section, and placed most of the younger plants under the 1000w HPS.

Two of the younger clones had spidermites about a month ago, and we ended up treating all the plants with AzaMax (just in case) and haven't seen any indication of mites since. So we are currently pest free. I highly recommend AzaMax for anyone dealing with spidermite problems. I can't take credit for discovering this gem though, this one is all tKhrist.

Here is a picture of the original layout (older plants in front, younger in back):
original_layout_purplekush_and_casey_jones_under_1000w_light_.jpg

Here is a picture of the new layout (younger plants in frount, older in back):
new_layout_view_2.jpg

Grow Room Information:
Growing with soil
Air-cooled room
Light(s): 1000w HPS with reflector, 3 26w (1000 lumens) bulbs on a 3-way splitter, and a 600w bulb.
Medium: Perlite, Vermiculite, Sphagnum Peat Moss, Dolomitic and Calcitic Limestone (pH adjuster).
Room Temp: 70-75 degrees
Current Nutrients: Big Bloom, Grow Big, and Super Thrive

All plants mentioned below are being grown indoors. Currently our setup is a bit low budget, we are doing what we can with what we currently have. Hopefully in the next few months we will be able to finish financing our grow room. After we finish harvesting these plants we plan to switch to Sea of Green to test out that type of grow method, so expect to see a grow journal for SOG later this year. I think we'll probably have it set up to begin growing by end of Sept/Oct.

Now on to the fun stuff!! Here are pictures and information for each strain we are currently growing. Casey Jones is my boyfriends baby, and the Purple Kush is my baby. The rest of the plants we work on together, but these two are our special babies. Moreso for me since Purple Kush is my very first attempt at growing. The boy has been growing for over a year.

Strain: Casey Jones (clone)
casey_jones2.jpg

Pot Size: 15 Gal.
Stage: Vegetative
How long in this stage (so far): 9 weeks
Type: Sativa (80%)/Indica (20%)
THC: High 15-20%
Height: Tall
Flowering Period: 7-9 weeks

Recommended for:
- Stress Management
- Joint/Muscle Pain
- Anxiety
- ADD
- Chronic Pain
- Cramps [Including Menstrual]

My first grow attempt [bambee]
Strain: Purple Kush (clone)
3789.jpg

Purple Kush Closeup
4549.jpg

Pot Size: 15 Gal.
Stage: Vegatative
How long in this stage (so far): 9 weeks
Type: Mostly Indica
THC: Strong 15-20%
Height: 2 to 3 feet
Flowering Period: 8 to 10 weeks

Recommended for:
- Pain
- Depression disorder
- Anxiety

Strain: Jack Herer (clone)
jack_herer7.jpg

Pot Size: 5 Gal.
Stage: Vegetative
How long in this stage (so far): 5 weeks
Type: Sativa (90%)/Indica (10%)
Flowering Period: 9 to 11 weeks

Recommended for:
- Anxiety neurosis
- ADD
- ADHD
- Fibromylagia
- Epilepsy
- Multiple sclerosis
- Seizure-related illnesses

This next plant pictured might be a male plant, we are sure yet. Keeping a close eye on it though.
Strain: Lemon Skunk (germinated seeds)
lemon_skunk5.jpg

How long in this stage: 7 weeks
Type: Sativa (60%)/Indica (40%)
THC: High Around 20%
Flowering Period: 8 to 9 weeks

Recommended for:
- Pain Relief
- Depression
- Nausea
- Anorexia
- Migraines

Strain: Sour Diesel (germinated seeds)
sour_diesel5.jpg

How long in this stage: 7 weeks
Type: Sativa (90%)/Indica (10%)
THC: High 20% or more
Flowering Period: 10 to 12 weeks

Recommended for:
- Migrane
- Headache
- Depression
- Nausea
- Chronic Pain

Strain: Apollo 13 (clone)
apollo_13.jpg

How long in this stage: 5 weeks
Type: Sativa-Dominant
Height: Medium
Flowering Period: 7 to 8 weeks

Recommended for:
- Back Pain

Great job on your post, your ladies look very healthy and happy!! I am excited to see how your garden grows, your ladies seem to be about as far along as mine are right now. Good luck with your grow and if ya get a chance, check out my first attempt!!

Looking good bambee :thumb:

I must say nice setup, even though you want to make it better as you go. Most of us do that too. From pot and light size, you should grow some monsters in there. :Rasta: Great looking plants too! This should be fun to watch. Best of luck! :yummy:

We have been working on a budget for new equipment. What we were looking at for lights are the 1000w dual-arc MH/HPS bulbs. For ballast's we prefer the Galaxy 1000w ballast, so we want to get 2 more of those, a few more 6" axial fans, and Magnum XXXL 6" air-cooled reflector hoods for the lights.

Any suggestions for equipment? Would this be a good upgrade? Pretty much anything we get right now is probably better than our current setup, but we are looking to complete our room so we can just worry about growing from here on out :) There is a company in town that gives a discount when you show your caregivers card, so a lot of this stuff we can get for a fairly decent price in town thankfully but if anyone has better ideas feel free to let me know :)

Thank you for all the comments so far! I am quickly learning to love this forum and everyone that writes in it. Everyone is so happy and helpful :)

Also something to mention, originally there was more equipment. Unfortunately, during a move-in to a new house a few months ago all the equipment we had was stolen, along with the crop that we were preparing to harvest that week.... and laptops. Have not been able to find the culprits.. People these days....

So yeah, this current grow room is what we have accomplished in the last 2-3 months since having everything stolen.

Small update :)

Watered the girls today, we pumped them full last week with nutrients so this week we watered the smaller plants (5 gallon pots) with a half gallon each. Took a full gallon and only added super thrive to it, about a teaspoonful, then split the gallon between two plants. Are larger girls (15 gallon pots) took about a gallon each.

Anyway, here is a picture of the tub we are using to dechlorinate our tap water each week before watering:
dechlorinating_water_tub1.jpg

Pic of SuperThrive being added to the gallon of water:
super_thrive_water.jpg

Watering the girls -- you can see a little bit of the nutrient deficiency showing on 1-2 of the plants. Last month we had a small plumbing problem, and a few of the plants were soaked with bad water. They are slowly coming back around. We fixed the pipe problem, so even if we end up losing the 1-2 plants we won't have to worry about it in the future.
watering_the_girls.jpg

And again... because I'm so proud of my plant...
check out the beautiful purple that's starting to show on my kush!!
purple_kush5.jpg

One more pic, probably should post this under a different topic but figured I should add it in my grow journal. Found some strange spotting on a Sour Diesel leaf. This doesn't seem normal, I'm a noob but I am pretty sure I shouldn't be having spots. Maybe this plant had nutrient deficiencies I overlooked, and now its just in its healing stage? Any ideas?
weird_spotting.jpg

The boy is installing a new 100w HPS light to the mix as I fill this out :) so by the end of the week our freshly watered plants should be flourishing. Until then!

One more pic, probably should post this under a different topic but figured I should add it in my grow journal. Found some strange spotting on a Sour Diesel leaf. This doesn't seem normal, I'm a noob but I am pretty sure I shouldn't be having spots. Maybe this plant had nutrient deficiencies I overlooked, and now its just in its healing stage? Any ideas?
weird_spotting.jpg

I am also a noob but I had the same issue happen to some of my plants. I will post a few useful links for you that helped me to correct the issue. My leafs looked almost exactly the same, it was only happening to the newest of growths which started turning almost a bright lime or neon green/yellow. Then it began to progress to the next size fan leaf. I caught it early enough and saved my babies but mine ended up being a faulty ph meter giving inaccurate readings (un-calibrated). My leafs looked just like that and from what I read, the plant was lacking either zinc or phosporus because of a high soil ph...was at 8.2. Not saying that is the case in yours but mine did look similar. I would suggest checking your soil ph first... do you test your ph of your feedings?

Leaf photos and nutrient issues..
https://www.--------------------/Thanks-ThankYou.htm

A great post on this site on how to diagnose and deal with plant issues.
Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver - Pictorial

Some more details about nutrients and plant issues
Ed Rosenthal's Marijuana Grow Tips

Good luck!!

We have been working on a budget for new equipment. What we were looking at for lights are the 1000w dual-arc MH/HPS bulbs. For ballast's we prefer the Galaxy 1000w ballast, so we want to get 2 more of those, a few more 6" axial fans, and Magnum XXXL 6" air-cooled reflector hoods for the lights.

Any suggestions for equipment? Would this be a good upgrade? Pretty much anything we get right now is probably better than our current setup, but we are looking to complete our room so we can just worry about growing from here on out :) There is a company in town that gives a discount when you show your caregivers card, so a lot of this stuff we can get for a fairly decent price in town thankfully but if anyone has better ideas feel free to let me know :)

Thank you for all the comments so far! I am quickly learning to love this forum and everyone that writes in it. Everyone is so happy and helpful :)

Also something to mention, originally there was more equipment. Unfortunately, during a move-in to a new house a few months ago all the equipment we had was stolen, along with the crop that we were preparing to harvest that week.... and laptops. Have not been able to find the culprits.. People these days....

So yeah, this current grow room is what we have accomplished in the last 2-3 months since having everything stolen.

I have put my whole setup together virtually all off of Craigslist. I too was on a budget, I actually spent way more than expected due to me getting so into doing everything right but still saved a ton of money by shopping on Craigslist... check it out... I bought my whole hydrohut tent, new in the box, with a cool tube, 400w hps magnetic ballast and 400w HPS Ushio bulb, extra yo yos, ducting and a hydrofarm 6" 400cfm fan on craigslist...guess how much for all of it....250$.... you just got to be somewhat patient, be well researched on whats quality and whats junk, and check 2-3 times a day, because the best deals do go very quick!! I just would be safe and talk to the person on the phone beforehand, always make sure you can test out the gear first, and never give them your address...always go to theirs, always bring the exact amount of cash you are paying, maybe a little extra because sometimes growers/sellers have extra they are looking to get rid of..

Overall I have purchased some really nice stuff, secondhand on craigslist. Just my 2cents... to save you some $$

That is a great idea! The 1000w light we have right now was actually purchased from someone on Craigslist. For some reason I didn't even consider checking Craigslist for the rest of the of equipment though. I do remember seeing some pretty decent packages, just at the time didn't have the funds to purchase. I think I'm gonna have to go peruse over there for a bit :) thank you for reminding me!!

I haven't checked the soil PH, but I shall make sure to do that first before trying any new nutrients. Thank you for the links Icemud!

We have been growing under a 600w Metal Halide apparently.. I don't know how I confused that with a 1000w HPS. Guess I need to read a bit more about lights.

Either way, today we installed a 1000w HPS (I triple checked this time before posting :) ). It's in a SunSystem Hood (not the Magnum we wanted... but this is just a temporary install until we finish getting our moolah together for our own equipment)

Here are a few pictures of the new light/hood combo. The hood even has a fan to keep the air around the top of the plants cool.. which is good because this light puts out a lot of heat otherwise.

11303.jpg

4551.jpg

2900.jpg

Had a hard time taking a decent pic in the room with the new light, next time I will have to take pics with the light off. But here is a overhead (somewhat close up) shot of the plants under the new light. They seem to be growing just fine :) I sprayed the leaves down with some dechlorinated water (nothing added to it of course) to get the dust and debris off after moving them around. I will post a few more pics in another day or two. I want to give them some time to react to the new overhead.

3794.jpg

See you guys later :)

Quick update, just watered the girls today (no nutes). Thought I should show how well they have been doing, considering how much they have grown this past week we are mulling over the idea of starting the flowering period next week.

Casey Jones is already well over 3 ft. tall, and my purple kush is topping out at almost 3 ft. Both are very bushy!! The younger clones have exploded with growth, and have dozens of new nodes since last week. In fact, all the younger plants are about the same height now.

Even though a few of the strains are 2 weeks behind, they have managed to catch up with the new lighting system. So far, progress is looking
fantastic. I'm excited to start flowering soon. :)

Three overhead shots of all the girls snuggled together:
overhead11.jpg

overhead2.jpg

overhead3.jpg

Height of the younger plants:
height_younger.jpg

One close-up of Casey Jones:
close-upcj.jpg

Height of Casey Jones:
heightcj.jpg

Two close-ups of the purple kush:
close-uppk1.jpg

close-uppk2.jpg

Height of Purple Kush:
heightpk.jpg

Started flowering 17 days ago, and thought it was time to post pictures of the growth. All of our plants were clones, except for four seedings (sour diesel, and lemon skunk). Out of the four seedlings, we had one male (one of the lemon skunks). I unfortunately have misplaced the picture I took of the male plant... but if I find it I will post it later. Pretty certain we caught it early enough, I don't know how many days it takes male sacs to form and open, but it was maybe day 6 when these teeny tiny nodes started showing up. We pulled it, and so far looks like no harm has taken place. Keep ya posted on that.

Here are the new pictures of our equipment, the new buds, and the room setup in general. Enjoy. :)

(1) 1000w HPS Ballast
(1) 1000w Switchable Ballast
(New installation today)

two_1000w_ballasts.jpg

(1) Magnum XXXL 6" Hood (New Installation today)
(1) Fitted with Dual Arc MH/HPS 1000w bulb
magnum_xxxl_6in.jpg

New ventilation system implemented in the grow room.
In and Out vents between the two hoods, then finally exiting the room.
SO far is working very well.

new_ventilation1.jpg

Massive plant growth since starting the flowering stage.
height9.jpg

Purple Kush (new buds forming)
purple_kush_tops.jpg

purple_kush_tops_2.jpg

Casey Jones (new buds forming)
casey_jones_tops.jpg

Close up of buds on one of the younger plants (pretty sure this one is a Jack Herer).
more_buds2.jpg

Exploding baby buds! Sour Diesel is mostly showing in this shot.
lots_of_buds.jpg

1000w Dual Arc MH/HPS bulb, and 1000w HPS bulb in place and in action.
1_dual_arc_mh-hps_1000w_bulb_and_1_1000w_hps.jpg

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info! :blushsmile:

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide: How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to abandoned journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world!

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

I completely forgot to update!!!! I finished summer semester right before harvest, and then fall semester started right after so it completely slipped my mind.

420Cyclist here is all my update for after harvest, can you move this journal to Completed? I will not be posting any more updates to this journal anymore since I will be starting a new grow journal within the next month or two.

I only had a camera phone to take pictures so I apologize for the low quality.
Lost some of the crop to nutrient lock, but managed to keep at least half of the
crop so we were still able to meet the needs of our patients. We are in the process
building a new room for vegatation, to go along with out current room which we have been using for both vegatation and flowering. So expect a new improved grow journal
soon! All of our time can be spent cultivating so our next crop will be perfect.

Within the month we will have a veg room, a flower room, a co2 pump, more lights, and clones (hopefully)...
with the new ban on dispensaries in Michigan I am not sure where I will be able to find clones. We might have
to grow from seedlings. Our next grow will also be done using the screen of green method.

These pictures are not much, I plan to have a good camera for the next grow journal.

7355.jpg

5454.jpg

6392.jpg

3858.jpg

4588.jpg

2969.jpg

11360.jpg

Thanks for following! Promise the next one will be better!

- Bambee

Back
Top Bottom